Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vittles for the chitlins
Nov 4, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaay~

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any way to get the Pardoner set in this game? I want that helmet/mask.

Yes.

You can get in dragon shrine by using a Lockstone.

dis astranagant posted:

Is there a reasonably obtainable in pairs weapon with the falchion's moveset that isn't ridiculously fragile? It's really growing on me but I had a pair break on me during the not-Ornstein fight. Or am I going to have to suck it up and carry a ton of them all the time?

Invest in a bracing knuckle ring. Carry around some repair powders, and try not to hit scenery.

vittles for the chitlins fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You have a 630m and have to play with most of the in-game graphical settings on low? I get 40+ fps on average with medium/high settings and I'm playing on a laptop with a 525m gpu...

Well it ran like poo poo with the old drivers so I just assumed that I had to keep it at low. I guess I can try turning it back up.

How come the two handed leap attack doesn't flatten enemies anymore? I can flatten things with my R2 but not with the leap attack, which I assumed is stronger like it was in DS1. The weird thing though is that the leap attack does flatten people in PVP, I've done it with the bastard sword of all things. Is it just bugged in PVE?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How do I get Gavlan to show up in the Doors of Pharros? I went to the DOP before the shipyard by accident on NG+. Do I need to see him in Earthen Peak in order for him to show up in DOP? I need my poison arrow fix, man.

Also the spotted whip is hilarious, both for the sound it makes and the animation of it freaking out every time I whip it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
How's my Simon Belmont?

Face isn't perfect but I think the brigand armor works really well since it basically has the leather skirt like from CV 1 or 4.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If only you could get 1000 daggers

Dirty Job posted:

How do I get Gavlan to show up in the Doors of Pharros? I went to the DOP before the shipyard by accident on NG+. Do I need to see him in Earthen Peak in order for him to show up in DOP? I need my poison arrow fix, man.

Also the spotted whip is hilarious, both for the sound it makes and the animation of it freaking out every time I whip it.
Yes, you need to see him in Harvest Valley to send him to Doors.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

It's not that shrine of amana is hard, it's just not fun.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but have you ever been invaded by a Nameless Usurper? 99.50% sure that's Licia of Lindelt. Outfits are identical, and it fits the other lore floating around of her hijacking her chime and pretending to be holy. Hence, a Nameless Usurper. In addition to ripping people off on miracles, she's invading and trying to murder folks, including the protagonist.

Edit: Man, thread moves way too fast

I never knew that was her. The red phantom colors makes it really hard to differentiate people. I miss the subtle tints in Demon's Souls.

EDIT: And you still get invaded after she dies. So....:psyduck:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 5, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Nahxela posted:

If only you could get 1000 daggers

I've been using lots of throwing knives and holy waters. I can't think of what else would fit as a sub weapon though for something like the axe or cross. Shame you can't pitch them like the Gyrm do in the Doors of Pharos :(

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

DING DING DING NEW SOULS GAME INCOMING

I feel like this means no DLC for DkS2.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

I never knew that was her. The red phantom colors makes it really hard to differentiate people. I miss the subtle tints in Demon's Souls.

Funny think I did that. I killed her and she still invaded. The game is very unclear who is undead and who isn't. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doing the optional Vendrick fight. I really like the atmosphere of this fight but jesus this guy has so much loving health. Of course when I finally get him down low I have to flub a dodge and get one shotted :negative:

About Licia, I tried fighting her and got wrecked. I mean I was fighting her fine at first but then she used a miracle like force, only instead of stunning me it killed me from full health. It casts so fast there's no way I could reliably avoid it, so I guess I can't kill her this run. I think the game is telling me that I need to invest in some vigor already.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW

SynthOrange posted:

Step 1: Download ENB
Step 2: Get VAC banned

Any serious gamers willing to give me a straight answer instead of trolling?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I decided to make a gimmick character RUDE BARRELS, which mainly uses Chameleon and Force, with some soul arrows on the side, and chases hosts in Belfry Luna around as an aggressively harmless trio of barrels. Besides the normal hilarity of pushing people off the bridge with force, I invaded someone who was running the same gimmick, so we just chilled together for a while.

Then he got impatient and chased me around so I had to push him off the bridge. RIP chameleon bro :(

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 5, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man, I can't even begin to go into the timey wimey stuff in Dark Souls, especially involving phantoms. In DS1 you could, for example, find what's probably the corpse of Black Iron Tarkus right before you summon him to help you. I still have some big ol' honkin' questions involving how the giant memory sections of this game work / what they actually are / what what what what.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

YOSPOS King posted:

I am a VERY serious gamer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

About Licia, I tried fighting her and got wrecked. I mean I was fighting her fine at first but then she used a miracle like force, only instead of stunning me it killed me from full health. It casts so fast there's no way I could reliably avoid it, so I guess I can't kill her this run. I think the game is telling me that I need to invest in some vigor already.

Just block. That's WoG, a spell you don't get access to unless you are CRAZY lucky with blue sentinels or reach Drangleic on NG++. It doesn't do poo poo through shields and she takes forever to cast it. The trick to that fight is realizing she has 0 poise and just smashing her face in over and over again.

She's so easy and doesn't fight anything like Nameless Usurper. You can also get invaded by NU when she's dead. I don't think there's an actual link between them, especially when you're only invaded by NU in Drangleic and the Undead Crypt, places very close to loyalty.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

YOSPOS King posted:

Honestly don't know if the are not. From has been mum what will cause a VAC ban.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Man, I can't even begin to go into the timey wimey stuff in Dark Souls, especially involving phantoms. In DS1 you could, for example, find what's probably the corpse of Black Iron Tarkus right before you summon him to help you. I still have some big ol' honkin' questions involving how the giant memory sections of this game work / what they actually are / what what what what.

Wait, I thought the corpse of Tarkus is where you find his armor, next to the painting? He's only summonable for the Iron Golem fight, which comes before that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Killed all the NPCs before starting new game+ and was planning to get rid of my sin early on but killing this endless stream of scrub-rear end arbiter phantoms with my claymore of (in)justice is just too hilarious. I mean, I'm not even all that good at the game but every one of them that runs up on me just gets wrecked, even when they catch me at awkward moments. It makes me wonder what the hell they're building towards and if they're ever successful.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

It makes me wonder what the hell they're building towards and if they're ever successful.

Trying to get Wrath of Gods before NG++ probably :(. It's close to impossible.

E: Is actually impossible

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/wrath-of-the-gods

quote:

A miracle obtained from gaining Rank 2 in the Blue Sentinels covenant. The exact amount of successful invasions (host kills, black phantom kills or sparring duel victories) needed to gain this miracle is 150.

The fun part though? It's only one cast, two with 43 attunement. The cast time has also been horrendously nerfed. So it's all for nothing.

Meanwhile casters get loving great resonant soul.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 5, 2014

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Control Volume posted:

Well I decided to make a gimmick character RUDE BARRELS, which mainly uses Chameleon and Force, with some soul arrows on the side, and chases hosts in Belfry Luna around as an aggressively harmless trio of barrels. Besides the normal hilarity of pushing people off the bridge with force, I invaded someone who was running the same gimmick, so we just chilled together for a while.

Then he got impatient and chased me around so I had to push him off the bridge. RIP chameleon bro :(

As far as I am concerned, casting homing soulmass and then chameleon is mandatory during belfry invasions. Bonus points if you get that weird round doll cage thing, the soulmass outlines the head quite nicely.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

You just have to do a lot of grinding. Losses don't effect Blue Sentinel pvp, or I would never have gotten rank 1.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just found out who's responsible for the singing in Shrine of Amana... would rather have not known.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got summoned as the mirror squire! And died before I finished loading. :v:

e: Second time I crushed them with GRS. Revenge! Summoning seems to work better before in the room before you fight the knights, instead of right at the door.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 5, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

bewilderment posted:

Wait, I thought the corpse of Tarkus is where you find his armor, next to the painting? He's only summonable for the Iron Golem fight, which comes before that.

After looking back into it, you are right and I am dumb. I'm still really confused about certain NPCs showing up in certain giant memories, though.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Tarkus probably took a header off the rafters :(

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

DSauer posted:

Tarkus probably took a header off the rafters :(

Gravity has always been the greatest villain in the Souls series

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

RBA Starblade posted:

I got summoned as the mirror squire! And died before I finished loading. :v:

e: Second time I crushed them with GRS. Revenge! Summoning seems to work better before in the room before you fight the knights, instead of right at the door.

Huh, neat. Didn't know those were real players, I thought they were NPCs. That's pretty wicked.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Bobnumerotres posted:

E: Is actually impossible

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/wrath-of-the-gods

The fun part though? It's only one cast, two with 43 attunement. The cast time has also been horrendously nerfed. So it's all for nothing.

Meanwhile casters get loving great resonant soul.

You could also make the case that the old WoG was just as ridiculous as great resonant soul. Anyone who fought WoG spammers with a bit of lag was hosed, just like anyone who fights GRS spammers with a bit of lag. Even knowing how to counter the two spells, you were screwed if you mis-stepped at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

big duck equals goose posted:

Huh, neat. Didn't know those were real players, I thought they were NPCs. That's pretty wicked.

It sometimes summons npcs if it can't find a human. You can generally tell. I just got another guy with soul spears! This is really fun. Definitely put the red soapstone sign down before the corridor with the horse statue soldiers. Replace it every few seconds until you get the message saying the looking glass knight summons you.

e: I don't know if the game tells you when a human is summoned though.

e: loving up boss fights for other players is hilarious.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 5, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

MONSTER DETECTED ^^^

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope in the next souls game you can do this for every boss fight. I mean, you're allowed to bring help, why can't the boss?

With the exception of the smelter demon every boss in every souls game is like totally loving helpless when fought by more than one player. I wish there were mechanics in place to counter this beyond "more health."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There are. In NG+, some bosses get Adds/more adds to come help em out at intervals, dont they?

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Harvest valley is really kicking my rear end right now, but I'm glad to finally get here; I've been wanting to join the Sun covenant for a while.

I'd also kind of like to join the Pilgrims of Dark, but that seems like it's fairly endgame even as a possibility. What are the penalties for leaving a covenant using the cat?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

try two handing, then heavy attack

Yeah found this out while killing the last of the Congregation. Those crystal bastards can't hide from me now!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

big duck equals goose posted:

I thought Iron Tarkus was a real player the first time I fought the Iron Golem because he's actually good at the fight.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Could someone please point me towards the mod that contains quality-of-life fixes like removed mouse cursor for gamepads, etc? This is a huge thread, sorry.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mariposa posted:

Harvest valley is really kicking my rear end right now, but I'm glad to finally get here; I've been wanting to join the Sun covenant for a while.

I'd also kind of like to join the Pilgrims of Dark, but that seems like it's fairly endgame even as a possibility. What are the penalties for leaving a covenant using the cat?

There are no penalties for leaving covenants anymore, at any time. Doesn't even count as a sin.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mazed posted:

Licia is kind of like this game's Lautrec. Doesn't gently caress you over by killing useful NPCs, just goes after you repeatedly.

You're thinking of Knight Kirk, I'm pretty sure. Lautrec just kills the Firelink keeper then runs off to Anor Londo. You do need to use a similar invasion item to find him, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mariposa posted:

There's no penalty for leaving a covenant, no matter how you do it.
What's so difficult in Harvest Valley? I'm not particularly good at the game but as long as you're not going for every item (in which case there's something you need to do in Earthen Peak, the next area, first to make it much easier on yourself) it's actually really straightforward. From the first bonfire, run past the first giant in the poison, climb up the second ladder, pull the lever, then jump down and run past the two giants to the second bonfire on the right. From there you just go forwards, go right down the main path, cross the bridge, go up and then just keep going up, killing a few hammerdudes and potbugs along the way until you get to one of the easiest bosses in the game.