Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bing the Noize posted:

I've only ever played Hard Drivin' in the arcade. Which of the ports of the later ones (if any) is the most worth playing? Never played Stunts or the other PC one. Also what's the name of that Atari racing game that was also from 89 or 90 except you could shoot bullets and ride up the walls really high?

Honestly, I'd say not even the original is worth playing. It's slow, clunky, and unfun. It was designed as a graphical and technological wonder first and as a game second and that tech advantage only lasted about a year.

However, if you really want to play it, I was using Midway Arcade Treasures 3 which has a whole bunch of mid-90's racers on it. My copy cost about fifty cents so I doubt you'll pay much for it.

The game you're thinking of is Road Blasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I like Columns better than Tetris. Actually, I'm not ashamed of that at all, but the prevailing attitude seems to be that Columns was bad/mediocre and little more than Sega's half-assed attempt at cashing in on the Tetris craze. gently caress that—-Columns rules.

I don't like Columns more than Tetris, but you're absolutely right that it does not get enough respect.

Random Stranger posted:

The game you're thinking of is Road Blasters.

Are you sure? There's not really walls to ride up in that, unless I missed out on some amazing poo poo by not getting to the later levels. Maybe they're thinking of that one that's the same kind of polygonal engine as Hard Drivin' but is housed in a sit-down console that is kinda like a motorcycle seat, but is more like a park bench for being square and unpadded? gently caress, what was that called.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

eStarland's prices range from "ok" to "total poo poo" but this might be worth keeping an eye on, either for a good snag or just for hilarity:

http://www.estarland.com/Promo/RareNES.html

Rollersnake posted:

The only Ultima games I ever really enjoyed were the dumbed-down NES ports of 3 and 4.

Ultima 3 on the NES is the best Ultima and I will engage in fisticuffs with anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Agrias120 posted:

eStarland's prices range from "ok" to "total poo poo" but this might be worth keeping an eye on, either for a good snag or just for hilarity:

http://www.estarland.com/Promo/RareNES.html

Ultima 3 on the NES is the best Ultima and I will engage in fisticuffs with anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

I first played it in kindergarten and did surprisingly well (with a tips guide, which is how I found the game to begin with) for someone who didn't understand the concept of saving and started over with a new party every time I turned the game on. :v:

I don't think I fully appreciated how good it was until I attempted to play the PC version. That FCI was able to make a playable and fun game out of that mess is nothing short of a goddamn miracle.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 4, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Retro gaming confessions:

The first NES I owned was a toploader. I found out last year that my brother gave it away. I have never owned an SNES or a Genesis. Also I hate hearing "SNES" phonetically. WRT this era, I have played a lot of games and beat none.

I owned a ps1 and sold my copies of FF7 and Legend of the Dragoon recently to buy PS2 games. I have no regrets.

I owned an n64 and sm64 and never beat it. (We played tons of Goldeneye.) One of my all time favorites for this system was Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, a sports game. Although really, the Midway sports games are a world apart and I will fight anyone who says they aren't fun.

I have never beaten a single Zelda or Mario game. I have not played any RPG pre PS1 for more than 5 minutes.

Oh wait, I beat New Super Mario Bros on DS. Does that count?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nativity In Black posted:

Also I hate hearing "SNES" phonetically.

I don't care what anyone else says, but saying it like that is awful. It's painful for me to hear the guys on Giant Bomb say it so often.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to start calling it the Snez? We never called the NES the Nezz, where the gently caress is your etymology, people?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Allen Wren posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to start calling it the Snez? We never called the NES the Nezz, where the gently caress is your etymology, people?

Some people do call it the "Nezz" and they are the worst people.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

al-azad posted:

It's okay, someone in here hadn't played Super Metroid and I think Code Jockey(?) never owned a Genesis?

It's true.

Hmmm, my retro sins... Well, I feel guilty about letting my twin fami just sit and collect dust while I drag rear end on getting the drive replaced. That's certainly one thing.

Oh, and I'm 99% emulation. I'd like to balance that out with the fact that a significant amount of my phone's storage is allocated to ROMs, so maybe that absolves me a little?

SOTN is my favorite Castlevania. I'm sure that doesn't sit well with some people...

I'm just not that "into" Earthbound. It's has a good story, cute art, and it was great at the time, but my recent playthrough made me glad my emulator had a fast-forward button. The combat was boring to me, and there was a lot of loving combat. The end is interesting, though. I know I really liked it as a kid.

Also I loving love FF Mystic Quest, and I don't care what anyone says. It's often viewed as "babby's first FF game" but I think it's legit fun, the music is great and the art is nice. :colbert:

I guess this counts too, due to the popularity of Pokemon, but I just can't really get into it. I played through the very first one, and it was fine, but I seem to have broken the game just power-leveling my bulbasaur and destroying everything in the game with it. Are later games better? One of my devs recommended I try one of the more recent DS games, which I might do. I guess I just don't see the appeal, but I think maybe I just haven't played the right game[s].

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Allen Wren posted:

Europe.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I hear people do that up here [the northwest] a lot. Sness and Ness. :argh:

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Retro sins:

I have never owned a NES and never will. I've played everything I want to at friends' houses or emulators, and there just isn't anything compelling enough to buy an overpriced system and cart.

I have almost every "high profile" SNES game worth owning, but the only one that's been in my system for the past few months is Rockman X. Same with Genesis, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I spent something stupid like $90 to import SotN for Saturn but barely got past an hour, despite 3-4 clears on PSX

I've purchased just about every release of MGS3 and despite really wanting to finish it, can't get over the camo gimmick. Very easy mode will be my next attempt.

I'm sure there are more but I'm posting from a phone

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Code Jockey posted:

I guess this counts too, due to the popularity of Pokemon, but I just can't really get into it. I played through the very first one, and it was fine, but I seem to have broken the game just power-leveling my bulbasaur and destroying everything in the game with it. Are later games better? One of my devs recommended I try one of the more recent DS games, which I might do. I guess I just don't see the appeal, but I think maybe I just haven't played the right game[s].

My favorite Pokemon game is still Heart Gold/Soul Silver, which I highly recommend if you can find it cheapish. It's decently challenging, has different Pokemon depending upon the time of day, has the best Pokemon minigame (Voltorb Flip, which is kinda like Minesweeper), has the best Safari Zone (you can customize it!), and you can actually have your Pokemon follow you around!

I'd also recommend Black 2/White 2, as with this generation of Pokemon games they made TMs reusable, which is wonderful, and there are a lot more Pokemon available than in Black/White.

I wouldn't recommend Pokemon X/Y even though it makes minmaxing way easier and has other improvements, as there's almost no postgame content and absolutely no semblance of a challenge.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Let's see about some retro confessions:

I haven't plugged my NES in in over a year, and I think the only games I've legitimately beaten on it were SMB and Zelda, both with the help of guides. I beat Mega Man 2 on an emulator with save states, but can't get past Wily 1 on the console.

I've never been into fighting games at all.

I haven't owned a SNES since 2003 and only had two games for it then anyway. The only SNES game I've actually finished was Chrono Trigger, and that was the DS version.

I traded in a limited edition GBC to Gamestop to get an original GBA with the dim screen. Regretted that instantly.

I spent too much money on the Zelda Collectors disk two years ago and have yet to play Majora's Mask at all.

I have never even played a 3D console Final Fantasy.

None of my retro consoles are hooked up through anything better than composite video. I am looking for a small CRT with component in, but haven't found one yet. (Large Trinitrons are pretty common at estate sales around here but I have nowhere to put one.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Allen Wren posted:

Are you sure? There's not really walls to ride up in that, unless I missed out on some amazing poo poo by not getting to the later levels. Maybe they're thinking of that one that's the same kind of polygonal engine as Hard Drivin' but is housed in a sit-down console that is kinda like a motorcycle seat, but is more like a park bench for being square and unpadded? gently caress, what was that called.

I think you're thinking of S.T.U.N. Runner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgpj6fZQ4U

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Grapeshot posted:

I am looking for a small CRT with component in, but haven't found one yet.

On this subject, does anybody have recommendations for a good one of these?

My girlfriend will almost certainly murder me if I bring any remotely large CRT into the apartment, and would probably do the same if I shelled out for RGB everything and a PVM.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you have a major public university around you, they probably have a surplus items store or surplus items auctions or both. And these days they have plenty of CRTs of all sizes and types from normal TVs in break rooms to formerly high end CRT monitors from media classrooms they're out to get rid of with noone else really wanting to buy them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are plenty of classic verts that aren't bullet hell or even proto-bullet hell

I realize that, which is why I said "and". Star Soldier and Tyrian are kinda okay, I guess, but Vert shooters are just.. bleeeeeeh.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I realize that, which is why I said "and". Star Soldier and Tyrian are kinda okay, I guess, but Vert shooters are just.. bleeeeeeh.

What about horizontal shooters? There's some decent ones out there, like the R-Type series.

E: Fantasy Zone also comes to mind.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, trust me, I like Horizontal shooters:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh that reminds me, vertical shoot 'em ups and bullet-hell games are utter butt to me. R-Type, Thunderforce, Darius, Gradius.. that's where it's at.

Fantasy Zone is another great example.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Install Windows posted:

If you have a major public university around you, they probably have a surplus items store or surplus items auctions or both. And these days they have plenty of CRTs of all sizes and types from normal TVs in break rooms to formerly high end CRT monitors from media classrooms they're out to get rid of with noone else really wanting to buy them.

Oh man. I never even thought to check there. Thanks!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Started playing the english translated version of Policenauts. I am absolutely in love with game. Also love that Kojima reused Meryl for Metal Gear Solid from this game.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Perhaps Monty Python wasn't the best use of making light of my dislike of using Medieval Europe tropes as a setting for games (As I said, I make bad posts). Knights and Princesses and Swords just seem to me as people pining for the distant past when there's a present just as if not more interesting than what happened a millennium ago. It's why I never got into Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior or RPGs as a kid.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

bpc908 posted:

Started playing the english translated version of Policenauts. I am absolutely in love with game. Also love that Kojima reused Meryl for Metal Gear Solid from this game.

Wait until you get to the bomb defusal scene. Can't wait for the Saturn version to be done.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
My secret Santa package came in while I was out of town. Unfortunately, this weekend's pretty busy for me so I'll have to post more later, but my Santa cheated a bit and sent me two cheap games. One good one and one bad one.

Pretty sure I know which is the good one there. I'll be trying them out later this week.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RadicalR posted:

Wait until you get to the bomb defusal scene. Can't wait for the Saturn version to be done.

Unfortunately the translator had to stop as he's working at Konami so the project's at a standstill. Guy worked on the Ground Zeroes translation :allears:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

flyboi posted:

Unfortunately the translator had to stop as he's working at Konami so the project's at a standstill. Guy worked on the Ground Zeroes translation :allears:

They found another translator. So it shouldn't be too much longer. Probably another 6 months.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm seeing an awful lot of AGS-101 GBA SPs in perfect, like-new condition on eBay and it's making me suspicious. Should I be worried about the authenticity of these things?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Grapeshot posted:

None of my retro consoles are hooked up through anything better than composite video. I am looking for a small CRT with component in, but haven't found one yet. (Large Trinitrons are pretty common at estate sales around here but I have nowhere to put one.)

I'm guilty of this as well. All my retro consoles are hooked up via component to a 52" plasma TV. I have no intentions of buying a CRT. I also play In 16:9 stretched mode. Watching live action video stretched abdicates me, but for whatever reason it doesn't bother me one bit for 8/16 bit sprites.

In the category of "never played until", until this calendar year I had never played Metroid or Super Metroid. Although when I finally got around to playing them I did beat both.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fleedar posted:

I'm seeing an awful lot of AGS-101 GBA SPs in perfect, like-new condition on eBay and it's making me suspicious. Should I be worried about the authenticity of these things?

Give us a few links as examples so we can tell ya.

Retro shames:

I think Super Mario Bros. 2 is more fun to play than Super Mario Bros. 3.

I think Killer Instinct 1 is a very good game.

I can't stand 3-d Zelda games (and not for nerdy "retro" reasons). Zelda games translate like piss into 3-d. They are almost completely unplayable when not in the "top down" format.

I never had a Genesis until this thread.

I could not beat Wonder Boy in Monster Land for the Sega Master System even though I used save states. Let that sink in for a minute.

I sold and re-bought Illusion of Gaia from Funcoland about 6 times when I was a kid.

I didn't know Duck Tales 1 and 2 had Game Boy ports until yesterday.

:negative:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

My secret Santa package came in while I was out of town. Unfortunately, this weekend's pretty busy for me so I'll have to post more later, but my Santa cheated a bit and sent me two cheap games. One good one and one bad one.

Pretty sure I know which is the good one there. I'll be trying them out later this week.

I'm not sure what the SNES game is, but Glover is dope.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm not sure what the SNES game is, but Glover is dope.

Looks like it's Actraiser.

Edit for more content: Tracked down a Dreamcast finally. I've wanted one of these things for years. Finally starting to have a half-decent stable of retro hardware around the house.

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Dreamcast
PS2

Can't seem to find my non-TMSS Genesis anywhere, lost my SMS in a fire. Makes me feel good, though to have what I've got now.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 5, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's Actraiser which is a fantastic game.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Fleedar posted:

They're probably taking beat up GBAs and sticking them in new cases and selling them.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I love Secret of Evermore a lot more than Secret of Mana.

If this is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Allen Wren posted:

CONFESSIONS OF A TERRIBLE RETRO GAME PLAYER:

Games where getting to stage two is hard enough, but getting past stage two is impossible and the concept that there might be a third stage is considered little more than a fever dream:
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Battletoads

Conquest of the Crystal Palace shares something in common with Battletoads in that it's primarily about memorizing where all of the bullshit is. If you think that stage two of CoCP is hard, hoo boy, you need to see the last level. Imagine a bullshit-hard stage with a branched path that takes you back to the beginning if you pick the wrong door.

And gently caress Battletoads forever. I can do the turbo tunnel in my sleep at this point, but I'm so sick of playing through the first three levels that I know I'll never see the ending.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Code Jockey posted:

I hear people do that up here [the northwest] a lot. Sness and Ness. :argh:
Gaming confession: I use "Ness" and "Sness" to refer to the NES and SNES interchangeably with spelling the initials out, and have no intention of stopping. :colbert:

Kreeblah posted:

I think it's more one awesome game and one kinda-mediocre game.

Glover is not a good game, but hell, it's a guilty pleasure.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Kreeblah posted:

Woo, I'm glad they arrived! Both of them were fifty cents on eBay, so it still counts as under a dollar. :)

(I had been holding out hoping to find a copy of Ys 3, given your taste in games, but I couldn't find an English version for sub-$1. Tons of copies of the SFC release are out there for cheap, but it's pretty much solid walls of moonrunes.)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

My retroshame is that I used to love to collect and play console games about 10 years ago, but it's all gone now. The silliest thing was probably the RGB monitors; I had two. One was normal, the other was left on its side for vertical shmup ports (mostly Saturn, some Dreamcast). They were small thingies - the ones that people hooked Amigas up to. These days, I doubt there are many working units left in the wild.

Anyway, I had an impressive collection of games for lots of consoles (including a bought-new-in-2002 Turbo Duo, I loved that drat thing) that I've since sacrificed to the eBay gods. Poor life choices made me need the money. :smith:

At least I can live vicariously through this thread. Keep on :retrogames: for my sake.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey ACID/Bing The Noize, have you checked your PMs lately?

Shadow Hog posted:

Gaming confession: I use "Ness" and "Sness" to refer to the NES and SNES interchangeably with spelling the initials out, and have no intention of stopping. :colbert:
I think it's more one awesome game and one kinda-mediocre game.

I usually use "Nezz" and "Ess Nezz" for the NES and SNES if I suspect the listener is familiar with retrogames. Otherwise, I usually call 'em (shame) the "Nintendo N-E-S", "Super Nintendo", and "Super N-E-S". But more for familiarity's sake on the part of the listener than out of some ingrained habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just call them the NES and Super Nintendo. And I don't say "Ness" because it sounds forced and retarded, like someone who makes up their own slang words that nobody else uses or gives themselves a nickname. If I have to clarify to somebody what an NES is I just say "the old Nintendo".

• Locked thread