Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The odds are I'm going to have a PC in some form for the rest of my life, while they won't make 360s forever. The price this weekend clinches it.

All DLC for the second game is just multiplayer skins, not really important unless you 1) care about multiplayer and 2) you want to be a Dinobot or Insecticon. The multiplayer models are modular so you can create your own from parts from any character in a given class. Chest piece dictates transformation, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

You Am I posted:

How can you hate on the Generations line?

I don't hate it, I just have mostly stuck to the MP line and stuff in that scale. I find if I start branching out I pick up far too much stuff and eventually have to trim down the collection.

That said I've picked up the Beast Wars generations stuff because they are really good.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Who has info that the Skids/Waspinator wave is being re-issued from a couple of pages back?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Goldskull posted:

Who has info that the Skids/Waspinator wave is being re-issued from a couple of pages back?
Front page of TFW2005 has an article about it, if that helps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Goldskull posted:

BigBadToyStore said so. I'm also pretty sure Hasbro themselves said so back at the NY Toy Fair.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

BigBadToyStore said so. I'm also pretty sure Hasbro themselves said so back at the NY Toy Fair.

So wait, it's not just BBTS getting them back in stock?

That's great news. I never once saw that entire wave in a single store near me.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Excellent, I want me some Skids. I'm still waiting on kapow getting back to me about stocking Sencho Barbossa too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I found a toy store that had the first wave of Prime toys the other day and got myself a pretty sweet Starscream.

No sign of Skids, Swerve, or Cosmos though.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I just picked up Tailgate at a specialty store here in Tokyo. It was $25 and the vehicle mode is wildly inappropriate, but I don't care, because Tailgate.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
This was posted on my FB wall:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/03/man-spends-42-hours-making-solo-record-breaking-balloon-sculpture-of-optimus-prime-4717312/?ITO=facebook

It seems pretty underwhelming to me? Someone tell me I'm just being curmudgeonly (but seriously, that colour scheme, yukk).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OptInNameOnly Prime

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RaspberryCommie posted:

Up until I remembered this, I always assumed that Rung's glasses were because of his age. Remember Kup's spotlight? If a bot doesn't keep up with upgrades, then eventually new ones become completely incompatible with their body. They had to use modified Pretender tech to save Kup's life because he had never upgraded his components.

I figured that Rung just never upgraded his optics, and since he's the oldest person on the lost light by a large margin (except maybe Cyclonus and Tailgate), maybe his head just isn't compatible with modern optic upgrades.

Of course then his head was rebuilt from scratch, so there goes that theory.

Doesn't change the theory at all, he needed glasses and has wore them for a very, very, very long time, his head gets rebuilt and he doesn't need them anymore, but he's just got a new head and had a traumatic experience so he goes for something for comfort and puts on his old friend. Or maybe he just thinks they make him look more intelligent, who knows.

That Jetfire is rad.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

EthanSteele posted:

That Jetfire is rad.

If he has a second face to replace the... face... ugh, then it'd be perfect.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Anora posted:

Not sure what you're taking issue with, but he comes with the helmet to make him look like a valkyrie.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Squalitude posted:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/03/man-spends-42-hours-making-solo-record-breaking-balloon-sculpture-of-optimus-prime-4717312/?ITO=facebook

It seems pretty underwhelming to me? Someone tell me I'm just being curmudgeonly (but seriously, that colour scheme, yukk).
That's an astonishing amount of work to get something so fundamentally wrong.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
He could be raising awareness for color blindness.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Anora posted:

That face is pretty drat good, as opposed to all the terrible attempts 3P companies have made at doing Jetfire's face.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Squalitude posted:

That's an okay Cybertron Dirt Boss?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Squalitude posted:

Evangelion Unit 01 x Optimus Prime confirmed

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Squalitude posted:

Apparently making Optimus Prime out of balloons is a thing?

This one is waaay better.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Ghost Hat posted:

Apparently making Optimus Prime out of balloons is a thing?

This one is waaay better.

Better in large part because it was made by someone who has actually seen Optimus Prime at least once in his life.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Optimus Prime is probably the only giant robot he's ever heard of, so he made a big balloon robot and was like "yeah it's Optimus Prime!"

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Gammatron 64 posted:

Optimus Prime is probably the only giant robot he's ever heard of, so he made a big balloon robot and was like "yeah it's Optimus Prime!"

or he's just looking for hits. That's the only reason anyone on this site is looking at it.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Whirl is fantastic. I am so beyond pumped for Roadbuster.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm iffy on Roadbuster but I'm really hoping Windblade turns out well. The first comic turned me around on her. (I can't believe I'm back at the stage where I'm buying toys of characters I like, rather than solely because the toy looks good; and it's all thanks to the comics.) Whirl went up in my estimation a lot when I found out you could telescope his shoulder struts into his chest.

I'm actually a bit hesitant about Leader Jetfire. I adored the original Classics version, but this new one, I do not love the hollow thighs or the chromed guns.

Picked up Swerve and Cosmos yesterday afternoon; the Microtargetmasters are iffy (if nicely painted) but the main bots are fantastic. Swerve is perfectly Swervy and I love Cosmos's hulk hands and his altmode. One of his elbows was slightly mispinned but this wave is so sparse I'd feel like a dink returning him, especially since he still transforms ok. I had him sitting down on the edge of the table last night for late night TV. Cosmos Watching Cosmos.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Has Hasbro said anything concerning supply issues of the Legends figures?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They said that they were aware of it and that they'd put more Cosmoses and Swerves on later waves.

Hmm, sometimes I have to go and pick up some of my Transmetals, classics and older figures just to confirm that I'm not going crazy and that certainly, Transformers have always had hollow parts to save plastic.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

ForeverSmug posted:

"The plan is working perfectly! PERFECTLY!!!!"

Then they tossed a truckload of Cosmoses into a volcano and ate a baby.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Hmm, sometimes I have to go and pick up some of my Transmetals, classics and older figures just to confirm that I'm not going crazy and that certainly, Transformers have always had hollow parts to save plastic.

Of course they have, I remember more than a few G1 guns being molded on one side and hollow on the other. (Cybertron Defence Scattorshot's big blue rifle is a good latter-day example, although poo poo that's almost ten years old now.)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, I think the issue is more that:

A. They've stopped consistently using panels to cover hollow areas, so they are now visible.

B. They are using lighter plastic, adding to the "hollow" feel.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Totally agree on point B, and there's also the undeniable shrinkage, those things are valid complaints.

But I was taking for example, the typical classics seeker mold and its thighs and forearms are hollow too (to accomodate the fists in the forearms' case, but ya get the the idea). Trailbreaker and Hoist have hollow legs, but a panel closes to hide the hollow forearms. Lots of older transformers have random hollow parts, and they don't always have panels to cover them, yet people bring them up now as if it's this new, terrible thing.

I mean there's so much else you can validly whine about!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

They're both still available for pre-order on BBTS, $21.99 for the pair.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Honestly if people didn't complain about the "hollow thighs" thing online, I would never, ever have noticed it. Or at least certainly never have noticed it as a flaw that should prevent one from purchasing a figure they're otherwise interested in. Such a weird thing, given that it goes back to the beginning of the brand.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

Honestly if people didn't complain about the "hollow thighs" thing online, I would never, ever have noticed it. Or at least certainly never have noticed it as a flaw that should prevent one from purchasing a figure they're otherwise interested in. Such a weird thing, given that it goes back to the beginning of the brand.

It's definitely subjective, and pretty far down my list of complaints. I didn't notice it on Jetfire until it was pointed out. The only time it grates on me is when there really is nothing left in a finished limb but a giant hole, like Scoop's forearms/calves. With the forearms they should have a little panel that folds out on the same hinge as the hand to close that gap. With the calves, the wheels should fold in there. But hey, Scoop comes with a couple dudes, and we can't have everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For me, the hollow limbs thing would never be the sole reason I'd pass on a transformer; I just think it looks kinda bad on Jetfire particularly. I feel like a leader-class toy should be a little more closed-up than a deluxe, but I don't work for Hasbro, I don't have access to their budget per figure, maybe they needed to knock out that material to get all of the FAST packs in. His plane mode looks stunning, and I hope the transformation is more involved than (say) Generations Silverbolt.

I wonder if Takara will go against type and have less vac-metal on their version.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The G2 MP Sideswipe I ordered from some dude in Japan back in February showed up today. I was pretty happy about it obviously, but coolest thing is that it came with a wicked cool animated Prowl thingamabob for cellphones.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Awww, see? The guy did care after all.

The chromeguns on Leader jetfire reminded me about another common complaint: chrome chipping off. Even though I don't really like chrome, my chromed figures never seem to chip off, even the older ones. I wonder if it's some kind of regional weather conditions or something?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Awww, see? The guy did care after all.

The chromeguns on Leader jetfire reminded me about another common complaint: chrome chipping off. Even though I don't really like chrome, my chromed figures never seem to chip off, even the older ones. I wonder if it's some kind of regional weather conditions or something?

Of all the vac-metal figures I own, the only one that has flaked is Transmetal Rattrap. A few years ago I picked him up out of a box he was stored in and all the red metal just flaked off almost in one brush. All the other Transmetals and Transmetal 2s are fine, it's just that one figure. I have no idea what would cause one to flake and none of the others to flake. I thought it was maybe the color, but another red Transmetal figure (Ramulus, I think?) is fine. Luck of the draw, mix of the batch, maybe.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Transmetal Rammulus and Scourge are the only 2 BW figures that I've had chrome chip off. I coated Scourge in glossy enamel to stop it and it looks really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
IIRC, humidity makes a big difference. Houston, for example, is humid as can be and even CD-Rs would have an abnormally short life there.