Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

namesake posted:

Probably would be a pretty good gimmick to speak to people coming back from France about what duty free they've brought back and how much they'd owe if we left the EU and started restricting personal inports/charging tax on them.

booze & fags are cheaper in france, but 'duty free' it ain't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's possible that the "stupid reason" was that a majority of the respondents did in fact say yes.

without meaning to imply anything about this particular piece that i've not seen, it's always worth remembering that journalists being lazy / under time pressure are notorious for seeking out candidates for vox pops / picking in editing those that will fit the story they've already written.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well at least there's something still good in the world :unsmith:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

SybilVimes posted:

Apparently they're currently cracking down real hard on imported prescription drugs anyway, even for things that are technically legal to buy mail order / prescription free (like estrogen).

They would have to actually start searching packages for it to make a difference- it's anecdotal, but over the last ten years or so I have ordered hundreds of things from abroad, many for work that contained liquids and/or metal parts. I have a grand total of a single package being intercepted, opened and checked by customs (took the bastards about a month to decide a PCI card wasn't a bomb or whatever).

Ddraig posted:

Some money has changed hands there

Probably, but I'm not going to worry unless customs starts checking packages or the law changes round.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Sorry, but that piglet believes that Hitler did nothing wrong.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Leon Trottersky

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Clearly it should have been named Snowball.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

HortonNash posted:

Sorry I was just having trouble thinking of something worth risking receiving Chinese counterfeit medicine over, when an NHS prescription is ~£8 (or free if you have an exemption) and the only thing I can think of are the controlled drugs. Happy to be wrong thoug.

Getting hold of hormone therapy is a loving nightmare because of the waiting list.

I will eternally scream at any of my friends who are dumb enough to buy it online because don't gently caress with drugs you can't control but it's a huge market and legal.

Cerv posted:

booze & fags are cheaper in france, but 'duty free' it ain't

The pros get it from Belgium.

I should probably not use the word "professional" there, even in short hand, but that's where you get the cheap stuff these days if you know what you're doing.

DesperateDan posted:

They would have to actually start searching packages for it to make a difference- it's anecdotal, but over the last ten years or so I have ordered hundreds of things from abroad

[ask] me about the royal mail's ability to search packages.

Hint: they can't. They absolutely loving can't do it, they never will be able to do it, and the odds of them catching you on a random search are slim. They will make an example if they catch you though, so if you suspect tampering you should change postal name and address immediately because if they have an excuse to search your mail and then build a case you are hosed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Four legs good, two legs bad! IT'S HAPPENING

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gonzo McFee posted:

So what does anyone know about getting out of leases?

Moved into a new flat on Tuesday to find out that all the repairs that the letting agency said would be done had not been done, that there were a whole host of other problems with the place such as leaking pipes and the security phone not working, that I couldn't get a mobile phone signal anywhere in the flat and that the place hadn't been cleaned at all (Bathtub full of dirt, toilet covered with piss, dead insects everywhere and toenails of the old tenants under the bed etc).

They told me that there would be a two week cooling off period from when I paid the deposit so if I changed my mind I could get out but after looking online I see that there is no way to legally enforce it and after looking through the paperwork I see they haven't bothered to write it down.

I'm pretty hosed, ain't I?

Raise it with the lettng agency first. (put everything in writing and keep notes for yourself, because all lettings agencies are staffed by incompetent, lying bastards.)

If they don't fix things, raise it with the landlord directly. (again, put everything in writing and keep notes for yourself, because all landlords are incompetent, lying bastards.)

If he doesn't fix things, then here is the proceedure for carrying out the repairs yourself and deducting the costs from your rent:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales...f_disrepair.htm

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mister Adequate posted:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sorry, but that piglet believes that Hitler did nothing wrong.

Actually that piglet agrees with this thread about everything 100%

except he thinks that that racism is over

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Spent my bank holiday Saturday and Sunday stood in a field with a bass drum strapped to my front. Now have amusing tan lines and am possibly suffering from a little sun stroke. A good weekend.

Also Miliband is totes gonna nationalise the railways guys, it's gonna happen and that's not just the dehydration talking.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bozza posted:

Spent my bank holiday Saturday and Sunday stood in a field with a bass drum strapped to my front. Now have amusing tan lines and am possibly suffering from a little sun stroke. A good weekend.

Also Miliband is totes gonna nationalise the railways guys, it's gonna happen and that's not just the dehydration talking.

If you're really lucky, like me, those tan lines might be permanent - the tan I got last year at Waddington still hasn't faded, and isn't going to now, oh well.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

If you're really lucky, like me, those tan lines might be permanent - the tan I got last year at Waddington still hasn't faded, and isn't going to now, oh well.

Since I've been doing drum corps, I've basically had the oddest assortment of tan lines during the summer. Obviously pasty white feet and brown legs is a standard, when I used to play brass used to also have nice white hands from my rehearsal gloves. These days it's just the twat marks from my drum harness.

It's always a good anecdote at least for explaining how I'm so tanned by mid May.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I cycle a lot. By the end of the summer my arms and the back of my hands are a rich brown tan. My fingers, which are curled around the handle bars, are the pale white of a dead fish.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

You must lead a happy lifestyle! for good reasons, not the wrong ones

All I tend to get is modafinil/armodafinil, which I have been previously prescribed but can get cheaper than prescription and in whatever variety I desire online, direct to the door. It's the exact same stuff that I got from the pharmacy here, boxed, serial numbered and checkable. I don't think I can name names (you can't in TCC so I won't here) but the company is well known. I get other stuff for various family members for pretty much the same reasons. Counterfeit stuff is next to unheard of provided you use a well known firm (you can do pretty much the same thing within the UK, with an "online consultation" from a doctor, it just costs more because they have to pay a doctor to sit there and risk rubber stamping hundreds of scripts).

Had no idea about all that. I'll keep that in mind should any family members need to use that sort of service. Thanks for 'splaining.

I guess I'm personally lucky in that because I have a condition that qualifies I have a medical exemption from prescription charges, otherwise it would probably cost a lot. My main prescription is a controlled substance though, so no online pharmacy for me if I didn't have the exemption. The other stuff, dressings and catheters are actually insanely expensive privately. I'm not entirely sure how the manufacturers justify the silly price of catheters.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Do you really want to stick a bargain store special down your pee hole?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's kind of depressing seeing the amount of gambling services advertised on TV with smiling happy people as the face of them. Sign of the times, I guess.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Ddraig posted:

It's kind of depressing seeing the amount of gambling services advertised on TV with smiling happy people as the face of them. Sign of the times, I guess.
Have you seen the Ladbrokes bus stop ads? They make me want to scrawl a link on them to a remedial probability course.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Advertising has always been rather morally bankrupt. I think the worst one I've seen that wasn't gambling related was that creepy ad where they have Audrey Hepburn advertising a chocolate bar.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

HortonNash posted:

I'm not entirely sure how the manufacturers justify the silly price of catheters.

They're taking the piss, mate.

Sandpaper Wank
Oct 28, 2007
It's kind of uncomfortable
Oh dear

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well that's made my day.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Well, the party's over. Time to find a new method of expressing 'common sense'

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Trickjaw posted:

Well, the party's over. Time to find a new method of expressing 'common sense'

I wish I'd expressed a nice big pile of common sense into a parcel before the address was withdrawn.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

StarkingBarfish posted:

I wish I'd expressed a nice big pile of common sense into a parcel before the address was withdrawn.
I was nice enough to include a handful of jelly beans. I hope they liked them, so many different colours :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ukip, a non-vampiric and non-poo poo eating party.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I was going to send a pile of my own poo poo, but I decided to be much meaner and just send them their own leaflets.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

UKIP forced to cancel Freepost address after being sent FAECES in the post With some pictures of what people were sending.

also this picture

stare into those eyes :stonk:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

HortonNash posted:

Had no idea about all that. I'll keep that in mind should any family members need to use that sort of service. Thanks for 'splaining.

I guess I'm personally lucky in that because I have a condition that qualifies I have a medical exemption from prescription charges, otherwise it would probably cost a lot. My main prescription is a controlled substance though, so no online pharmacy for me if I didn't have the exemption. The other stuff, dressings and catheters are actually insanely expensive privately. I'm not entirely sure how the manufacturers justify the silly price of catheters.

Oh aye, it only makes sense if it's cheaper e.t.c, but for now it's magical for me.

With pretty much any kind of medical necessity like that they charge as much as they can get away with, I remember my mum having to have special dressings for wound care, and while she got them free on prescription, they would have cost a metric fucktonne otherwise.

twoot posted:

also this picture

fucks sake, I was going to go get some sleep but now the image of farage on the vinegar strokes is burned into my retinas

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Assuming it's a shop, but lol nonetheless.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Cerv posted:

Do you really want to stick a bargain store special down your pee hole?

Well, when you put it like that :)

But it still feels very wasteful using 2x £1.50 (NHS tariff) catheters per day for the rest of my life.

The great thing about catheters on the NHS is that they let you pick the brand and type you want, there's hundreds to choose from (self-lubing, male, female, low friction, curved tip, rubber tip, the options are endless, and they come in a range of gauges too), but you get used to "your type" and using one that isn't yours is weird and feels wrong. When I had my urostomy done (1998), the hospital sent me home with a bag of samples containing over a hundred types of catheter to try out, and then I got the GP to prescribe the ones I wanted.

Anyway, enough about pee pipes.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Holy poo poo, that turd Huhne really doesn't understand PR, does he?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/04/i-was-guilty-constance-briscoe-decption

That has to be the poorest and most spiteful attempt at a hit piece I've ever read. He shows no contrition whatsoever.

Chris Huhne posted:

Although I was guilty, I justified my denial to myself by saying that it was a relatively minor offence committed by 300,000 other people (according to AA polling)....

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

StarkingBarfish posted:

Holy poo poo, that turd Huhne really doesn't understand PR, does he?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/04/i-was-guilty-constance-briscoe-decption

That has to be the poorest and most spiteful attempt at a hit piece I've ever read. He shows no contrition whatsoever.

"A British court somehow found someone not guilty of Libel for once, but now that they're not in a position to respond because of extraneous legal matters I will make defamatory remarks and insinuate their guilt out of spite"

We all already knew he needed a good solid brick to the face but what a loving wanker.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Just in case you thought Jamie Oliver was in any way a decent person:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/13/jamie-oliver-praises-ukip_n_3264693.html

Huffington Post posted:

Jamie Oliver has praised Ukip, saying he "loves" the way Nigel Farage's party is "stirring it up".

The Naked Chef made a rare foray into politics, saying he was "disillusioned" with David Cameron's government because of a lack of support for his healthy eating crusade.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Brovine posted:

Just in case you thought Jamie Oliver was in any way a decent person:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/13/jamie-oliver-praises-ukip_n_3264693.html

Yes, this article is nearly a year old and was what prompted Jamie Oliver to enter the list of histories greatest monsters...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

RMT have suspended tonight's tube strike, shocking nobody.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Bozza posted:

Yes, this article is nearly a year old and was what prompted Jamie Oliver to enter the list of histories greatest monsters...

That'll teach me to check the date first. Sorry!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Spangly A posted:

"A British court somehow found someone not guilty of Libel for once, but now that they're not in a position to respond because of extraneous legal matters I will make defamatory remarks and insinuate their guilt out of spite"

We all already knew he needed a good solid brick to the face but what a loving wanker.

He needs to forgive and move on and try to look on the bright side of things. He may have lost his career as a cabinet minister but that just opened up the prospect of a new job, as an extremely mediocre newspaper columnist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mature student information request. After ive done my exams at the end of the month can I sign on for the summer break? I'll be looking for some temp job obviously but if I cant get one am I allowed or am I still officially employed sort of.

• Locked thread