Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I'm making an LP for AGOT mod to CK2:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18324

Obviously, there are spoilers for people who didn't read AFFC and ADWD. People who only know TV series especially vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I've been thinking about doing an LP of the Orcs Must Die games.

Here's my first video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f89siBgljo

I'm not so sure about my commentary though and would like some suggestions. Perhaps its just because there isn't much going on in the first level. Also I was planning on explaining the basic mechanics of the games in the opening of the thread though perhaps I should do that in a video?

EDIT: Oh all the commentary was done post. I kind of just talked about things as they came up and did multiple takes.

EDIT 2: I rebalanced the audio so the cutscene volume is louder.

D_W fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 3, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

D_W posted:

I've been thinking about doing an LP of the Orcs Must Die games.

Here's my first video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SK1_VLWE0

I'm not so sure about my commentary though and would like some suggestions. Perhaps its just because there isn't much going on in the first level. Also I was planning on explaining the basic mechanics of the games in the opening of the thread though perhaps I should do that in a video?

EDIT: Oh all the commentary was done post. I kind of just talked about things as they came up and did multiple takes.

Quality-wise the video seemed good. I don't think you need to worry about your commentary quality either, I felt it got the job done. Since you reference a forthcoming Opening Post in the video I imagine any of my questions about what on Earth you're playing will be answered there.

Big concern though: you need to turn the audio up for the cutscene. The balance is fine for when you're talking during gameplay, but since you go silent to let the cutscene play you'll want the viewer to be able to hear what's being said more easily. As it is, it's quiet enough that I had to turn up the volume to hear it, then had to turn it down again when you started talking. It's a little thing but I think it definitely needs to be addressed.

Other than that I think it looks just fine, and I look forward to the thread.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh No, There Goes Tokyo! Go, Go, Godzilla!

What Is This?

1954 marked the debut of the film Gojira in Japan. Retitled the following year as Godzilla for Western audiences, the film took the world by storm. While hardly the first film about giant monsters, its distinctly Japanese flavor (and perhaps its metaphorical anti-nuculear weapons stance) basically single-handedly kickstarted a whole subgenre known as Daikaiju films, or often shortened to Kaiju (particularly for western audiences, as in Japanese the word simply refers to strange monsters, not necessarily giant ones, as the Dai prefex indicates) which involves gigantic monsters (obviously by this point) thrashing cities and often wrestling other giant monsters and/or robots. In other words, the most awesome of God's gifts to man.

This month, a new Godzilla film, made by an American company comes out, marking it as the 30th Godzilla film (32 if you count the American edits of the original film and the 1984 reboot,) and there have been nearly as many games featuring Godzilla. This does not count the many, many films and game that feature the giant monsters that followed in Godzilla's mighty footsteps.

Wait, a lot of games? Are you making some kind of Megathread?

It can be...with YOUR help! As I said, there are literally dozens of games out there worth Let's Playing, and I would love nothing more than for this thread to flourish as a place to show off as many of them as we can. And if not, I'm still going to do my LP(s?) not to mention will be looking for guest commentators, and have this be a place to chat it up for all things Kaiju related.

Sounds Great, I want in! What games can I LP?

Well, when it comes to the various Tokusatsu sub-genres, there's a lot of overlap between things, especially between the Daikaiju and the various styles of Sentai, or the giant robot fighting genre that is so popular. So I think what should and shouldn't be allowed should be on a case-by-case basis. For example, Nobody could argue that Ultraman doesn't belong in this thread, and Gundam does not, but then something like Power Rangers is a bit of a gray area. One point of difficulty though, is that the information to Western audiences regarding the games in the Kaiju genre appear to be all unreliable. There are several different sites out there claiming to be experts at Godzilla, for example, yet each seem to have information the others do not, so take that into consideration if you choose to use these sites as your go-to starting point. Also, do not assume that the games have to be Japanese in origin, so US-made games like Rampage or War of the Monsters are fully welcome.

SPOILER POLICY

Honestly, very few of these games have a plot worth caring about past "step on buildings, blow up military, beat up other embiggened monster", so I'm for the most part not going to enforce any spoiler policy in this thread. If someone plays a game that has a plot they really want kept secret, well okay. Also, as I expect plenty of talk about the movies and tv episodes of Kaiju media, I think it should go without saying that the new film should be, at best, discussed with spoilers in use.

And on that note, Let's get this show on the road, as I begin the thread with Godzilla, Monster of Monsters! for the NES.

Let's Play Godzilla Monster of Monsters!

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Jesus. Talk about an intro tune.

I think the thread idea works. Of course, I find it strange that there is such a pile of games made about Godzilla. Then again, they made 6 NES Megaman games and they are basically the same thing all over again.

Audio in the video is fine, but I think I spot something odd with the colors. Perhaps due to video encoding? It looks almost like chromatic aberration and can be seen on and off especially at 06:47 in the background mountains. Is this just the NES graphics not handling scrolling?

EDIT: They do look like compression artifacts.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

There is also some weird and horrible transparent artifacting or something on all of the white block lettering. It's easiest to see in the status bar at the top of the screen where it lists Power, Life, etc.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Choco1980 posted:

What Is This?

1954 marked the debut of the film Gojira in Japan. Retitled the following year as Godzilla for Western audiences, the film took the world by storm. While hardly the first film about giant monsters, its distinctly Japanese flavor (and perhaps its metaphorical anti-nuculear weapons stance) basically single-handedly kickstarted a whole subgenre known as Daikaiju films, or often shortened to Kaiju (particularly for western audiences, as in Japanese the word simply refers to strange monsters, not necessarily giant ones, as the Dai prefex indicates) which involves gigantic monsters (obviously by this point) thrashing cities and often wrestling other giant monsters and/or robots. In other words, the most awesome of God's gifts to man.

This month, a new Godzilla film, made by an American company comes out, marking it as the 30th Godzilla film (32 if you count the American edits of the original film and the 1984 reboot,) and there have been nearly as many games featuring Godzilla. This does not count the many, many films and game that feature the giant monsters that followed in Godzilla's mighty footsteps.

Wait, a lot of games? Are you making some kind of Megathread?

It can be...with YOUR help! As I said, there are literally dozens of games out there worth Let's Playing, and I would love nothing more than for this thread to flourish as a place to show off as many of them as we can. And if not, I'm still going to do my LP(s?) not to mention will be looking for guest commentators, and have this be a place to chat it up for all things Kaiju related.

Sounds Great, I want in! What games can I LP?

Well, when it comes to the various Tokusatsu sub-genres, there's a lot of overlap between things, especially between the Daikaiju and the various styles of Sentai, or the giant robot fighting genre that is so popular. So I think what should and shouldn't be allowed should be on a case-by-case basis. For example, Nobody could argue that Ultraman doesn't belong in this thread, and Gundam does not, but then something like Power Rangers is a bit of a gray area. One point of difficulty though, is that the information to Western audiences regarding the games in the Kaiju genre appear to be all unreliable. There are several different sites out there claiming to be experts at Godzilla, for example, yet each seem to have information the others do not, so take that into consideration if you choose to use these sites as your go-to starting point. Also, do not assume that the games have to be Japanese in origin, so US-made games like Rampage or War of the Monsters are fully welcome.

SPOILER POLICY

Honestly, very few of these games have a plot worth caring about past "step on buildings, blow up military, beat up other embiggened monster", so I'm for the most part not going to enforce any spoiler policy in this thread. If someone plays a game that has a plot they really want kept secret, well okay. Also, as I expect plenty of talk about the movies and tv episodes of Kaiju media, I think it should go without saying that the new film should be, at best, discussed with spoilers in use.

And on that note, Let's get this show on the road, as I begin the thread with Godzilla, Monster of Monsters! for the NES.

Let's Play Godzilla Monster of Monsters!

Some of the IMG tags in your post are broken.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Quality-wise the video seemed good. I don't think you need to worry about your commentary quality either, I felt it got the job done. Since you reference a forthcoming Opening Post in the video I imagine any of my questions about what on Earth you're playing will be answered there.

Big concern though: you need to turn the audio up for the cutscene. The balance is fine for when you're talking during gameplay, but since you go silent to let the cutscene play you'll want the viewer to be able to hear what's being said more easily. As it is, it's quiet enough that I had to turn up the volume to hear it, then had to turn it down again when you started talking. It's a little thing but I think it definitely needs to be addressed.

Other than that I think it looks just fine, and I look forward to the thread.

Thanks! I adjusted the audio a bit and re-uploaded the video and edited in my original post.

Here's my rough draft for my opening thread.

quote:

Overview:
The Orcs Must Die! series are 3rd person tower defense games by Robot Entertainment. There are three games in the series. The first one is completely single player while the second was mainly designed with co-op in mind and all stages/modes can be played alone or co-op. Third is a free-to-play competitive multiplayer game currently in semi-public alpha.

So these games are tower defense games, right? So that means you make paths and mazes for enemies then watch it unfold, right? Well yes, these games are TDs, but building paths and watching your towers defeat enemies while you do nothing but sit there with a grin on your face aren't these games. The OMD series is very active and the stages are often tense and hectic. There is some path building (particularly in the second game), but for the most part the series focuses on creating “killboxes” at choke points and blocking off paths to channel the enemies into these killboxes. You do this by placing traps and guardians instead of towers. Traps generally come in three flavors; floor, wall, and ceiling. There are also guardians and these are basically the most tower-like thing in the game. We’ll be making a lot of use of the archer guardians since they’re pretty drat powerful in both games. Finally we have weapons to directly attack enemies when our traps aren't enough. The more powerful weapons tend to use MP. There are some miscellaneous items like the boom barrels and the second game adds another class of items called trinkets but we’ll cover those when we get to them.

On completion of each level the player is given a rating of 1 to 5. Instead of stars like most games the rating is in skulls! These skulls can be used to upgrade your traps and other equipment. The upgrade systems vary from game to game so we’ll go into more detail for the specific games.

The LP:
This thread will be a 5 skull playthrough of the first and second game. Including the main campaigns, DLC, and other modes (except Nightmare mode and maybe OMD2’s endless mode.) The first game has much less content than the second and to be honest the second one is superior in almost every way. We’ll still play through it though as it does a better job introducing the concepts and has some really fun stages. Since the 3rd is both still in development and a competitive multiplayer game we won’t be covering it. (maybe I'll do a stream or video and mention it in the thread but it won't be an official part of the LP.)

These games are about experimentation and there’s a ton of different ways to get 5 Skulls on each stage. So occasionally I’ll be doing alternative takes. For the first video of each stage we’ll be doing them with the equipment that is at hand as any player would first encounter them. Then maybe I’ll go back and use different loadouts. Maybe even taking challenges from the thread. (Like "beat Finale using only brimstone" etc.)

Since I have all the DLC items we’ll be using them from the start. I promise that they’re not too overpowered and they don’t make the games much easier. This only really applies to the first game which has a much more limited item pool than the second.

As of right now the commentary will be just be me. If people like it and want to jump in to do co-op for the second game or something I’d be fine with that.

When it comes to spoilers. These games are not heavy on the narrative. There’s not much story to spoil, but generally let’s keep the spoilers to a minimum. When it comes to traps, other equipment, and stage names feel free to talk about that stuff. While the first game hides future traps, OMD2 shows everything in the spellbook from the get go even if the equipment is locked.

D_W fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 3, 2014

BlinkLed
Apr 18, 2014

*Not actually light emitting
Let's Play Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix: Critical Mode Level 1

Intro

Kingdom Hearts is a popular RPG series created by Square Enix well known for its convoluted as hell storyline. It takes a much needed break from the turn based tradition of the genre, instead offering us a very fun hack-and-slash type of combat. The games take place in a bizarre Twilight Zone dimension where Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters can coexist (which is a big turn off for a lot of people). Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix is a japan only remake of Kingdom Hearts II, the fifth game chronologically in the series (And soon Kingdom Hearts 3 will come out which will be the eighth game). It comes in a bundle called Kingdom Hearts Final Mix + which includes this game, along with Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, which was not released in the US at the time. This is a game coveted by fans of the series due to the tremendous amount of new content added.

About This LP

I will not be playing the cutscenes in the game as I think the storyline in this game (and all kingdom hearts games) is absolutely terrible. The cutscenes also add a stupid amount of time to the game's length. By extension, I don't care about plot spoilers (not that there are many anyway) however don't spoil any battles that have yet to be fought in the LP, particularly ones that are unique to Final Mix.

This will be a 100% Ultra-comprehensive LP. That means 100% Journal Completion, 100% Gummi Ship Completion, and All weapons and equipment will be obtained. (Don't worry, I won't be showing any of the grindy bits). The reason is because there's a lot of really cool content, and I've never seen another person make videos related to some of the more obscure elements of the game (Specifically 100%ing the Gummi Ship missions).

The most important new addition for this LP is the Critical Mode difficulty. This added many restrictions greatly increasing the difficulty of the game. These include: Half max health and magic, two times damage from all enemies, and only three quarters of the normal amount of experience is earned. There are a few positives as well which include: 50 base AP, leveling up AP increases it by three instead of two, and several abilities are unlocked from the beginning of the game however...

There is one ability called EXP 0 (or Zero EXP depending on your translation) which blocks your ability to gain experience. This means that whatever level you are when you equip it, you are doomed to stay that level until you unequip it. This leads to the infamous level 1 challenge which requires that you to equip it at its first availability, and then never unequip it, and never using items that permanently boost your stats. This is what I will be doing for this LP.

Why Level 1?

The level 1 challenge not only makes the game much more fun and difficult, but it's also a completely intentional and legitimate way of playing the game. Critical mode (and Final Mix as a whole) was specifically designed so that the level 1 run would be fun and completely possible. This is why you are given 50 AP and extra abilities when selecting this difficulty. This gives the game a very Dark Souls feeling, where you must get very familiar with enemy and boss attack patterns, and form coherent strategies. Very quickly enemy attacks will take out half or more of your health (with many being one hit kills) causing the game to be incredibly difficult.

Won't this mean you'll just tick away at an enemy's health, one pixel at a time?

No, and this is another wonderful reason why the game is so well catered to this type of run. Whenever you attack an enemy the game preforms a calculation to tell how much damage you will do (duh!). For every enemy and boss there is a minimum and maximum Strength and Magic stat you are allowed to have. Anything higher and it rounds down before calculating, but more importantly, anything lower and it rounds up. This means that any boss (even at level 1) can be fought at a fine pace. (Note: Defense does not get rounded in this way). You can test this yourself with codebreaker or a similar device to give yourself 100 strength at the beginning of the game. You'll see that despite your amazing stats you will only be doing just above average damage.

Wait, isn't it impossible to 100% the game at level 1?

Yes. This is due to the fact that certain side-quests require being able to deal damage very quickly and it simply isn't possible at level 1 (Also doing all the synthesis stuff at level 1 would be a nightmare). There are two options to circumvent this. You can grind enemies for several hours to make 100 Magic Boosts to give to Donald, or, the option we'll be using, grind enemies for several hours to get to level 99. The plan is that I will complete everything possible to 100%, including every scripted battle, and then level up to 99 at which point I will do the few remaining things.

Test Update

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BlinkLed posted:

KHII FM+

This looks like something I'd be interested in. It might be better with a co-commentator so you aren't rambling so much, but the video looked good to me, and the sound levels seemed fine.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

mastajake posted:

This looks like something I'd be interested in. It might be better with a co-commentator so you aren't rambling so much, but the video looked good to me, and the sound levels seemed fine.

Pretty much my two cents. Sorry but the commentary is a bit boring by yourself. Bring someone else in.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

OK. I didn't have much feedback, but I went ahead and made the thread. You can find it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631066

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Bring someone else in.

Meanwhile, I think it's good and think a co-commentator is completely unnecessary and possibly detrimental for the kind of strategy-focused video he's trying to present. Unless you can bring someone else in whose also done this challenge to bounce strategies off of it's probably not going to help. Not everything needs a co-commentator.

Instead I'd recommend tightening up your commentary a little, there's moments where you pause with your words or otherwise stumble a bit, which is fairly normal but it is something I noticed, you can always script your commentary a little bit more so you know what you're going to say and can just try again if you fumble. Minor stuff, but it all helps.

I don't think its anything LP-breaking though, I liked the video and I'd follow the thread.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 3, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Min-level runs are usually slow, methodical and take up quite some time.
He's going to run out of things to say and KH2 isnt exactly a very short game.

It's a bit lazy to point it out but all of the challenge LPs have had Co-s on at some point in time and the LP benefited from it quite nicely.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm wanting to make an LP for the 1860s Old America mod for Mount & Blade: Warband. I've seen a few M&B LPs so far, but none for this kind of mod. I'm starting off easy, a simple screenshot LP with text in-between. No in-universe perspective or gimmick characters or challenge runs (I don't know the game nearly well enough to futz about like that). Just a plain, simple LP that tries to not only talk about the game itself, but also explain the setting, factions, technology, etc. in both an in-game and real world context. I pull no punches in talking about the issues the mod has; playing it is mainly because it provides a much more unique version of Warband that only a few mods really provide, as opposed to realism changes or a medieval Europe setting.

The only real issue is that the mod tends to suffer from "out of video memory" crashes quite a lot, and the only way to get around that for now is by lowering the quality a bit. However, I've looked over every image I've taken (especially the images with text in them), and while they don't look as pretty as they could, it's all legible and not at all confusing.

Here's a small sample of what the LP would look like at the beginning, after character creation and the intro.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18298

That looked fine, no trouble with reading the text etc. The colours are a bit grubby, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be (no sparkling stuff). Also, it's something charming aboot seeing Canadian Redcoat grubbing around the frontier in quest of Fenians and whatnot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's not that long ago is it? :ohdear:
Anyway, back again with another attempt. I have done the following:
1: Retaken all screenshots. Since only the first few days went the same that means that I made a completely new update. LPing is fun. :) It's already shorter, but...
2: I cut the update in 2. I added the first week to the story bit. The rest of the days can become the second update.
3: In addition to the above I added in some extra lines to remove the feeling of disconnect the updates were giving me and another poster.

Lets play Heroes of Might and Magic: Strategy at its questest posted:

What is this?
In 1986 Jon van Caneghem and New World Computing released a game called Might and Magic book one: Quest for the inner sanctum. This was a RPG that has been expertly (and entertainingly) played by Thuryl. You can find the Let's Play in the Let's Play archive. As most probably know, Might and Magic was a great success, successful enough to spawn multiple sequels (9 currently).

He made some more games after Might and Magic that I'm not interested in, but in 1990 he released King's Bounty. A strategy game where the objective was to recover 25 map pieces used to find the Scepter of Order before the time limit passed. A complete departure from the Might and Magic this was actually a strategy game. At the start of the game you picked your player character (carefully avoiding the word Hero) from Knight, Paladin, Barbarian and Sorceress. Throughout your journey you would recruit creatures to fight for you while your hero player character bolstered them with magic. (This game was also expertly played by Thuryl whose taste appears impeccable.)
The game was well received, which apparently gave Jon an idea. What if we took that concept and combined it with my long running Might and Magic series?

And thus in 1995 Heroes of Might and Magic: a strategic quest was born. Featuring mechanics based on King's bounty and set in the world of Might and Magic. It was successful enough to spawn multiple sequels as well. The most loved of these is Heroes of Might and Magic 3, which despite being released 1999 still has a very active community. In fact here is currently an ongoing LP of Heroes3 started by Spermy Smurf, though it is Legoman who is playing through the campaigns.

Why this game?
Every time a discussion starts I always see everyone praising Heroes 3 and while definitely deserving of said praise, in my own opinion the earlier games had a certain charm that none of the later games match. The charm stems from a combination of graphics and a healthy sense of humor. (and maybe some nostalgia sprinkled on top)

I chose this game because, while I have more experience with 2/3, I have very fond memories of this game.
It's the game that introduced me to Heroes of Might and Magic purely by chance (hurrah for boring BBQs) and one of the few games I have played that prompted me to seek out the game. I never found it, but instead bought Heroes2. (and later Heroes3) I poured many hours in both, mostly on single maps.

In addition to the above it's a lot shorter making it a better pick for first LP tries. ;) Only 8 maps/levels.

I did finally buy the first heroes when Ubisoft released the Heroes of Might and Magic: Complete edition in 2008. So that is the version we will be seeing.

How?
The game technically has 4 campaigns, one for each of the four following "races".
Knight with fabulous hair:
Starting stats: 1 attack, 2 defense, 1 spellpower, 1 knowledge.
Special: The knight adds +1 to the moral of the army.
Barbarian (this guy is called Antoine. There is no reason for me to point out his French sounding name):
Starting stats: 2 attack, 1 defense, 1 spellpower, 1 knowledge.
Special: A barbarian suffers no movement penalties for moving on rough terrains.
Sorceress :witch: :
Starting stats: 0 attack, 0 defense, 2 spellpower, 3 knowledge.
Special: A sorceress can move at double speed on water and starts with a spellbook.
Warlock :doom: :
Starting stats: 0 attack, 0 defense, 3 spellpower, 2 knowledge.
Special: A Warlock has a larger visibility radius in the adventure window and starts with a spellbook.

But really, the only difference in the campaigns is in starting position, difficulty caused by patented Heroes of Might and Magic balance and the final levels where you take out the other factions. So for now the plan is to just play through the campaign once using the knight.

Why the knight? Well, canonically knight was the victor of the war and we will try to make this happen. Though I always imagined the war would look something like this:

The game itself contains very little story, but during my research I found that the manual contains letters written by the victor, Lord Morglin Ironfist. I will be using these letters in combination with what little ingame story there is to go through this LP and hopefully liven things up from just being a set of steps.
Unfortunately not all of his letters match up to what happens so the first update a long stretch of text followed by the first week of screens.

I will admit I am not the best Heroes player, however I should be able to finish it as last time I played it (shortly after buying the complete edition) I came to level 5 before the computer crashed and the save was lost. Still, if you have any gameplay tips feel free to give them.

update 1

Also Pierzak, you were absolutely right. There are some amusing sounds in this game as well. And because of you I felt obligated to get them. :argh: They are in the next update. I hope you feel bad.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

BlinkLed
Apr 18, 2014

*Not actually light emitting

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Meanwhile, I think it's good and think a co-commentator is completely unnecessary and possibly detrimental for the kind of strategy-focused video he's trying to present. Unless you can bring someone else in whose also done this challenge to bounce strategies off of it's probably not going to help. Not everything needs a co-commentator.

This is exactly what I was going for. I was trying to go for commentary that would make this more of a guide than comedy. I know it's a pretty niche audience, but I can't tell you how many times when playing this through I wish someone would explain some of the battles. I do agree though that I probably would have benefited from a script for this as I just sort of winged it for this video.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Min-level runs are usually slow, methodical and take up quite some time.
He's going to run out of things to say and KH2 isnt exactly a very short game.

For the most part the battles are pretty varied with different strategies for each, and bosses have many attacks which get added as the battles go on, so I think I shouldn't run out of stuff to talk about. If I did, however, I wouldn't hesitate to bring someone else in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Thanks for the input guys. I can't really look at things to fix until like, Tuesday, as I'm out of the house, but it sounds like outside of the img tag typos we have a problem with encoding? Maybe it's more of a tech support fort concern but my process has been to record with nestopia's in-program recording method, then I convert to avi with its cinepak codec at the defaults. (I don't know how to add codecs in Nestopia) Then in v-dub I double the size using the nearest neighbor setting. And that's all I've done video wise. Advice?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Darth TNT posted:

Also Pierzak, you were absolutely right. There are some amusing sounds in this game as well. And because of you I felt obligated to get them. :argh: They are in the next update. I hope you feel bad.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Yep, this definitely seems like an update! Little long, but y'know what? That's okay. Especially since you have some wonderful moments in that first post. Let's take a closer look at a couple.

Darth TNT's Test Post posted:

He looks thrilled at his new power. We leave the treasure chest and move to kill some peasants.

This is the summary of most early games of HoMM, well played. :P

Darth TNT's Test Post posted:

Do NOT fix this GIF's framerate. Ever. Seriously, this made me cackle evilly, so it's a plus point. Also, I started the whole "Silly unit noises" thing, so credit where credit's due, and we look forward to :drac: MORE BLEIGH! :drac:

Anyways, far as I can tell, you're good to go, and look forward to the thread!

EDIT: Whups. Enemy fase? to? Those are things you can correct with a final reading, though, so it's all good.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 4, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Suicidal, even :emo:

Graphics look OK, except the knight-narrator portrait, it looks weirdly rescaled. Either keep it standard size or rescale it using a better filter to avoid the "uneven pixels" issue. And speaking of filters, are you using the bestiary entries from the strategy guide?

As for the update itself, I found the pseudo-narrative intro kinda meh, but it's OK since we can clearly see where the LP-inserted content ends and the game begins (scenario intro). You also missed some references to King's Bounty, but that's something to post in the thread :haw:

JamieTheD posted:

Also, I started the whole "Silly unit noises" thing, so credit where credit's due, and we look forward to :drac: MORE BLEIGH! :drac:
I told him about the dragon flush :barf: in HOMM1, though.

(And I second the "don't fix the :flashfap: tavern gif" sentiment - not to mention that gif isn't broken, that's how it looks in-game)

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

JamieTheD posted:

EDIT: Whups. Enemy fase? to? Those are things you can correct with a final reading, though, so it's all good.

Titel as well. I'd recommend running the updates through a spellchecker, it's easy to miss things like that when you've written it yourself.
Otherwise I really like it. Looking forward to the LP.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Do NOT fix this GIF's framerate. Ever. Seriously, this made me cackle evilly, so it's a plus point. Also, I started the whole "Silly unit noises" thing, so credit where credit's due, and we look forward to :drac: MORE BLEIGH! :drac:

Pierzak knows what's up. :)

Pierzak posted:

I told him about the dragon flush :barf: in HOMM1, though.

(And I second the "don't fix the :flashfap: tavern gif" sentiment - not to mention that gif isn't broken, that's how it looks in-game)

Yeah, the mug actually looks like that (though a bit more fluid) on my screen. It makes me smile everytime I see it. :allears:
And yes, JamietheD you started about the sounds. However I thought they only added the funny sounds in Heroes2, whereas Pierzak managed to ruin the dragon sounds by pointing out they sound like someone flushing. And if I do one sound I no longer have an excuse to gush about the other sounds without posting them. :argh:

Pierzak posted:

As for the update itself, I found the pseudo-narrative intro kinda meh, but it's OK since we can clearly see where the LP-inserted content ends and the game begins (scenario intro). You also missed some references to King's Bounty, but that's something to post in the thread :haw:

Graphics look OK, except the knight-narrator portrait, it looks weirdly rescaled. Either keep it standard size or rescale it using a better filter to avoid the "uneven pixels" issue. And speaking of filters, are you using the bestiary entries from the strategy guide?
Good news, that bit shrinks/dissappears in later updates. :) There is good reason why I didn't go for a narrative in the main gameplay update and you may have found it. ;)

You guys have such sharp eyes. His face looks like that because it came from the original batch of screenshots, I liked the size. :) Meh, I'll change it.

Kloro posted:

Titel as well. I'd recommend running the updates through a spellchecker, it's easy to miss things like that when you've written it yourself.
Otherwise I really like it. Looking forward to the LP.
I'm sorry, but I butchered part of the titel on purpose because I have a bad sense of humor. Which part of the titel is wrong?

By the way, I am open for other titel suggestions if anyone has a fun one.

I'm going to hold off on posting it and let it perculate for while so I can spellcheck with a fresh mind. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on this topic for any further comments. Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Darth TNT posted:

I'm sorry, but I butchered part of the titel on purpose because I have a bad sense of humor. Which part of the titel is wrong?

No, I meant that you spelled "title" wrong, in the phrase "titel screen". (And are spelling it wrong again, which would point up the need to spell-check updates.)

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
So I've got a first run-through for a Football Manager 2014 Challenge Mode LP, which was something I expressed interest in doing in the FM14 LP thread. Skipping the first post, to jump forward to the first two updates:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18455

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18457

Mostly I'm just looking for opinions on post length. I figure the first update is a bit too short, but it will be coupled with the first post, so that is more directed at the second update.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

From what I'm seeing this let's play is flawless and I wish to be this beer man.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

beru04 posted:

So I've got a first run-through for a Football Manager 2014 Challenge Mode LP, which was something I expressed interest in doing in the FM14 LP thread. Skipping the first post, to jump forward to the first two updates:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18455

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18457

Mostly I'm just looking for opinions on post length. I figure the first update is a bit too short, but it will be coupled with the first post, so that is more directed at the second update.

You definitely need to do the work of cropping the screenshots so they only contain the relevant info (the way habeasdorkus does), also so that the font is larger and more legible. The reader can hardly bee expected to orient himself in all these spreadsheets thrown at him at once.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014
Hey guys so I recently decided to re-do some of my older LP projects in a much more watchable (I hope) format, starting with re-doing my old Super Mario 64 VLP The original one I did about 4 years ago and it's an absolute train wreck. If there's anything you guys think could use improvement in this new one I'm now working on I'd be more than happy to hear suggestions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm about halfway through and I'm pretty impressed with some of the stuff you're doing, like grabbing the 5th Whomp's Fortress star with a long jump instead of using the owl (seriously, gently caress that owl). A few things I have to say though:

• Why are you surrounding the video with a border? Why not just eschew the border entirely and have the game fill the video window? If you're worried about someone stealing your video footage, it's pretty easy to just edit out the border so that slightly reduces your video quality for no real benefit.
  • Is it necessary to do this live? I have nothing against doing this live, but it'd make for a snappier video to record the video, edit all of the chaff out and then comment on it in post. You also pause slightly every so often and it seems like you're pausing because you're focusing on the game. EDIT2: Basically, why not do the entire LP in the post-commentary style you have going for the last section of the video?
  • That's kind of a long video. Why not split it to one world per video?
  • Maybe you could pause it a little longer on the star screen so we could see what star you're getting?
  • This one's a bit nitpicky, but why not get all of the stars in order? I mean it seems like you are, but starting by getting the sixth star from Bob-omb Battlefield and then moving right onto the third one of Whomp's Fortress threw me for a little loop. Nah, forget about this one.

Overall that wasn't half bad!

Edit: Just got to your 100 Coins star of BOB. It wouldn't hurt to just cut straight to the end of your coin collecting session! You don't need to speed it up and show us everything you did to get the coins if nothing really interesting happened. Also, transitions and fades really help with cuts. Some of the edits you made seem kinda jarring.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 5, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Doing the chain chomp star first is tradition. Also, you can't do the stars in order. Also, learn clippy.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
After seeing a couple of other goons pull off board game LPs, I thought I might give this thing a shot. How does it look?

The Cold War: The Game. Let's Play Twilight Struggle!

What's all this, then?
Twilight Struggle is a two-player board game designed by Ananda Gupta and Jason Matthews, and published by GMT Games in 2005. As the box proudly proclaims, the game chronicles the fascinating conflict between the United States and the United Soviet Socialist Republics between 1945 and 1989 that would later become known as the Cold War. Each player takes on the role of one of these global superpowers as they seek to spread their influence throughout the world and counter their opponent's, through both friendly diplomacy with other countries and... less savory means.

Oh god, is this one of those games with a million different counters and thirty little things to worry about and--
Nope! Twilight Struggle is one of those board games that looks really complicated at first, but turns out to be relatively simple. There is a grand total of one type of counter that the players place on the board, and six different "status" tracks to pay attention to (two of which are simply the current turn and round). I'd say it's possible to learn all of the rules of the game in less than a half-hour.

Fine. So why would I want to play this?
Twilight Struggle has held the #1 all-time rank on BoardGameGeek for several years now, and with good reason. Not only is it an extremely well-balanced and approachable game, but it is probably the supreme example of a board game that successfully weds its gameplay design with its theme. Quite simply, playing Twilight Struggle feels like the Cold War. The game mechanics are designed to fill both the US and USSR with a constant paranoia that the world is one move away from falling to the opponent's ideology, and a need to respond to every single move their opponent makes, even if it turns out to be a bluff. Add to that the specter of global nuclear war, which both superpowers must constantly threaten but never actually allow, and you end up with a game that is intense and exhilirating to play.

Wait, you said two-player? So we're just going to watch two random goons duke it out with no input?
Not quite. While there will indeed be two goons playing the US President and the USSR's General Secretary, I will be taking a page from other excellent board game LPs, and will be allowing other goons to join in as members of Congress and the Politburo, to advise their leaders on the best course of action and hopefully spice up the thread. Twilight Struggle's gameplay is based heavily around a hand of cards that each side holds, so there will be some secrecy required for each team, but the scope of possible actions is limited enough that I'm hoping it will be possible to do some general strategizing in-thread.

Okay, I'm in. How do I play this game? And how do I sign up?
Glad you asked! I'll be doing my best to summarize the rules below, but I urge all participants (and will require the two leaders) to read the official game rules on GMT's website. Sign-up details will be in the second post! (when it exists)

Link to rules explanation (this will be in-thread when the thread is live)

-----

So, any thoughts? I'm particularly wondering if my rules explanation was comprehensible, and if this game seems like it would work as a thread. Let me know.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 5, 2014

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

quote:

Why are you surrounding the video with a border? Why not just eschew the border entirely and have the game fill the video window? If you're worried about someone stealing your video footage, it's pretty easy to just edit out the border so that slightly reduces your video quality for no real benefit.

I put in borders just to fill the black space with something, I don't want to stretch out the game into a 16:9 format just because that's not the format the game is supposed to be in, in fact I went out of my way to adjust it into it's original aspect ratio because the Virtual Console stretches out the games when the Wii is on Component mode. I'm not really worried about people stealing the footage at all I just figured it'd be a nice presentation than just the game and then black all around it.

quote:

Is it necessary to do this live? I have nothing against doing this live, but it'd make for a snappier video to record the video, edit all of the chaff out and then comment on it in post. You also pause slightly every so often and it seems like you're pausing because you're focusing on the game. EDIT2: Basically, why not do the entire LP in the post-commentary style you have going for the last section of the video?

I actually debated for awhile if I wanted to do it live or not but I decided I liked doing the main game play live since mishaps and silly stuff is something I always enjoy seeing in other videos that don't have the same natural reaction if I recreated it in post. I've had ideas for other games I wanted to do in post but it depends on the material for me. Also some pauses are a mixture of concentration now and then as well as editing out as many heavy inhales and mumbling/stutters. But because this is also an LP that has been done millions of times I figured it would also be better to do it live for the sake of the random unexpected things that will take away from me just spouting out straight information that a good chunk of people may already know or are not interested in.

quote:

That's kind of a long video. Why not split it to one world per video?

This I can work on, I'll have to time myself during practice to see what I can fit in around the standard 15-20 minute lengths people prefer. In this part I was just thinking "I'll grab these stars and then end off".

quote:

Maybe you could pause it a little longer on the star screen so we could see what star you're getting?

Yeah when I was originally editing I figured I could shave off some of the pauses between getting stars but I guess I should either just leave that in or be more mindful about stating which star I'm about to grab.

quote:

transitions and fades really help with cuts. Some of the edits you made seem kinda jarring.

I'll try to be more mindful about this while editing as well, most of my fades are usually really quick or sometimes I noticed after I uploaded that some of the fades didn't even happen and it just cut about.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

ChaosArgate posted:

Why are you surrounding the video with a border? Why not just eschew the border entirely and have the game fill the video window? If you're worried about someone stealing your video footage, it's pretty easy to just edit out the border so that slightly reduces your video quality for no real benefit.

Instead of resizing the footage to be 960x720 or whatever would suffice to get Youtube's 720p option, some put borders around the footage to make it at least 720 pixels wide. It does the same thing, who cares if there's borders or not. In this case, though, there are vertical borders as well, it might be a good idea to fix that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So, any thoughts? I'm particularly wondering if my rules explanation was comprehensible, and if this game seems like it would work as a thread. Let me know.
I'd add a call for "independent" war correspondents/news agencies/whatever, the game does a great job in keeping the theme but those would help and be a nice option for thread participation.

Also, saying that all actions are performed by playing cards is like saying that all spells are cast by drinking mana potions. If you're using the OPs, all the card does is give you the means to do the actual actions (like coups/realignment/influence).

BTW, what are you using to represent the board? Vassal?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pierzak posted:

I'd add a call for "independent" war correspondents/news agencies/whatever, the game does a great job in keeping the theme but those would help and be a nice option for thread participation.
Thanks, this is a fantastic idea and I'll make sure to put it in the sign-up post if and when the thread goes live.

Pierzak posted:

Also, saying that all actions are performed by playing cards is like saying that all spells are cast by drinking mana potions. If you're using the OPs, all the card does is give you the means to do the actual actions (like coups/realignment/influence).
I was merely making the distinction that all actions require the player to play a card from their hand. I can probably rephrase it.

Pierzak posted:

BTW, what are you using to represent the board? Vassal?
GMT was kind enough to post an image of the board (which I used in the rules explanation) and all of the possible counters on their website, so I think it should actually be possible to keep track of the board using Photoshop or even MSPaint. The amount of changes each action causes on the board is small enough that something like VASSAL shouldn't be necessary.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also put out a call for history buffs to come join in, even though I guess they'd flock to the LP anyway (maybe issue the call in Ask/Tell?). The Cold War is such a massive font of historical information, and I can't wait to see what interesting stuff'll pop up :allears:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

After seeing a couple of other goons pull off board game LPs, I thought I might give this thing a shot. How does it look?

The Cold War: The Game. Let's Play Twilight Struggle!

What's all this, then?
Twilight Struggle is a two-player board game designed by Ananda Gupta and Jason Matthews, and published by GMT Games in 2005. As the box proudly proclaims, the game chronicles the fascinating conflict between the United States and the United Soviet Socialist Republics between 1945 and 1989 that would later become known as the Cold War. Each player takes on the role of one of these global superpowers as they seek to spread their influence throughout the world and counter their opponent's, through both friendly diplomacy with other countries and... less savory means.

Oh god, is this one of those games with a million different counters and thirty little things to worry about and--
Nope! Twilight Struggle is one of those board games that looks really complicated at first, but turns out to be relatively simple. There is a grand total of one type of counter that the players place on the board, and six different "status" tracks to pay attention to (two of which are simply the current turn and round). I'd say it's possible to learn all of the rules of the game in less than a half-hour.

Fine. So why would I want to play this?
Twilight Struggle has held the #1 all-time rank on BoardGameGeek for several years now, and with good reason. Not only is it an extremely well-balanced and approachable game, but it is probably the supreme example of a board game that successfully weds its gameplay design with its theme. Quite simply, playing Twilight Struggle feels like the Cold War. The game mechanics are designed to fill both the US and USSR with a constant paranoia that the world is one move away from falling to the opponent's ideology, and a need to respond to every single move their opponent makes, even if it turns out to be a bluff. Add to that the specter of global nuclear war, which both superpowers must constantly threaten but never actually allow, and you end up with a game that is intense and exhilirating to play.

Wait, you said two-player? So we're just going to watch two random goons duke it out with no input?
Not quite. While there will indeed be two goons playing the US President and the USSR's General Secretary, I will be taking a page from other excellent board game LPs, and will be allowing other goons to join in as members of Congress and the Politburo, to advise their leaders on the best course of action and hopefully spice up the thread. Twilight Struggle's gameplay is based heavily around a hand of cards that each side holds, so there will be some secrecy required for each team, but the scope of possible actions is limited enough that I'm hoping it will be possible to do some general strategizing in-thread.

Okay, I'm in. How do I play this game? And how do I sign up?
Glad you asked! I'll be doing my best to summarize the rules below, but I urge all participants (and will require the two leaders) to read the official game rules on GMT's website. Sign-up details will be in the second post! (when it exists)

Link to rules explanation (this will be in-thread when the thread is live)

-----

I am super duper interested in this, and can't wait for both the history buffs and the Board Game Goons to give their voice to it. It'll be a great thread.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

GMT was kind enough to post an image of the board (which I used in the rules explanation) and all of the possible counters on their website, so I think it should actually be possible to keep track of the board using Photoshop or even MSPaint. The amount of changes each action causes on the board is small enough that something like VASSAL shouldn't be necessary.

I don't have any experience with this particular module, or the game itself, but here's a general suggestion: if you open the module archive with WinZIP or similar, it should have all the images (cards, counters and what have you) right there. It may save you a bit of work.

Other than that, if you set up a google doc for each side, and send the link to the goons that offer to "help", you can have more coherent strategy discussions. Or bickering and pointing of fingers. One or the other.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to post the thread in the next few days. Out of curiosity, is there anyone who hasn't played TS that can let me know if the rule summary makes sense to them? That's one of the things I'm most worried about, since I'd love to use the thread to introduce this game to newbies.

In the meantime, here's what I'm thinking will be the setup for people involved in the game (and not just writing stuff as a journalist/war correspondent, which won't really be an "official" role you have to sign up for):
  • One US President/USSR General Secretary
  • Two Vice Presidents/Deputy General Secretaries (is there a better term for this? I don't actually know)
  • As many members of Congress and the Politburo that want to join
Everyone who takes on one of these roles would get access to the google doc that contains their side's hand, but only the President and General Secretary would have the power to make decisions on what card to play and actions to take each turn. The Vice Presidents and Deputy General Secretaries wouldn't have any decision-making power, but would be around in case the President/General Secretary is out of town or fails to meet a deadline. The President/General Secretary can temporarily relinquish power to one of their subordinates if they have to be away for awhile, and get it back when requested, but if the leader fails to meet a deadline once without informing me, then one of the Vice Presidents/Deputies will automatically take over that role. After one missed deadline, the leader can ask for their role back, but if they do it twice, they're out and one of their subordinates becomes the new permanent leader.

Does that seem like it would work? I can't decide if it would be better to kick out a delinquent leader after two strikes or three.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Having just got back from EVE Online Fanfest, I'm all fired up to do an LP that I've wanted to do for a long time.

I've got an OP and an update based on the tutorial done and linked below in SSLPTest.

OP:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18541

Update:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=18537

I'm not quite sure exactly what tone to use in the updates - more of an in-character one and go for a narration of events, but jump out for a moment to make a comment on game mechanics, or stay out of character and just refer to the character in third person like I'm doing in the updates now. Any thoughts on what style would be more fun to read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who hasn't played TS that can let me know if the rule summary makes sense to them? That's one of the things I'm most worried about, since I'd love to use the thread to introduce this game to newbies.

I've never played this game, though I've been dying to do so since it seems cool. So I read your rules summary. I think the following points could use clarification:
  • The part about DEFCON is a bit confusing and could use some more explanation. The fact that lower DEFCON means more hostility means that sentences like "Although DEFCON increases by 1 every Turn, it is nonetheless in both superpowers' interests to keep DEFCON as low as possible" become confusing. Do I want more war or less war? When and how exactly does DEFCON adjust itself?
  • The required military operations part - am I interpreting it correctly that if I undertake no military operations at all during a turn at DEFCON 5, I lose 5 victory points? It could use an example or two to that effect, because that feels incredibly counter-intuitive (when the war is at its coldest, I get punished for not undertaking overt military action?).
  • There is no mention of how many cards each player draws at the beginning of each turn.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread