Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Doulos posted:

Wow, that was a new one. My wife's just starting her playing, and Last Giant just hit her while she was outside the fog door, before she even went in to help the host. Then they host hour stepped on, so no loss, but really?

It's happened to me on a couple more bosses as well. Some boss attacks will pierce the fog door; the rude bosses were Snake lady in Earthen Peak and the Smelter Demon. Quite rude. Just don't stand right up next to the door on those two if you're playing co-op with the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What means Poke????

Some trainer/utility?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Some pubbie host I was sunbroing managed to die to Coveteous Demon within like 10 seconds. There should be an award for that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BlackFrost posted:

An aquatic Souls game where you fight whatever various horrors lies deep within the ocean would loving rule. I'm not sure how it would really work, though.

Mermaid Souls, I guess? :v:

Deep Souls, duh.

It always has to be a D

Edit: vvv:smugwizard:vvv

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 5, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Terror from the Dark. :v:

Now you have me imagining a Dark Souls game where you fight Lobstermen which would be horrifying. Assuming your equipped like a standard Xcom soldier at any rate.

BlackFrost posted:

An aquatic Souls game where you fight whatever various horrors lies deep within the ocean would loving rule. I'm not sure how it would really work, though.

Mermaid Souls, I guess? :v:

Deep Souls obviously :colbert:

People hate water levels in video games because they usually have awful gimmicks with poo poo controls, but I love ocean aesthetics so seeing an area based more around that would be pretty sweet. I loved the parts in this game where you had to move through a flooded corridor with monsters lurking just beneath the surface of the water. A level that featured a lot of that could be annoying, but From is pretty good when it comes to unique level ideas so I bet they could pull it off.

Or it would be like the Blighttown Swamp.

keyframe posted:

Some pubbie host I was sunbroing managed to die to Coveteous Demon within like 10 seconds. There should be an award for that.

Best Covetous Demon deaths are when someone gets hit by his roll, survives, and then keep standing right next to him without healing so he just flops over and kills them. He gives you like 5 seconds to get away and heal but you just gotta keep punching fatty.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 5, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been watching some console pvp streams, and I'm wondering if maybe the problem I've been having with the bellkeepers drying up after sm 800k or so being because there just aren't as many people on PC. I mean soapstone and dragon eye duels are fine and all but several covenants are worthless almost because of it.

If it makes you feel any better on xbox I'd say that's about where things start dropping off a lot and after a million on NG there's pretty much nothing. I think a lot of the streamers you're watching are probably in NG+.

But yeah you're probably right that like the rat covenant has a lifespan of about 3 weeks after release and then the only reason to go there if you're not a rat is to try to get an easy lockstone (and if you are a rat, hope there are a ton of people looking for easy lockstones. Probably not).

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
gently caress rats forever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Either there's something wrong with how the game subtracts souls from Great Resonant Soul, or soul recollection is bugged. I'm not picking up the right amount after using it and dying.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If it makes you feel any better on xbox I'd say that's about where things start dropping off a lot and after a million on NG there's pretty much nothing. I think a lot of the streamers you're watching are probably in NG+.

Yeah, it's just that pvp is so fun, so everything outside of soapstones basically not working more than a third of the game in is lame as hell.

quote:

Assuming your equipped like a standard Xcom soldier at any rate.

Well, you'd probably be about as survivable as the average rookie.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 5, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Damp Souls.

I beat the Covetous Demon as my lovely caster. That special attack nearly hosed me over while I fumbled around in my menus, but otherwise how do you even lose to that? I had the hp reducing ring on and barely have any health normally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yodzilla posted:

loving lol

Can't stop punching things, punching things is the best. Even the knights in Iron Keep get stagger locked in my fury.

Kinda wanna go back to this. Dual maces and dual clubs are kindasorta boring, I can always pull one out with a shield if I need a little reach.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

But yeah you're probably right that like the rat covenant has a lifespan of about 3 weeks after release and then the only reason to go there if you're not a rat is to try to get an easy lockstone (and if you are a rat, hope there are a ton of people looking for easy lockstones. Probably not).

I dunno, I haven't had too much trouble finding someone to Rat-attack. Granted, I'm not sure how long it'll last in a regular NG.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Finally found something I can't kill with my punches...

...crystal lizards. :negative: Why can't I just stomp those little fuckers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dual fists is actually legit and really fun. My sunbro is running around with a lightning fist and a dark fist because he's also investing in faith, and he's the best sun bro. Stunlock all the enemies with your fists of justice, heal everyone with your miracles, flex victoriously with force.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

What means Poke????

Some trainer/utility?

Memory editor. Don't like your current souls? Set them to 999999. Hit points? 999999. Equip load? 999999. Or whatever.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Yodzilla posted:

Finally found something I can't kill with my punches...

...crystal lizards. :negative: Why can't I just stomp those little fuckers.

Jump punch them. :v:

Either that or kirk them when they are in the corner and no where else to run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Oh, hey: when purchasing items (i.e. arrows) in bulk, pressing Left increases the amount by 10, and Right decreases it by ten.

And pressing down buys the max you can afford, up to 999.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Damp Souls.

I beat the Covetous Demon as my lovely caster. That special attack nearly hosed me over while I fumbled around in my menus, but otherwise how do you even lose to that? I had the hp reducing ring on and barely have any health normally.

Get caught between the Covetous Demon and a wall. Maybe I could have jumped over the tail but, eh, he deserves a kill every now and again.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

original content DO NOT STEAL!!!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Bleu posted:

Memory editor. Don't like your current souls? Set them to 999999. Hit points? 999999. Equip load? 999999. Or whatever.

Would that explain this?

I was bellbroing with ANGRY OLD MAN and this guy completely ignored me and rang the bell with two dwarves on him. I unloaded on him and did no damage. He was running around with a clearly broken greatsword (I have a screenshot of him hitting a dwarf for 12 damage).

I finally just started pointing at the fog door, and when he went in I stunlocked him with dual caestus. Eventually another bellbro showed up - in the screenshot all three of us landed hits. His hit bar never budged. You can see the blood on the dwarf's axe from the follow through on the blow that knocked him down. After over a minute of pounding on him his hit point bar suddenly vanished and I got TARGET DESTROYED. So either he turned off the cheat because he was tired of being stunlocked, or we did enough damgage in one shot to bypass it?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Aww the depressed white knights are just enemies for you to kill and not cool bros? I was really hoping there was something I was missing about them. Now they have to die I guess.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Shindragon posted:

Jump punch them. :v:

Either that or kirk them when they are in the corner and no where else to run.

try two handing, then heavy attack

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
Can someone explain to me what the Old Leo Ring does? Its description is less than ideal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to get summoned for Mirror Knight, instead keep getting summoned by the same guy camping red phantoms with his friends. From, why do you come up with really cool PvP ideas and then implement them in the worst loving way possible?

Don't get why the Mirror Knight doesn't just summon people like Old Monk did.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love those stun lock rapier. FUN FUN FUN.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to get summoned for Mirror Knight, instead keep getting summoned by the same guy camping red phantoms with his friends. From, why do you come up with really cool PvP ideas and then implement them in the worst loving way possible?

Is there any special item for winning that like that awesome Old Monk hat?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The shrine of anime is a very weak part of the game. Could've had you fighting powerful sorcerers and unique guardian-like enemies, instead you get assholes who just snipe you with soul arrows 24/7 and lurkers that can't possibly surprise you after the first time, combined with a "huh huh dont fall!" gimmick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dis astranagant posted:

Is there any special item for winning that like that awesome Old Monk hat?

No, and surprise it sucks. Actually fighting with the Looking Knight is fun. Out of the last 20 minutes I got summoned twice. Here's what happended the rest of the time;

-Summoned repeatedly by people farming red phantoms
-Invaded by arbiter spirits because you can be invaded in cleared areas, inexplicably

So its another cool idea ruined by garbage implementation. No wonder I never saw any humans in my fight.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The shrine of anime is a very weak part of the game. Could've had you fighting powerful sorcerers and unique guardian-like enemies, instead you get assholes who just snipe you with soul arrows 24/7 and lurkers that can't possibly surprise you after the first time, combined with a "huh huh dont fall!" gimmick.

Actually its pretty good and poses a unique challenge. If you fell in the water you just suck at paying attention.

EDIT: Everyone I fight now is just a stun lock abusing rear end in a top hat. Winning PvP fights is an uphill battle because I'm not a PvP optimal build and also have a super inefficient soul memory. Fun.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 5, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Internet Kraken posted:

I think you can do it anywhere in that hallway, not just in that chamber. You might be able to hide it somewhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I think you can do it anywhere in that hallway, not just in that chamber. You might be able to hide it somewhere.

Some wikis say anywhere in the castle, but who knows, really. I just got soapstone summoned when I tried, corridor or no.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually its pretty good and poses a unique challenge. If you fell in the water you just suck at paying attention.

Actually its poo poo and while falling in the water is easy to avoid the enemies are poo poo and most have to resort to gaming the system unless binocular casting is an intended tactic.

Maybe now you'll come back and be like, WELL IF YOU HAD BOWS. Or some other poo poo.

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:

Vintersorg posted:

I loving HATE SHRINE OF ANIMA!!

WHAT THE FYCK IS THIS loving poo poo WHAT THE gently caress

loving CASTERS OUT OF loving RANGE ALL THE loving TIME

AS A CASTER THIS IS loving HELL

gently caress YOU DARK SOULS 2

Nailed it.

:iiam:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Internet Kraken posted:

How does this work, exactly? Do you throw down a red summon sign near his boss gate and hope for the best? The Mirror Knight gimmick seems like a really cool idea, it's a shame that it flat out doesn't seem to work. :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

No, and surprise it sucks. Actually fighting with the Looking Knight is fun. Out of the last 20 minutes I got summoned twice. Here's what happended the rest of the time;

-Summoned repeatedly by people farming red phantoms
-Invaded by arbiter spirits because you can be invaded in cleared areas, inexplicably

So its another cool idea ruined by garbage implementation. No wonder I never saw any humans in my fight.

You really should have had to win with the knight to get his shield and armor or something. The Old Monk gave such a fantastic and unique item if you won as the boss.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Internet Kraken posted:

There's been people complaining about it nearly every page, I think it might not actually be good at all!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think after NG+ every player should just be in the same pool for invasions and such. I mean who the gently caress cares at that point? You beat the game and you're in SL 150+ with maxed out gear, a couple of stat points aren't going to make any gaps between you and others that can't be bridged with skill.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 5, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The only part in the shrine that I found annoying to roll past without ranged abilities is the last bit where the archdrakes screen for the casters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vintersorg posted:

Actually its poo poo and while falling in the water is easy to avoid the enemies are poo poo and most have to resort to gaming the system unless binocular casting is an intended tactic.

Maybe now you'll come back and be like, WELL IF YOU HAD BOWS. Or some other poo poo.

I beat it purely with melee without any trouble. Maybe you just need to get better at adjusting your tactics.

Cicadalek posted:

There's been people complaining about it nearly every page, I think it might not actually be good at all!

People complain about a lot of poo poo that's fine just because it gives them trouble. I played through Shrine of Anama without using any of the tricks mentioned and didn't find it difficult. It poses a unique challenge but is completely fair about it.

BlackFrost posted:

How does this work, exactly? Do you throw down a red summon sign near his boss gate and hope for the best? The Mirror Knight gimmick seems like a really cool idea, it's a shame that it flat out doesn't seem to work. :(

Place your red soapstone summon sign in the hallway leading up to the boss and he may summon you! But that won't happen. Instead you'll be summoned by people camping the area for kills. Either spirit invading you or people summoning your red soapstone sign. Its idiotic.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat it purely with melee without any trouble. Maybe you just need to get better at adjusting your tactics.

People complain about a lot of poo poo that's fine just because it gives them trouble. I played through Shrine of Anama without using any of the tricks mentioned and didn't find it difficult. It poses a unique challenge but is completely fair about it.

It's lovely and takes forever. It is 3 sections of the same very boring gimmick over and over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the Shrine of Amana wasn't that bad, but the game firing my soul arrows into the water at nothing instead of in the direction of the casters got old quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did I get lucky during the Looking Glass Knight fight? He only tried to summon twice. The first time, I think I guard broke him, and the second time was when I delivered the killing blow.