Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Heads came back and they were out by ".003. How bad is that in EJ25 terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

It's official: Honda North in Butler, PA gave away my phone number to someone calling and asking about the buyer of a specific car. Sweet.

They probably sold the AP to try and make back some of the money they 'lost' on making your sale too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't book say .005 is allowable, and most people even say .008? I thought I read that here.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ozmiander posted:

Heads came back and they were out by ".003. How bad is that in EJ25 terms?

SOHC:

DOHC:

According to the book that's a little bit off.

Geirskogul posted:

Doesn't book say .005 is allowable, and most people even say .008? I thought I read that here.

Those numbers remind me of valve lash, so maybe that's what you're remembering.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They probably sold the AP to try and make back some of the money they 'lost' on making your sale too.
Yeah, maybe. Or the tech stole it because nobody would miss an AP from a Honda dealership. :v:

At any rate, it's a long story but I'm getting it off of the guy for $50 (assuming he doesn't murder me). Balling. Anyone know how I can quickly check if it's married to my vehicle?

si
Apr 26, 2004
Plug it in and check. It will tell you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks. All I could find on the internet was that it would say "INSTALLED" but I couldn't find what it would say if it was installed to a different vehicle.

Edit: Got it. :hellyeah: Now to chew Honda out for giving out my number.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 1, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it possible to replace the turbo inlet piping on EJ20 WRX's without removing the intake manifold?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VelociBacon posted:

Is it possible to replace the turbo inlet piping on EJ20 WRX's without removing the intake manifold?

Yes, I did it. It's great fun. :suicide:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, you have to tear off some of the ports on the stock inlet to get it out, so a replacement stock part is definitely not going back in. Perrin gets my recommendation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The new one can go in though without removing the manifold? A Perrin one or similar I mean. Jamal I take it you can't get one in for a gc8?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If your inlet goes under the manifold there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the inlet for the GC and GD. Grab me a picture of the inlet, intake, BPV hose, and pcv lines sometime and I can tell you if it's all the same.

And yes, the silicone ones can be wiggled in there. Something like an APS hard inlet isn't going without taking the whole thing off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

If your inlet goes under the manifold there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the inlet for the GC and GD. Grab me a picture of the inlet, intake, BPV hose, and pcv lines sometime and I can tell you if it's all the same.

And yes, the silicone ones can be wiggled in there. Something like an APS hard inlet isn't going without taking the whole thing off.

Seems like there is a bit of a difference. Here is the one that fits mine (listed as "97-98", basically EJ20K years I believe):

And here is the one for "98-00" (EJ207 years?):

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There was some flooding on the way home last night and I drove through a couple of puddles that came up to the bottom of the doors. Do I need to worry about water in the differential or anything like that? I'm at 35k miles, should I worry about the differential fluid anyway?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The WRX has a drip onto the exaust, most likely from the up pipe. At idle, I can see a puff so smoke every 30 seconds or so with a flashlight. There is so little room and I can't tell if it's a slow oil drip or a slow coolant drip. Any ideas on how to diagnose?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

daslog posted:

The WRX has a drip onto the exaust, most likely from the up pipe. At idle, I can see a puff so smoke every 30 seconds or so with a flashlight. There is so little room and I can't tell if it's a slow oil drip or a slow coolant drip. Any ideas on how to diagnose?

Does it smell like oil or does it smell like coolant? Are you low on oil or coolant?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

FogHelmut posted:

Does it smell like oil or does it smell like coolant? Are you low on oil or coolant?

Can't really tell what it smells like. Neither seems low.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
So, uh, I'm an unrepentant ricer.

http://imgur.com/a/hTFUE

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 2, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

daslog posted:

If I had to guess I would say coolant from one of the lines to the turbo. Better hose clamps will probably fix it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Seems like there is a bit of a difference. Here is the one that fits mine (listed as "97-98", basically EJ20K years I believe):

And here is the one for "98-00" (EJ207 years?):

Looks like most of the lines are close enough. Might just need a little extension piece to the air box. Samco makes one but no one I know has one in stock, so you might have better luck up there since people actually have those cars.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

If I had to guess I would say coolant from one of the lines to the turbo. Better hose clamps will probably fix it.

I did all but the one I couldn't reach last night. I bet I know which one is leaking....

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Roman Rambo posted:

So, uh, I'm an unpentant ricer.

Looks good on black. I like CF but I was always apprehensive about long term durability. Has the carbon fiber car part industry ever solved the UV damage problem (yellowing and resin damage)? OTH, pretty much anything looks better than the rock chip constellation on most subaru hoods.

dayman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
On the subject of subaru paint, got my 9yo lgt detailed. Very depressing, I swear it had less rock chips than this.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

nm posted:

On the subject of subaru paint, got my 9yo lgt detailed. Very depressing, I swear it had less rock chips than this.

I like to think of Subaru paint as extra thin for lightness. Added feature; it gets lighter and lighter as the vehicle ages. I hate Subaru paint...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to getting the bigger chips fixed. I've got two nicks between the top of the windshield and the front of my sunroof that are already rusting. :(

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Fifty Three posted:

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to getting the bigger chips fixed. I've got two nicks between the top of the windshield and the front of my sunroof that are already rusting. :(

That's one unexpected bonus of the aluminum hood on the WRX and STi.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Roman Rambo posted:

So, uh, I'm an unpentant ricer.

gently caress the haters, I like the way vented hoods look, even though I have no idea if there's any benefit. Blobeyes need all the help they can get anyways.

si
Apr 26, 2004

dayman posted:

Looks good on black. I like CF but I was always apprehensive about long term durability. Has the carbon fiber car part industry ever solved the UV damage problem (yellowing and resin damage)? OTH, pretty much anything looks better than the rock chip constellation on most subaru hoods.

Yup, it's called painting the drat thing. It's quite normal to paint CF, only reason not to is if you're doing extreme light sort of thing in which case you probably aren't worried about the longevity.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

si posted:

Yup, it's called painting the drat thing. It's quite normal to paint CF, only reason not to is if you're doing extreme light sort of thing in which case you probably aren't worried about the longevity.

I thought the whole point of having a CF hood was to show off the CF, because really they're no better than fiberglass unless you get the *real* (expensive) thing.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Neptr posted:

I thought the whole point of having a CF hood was to show off the CF, because really they're no better than fiberglass unless you get the *real* (expensive) thing.

It's stronger, which does kind of matter for a hood, but it actually saves very little weight from aluminum even. I think fiberglass hoods tend to actually weigh more than the aluminum version.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Yes. That is exactly what it is. How do you know these things? :spooky:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

si posted:

It's stronger, which does kind of matter for a hood, but it actually saves very little weight from aluminum even. I think fiberglass hoods tend to actually weigh more than the aluminum version.

Yeah, from my experience with CF hoods is that most of them are fiberglass hoods with only a thin outer layer being actual CF. Pretty much for the look alone. When we swapped hoods on my friends S2000 the CF hood felt slightly heavier or about the same as the OEM hood we were taking off, so yeah, purely cosmetic reasons unless you go for the $$$$$ ones.

And I actually kinda like that hood, the scoop section looks pretty good, a little bit of a fusion between the newer flowing scoops and the older stick on.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dayman posted:

That's one unexpected bonus of the aluminum hood on the WRX and STi.

The LGT got one too. It does make the rock chips stand out (shiny), but at least it isn't rust.

Why is a good pant job so expensive? I saw WRB LGT wagons all over New Zealand. I want it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Edward IV posted:

Awful in what way?

The only real trouble I had with snow (aside from going too fast to stop on short notice at which point the ABS goes into overdrive) was trying to start from a dead stop in 8" of of snow. There was enough snow on the road that my undercarriage was leaving an impression in the snow. I hadn't driven in snow much beforehand let alone know all the tips do drive in it but it took a lot of putting the car in forward and reverse (which was hampered by how slowly it shifts between the two modes) and messing with the steering wheel before I got enough momentum to keep moving. Fortunately, it was on the side streets and my home was less than a mile away. Plus, I was purposefully fooling around to test the limits of the car (within reason of course) and I now know not to stop in that much snow if I can avoid it.

Otherwise, the car, CVT, and AWD system performed well in the snow. I never felt like I was losing control and I was able to remain in control at or slightly below the posted speed limits when the traffic permitted it. Obviously, my fuel economy tanked to about 25 MPG but the CVT performed about as normally as it does on dry road. I never felt like I wished I could take control of it because it wasn't running optimally.

I have a 2007 Altima and I live in Cleveland so last witner was a bit rough. If there was more than a couple of inches of snow, I couldn't get my car to start moving. I have a feeling it was due to the CVT, it was upshifting too fast, and not getting enough power to the wheels. Once I switched to manual mode, most of the time, I was okay. There were a few times where my tires were just spinning and I couldn't get any traction at all. I imagine having all seasons instead of winter tires didn't help me either.

Good to know that they could handle the snow though, definitely makes me to seriously consider one. I imagine getting a good deal on one might be hard because it was such a rough winter.

sarcastx posted:

I checked with a friend of mine who works at a Subaru dealership and he said that they were expecting a refresh for the Impreza for the 2015 MY. They've just unveiled an all-new Outback at the New York auto show this month, but there is yet to be any announcement on the Prez. Regarding using the CVT in the snow, my 12 Legacy has had no problems whatsoever making progress in Wisconsin winter. Never had to de-activate VDC/TC, never had to switch to manual mode - although I do flip in to Manual Mode sometimes to slide around in parking lots :clint:

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of torn between waiting and going to look at a 2014. I don't think I'm going to even bother looking at used ones. I'm looking at them online and the prices are weird. There's a 2011 Impreza Premium with 31,000 miles and they're asking for $19,990. A new one doesn't cost that much more than that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

dayman posted:

Has the carbon fiber car part industry ever solved the UV damage problem (yellowing and resin damage)?
The upside: Yes, Chevrolet has. The downside: The clearcoat additive costs approximately $60,000 per gallon.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of torn between waiting and going to look at a 2014. I don't think I'm going to even bother looking at used ones. I'm looking at them online and the prices are weird. There's a 2011 Impreza Premium with 31,000 miles and they're asking for $19,990. A new one doesn't cost that much more than that.

You could always try making them an offer. Some dealers/people can price really high but then drop a huge amount when you actually push on the price.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Picked it up today. Photos featuring my dad who drove me to get it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I am still in dire need of a running EJ22 or EJ22t. Any of you kind gentleman have one or know where I can find one? I see them pop up on Nasioc and the Legacy forums from time to time, but people seem to think they are worth their weight in platinum. Last semi local one I found the dude wanted $700 for an EJ22 shortblock. gently caress that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd try car-part.com and see if you can dig up a junkyard block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I know the general opinion on prosport gauges but for someone who won't have the budget for Defis are they THAT bad and not worth it? I was thinking of adding a boost, oil pressure and something else.