Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

benito posted:

I was on the far back seat of a CRJ once and it was just the right combination of humidity and A/C problems so that water just started pouring out of my vent on takeoff--it was all rolling to the back of the plane. I got soaked and a flight attendant gave me an ice bucket, which had to be emptied twice before the flow stopped.

Yeah they, err, kinda do that. I remember they always had a bad condensation problem, and various engineering fixes were rolled out to alleviate it. Don't remember if they ever really sorted it out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There has to be way more to this. U-2s are based out at Beale they; must interact with LA center all the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think I saw a NASA ER-2 (U-2) doing a flight out of Palmdale on a flight tracking website a couple days ago, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Relevant to the U-2 story: Lockheed-Martin is the prime contractor for ERAM.

:v:

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Jealous Cow posted:

There are small bits of ice coming out of the cabin vents on the EMB145 I'm on. Hope that doesn't become a problem.

Every helicopter I have ever worked on has produced some combination of snow, ice, sleet, or rain with the A/C on. I think it's just a hallmark of aging hvac systems bolted onto the airframe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Davin Valkri posted:

That seems counterproductive. Doesn't military hardware usually have A/C for the sake of the computers onboard, with crew benefits being a handy but secondary concern?

In this case, the hardware has a dedicated forced cooling system. AC is to keep the crew alive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

In this case, the hardware has a dedicated forced cooling system. AC is to keep the crew alive.

I eventually printed out and kept handy the part of the tech manual that deadlines my equipment for lack of AC and explicitly says the AC is to prevent heat casualties from the crew.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
$550 and 30k miles for 15 hours in a lie-flat seat. Worth it.

Also, what the gently caress is up with this? Seen one pull up to United gates at both ATL and LAX.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

There has to be way more to this. U-2s are based out at Beale they; must interact with LA center all the time.

There is. It had to do with the way things were entered that messed up the system. At least that's what the briefing item told me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jealous Cow posted:

Also, what the gently caress is up with this? Seen one pull up to United gates at both ATL and LAX.

Looks like it's lettered for Delta. The ultimate follow-me car?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's nothing :tinfoil: about it. Just another ERAM bug with hilariously high profile consequences.

The phone calls between DC, OKC, and LockMart must be amusing.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

It looks like a couple airlines have programs where they shuttle people to their connecting flights in reserved luxury vehicles.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/07/united-adds-mercedes-benz-car-service-for-select-global-services-and-first-class-passengers/
http://www.ajc.com/news/business/more-delta-passengers-getting-porsche-lifts/nZzyF/

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Linedance posted:

Yeah they, err, kinda do that. I remember they always had a bad condensation problem, and various engineering fixes were rolled out to alleviate it. Don't remember if they ever really sorted it out...

probably not, it IS bombardier. they've been riding on the coat tails of Dehavilland for YEARS

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

There's nothing :tinfoil: about it. Just another ERAM bug with hilariously high profile consequences.

The phone calls between DC, OKC, and LockMart must be amusing.

All the media reports make it sound like the plane itself crashed the system, which isn't even remotely the case, but of course people are running with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

All the media reports make it sound like the plane itself crashed the system, which isn't even remotely the case, but of course people are running with it.

The majority of (who am I kidding, all of them,) news reports are almost completely free of accuracy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Want to be one of the last people to fly in a Lancaster - across the Atlantic? It'll cost you, reserve bid is 40 large: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/got-40k-you-could-cross-the-atlantic-in-a-lancaster-bomber-1.2630060

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jealous Cow posted:

:lol: we turned into the wrong side of terminal 2 at ORD and we're now doing a slow 360 to turn around. What the gently caress is going on with this flight.

This happens fairly often at ORD. If the crew is unfamiliar they'll get permission from the correct ramp controller to enter the alley but then enter the wrong alley. In terminal 2 and 3 the concourses are set up so that the even numbered gates of a certain letter are on one side, the odd ones on another. It makes it easy to find your way around the terminals when you're in them but from an operational standpoint parking at G5 and parking at G6 requires entering a different alley and even talking to a different ramp controller.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
:catstare: Why in the living gently caress. I mean, I get passenger comfort and all that, but should that really take precedence over airplane routing?

E: VVV And yet LaGuardia/ATL exist. Although I hadn't been to ATL in a long time and maybe it's nice now?

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 4, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
According to Wikipedia, in 2013 ORD got an average of 183,314 pax a days, and 2419 "aircraft operations", which I assume is either a take-off or landing. So you get roughly 1209 aircrafts visits a day.

Kind of makes sense when you think about it that way, especially when you consider that aircrafts are operated and marshalled by trained personnel, some or most of whom would be familiar with the airport. Passengers, meanwhile, can be assumed to have the intelligence of an eight year old who hasn't had his nap.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 4, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Naturally Selected posted:

:catstare: Why in the living gently caress. I mean, I get passenger comfort and all that, but should that really take precedence over airplane routing?

I don't travel much at all, but every airport I've ever been in has the gates numbered odd on one side and even on the other as you are walking down a given concourse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

According to Wikipedia, in 2013 ORD got an average of 183,314 pax a days, and 2419 "aircraft operations", which I assume is either a take-off or landing. So you get roughly 1209 aircrafts visits a day.

Kind of makes sense when you think about it that way, especially when you consider that aircrafts are operated and marshalled by trained personnel, some or most of whom would be familiar with the airport. Passengers, meanwhile, can be assumed to have the intelligence of an eight year old who hasn't had his nap.

You're giving them a lot of credit... If I saw them shuffling around, arms outstretched, requesting brains from passers by, I probably wouldn't blink an eye.
Someone should make a zombie movie set in a departure lounge, and the twist is... Nobody notices there's zombies in the airport.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
There's no particular reason that internal gates for passengers to go to and external stands for aircraft to park on have to have the same labels. That way it transfers any confusion to local airport workers only, who should already be familiar with the layout, and away from passengers and aircrews who are not so familiar with a given airport.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Linedance posted:

You're giving them a lot of credit... If I saw them shuffling around, arms outstretched, requesting brains from passers by, I probably wouldn't blink an eye.
Someone should make a zombie movie set in a departure lounge, and the twist is... Nobody notices there's zombies in the airport.

Wasn't that the last level of the first Left 4 Dead?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
More like the movie Idiocracy.

Here are a few examples of questions I've been asked in the airport:

"Is this gate G4?" (asked to me while I was standing in front of a desk with 2 foot tall letters saying G4)

"Is this flight going to leave on time?" (Asked 5 minutes after departure time)

"Can't you just change it quickly?" (Asked by a customer after I told them that I could not change their seat because I don't work for the airline they were flying on)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

More like the movie Idiocracy.

Here are a few examples of questions I've been asked in the airport:

"Is this gate G4?" (asked to me while I was standing in front of a desk with 2 foot tall letters saying G4)

"Is this flight going to leave on time?" (Asked 5 minutes after departure time)

"Can't you just change it quickly?" (Asked by a customer after I told them that I could not change their seat because I don't work for the airline they were flying on)

On the other hand, I got stuck explaining to not only a mindless clerk, but then later several corporate reps, that I shouldn't have to pay for being a no-show to a flight when I showed up but the flight was cancelled and not available for literally days after, which rendered the flight a completely loving moot point. I seriously had them asking repeatedly why I didn't take the flight. Then I'd say "I would have loved to, but you cancelled the flight" and then they'd counter with, "well, yes, but we offered to fly you out three days later?"

Then they'd transfer me to some other person who would once again be perplexed as to why I was refusing to get on the flight that did not exist. The thing that really confused them was that the first leg of the connection was not cancelled, so they were offering to fly me to Atlanta where I would wait three days for the next leg of the flight with zero hotel compensation. Nevermind that I would miss the event I was trying to fly to anyway.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Jealous Cow posted:

It's a Porsche Panamera, the worst Porsche... in the world.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I thought that title belonged to the Cayenne?

Is there a website that lets one search planes registered to a particular owner? I wanted to check out what a few corporations own as business jets, but it seemed like the FAA and other sites I came across don't let you search by owner, which I assume has to be actually visible somewhere.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
I thought that title belonged to the Cayenne?

Is there a website that lets one search planes registered to a particular owner? I wanted to check out what a few corporations own as business jets, but it seemed like the FAA and other sites I came across don't let you search by owner, which I assume has to be actually visible somewhere.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Name_Inquiry.aspx

Seems to work for google as an example, although it doesn't find their 757 or 767 (which are probably leased), only their cessna

e: their 767 (N2767) is registered to 'Blue City Holdings', and searching for that with the name search does indeed find it, their 757 (N1757) is a 'bank of utah trustee' registration, who seem to hold a lot (1193) of registrations for private owners

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 5, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Almost all private aircraft are likely to be owned by a holding corporation for liability and other legal reasons so that kind of search may not be useful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I did manage to find two of our helicopters, but no planes, which are probably registered through a holding company as you guys suggest. Thanks!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Brovine posted:

There's no particular reason that internal gates for passengers to go to and external stands for aircraft to park on have to have the same labels. That way it transfers any confusion to local airport workers only, who should already be familiar with the layout, and away from passengers and aircrews who are not so familiar with a given airport.

So instead of one unified system that works consistently if not perfectly for airport passengers and employees both in and outside the terminal, we should have two systems which are completely different so it doesn't work for any group? Pity any employee who works both in and outside the terminal on a regular basis and/or anyone who has to try and direct a passenger (or pilot :laugh: ) to a gate? I don't think so.

also, I flew through Baltimore (BWI) and Chicago Midway the other day. They're airports! BWI claims to have won awards for "best airport food" but I sure don't see it :colbert:

One thing I don't get, though - anyone know why Midway has this really weird spur off Terminal A? Gates A4A/A4B:

it just seems so awkward. You have to walk down a long as poo poo hallway to find two gates, one of which is crammed at the very far end of said long, narrow hallway, and the other isn't much better. (That graphic is somewhat misleading - both jetways are at the very tip of that spur, the planes stack up side by side)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Psion posted:

it just seems so awkward. You have to walk down a long as poo poo hallway to find two gates, one of which is crammed at the very far end of said long, narrow hallway, and the other isn't much better. (That graphic is somewhat misleading - both jetways are at the very tip of that spur, the planes stack up side by side)

I believe they used to be the international gates, with extra security in the 'long hallway'. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what I remember them being ~1996/7 (when I was there last), there were X-ray gates at each of the 3 spurs back then, but the A and B spurs were always turned off, whereas the A4 spur was manned.

I imagine these days you have to go thru TSA on any gate, so it doesn't matter which is which.

e: also doesn't look like anyone offers international destinations via midway anymore anyway. AirTran apparently fly to Cancun, so there's that. ATA used to fly to Mexico and The Bahamas, as did Midway Airlines before them.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 5, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gate A4A and A4B have their own pages on Foursquare, where people complain about it. This is kind of hilarious: A4A and A4B

quote:

I think this gate may actually be at Ohare ;-)

quote:

Should have called this BFE, as it is away from darn near everything.

quote:

All the Chicago kids going to Hogwarts use this gate

Also, this is an accurate description: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/1233759/

It looks like pre-09 they weren't connected to the rest of A Concourse, so your idea about international seems likely.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 5, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand, I got stuck explaining to not only a mindless clerk, but then later several corporate reps, that I shouldn't have to pay for being a no-show to a flight when I showed up but the flight was cancelled and not available for literally days after, which rendered the flight a completely loving moot point. I seriously had them asking repeatedly why I didn't take the flight. Then I'd say "I would have loved to, but you cancelled the flight" and then they'd counter with, "well, yes, but we offered to fly you out three days later?"

Then they'd transfer me to some other person who would once again be perplexed as to why I was refusing to get on the flight that did not exist. The thing that really confused them was that the first leg of the connection was not cancelled, so they were offering to fly me to Atlanta where I would wait three days for the next leg of the flight with zero hotel compensation. Nevermind that I would miss the event I was trying to fly to anyway.

Delta landed me in Greenville, SC as a divert from a storm and then refused to refund me the other two legs of my flight as I never checked in to them, therefore I was a no show. The check in point? ATLANTA.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

"Trip-in-vain" is usually the magic phrase when you get a competent agent. I've used it in similar situations with no problem, but I also had status at the time so while that didn't grant me any stated benefits in the situation maybe it made them more willing to work with me?

Also got my full EQM for the flight I didn't take which pushed me over the amount I needed and renewed my status for the next year.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Psion posted:

So instead of one unified system that works consistently if not perfectly for airport passengers and employees both in and outside the terminal, we should have two systems which are completely different so it doesn't work for any group? Pity any employee who works both in and outside the terminal on a regular basis and/or anyone who has to try and direct a passenger (or pilot :laugh: ) to a gate? I don't think so.

Can't speak for anywhere I haven't been, but at STN (London Stansted) it is exactly like this. I'm sure it has problems, but those problems are with local staff only - rather than planes taxiing the wrong way or passengers getting more lost than normal.

I think Heathrow is the same way. London City matches gates to stands, but then they're all in a straight line so it's a bit harder to mix them up. (Even then, stands 12/13/14 are all gate 2B - if I remember correctly - for buses.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Psion posted:

One thing I don't get, though - anyone know why Midway has this really weird spur off Terminal A? Gates A4A/A4B:

SybilVimes posted:

I believe they used to be the international gates, with extra security in the 'long hallway'.

Yeah, and it's not like MDW has any real estate to spare: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7857906,-87.743371,1383m/data=!3m1!1e3

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah it's like, spitting distance from the window of A4B to the security fence and/or the houses across the street. I wonder how effective the noise wall is (not very, I bet)

I saw two Blackhawks - I think MH-60s since they had that huge-rear end refueling probe out the front - fly over Seattle earlier today and that was cool, but when I was out for lunch a B-17 came in, presumably to Boeing Field. Pretty sure it was the Memphis Belle.

today's been a pretty good day for "seeing cool stuff out the window"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That schematic has North in the wrong direction, looks like :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Don't know if there's a training op or what but I saw a few MH-60s too on the way from Tacoma to Olympia. When I was still in my squad leaders twin brother was a crew chief with the 160th on base, and I got to do a ride along flying around south Puget sound. There's just something awesome about blackhawks that I love :v: