Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a bit of a goofy ending. After the oppressive last couple episodes, this rather lighthearted episode was a welcome respite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think this may be the first time I've seen a doppelganger story be about overcoming depression.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Oh Ginko, that was the perfect :| face.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Traveller posted:

Oh Ginko, that was the perfect :| face.

Haha, yeah. Those poor parents.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ginko knows when it's time to GTFO.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The world of Mushishi is such a deathtrap. Look at your reflection in the wrong lake? SOUL STOLEN.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sindai posted:

The world of Mushishi is such a deathtrap. Look at your reflection in the wrong lake? SOUL STOLEN.

You're not wrong stared into the shadow on the wrong lake? Your eye falls out, your hair changes colour, and you lose all your memory. And that's if you're lucky.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're not wrong stared into the shadow on the wrong lake? Your eye falls out, your hair changes colour, and you lose all your memory. And that's if you're lucky.

I guess we can imagine that these are all rare, isolated incidents. Who knows, it's probably been decades since Ginko's first started out but we wouldn't know because he never seems to look any older or younger, except for the childhood flashback episodes.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
For all of the danger involved, there's something reassuring and relaxing about most episodes. It's like "Oh, you're going to be devoured whole by an otherworldly spirit? Just drink some pure from a spring" or "Hey, your stomach is now a pit full of shadow demons and you're eternally hungry? No worries, just go lay out in the sun naked for an hour."

It's the casual approach towards what would otherwise be horrifying or inconceivable that makes Mushi-shi amazing to me.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And the fact that each episode has a symbolic message to it that's well crafted and not in your face

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There isn't a cure for all Mushi though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

What amazes me is how much Ginko knows about so many Mushi and the cures. Ew...that smell? Yeah, that's the Mushi-of-Infectious-Death. All you have to do is drink this golden sake and it'll take care of it. I didn't even have to look it up in my book. Oh, that snowfall near the person? That's the Ice-Mushi-of-Death. All you have to do is this and that and you'll be cured. Here, take this medicine I folded into a paper-football. I just happen to have all my medicines for all the Mushi in this rectangular box I take everywhere with me. (Yes, he did have to go get some of the golden sake, but that's a rare event)

I would like to see him consult a scroll or book or get his Samsung Note II out and Google it or something, sometime. Yes, Ginko's been doing this a long time, and he's an expert. However, there seems to be hundreds of different types of Mushi. You'd think he'd have to consult a reference material sometime.

I do agree that it's nice there is a cure for just about all Mushi-caused illnesses. Since we see mostly Ginko, alone, we don't really get to see that there seems to be a fairly large and active community of Mushi-Shi running around the countryside curing Mushi-caused illnesses. We saw some of that in this season's first episode, but I'd like to see more of that.

I also enjoyed seeing an episode that didn't end with the loss of a body part this time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

He regularly goes to study in that big mushishi archive. And mushishi regularly meet each other and talk about their cases. They also can send fancy letters to each other to ask for help or advice.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
You also have to realize that Ginko is a little bit different from most other Mushishi -- His whole life... well, what he remembers of it, has been entirely Mushi. Even before that, with his time with Nui, he was learning about them. He has a much different level than even the Archivist or other Mushishi, simply because his entire existence has been being a Mushishi, dealing with Mushi in the field.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The fact that he's such a Mushi magnet that he basically causes devastation if he dwells in a location way too long sort of reinforces just how much Mushi and him are interconnected.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

The fact that he's such a Mushi magnet that he basically causes devastation if he dwells in a location way too long sort of reinforces just how much Mushi and him are interconnected.

I thought that was something that happened with all Mushi-shi, hence why they're all nomadic?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought that was something that happened with all Mushi-shi, hence why they're all nomadic?

Not really; we saw that blind girl's Mushi-shi father who only traveled because he was looking for cases but ostensibly had a home, and there was that village Mushi-shi who got a gullet full of cold fire who never left her village. If someone is a Mushi magnet, their wandering lifestyle + ability to interact with the Mushi just makes for a good Mushi-shi. Hence why Ginko was taken in by one after joining that one band for awhile. I mean, technically anyone who works on Mushi-related anythings could probably count as a Mushi-shi even, and we saw a lot of those who never left their village ever.

The only one who was a Mushi magnet like Ginko that we saw was the one who became the Mountain Guardian in order to set down roots.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dan7el posted:

I would like to see him consult a scroll or book or get his Samsung Note II out and Google it or something, sometime.

We do see him pull out scrolls and consult them fairly regularly, though, and it's not like we never see Ginko run into something that he doesn't recognize or know how to deal with.

Plus, a lot of Mushi have pretty distinctive effects. There's only so many things that can cause lack of reflection, and there don't seem to be very many vampires wandering around ancient Japan. You'd expect any reasonably experienced mushi-shi to be able to look at a handful of symptoms and have a pretty good idea what might be causing them more often than not, just like how you'd expect an experienced doctor to recognize a wide range of diseases.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 3, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
He also learned something new about that mushi at the end and was pretty excited about it :3: He's got something new to tell the archive lady.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some of the background shots in this one were positively breathtaking.

Anyway, Ginko does seem to be a bit more well, ahem, traveled than other mushishi. It's probably just a combination of him being involved with them for so long and his inherit main characterness.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Some of the background shots in this one were positively breathtaking.
Seriously. That first shot with the lake I had to pause to take it all in.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Fantastic looking episode as always, though it's accomplished in part because they're very good at using interesting still shots before the threshold of where you notice it. The show is pretty drat static, just not noticeably so. The shots are always paced very well.

I dunno if you can really call this week's episode not a "downer", even if the ending wasn't bad. Yeah it was about overcoming depression, but that thing that made her depressed in the first place was fairly :smith: "Oh, I wouldn't want to marry a girl like you. Haha maybe I'll be around again sometime." Dude wasn't exploitative or anything, just a jerk.

Meanwhile, it's sort of interesting how Ginko responded to her despair. Ginko reflects that it is indeed sad to have no ability or will to impact the world, and that the world of the Mushi sort of embodies that. And that essentially is his world. He is a wanderer without a home, a past, and really any value in other people's lives. He wanders into people's lives occasionally and saves the day, but does he really have a life himself? The show is ultimately not about him or anything he desires or wants or feels. Beyond the first episode of the first season, we very seldom see him do something purely out of self-interest, and even then it is an extension of the craft he participates in. He's an ephemeral member of the mundane world and mundane people's lives. Just like the Mushi.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
New episode up. Pretty dark. :stare:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think it's been a while since we saw a legitimately bad actor (in the sense of doing wrong, not skill) in the series. The conflict is usually much more man vs. nature/himself than man vs. man. Even with the king of the mountain two episodes ago the main issue overcoming himself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

New episode up. Pretty dark. :stare:

Dark, but wonderfully beautiful. One of the more gorgeous episodes of Mushi-shi.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So :stare: that was an episode. Any idea what the theme was? Something about not letting a natural cycle take place being destructive or something? Idk.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

paragon1 posted:

So :stare: that was an episode. Any idea what the theme was? Something about not letting a natural cycle take place being destructive or something? Idk.

Something like that. I think it was more about prolonging the inevitable, especially since it was apparently going on for centuries.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

paragon1 posted:

So :stare: that was an episode. Any idea what the theme was?

I think the theme was don't mess with Ginko or he'll burn your house down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

paragon1 posted:

So :stare: that was an episode. Any idea what the theme was?
The End! No moral.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ToiletDuckie posted:

I think the theme was don't mess with Ginko or he'll burn your house down.

That was certainly what I took from it. :stare:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Welcome to Mushishi hosted by Junji Itou.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

Welcome to Mushishi hosted by Junji Itou.

He must have lost his touch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Suddenly, a slasher film breaks out.

Special episode next time? Wonder what that could mean.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Now we know how Chiaka was made. If the gardener puts the head of a girl on the body of a boy (that kid was a boy, right?), doesn't he end up with a boy? I knew something was fishy when he asked him if he was in good health and then invited him to spend the night.

Ginko did what he had to do. My worry was the lost knowledge. There had to be some really good research that was lost.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Now we know how Chaika was made. If the gardener puts the head of a girl on the body of a boy (that kid was a boy, right?), doesn't he end up with a boy? I knew something was fishy when he asked him if he was in good health and then invited him to spend the night.

Ginko did what he had to do. My worry was the lost knowledge. There had to be some really good research that was lost.

It was a girl. Just because she has short hair doesn't mean it's a boy. Mushishi doesn't have any effeminate bishounen.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

My favourite so far is the ep with the hunter, not so much because of the ep as a whole, but because of that head pat scene and how brilliantly it managed to convey so much. I don't know if I've ever seen any animated series manage to convey information so well as in that one scene. But so many of the episodes are beautiful. All of them seem to have at least one moment that's completely stunning. The snow, the lakes, and in episode 6 the cherry blossom tree.

At the end of the episode, I was half expecting for those men to find a new baby in the tree.

It was always beautiful and streets ahead of the quality in most series, but I don't recall the first series of Mushishi being quite so visually impressive as the new one. Maybe it's a budget issue, or maybe techniques have moved on somehow?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Van Dine posted:

At the end of the episode, I was half expecting for those men to find a new baby in the tree.
I expected the same exact thing, Van Dine. I expected they'd find a baby and decide to build a house at that spot to properly rear the child. Also, maybe start a business as gardeners....

Yep. The short hair got me. I knew the VA was a girl, but that doesn't mean anything if it's a young boy.

Not only are the visuals great, but I'm really enjoying the music.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I was thinking exactly that when I saw the house go up in flames. That's hundreds of years of important medical and botanical research gone poof.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't think that research was that valuable, it's probably something like, "this is how you can cut someone's head off and the body alive long enough to graft a new head." Not something you want to get out in public.

Next up, Special episode, "Tales of the Mushi". It's Tanyu time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lurking Haro posted:

It was a girl. Just because she has short hair doesn't mean it's a boy. Mushishi doesn't have any effeminate bishounen.

Other than Ginko :swoon:

• Locked thread