Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Nah. I put in on the initial Kickstarter, but after I saw the brilliant genius plan that emerged when it failed that was the end of my willingness to extend faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Chris Roberts has a fairly decent track record. Wing commander series, Freelancer, did a stint in film. Actually had a decent plan for Star Citizen. Brad on the other hand has EQ and hasn't been heard from since Vanguard bombed and it was revealed he had drug issues. Had some MSpaint kickstarter with no concrete plan in place, opened up his kickstarter right as people were getting tired of failed kickstarters. Then instead of biding his time after kickstarter failed, tried to open up his own crowdfunding with a very high likelihood that he would run out of money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star Citizen is also promising "that space opera game you've always wanted", whereas Pantheon is promising "an HD version of that game you already had and stopped playing long ago". It's not hard to see why more people were excited about the former than the latter, independent of the credibility of the promises themselves.

I guess Pantheon is really promising "that feeling you had when you played EQ in 2001". It's offering up the expected (but IMO flawed) reasoning that it's related primarily to death penalties and advancement mechanics rather than to the novelty of the experience and the different lives players had then.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Comedy gold
http://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/24ky5b/brad_mcquaid_interviewed_by_a_moderator_on_his/

quote:

The money - It's widely agreed upon by all parties that this project took in roughly 145 thousand dollars. A large chunk of that money, 35k, came from a single individual who promised another couple hundred thousand once he cleared it with his trust.

Brad was having personal problems at the time and needed to take a cash advance from the project. He took roughly three months pay in advance which equaled roughly 38% of the funds that were left.

Brad thought the rest of the money would come in, but the trust supervisor declined without even looking into the project. Reason being, he didn't want to be sued if the start up failed. Brad admits that it was a mistake and wishes things worked out differently but the money is spent and there isn't anything he can do. He then went on to express that he was sorry for how it happened and is planning on liquidating personal assets to put the funds back into the project.

The past - Brad sees that many people are clamoring about the money he made before and why he is suddenly broke. He elaborated by saying, yes he made a lot of money with Everquest, but he also lost a great deal of money in the stock market in 2007. He went on to say that he has assets worth money, but no cash to his name.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What a time to coincide with this;
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/attorney-general-asylum-playing-cards-crowdfunded-project/

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Didn't see this one coming...

Nah, i did. I think we all saw this coming.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
All I see is a bunch of words that must mean Pantheon is right on track! YEAH!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Another Kickstarter might happen!?! It's like someone installed hot and cold schadenfreude taps in my kitchen.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

quote:

UPDATE:
To get more specific on some of the details- All of this is from Brad, not my personal opinion
The contracts that were given to the devs were paid. Roughly 85k of the total funds went to paying the contracts. Some money went to the fees involved with starting the company. The founding devs were also given stock in the company. Payment for work didn't begin until Feb 2014.
Brad took 45k as his advance and it was for 5 months of work advance, not 3.
VR is an official corporation.

45k can make for a hell of a meth orgy. Think of the possibilities!

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Brad has some deep personal issues that I hope he never gets over so the laughs keep coming.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Oh wow what a big surprise! hahahahahahahahahaha

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

spronk posted:

He elaborated by saying, yes he made a lot of money with Everquest, but he also lost a great deal of money in the stock market in 2007.

Is that what they are calling meth these days?

Man remember when he posted in this thread trying to make it sound like he was a professional and not trying to mooch money for drug. Good times.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

genghis.khan posted:

45k can make for a hell of a meth orgy. Think of the possibilities!

So the devs got paid to basically do nothing, sit around in Brads garage and take pictures of themselves?
Stock options?
Are you loving kidding me?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ahahahahahaha

I am shocked I tell you. Shocked!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

Some money went to the fees involved with starting the company.
That's like a grand for a California LLC. It sure *sounds* like a legit expense, though!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I love you guys for posting updates.
Brad is quickly becoming my favorite developer idea guy meth addict.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Subjunctive posted:

That's like a grand for a California LLC. It sure *sounds* like a legit expense, though!

Brad is a savvy businessman so I'm sure he registered in Nevada or Wyoming.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Phrasing posted:

Brad has some deep personal issues that I hope he never gets over so the laughs keep coming.

Brad seeing jail time would be good for a laugh.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Pantheon is shaping up to be a monster. This is all pre-release hype. You'll all see!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jabro posted:

Brad is a savvy businessman so I'm sure he registered in Nevada or Wyoming.

Yeah, I think it works out the same if you then have to register in CA, but if he's talking to ~investors~ then he probably wants a C corp.

Or a rusty van with "brad's mmoz" spraypainted on the side and some fake ID. Could go either way.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lost in the attention to the cool personal problems post is the fact that brad is now working on kickstarter #2

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lost in the attention to the cool personal problems post is the fact that brad is now working on kickstarter #2

This guy just doesnt give up.
Cant wait for more pictures of the devel team in his moms garage.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Guys, I just got leaked pre alpha pics

work in progress of first model, male troll playable race

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Gildiss posted:

I take it that the troll's racial mount is a wheel chair? It would explain the anatomy.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Whatever the mount is, it will always been a perfect mirror image of itself.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Gildiss posted:

drat, dude, you can't skip leg day. Seriously.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Physique inspired by meth

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

We need to hold an intervention and get Vhelen a job at a better MMO.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Gildiss posted:

Let's not compare Pantheon to Crimson Haze. At least that guy actually wanted to make an mmo and not just use it to get drug money.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Breaking Pantheon news as of 20 minutes ago! :ssj:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/blogs/355/106/re-building-pantheon-part-1

There is more in the link, but here is the big part of the news:

quote:

4. WE’RE BUILDING A NEW DEVELOPMENT TEAM. The game is entering a new phase right now. We need to put even more together about the game for the community and for, in the near future, potential investors. As mentioned earlier, development of the game continues, albeit right now at a slower pace. We are looking for volunteers who can help us during this phase and, if everything works out as planned, we hope that some of the volunteers will be part of this new team going forward. So development continues, that development will be shown to the community, and one of our goals (along with continuing to make the game of course) is more to show potential investors in the next 1-2 months.

This new dev team and how we're approaching it is different... certainly different for an MMO I think. I've learned a lot about remote development in the last 6+ months. It still doesn't beat an office, and having an office with actual employees is still a very real goal once we bring in funding. But it's also not what it used to be either... it really is a way that people can come together from all over the world and work on and build a game. Traditionally game development positions are as follows: management, programmers, designers, and artists. The new Pantheon Development team, however, because of it's nature (remote development and because of the crowdfunding component) is going to be broader than that.

First, team members will begin as volunteers. This is because 1. we don't have the funding right now to pay, 2. we're a little weary and concerned about setting a bunch of people up as remote, paid contractors like we did when this project started, and 3. because since these people are not necessary local to VRI’s home base in San Diego, we need to take the time to get to know each of these volunteers, spending time with them on teamspeak or skype, having them deliver some assets for evaluation, etc.

When we do bring in funding and restart that campaign to reach out to Angel Investors, Publishers, and the like, and when we can have an office and paid employees, we will then look at the volunteer force and, on a case by case basis, determine if that person wants to and should become a contractor or, if they can re-locate, possibly a full employee. But, in the meantime, I think this is a very exciting start. So many people have contacted me wanting to help with this project, and I remain very humbled by it. And some of those people have the talent we are looking for as we re-build the development team.

The second thing, because of the remote nature, the community involvement, how this site is structured, etc., is that there will be more official positions/jobs than the typical manager, programmer, designer, and artist set-up. We are adding moderators and lore writers to that list, and possibly more positions TBD. The Moderators position is the first part of the team I am focusing on. We need to do a lot better with this site and building community. There are quite a few of you who are part of this site and community, but we don't hear from you often. This is understandable, as posts by me and other people involved have been insufficient and simply not as exciting and fresh as they need to be. As mentioned earlier in this announcement, that is going to change. More posting and more blogging is coming. The Moderators group is going to be a huge part of this -- not only are they going to moderate, but they are also going to be posting about various game-related topics as well, and making the general forums an active and interesting place to browse and lurk and hopefully a bunch of you will start posting again as well. Lastly, they will also be reaching out, outside of this site, answering questions on other boards, and trying to drive traffic here, so we can grow this community, again not just larger, but healthier and more informative and open as well.

If you are someone you know might be interested in being part of this new volunteer force and team, please email me directly at brad@pantheonrotf.com and let me know. We need people familiar with Unity, both from a programming and art standpoint. We need designers. And we also need more moderators and now lore people as well.

Anyway, there will be more details forthcoming, but this is a good start. Pantheon lives and we will not only make it through this period, but we'll come out of it stronger, with more people involved, with the community better taken care of and informed, and with demonstrable progress, both for the community to check out as well as potential investors. I am so blown away and humbled by all of the people who have been reaching out to me and volunteering their time, advice, etc. I had no intention of giving up on this project before all of that. Now I am even more strengthened and encouraged than before. Building this new dev team is going to be fun and interesting, and I think in many ways someone unique as well.

In closing, the first change you are going to see is that members of the official Moderators Team are going from purple to green to identify them as part of this new dev team. Programmers, Artists, Designers, Unity experts, and Lore Writers will follow.

I think 'rising from the ashes' is going to be challenging, yes, but also a great deal of fun. I certainly look forward to being more involved, especially with the community, and especially talking about features, new ideas and game mechanics, what’s involved in making MMOs, etc.

-Brad "Aradune Mithara" McQuaid

LFDevelopers, PST THX

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ok never mind ignore what I said we we are literally using the crimson haze development model now. :wtc:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Breaking Pantheon news as of 20 minutes ago! :ssj:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/blogs/355/106/re-building-pantheon-part-1

There is more in the link, but here is the big part of the news:

LFDevelopers, PST THX

Sad part is, there's gonna be ALOT of stupid people applying for this job.

"I can't pay the new devel team cause my meth habbit is up to 600$ a day. Thanks and peace out!"

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 4, 2014

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Every reader, an artist.
Every gamer, a developer.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Looking for volunteers while I take 48% of the profit for my 2 hour a day internets posting.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I'll make the website.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Somebody get a "Lore Writer" position and start submitting Zybourne Clock references.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Node posted:

LFDevelopers, PST THX
Admittedly, this is less asinine than most of the Pantheon developments, logically speaking. Some people build assets for games where the Devs said they don't want them and won't take/use them (and then there's SOE, giving the players easy-to-use tools so anyone can build them a ton of assets) just because they enjoy doing it.

Not sure how many of them would want to work for Brad (if he makes it that far) given Pantheon so far and how Vanguard went (oh hey guys... meet in the parking lot... you're all fired), but it could be a decent deal for an unemployed developer/student trying to get experience (and maybe money/job).

Edit: I concede that there's far better projects than this, but it's still the most reasonable course taken by Brad to date.

bUm fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 5, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Seems really stupid to work for a guy taking a huge pay check and refusing to pay anyone.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

iminers posted:

Sad part is, there's gonna be ALOT of stupid people applying for this job.

"I can't pay the new devel team cause my meth habbit is up to 600$ a day. Thanks and peace out!"

bUm posted:

... but it could be a decent deal for an unemployed developer/student trying to get experience (and maybe money/job).

There are two other MMO Dev Teams that would give someone far more development experience: Origins of Malu and The Repopulation.
e: These both are unpaid from what I remember.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

bUm posted:

but it could be a decent deal for an unemployed developer/student trying to get experience (and maybe money/job).

- Worked in Brad McQuaid's garage on a failed game for a month

Isn't going to help that resume.

• Locked thread