Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm officially on hour 3 of the pursuer.. for some reason i'm having a hell of a time with this guy. Probably 40 deaths or more.

Summon a phantom. Murder the phantom the boss with the giant crossbow while the phantom distracts it.

Alternatively, parry him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cardboard Box posted:

You can't play the whole game start to finish together, if that's what you're asking. You can only summon each other for specific things, and there's no stopping other people from picking up the summon sign before your friend can.

This unnecessarily negative. You can play about 95% of the game together and use the name-engraved ring to quickly see each other's summon signs (and exclude others from summoning you easily- but if they do, you just crystal out). Be aware that in the aerie you need to use your small soapstone.

source: I just finished a co-op run with a friend.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

oh yeah, definitely not then. :( online only.

Oh yeah, should have been clear. We'd both be playing on steam on our PCs, but was hoping we'd be able to basically progress through the story together.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

turtlecrunch posted:

This unnecessarily negative. You can play about 95% of the game together and use the name-engraved ring to quickly see each other's summon signs (and exclude others from summoning you easily- but if they do, you just crystal out). Be aware that in the aerie you need to use your small soapstone.

Yeah the name engraved ring owns and makes co-op with friends the easiest its ever been.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

I was not trying to be negative, I just meant that in the sense that you are both in the same game world at all times and making progress together, a la something like Saints Row, no, you cannot play start-to-finish together.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

skystream92 posted:

Oh yeah, should have been clear. We'd both be playing on steam on our PCs, but was hoping we'd be able to basically progress through the story together.

I mean it would pretty much work because the story is almost non-existent in normal gameplay, you'd just have to essentially do the game twice since you get summoned in as "help" and not "player 2."

Also, since it was talked about a few pages ago. Here's what happens if you piss off the dragons in Dragon Aerie.

http://i.imgur.com/nO3dhiw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7ziNdeS.jpg

Not even my catlegs could save the day. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been watching some console pvp streams, and I'm wondering if maybe the problem I've been having with the bellkeepers drying up after sm 800k or so being because there just aren't as many people on PC. I mean soapstone and dragon eye duels are fine and all but several covenants are worthless almost because of it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been watching some console pvp streams, and I'm wondering if maybe the problem I've been having with the bellkeepers drying up after sm 800k or so being because there just aren't as many people on PC. I mean soapstone and dragon eye duels are fine and all but several covenants are worthless almost because of it.

there's pretty much always going to be less people playing a game on PC than on consoles. according to steam stats the game has anywhere between 50-70k players daily.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm officially on hour 3 of the pursuer.. for some reason i'm having a hell of a time with this guy. Probably 40 deaths or more.

The one early on? You can always come back later, the early pursuer can be a bitch if you're not good on weapon/shields yet. Like the last giant is easily doable at lvl+10, while I'd probably wait about lvl25+ before taking on the pursuer.

Difficulty wise hes way harder than dragonrider, old dragonslayer, and flexible sentry.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 5, 2014

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I died to the prowling magus. I'm so ashamed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So do claws kinda suck in this game or are the caestus just powerful as gently caress?

Doctor Zaius posted:

I died to the prowling magus. I'm so ashamed.

I died to Covetous Demon this run mostly because I wanted to see what he was all about. He's actually a pretty neat boss with some cool attacks and tricks which makes it all the bigger shame he's so easy.

Covetous Demon is Dark Souls II's Sif. The dude just wants to be fat and sleepy but nope you gotta go in and gently caress his poo poo up for no reason. RIP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or leave a sign outside the fight, see how others tackle it. Or get shot with a ballista.

Question about respeccing: What happens if you dont have a soul vessel? Does it just reset you to base stats?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardboard Box posted:

there's pretty much always going to be less people playing a game on PC than on consoles. according to steam stats the game has anywhere between 50-70k players daily.

I kind of figured it'd be way higher than that. I guess that's why then.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Yodzilla posted:

So do claws kinda suck in this game or are the caestus just powerful as gently caress?

It has a been a tradition (well not really) but the claws have always sucked. :(

Also yes the Casetus are powerful as gently caress. Hell I run with +3/+2 for a bit and I was destroying enemies with the two punch combo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Or leave a sign outside the fight, see how others tackle it. Or get shot with a ballista.

Question about respeccing: What happens if you dont have a soul vessel? Does it just reset you to base stats?

Or shoot your host with the ballista!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Caestus has really, really good damage scaling with both strength and dexterity. Claws are primarily dexterity, bleed and a E in strength if I remember correctly.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Felicia is by far the best phantom ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDAQ3y0xdA

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Also JESUS FREYA WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What happens if you use Seed of a Tree of Giants while pulled into Ratbro Land?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dragon Tooth loving blows for my big fat tank-daddy build. Taking a step after every swing is THE PITS.

Anyone have an idea for a good weapon (Defenders Great Sword aside, already have it :P) that would fit a Havel's wearing dork? I got a bigass mace off a Drake Keeper, that may work I think...

I mean poo poo, I played 80% of the game with the drat Mace, and aesthetically it fit decently well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Annath posted:

What happens if you use Seed of a Tree of Giants while pulled into Ratbro Land?

Nothing; you're the phantom, not them.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I Bellbroed all day today to grind up 30 wins for the exclusive spell and it was loving nonstop invasions on NG+ 3-3.5m soul memory. I feel like it has to be even more common on NG1.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nothing; you're the phantom, not them.

This makes me unreasonably sad :saddowns:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Dragon Tooth loving blows for my big fat tank-daddy build. Taking a step after every swing is THE PITS.

Anyone have an idea for a good weapon (Defenders Great Sword aside, already have it :P) that would fit a Havel's wearing dork? I got a bigass mace off a Drake Keeper, that may work I think...

I mean poo poo, I played 80% of the game with the drat Mace, and aesthetically it fit decently well.

Demon's Great Hammer is pretty massive and has A str scaling at +5. Can be a bitch to get though.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Demon's Great Hammer is pretty massive and has A str scaling at +5. Can be a bitch to get though.

You can get it for a smooth object right at the beginning, I think. I got one on my 2-handed strength character for free first time!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just toss down the small soapstone.

You'll swim in stones for trading.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Oh I thought it was a Petrified Object only item. In that case just go to Dragon Shrine and shadebro all day.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving HATE SHRINE OF ANIMA!!

WHAT THE FYCK IS THIS loving poo poo WHAT THE gently caress

loving CASTERS OUT OF loving RANGE ALL THE loving TIME

AS A CASTER THIS IS loving HELL

gently caress YOU DARK SOULS 2

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been having so many bell invasions the last hour, I had trouble getting the ring off.

If anyone's been invaded by a fat slob named Butch, that's me.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Try bow, and then poison

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Learning the Binoculars + Lightning Spear trick saved me so much time in my second run in that area.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

White Phosphorus posted:

I was able to get the game to run much smoother on my lovely 630M by getting the latest drivers, and then going into Nvidia settings and shutting off the few things that remained on. So if you want to squeeze out some more performance for PVP try that.

What did you shut off? I've got the same card.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

FutonForensic posted:

Learning the Binoculars + Lightning Spear trick saved me so much time in my second run in that area.

Seriously. You can hit them way outside targeting range and the lightning will do a lot of damage since they're standing in water.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I find it funny that areas that make people super angry in DS2 (Amana and Black Gulch mainly) are about 1000x easier if you just take your time and don't hold sprint.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Whelp turns out fall reduction stacks(atleast from equipment), threw myself down to the gutter without much issue. Although still doable with just the cat ring.

Vintersorg posted:

Its a bow check, have you got bow? no? git rekt'd.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Pyromancy effective if you don't level up Intelligence or Faith? Is upgrading the glove enough for it to deal respectable damage?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Is Pyromancy effective if you don't level up Intelligence or Faith? Is upgrading the glove enough for it to deal respectable damage?

As far as I've heard, yes.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Has anybody found a creative solution to the input lag on KBM and the weird timing for controllers for jump attacks and guard breaks? It's getting a little frustrating not being able to do them. :saddowns:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Vintersorg posted:

Grab the binoculars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tracula posted:

I find it funny that areas that make people super angry in DS2 (Amana and Black Gulch mainly) are about 1000x easier if you just take your time and don't hold sprint.

Amana isn't difficult, just tedious and full of bullshit deaths(Helloooooo sudden pit of death). Seriously, why does my guy sink like a rock when he's barely wearing armour.