Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Yodzilla posted:

Even though every keeps saying magic is OP I gave it a shot and found it to be boring as hell. Then I discovered that loving punches are the true secret best weapon in Dark Souls II.

It is pretty OP, I don't think anyone said it was interesting since it usually devolves into spamming your preferred spell. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Even though every keeps saying magic is OP I gave it a shot and found it to be boring as hell.

It is OP, but that doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yodzilla posted:

Even though every keeps saying magic is OP I gave it a shot and found it to be boring as hell. Then I discovered that loving punches are the true secret best weapon in Dark Souls II.

Magic is both OP and boring as hell. When you can kill most enemies without even getting near them, things get dull pretty fast. You barely have to dodge during boss fights because you can just sit 20 feet away and plink away at their health, occasionally moving when they manage to get close. It breaks the balance of the game because it basically allows you to not play the game since your ignoring every enemies attacks.

As long as magic has long range I don't think it will ever be balanced. Pyromancy is the closest magic comes to being balanced since it at least requires you to get close to the enemy, and the long cast times combined with short projectile range means it can put you in danger. Designing an entire magic system that only works at close range would be tricky though.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How often am I supposed to come across new armor? I'm fighting the Pursuer and I still have the armor I started the game with. My dude is level 29 fwiw.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Upmarket Mango posted:

How often am I supposed to come across new armor? I'm fighting the Pursuer and I still have the armor I started the game with. My dude is level 29 fwiw.

Pursuer is very very early on in the game. That said, immediately after killing him for the first time (assuming you're on the rise by the sea) you can drop down into the hole just ahead to pick up a full set of heavy armor.

Your armor isn't as important as you think, I know lots of guys who did several NGs in their starting gear because they like the look of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Not terribly often, but if you look around in the area after the Pursuer you'll almost certainly get what you wish.

Souls games have never done the "constant upgrades" deal like most RPGs. You can beat the whole game in your starting armor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

There's armor just on the other side of the Pursuer that you can take to the end of the game if you want. Plus the hollows and the ironclad (the big metal turtle) can drop armor. You're still in the first area though so it's not that surprising you're with default stuff.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't believe this.

Killing Licia with the Crushed Eye Orb, never mind that it's described as a mission of righteous vengeance, earns you a sin point if I'm not mistaken.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Magic is for scrubs. :colbert: It's all about punching enemies in the face.

Even if the hitbox for punching sometimes suck.

edit: Whoa, what? Why? She loving invades you two times. How are we the bad guy here?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Dark Chasm of Old zones sound kind of annoying and with no great reward -- do you guys think they are worth doing or should I just kill Grandahl for Dragon Tooth which seems like easily the best loot out of the whole process?

edit: I'm not a hex build

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I don't believe this.

Killing Licia with the Crushed Eye Orb, never mind that it's described as a mission of righteous vengeance, earns you a sin point if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I noticed that too and don't get it. She's the only NPC I've killed so it can't be anything else, I didn't even do the Creighton/Pate quest line.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

The Dark Chasm of Old zones sound kind of annoying and with no great reward -- do you guys think they are worth doing or should I just kill Grandahl for Dragon Tooth which seems like easily the best loot out of the whole process?

You get the Dragon Chime from him. Dragon Tooth (Havel's weapon) is found in Dragon Aerie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So from what I'm reading, for Blue Flame to compare to staves as a catalyst, I'd need a staff anyway to buff it with crystal magic weapon. While I already put stuff into it to make it magic +4, and made the black witch's staff +10, it seems like my dark caitha's chime +10 and magic staff of amana +10 are objectively better otherwise, though certainly less elegant. Blue Flame is also weaker than my lightning morningstar without CMW.

quote:

Magic is both OP and boring as hell.

Magic's op and battlemages are fun as hell. :colbert:

e: Actually, I could use the BWS to use CMW on Blue Flame, replacing my offhand caitha's chime, then Blue Flame for everything else.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 4, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Umberger posted:

You get the Dragon Chime from him. Dragon Tooth (Havel's weapon) is found in Dragon Aerie.

^^^ Right, my bad, that's the caster item I was referring to. It's the thing I want.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

pmchem posted:

Facing and beating the challenges and the boss should be a big enough reward in itself. :colbert:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

^^^ Right, my bad, that's the caster item I was referring to. It's the thing I want.

If you want that then sure, but the Dark Chasm of Old content isn't particularly difficult, and if you're a caster build (which I imagine you are if you want that item) they're even moreso easy. It's 4~6 enemies and a boss that's pretty weak to Pyromancy/Great Lightning Spear spam.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't know how early in the game I still was. I've already put like 14 hours into this game, jeez.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Demon of Song instakilled me from full health when it died :wtc:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Magic is for scrubs. :colbert: It's all about punching enemies in the face.

Even if the hitbox for punching sometimes suck.

edit: Whoa, what? Why? She loving invades you two times. How are we the bad guy here?

When does she invade the player? I know you get the option to invade her eventually, but I don't remember her doing anything before that.

And looking around, apparently you do get sin for it. Or at least it lowers the Sinner's Sword stats, which would suggest you do.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Umberger posted:

If you want that then sure, but the Dark Chasm of Old content isn't particularly difficult, and if you're a caster build (which I imagine you are if you want that item) they're even moreso easy. It's 4~6 enemies and a boss that's pretty weak to Pyromancy/Great Lightning Spear spam.

Guess I'll give it a shot, it's just that the requirement to use an effigy to open portals seemed like a real-turn off.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So I ran through 3 memories, and did the Giant King last, but I only have a single Giant Soul it seems? Did I miss something? Can I not just run to the dead giants at the end of the memories and grab the soul then get out of the memory? The giants are kind of a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kimmalah posted:

When does she invade the player? I know you get the option to invade her eventually, but I don't remember her doing anything before that.

And looking around, apparently you do get sin for it. Or at least it lowers the Sinner's Sword stats, which would suggest you do.

You know she's the Nameless Usurper right? She invades you in Drangelic Castle and then Undead Crypt.

^^^^^
You should be able to a giant soul if you check the corpse of the giant at the end that lets you get out of the memory. Mind taking a pic of your inventory? You probably have it but are mistaking the big yellow orb giant flame icon as the Giant Soul.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Babyface Mingo posted:

So I ran through 3 memories, and did the Giant King last, but I only have a single Giant Soul it seems? Did I miss something? Can I not just run to the dead giants at the end of the memories and grab the soul then get out of the memory? The giants are kind of a pain in the rear end to deal with.

I've definitely heard people recommend you just run past everything in some of them because otherwise you'll get pretty bogged down/run out of time. I don't see why you couldn't just beeline for the dead giant and get the soul, unless there's some requirement I don't know about.

Shindragon posted:

You know she's the Nameless Usurper right? She invades you in Drangelic Castle and then Undead Crypt.

^^^^^
You should be able to a giant soul if you check the corpse of the giant at the end that lets you get out of the memory. Mind taking a pic of your inventory? You probably have it but are mistaking the big yellow orb giant flame icon as the Giant Soul.

No, I didn't know that because I didn't really see or hear anything during the fight that would connect them to Licia. But I admit I did kill the usurper pretty fast.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 4, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does backing up a save file trigger VAC shutdown?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah that's all you have to do. Though to get all of them you need to go Black Gulch and the Dragon Shrine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So here's a fun fact: you can't do loving sprint attacks with blue flame in combat. This thing kind of sucks. It seems like it's more for people who only want to use a spell or two, not everything. It's not the best thing if you're dedicated to one or two, but if you use all three, and don't care, it's fine. I'm going back to the morning star/staff of amana/caitha's chime. It's more powerful and less effort.

e: Actually a balanced BWS is pretty good because you can use GRS without a chime, and it's only 30 damage weaker than the magic staff of amana.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 4, 2014

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

I know in one of the memories at least you get the soul from a giant at the end, its the one where you meet the NPC sitting outside a door then a giant bashes down a wall.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

bef posted:

Does backing up a save file trigger VAC shutdown?

Nah. Unless your tool injects into the game and tells Dark Souls to write the save in two separate locations.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

^^^^^

Guess I'll go back in to see if I can pick 'em up again!

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

Guess I'll go back in to see if I can pick 'em up again!

Scroll further down, thats the giant lord soul not a giant soul.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tallgeese posted:

Nah. Unless your tool injects into the game and tells Dark Souls to write the save in two separate locations.

Thanks, I'm getting tired of rushing through the forest during No Death runs

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

So from what I'm reading, for Blue Flame to compare to staves as a catalyst, I'd need a staff anyway to buff it with crystal magic weapon.
Can't you get two Blue Flames, enchant one with the other and then go crazy with power stance?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raygereio posted:

Can't you get two Blue Flames, enchant one with the other and then go crazy with power stance?

Yes same with the miracle mace.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Tallgeese posted:

I don't believe this.

Revenge and justice are not the same thing. No matter how much we try to justify still having the death penalty on the books.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Donald Duck posted:

Scroll further down, thats the giant lord soul not a giant soul.

:downs: Welp. I do have 3 giant souls.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Poor guy.

E:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 4, 2014

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crigit posted:

Revenge and justice are not the same thing.

You know what would've been cool. If the longer you let Lucia live the more your NPCs start to disappear from Majula.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
We all see what happens when you try to ride a dragon. You just get flung in the air! :v: (it rarely happens)

edit: Yeah I got beat'd but yeah you figured that wasn't a giant soul. So you do have three of them.

Enjoy finding the last two! hahaha.

double edit: What like that one NPC in Demon Souls? I forgot his name.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

Ohhh that's what makes it so powerful. It's kind of pointless for my lower dexterity battlemage then! BWS makes dark orb way better than soul arrows though. I'm trying to justify using pyromancies still. I maxed the flame out, and I like them, but they're basically repeats of what I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shindragon posted:

We all see what happens when you try to ride a dragon. You just get flung in the air! :v: (it rarely happens)

edit: Yeah I got beat'd but yeah you figured that wasn't a giant soul. So you do have three of them.

Enjoy finding the last two! hahaha.

double edit: What like that one NPC in Demon Souls? I forgot his name.

Yurt the Silent Chief?