Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The worst part of Lucatiel is that we can't get her magnificent hat without the stupid mask attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tallgeese posted:

The worst part of Lucatiel is that we can't get her magnificent hat without the stupid mask attached.

Or have spreading hollowness and instead instantly turn into green trolls when we die.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

They messed up the Snickering Top Hat in DaS like this too. Let me have my beautiful hat for my pretty princess, From! :argh:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I just went into someone's halls of pharos or whoever and marveled at all the traps going off everywhere. I didn't actually bother with any of the monsters at all, I just walked around them (sometimes precariously) and cruised across the area, got hit by a bolt once but just kept on going and eventually made it to the fog door, when the ratbro decided hey wait where are you going and went to slash at me. I stopped and had a bit of fun trying to shove him off before I fell off myself and died. Neat place, it's just sad that a few players just seem content to just spam poo poo like magic from high above where they're all nice and safe from everyone who doesn't rock two Avelyns. Boring.

vvv: Sun Sword seems really good, I like its moveset and stat bonuses and am playing around with it alongside my usual set of clubs, but the Red Rust Sword really surprised me. It's like a Club that's a sword, just too bad it's heavy and requires Twinkling.

Also yeah, my Poison Arrows get some real milage after a certain point in the game. Though I bought way too many consumables and probably have several thousand souls burnt on bombs that while useful early on, I don't really use that often now*.

*I did use a few Urns on that damned Dragonrider Duo though.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 5, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

bewilderment posted:

Alright smart people, tell me what the hell I should be doing with my character.

I feel like I have no idea what I'm levelling up right now, since currently I have everything I want. Do I need more HP? More endurance? Should I give magic a shot? The only reason I have both 8 FTH and INT was to talk to the Hexer dude, which is pointless in retrospect since I don't really feel like being a Hexer on this playthrough. I'm currently up to Earthen Peak, and I've just been using the Mace or Falchion as my main weapons. My main ranged option so far has just been throwing knives, with very very rarely the bow, and sometimes a bit of Fireball or Lingering Flame (which for some reason I bought two of).
I was thinking of sunbroing until I got the Sun Sword and then using that. I picked the Falchion for its bleediness, but I haven't really noticed it. I was considering using the Dragonrider Twinblade, but since I don't have access to Poison infusing yet the cool looks of it don't outweigh the costs of not having a shield at the ready.

The most important thing when deciding where to go with a character is to decide what kind of dude you want to play. That sounds silly and obvious, but that's really it. Despite a lot of protestations to the contrary, there's basically no awful unplayable weapon types or builds in DS2, only varying levels of difficulty. If you're content with your current weapon and offensive options, focus on leveling your endurance to 20(softcap for stamina gain) and then pad out vigor and vitality to improve your durability.

To address your specific concerns:
  • Sun Sword is a really solid weapon, but only if you intend to go to 40 str/40 dex to make the most of its superior scaling. It's no better than a normal longsword otherwise.
  • Bleed is largely crap in general and you can ignore it for the most part. The Falchion is a nice weapon for its animation set, especially when powerstanced, but the bleed won't do much of anything.
  • For general use I'd recommend staying away from twinblade weapons. Upgraded properly they can do insane levels of damage very quickly, but they have horrendous durability problems due to their tendency to swing a billion trillion times in quick succession and scrape the gently caress out of floors and walls. This means that trying to use them for normal area clears requires backup weapons or multiple repair powders. They can be super bitchin' when used for short encounters where durability isn't a concern like boss fights and PvP, though.
  • Throwing knives and a decent bow have a good place in any build, even a magic one. Poison Arrows are one of the best problem-solving items in the game and throwing knives are both quick to come out to finish stuff on the verge of death and can also be used to break stuff like poison jars and curse pots safely from a distance.
  • Don't be afraid to go without a shield. It can be really scary at first until you get used to it, but taking advantage of two handing/power stance drastically ups your damage output both directly(doing more damage per swing) and indirectly(it costs a fuckload less stamina to dodge around an enemy's combo than it does to take it on your shield, which means you have more stamina/time to stab them in the face).

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Oh wow the Rebel Shield in PvP is the best thing ever.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Heliosicle posted:

Oh wow the Rebel Shield in PvP is the best thing ever.

I think I remember reading somewhere that a Dark infused Rebel Shield was someone's favorite thing ever because "gently caress magic" and looking at those stats, well. I believe it. :stare:

vvv: Dark Souls Hangman.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 5, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Or have spreading hollowness and instead instantly turn into green trolls when we die.

Funny you say that; they actually have that programmed in, but didn't do anything with it. Your body parts can be hollowed separately.

So, first death could have seen your legs get a bit hollow, then your arms while your legs get more hollowed, and finally your chest, then your face. And so on.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

nftyw posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that a Dark infused Rebel Shield was someone's favorite thing ever because "gently caress magic" and looking at those stats, well. I believe it. :stare:

vvv: Dark Souls Hangman.

Its funny, I'm actually happy when I see a sorcerer/cleric/hexer now.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I'm relatively new to Dark Souls (though I'm loving it so far!), I'm just curious if anyone has any advice as to what I ought to do, more or less starting to get into this game for realsies?

I'm running a STR/DEX character, mostly dex focused.

Any advice on poo poo I ought to be using or doing?

Here's my character so far, I've just hit the Harvest Fields of Poison and Bone poo poo.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Fun fact about science for you ladies and gentlemen. (The whip you get for killing the demon of song, use a bonfire ast. to get a second - Spotted whip)
If you have two of these weapons with +5's and poison infusions in power stance, parry button becomes an instant pvp poison on hit.
Eat your heart out gimmick builders.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was just about to make a post bitching about Shrine of Amana, but then I discovered that Havel's Greatshield, when infused with magic, has 100% magic block :getin:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Gorp posted:

Fun fact about science for you ladies and gentlemen. (The whip you get for killing the demon of song, use a bonfire ast. to get a second - Spotted whip)
If you have two of these weapons with +5's and poison infusions in power stance, parry button becomes an instant pvp poison on hit.
Eat your heart out gimmick builders.

Another similar and fun combination: power stanced dual poison channeler's trident's + stone ring. Instant poison on L2, instant poisebreak.

I like to call this the Toxic Seizure Sticks.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kaldaris posted:

I'm relatively new to Dark Souls (though I'm loving it so far!), I'm just curious if anyone has any advice as to what I ought to do, more or less starting to get into this game for realsies?

I'm running a STR/DEX character, mostly dex focused.

Any advice on poo poo I ought to be using or doing?

Here's my character so far, I've just hit the Harvest Fields of Poison and Bone poo poo.

try to hit the soft caps on some stats. endurance can go to 20 before you get diminishing returns on it. crank adaptability up til you have around 100 agility, usually up to around 20 points depending on whatever else you've put points into. strength and dex can go to 40. if you're struggling for things to put points into, can't go wrong with more health.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 5, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I was just about to make a post bitching about Shrine of Amana, but then I discovered that Havel's Greatshield, when infused with magic, has 100% magic block :getin:

Yeah Amana got pretty tiresome thanks to the need to lure out the aquatic frogmen who breathe water along with those old men with super maces that could run at 80 miles an hour through water, and having to snipe out those spellcasters, and having to keep a torch handy so you can map out the deep areas... and moving at slower than molasses speed while wading through the water too.

It was really nice having Felicia around to help out, though really nothing was quite as satisfying as smashing one archbishop into the stone with two-handed Greatclub R2, and the second swing killing him and smashing the second one into the floor as he runs up.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
so where can I grind decent souls now? Iron Keep, Dragon Shrine, Amana, Undead Crypt went through GENOCIDE. I haven't bought all the spells I want for NG+ yet.

Kinda funny how fast the game goes after you beat it a few times and know where to go. I did 5 characters on PS3, first one took me 70h to finish the game with, the first one on PC (overall 6th character) was 7h :v: Only 8 deaths too

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

You grind with white soapstones. Or by knocking an area's bonfire intensity up a notch, refreshing all the enemy spawns.

I got up to a couple million souls in NG just by shadeing bosses a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Skilleddk posted:

so where can I grind decent souls now? Iron Keep, Dragon Shrine, Amana, Undead Crypt went through GENOCIDE. I haven't bought all the spells I want for NG+ yet.

Kinda funny how fast the game goes after you beat it a few times and know where to go. I did 5 characters on PS3, first one took me 70h to finish the game with, the first one on PC (overall 6th character) was 7h :v: Only 8 deaths too

Phantom. You can get hits for the final boss up until like 3.5 million SM.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Run through all the memories and pick up all the soul items, kill the boss in the Memory of Jeigh, use an ascetic on the bonfire next to it, repeat. Just killing the boss alone gives like 300k+ souls once you're in NG+7, and he never really gets much harder since he still only has the big, slow horizontal attack, and the big, even slower vertical that are both easy to dodge. You can also eat his soul for another 50k souls, and the aforementioned soul items you pick up in the other memories quickly add up as well since they start turning into poo poo like Large Soul of a Brave Warrior, etc.

You also get a bunch of super useful items like smooth & silky stones, petrified somethings, bonfire ascetics, crimson waters(!), divine blessings(!!), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Once you get the loop down you can get enough souls to buy whatever the hell you want and level yourself up to SL200 while barely paying attention and watching something on a second monitor/TV.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I just got to Iron Keep as a sorceror. Should I go to Black Gulch instead now, to get flash sweat, or can I do this? I have the flame quartz ring +1 from the forest, so my fire defense is 123.

Jun 29, 2009
People who summon help then summon a red phantom are the worst. Only after watching my recording did I piece together the host summoned the red dude, I felt so bad, especially since I only had to club the guy twice with my anvil-on-a-stick.

Sorry Lywz :smith:

Said Anvil swinger:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Mariposa posted:

I just got to Iron Keep as a sorceror. Should I go to Black Gulch instead now, to get flash sweat, or can I do this? I have the flame quartz ring +1 from the forest, so my fire defense is 123.

You can just buy flash sweat from Rosabeth if you think you need it.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

You can just buy flash sweat from Rosabeth if you think you need it.

That's what I meant; I don't have her yet, she's after the Gulch, which I haven't completed.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Nah you just need a branch to get Rosabeth, she's stoned on the path to Shaded Woods.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
Funny how things change in NG+. I breezed past four bosses (including pursuer and sentinels) over the course of maybe an hour, only to hit my first roadblock: old dragonslayer. :downs:

On the bright side I did get the visible aurous chest armor from a red phantom in No-man's wharf, apparently that's rare or something? :v:

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Nah you just need a branch to get Rosabeth, she's stoned on the path to Shaded Woods.

Oh. Then I don't know where that path is. I have a branch; I was under the impression that the Shaded Woods somehow followed the Gulch. Where is it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 5, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Tensei posted:

Funny how things change in NG+. I breezed past four bosses (including pursuer and sentinels) over the course of maybe an hour, only to hit my first roadblock: old dragonslayer. :downs:

On the bright side I did get the visible aurous chest armor from a red phantom in No-man's wharf, apparently that's rare or something? :v:

The chest is incredible looking when you can actually see it, drat.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

VDay posted:

Run through all the memories and pick up all the soul items, kill the boss in the Memory of Jeigh, use an ascetic on the bonfire next to it, repeat. Just killing the boss alone gives like 300k+ souls once you're in NG+7, and he never really gets much harder since he still only has the big, slow horizontal attack, and the big, even slower vertical that are both easy to dodge. You can also eat his soul for another 50k souls, and the aforementioned soul items you pick up in the other memories quickly add up as well since they start turning into poo poo like Large Soul of a Brave Warrior, etc.

You also get a bunch of super useful items like smooth & silky stones, petrified somethings, bonfire ascetics, crimson waters(!), divine blessings(!!), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Once you get the loop down you can get enough souls to buy whatever the hell you want and level yourself up to SL200 while barely paying attention and watching something on a second monitor/TV.

That sounds pretty good. Jeigh is the memory behind the kings door in the forest castle? Will it respawn all 3 memories if I ascetic that bonfire?

Also how can you reliably get to the giant boss? He himself is not very hard but getting to him is annoying as hell as I have to chug potions like mad

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Checked the OP incase this is a FAQ and it isn't, so...

I'm getting "summoning cancelled unable to join multiplayer session" every time I put a white soapstone down. I've checked my internet connection, I have no background downloads going on, and I've quit and reloaded the game a couple of times, but I just can't seem to get summoned at all today. I can still see messages, bloodstains and other player ghosts though.

Anyone else had this? Googling it throws up a number of angry forum posts, and it doesn't seem to be a platform-specific thing, but no solutions except "quit and reload" which isn't working for me on this occasion.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Skilleddk posted:

That sounds pretty good. Jeigh is the memory behind the kings door in the forest castle? Will it respawn all 3 memories if I ascetic that bonfire?

Also how can you reliably get to the giant boss? He himself is not very hard but getting to him is annoying as hell as I have to chug potions like mad

Stay on the right, wait for the head to roll over, run to Giant Lord's area and you should be safe from firebombs.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Look, everyone, I successfully went through Shrine of Amana with my wizard without a bow or summon or the use of a torch (since it just lead to unbearable ganking).

Prepare an upgraded bow with specialty arrows beforehand (iron being the minimum). I did that with my knight in a previous playthrough which was boring, but manageable. The archery for this series just isn't satisfying for the most part. It's neat when in those encounters where you close enough to lock on and defend via dodging.

Anyway, bow. Shrine of Amana = bow.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Cactus posted:

Checked the OP incase this is a FAQ and it isn't, so...

I'm getting "summoning cancelled unable to join multiplayer session" every time I put a white soapstone down. I've checked my internet connection, I have no background downloads going on, and I've quit and reloaded the game a couple of times, but I just can't seem to get summoned at all today. I can still see messages, bloodstains and other player ghosts though.

Anyone else had this? Googling it throws up a number of angry forum posts, and it doesn't seem to be a platform-specific thing, but no solutions except "quit and reload" which isn't working for me on this occasion.

Ok, so quitting the game and then restarting Steam fixed it, unless of course it is coincidence. Hope this doesn't become a regular annoyance.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Cardboard Box posted:

try to hit the soft caps on some stats. endurance can go to 20 before you get diminishing returns on it. crank adaptability up til you have around 100 agility, usually up to around 20 points depending on whatever else you've put points into. strength and dex can go to 40. if you're struggling for things to put points into, can't go wrong with more health.
Is there any point in putting points in Adaptability if my Agility is already 100+ from all the points I put into Attunement?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Is there any point in putting points in Adaptability if my Agility is already 100+ from all the points I put into Attunement?

120 gives the most iframes but apparently not a whole lot more than 100.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
So when I saved Rosabeth, the only spare armor I had was a desert sorceress top that I found in Earthen Peak, and now she's dressed like this.

Edit: By the way, I found out that the Gulch is a lot less of a pain if you use emit force and just keep going back to the bonfire.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 5, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

Would it be possible to make the mask part of the hat texture transparent? Or does it work the same as Dark Souls 1 where making non-transparent textures transparent just turns them pitch black?

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

There is a mod for that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mariposa posted:

You don't need Flash Sweat to go through Iron Keep. You only need fire resistance to collect the chests on the laval, but you'll need more than Flame Quartz + Flash Sweat + water jars for that. Go through IK once, then come back to collect the stuff later (you can buy armour with high fire resistance from the Majula armour dude after beating the Smelter Demon, who is the IK miniboss).

Time_pants posted:

Nope! Unless you want to raise your resistances or something.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Is there seriously not a bonfire anywhere near Freja? :arghfist: (I know the two which are almost on top of each other)

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Metanaut posted:

Is there seriously not a bonfire anywhere near Freja? :arghfist: (I know the two which are almost on top of each other)

Nope. The lower cove / 3rd in that area is the closest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Metanaut posted:

You can run straight from the bonfire that's after the Prowling Magus without getting hit, and pretty fast, too, even though it looks like a trek.