Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zorak posted:

Each half has its own color identity according to the rules when cast, and their fused form is a combination of their color identities.

This is what I wanted to know and didn't know exactly how to parse it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zorak posted:

You can cast Turn on Master of Waves, as Turn is blue. This would incidentally kill its tokens.

You can't cast Burn on Master of Waves, as Burn is red.

You can't cast Turn & Burn on Master of Waves, as Turn & Burn is blue and red.

Each half has its own color identity according to the rules when cast, and their fused form is a combination of their color identities.

I had this same issue come up at a big event. My opponent wanted to Turn//Burn my Fiendslayer Paladin, and he didn't believe me that this is not allowed, since you must target both halves at the same time. You don't get to resolve the first half THEN target it with the second half after it loses the relevant ability.

He was pretty pissed, it cost him the match, but that's what you get for not understanding your own cards. I'll never understand playing cards in your deck without researching these interactions thoroughly (it's not like this was a bizarre corner-case, I'm pretty sure protection and targeting were mentioned in the very first article discussing the Fuse mechanic), but then most of these people just netdeck a list that won the previous week's event and don't even practice with it beforehand, so :psyduck:.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A fun one is that Soldier of the Pantheon can be targeted by either half of Turn//Burn separately, but not if you fuse it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If you think of it as two spells on one card, both with the fuse ability you usually get the interaction right. For example, if I epic experiment (X=3) into catch//release which half/ves can I cast? Can I fuse it? Either,No

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Anyone got any ideas when they're going to go deep into spoilers on the next two big product releases? We're less than three weeks away from the modern pre-con, and all we know about it is that it might be BW Tokens, per the mockup, and we've got what, three? cards from Conspiracy. Are they going to do spoilers on both at the JOU Grand Prix next week, or will they spread it out a bit more?

Unless they do something ridiculously underpowered, I'm buying at least a box if not two, of conspiracy for fun drafting, especially since my local store has already said that they're going standard booster box price on it, unlike Modern Masters, where they doubled MSRP per pack, and went 250 per box.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Fun fact: you can actually kill Master of Waves with 2 copies of Turn/Burn in your hand!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

qbert posted:

Fun fact: you can actually kill Master of Waves with 2 copies of Turn/Burn in your hand!

Fun fact #2: just casting Turn will kill all the token dorks.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

kizudarake posted:

Anyone got any ideas when they're going to go deep into spoilers on the next two big product releases? We're less than three weeks away from the modern pre-con, and all we know about it is that it might be BW Tokens, per the mockup, and we've got what, three? cards from Conspiracy. Are they going to do spoilers on both at the JOU Grand Prix next week, or will they spread it out a bit more?

Unless they do something ridiculously underpowered, I'm buying at least a box if not two, of conspiracy for fun drafting, especially since my local store has already said that they're going standard booster box price on it, unlike Modern Masters, where they doubled MSRP per pack, and went 250 per box.

Well, MaRo said at the end of his article today, "Join me next week, when a third of what I say will be a lie." I took that to mean he'd be talking a bit about the conspiracy set then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mikujin posted:

I'm doing 1 less Nykthos than the above currently, and I already hate how often I can get locked off a T3 Nightveil. If I bring in more Nykthos', they'll be at the cost of Mutavaults.

I think it might be correct to go to 3 Mutavault's and stay with 2 Nykthos, adding an island, just for the T3 Specter as you point out above.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Well, MaRo said at the end of his article today, "Join me next week, when a third of what I say will be a lie." I took that to mean he'd be talking a bit about the conspiracy set then.

I got pretty upset at his article when he glossed over the design process behind Knowledge and Power (although the mana costs on that card might be a development thing rather than a design one) and then when he glossed over the arachne myth because it's a common glossing over that changes a theme of the myth.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Zorak posted:

An interesting thing I've not seen people talk about much is the fact that the changes Wizards is making to the Card frame, with the cards now being machine-readable, opens up a lot of things in terms of consistent pack make ups and other similar things. One of the earlier versions of the Day/Night mechanic that became double-sided cards used paired cards that would be in the same pack and would always be together. But since the printers couldn't guarantee it consistently due to how the card sheets were collated into packs, they had to move away from it. With this change, technically they can map packs potentially much more precisely / exactly.

Similarly, Double Sided cards are also pretty expensive and complicated for their printers, which is why Maro has indicated previously that we really shouldn't expect them in coresets or supplemental releases ever even though they plan to bring it back sometime for Expert expansions. The cards being machine readable would make this aspect all the more easy for them to pull off.

I would quite enjoy WotC being able to include the correct token with a token producing card if it shows up in a pack since there's nothing that annoys me more irrationally than players representing token creatures with dice.

"I'll attack with a minotaur and a bird, leaving this enchantment bird and boar token back to block."
*points to four dice set to 2*

:argh:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Zorak posted:

An interesting thing I've not seen people talk about much is the fact that the changes Wizards is making to the Card frame, with the cards now being machine-readable, opens up a lot of things in terms of consistent pack make ups and other similar things. One of the earlier versions of the Day/Night mechanic that became double-sided cards used paired cards that would be in the same pack and would always be together. But since the printers couldn't guarantee it consistently due to how the card sheets were collated into packs, they had to move away from it. With this change, technically they can map packs potentially much more precisely / exactly.

Similarly, Double Sided cards are also pretty expensive and complicated for their printers, which is why Maro has indicated previously that we really shouldn't expect them in coresets or supplemental releases ever even though they plan to bring it back sometime for Expert expansions. The cards being machine readable would make this aspect all the more easy for them to pull off.

I wonder if it might mean they can much more nearly truly randomize their packs. The cards are supposed to be completely randomized in packs, but logistically, print runs mean that certain commons will often appear with one another in the same pack and rares can be mapped based on pack order. It could be possible to abstract cards from their locations on the sheet and the machine could sort the cards based on a separate RNG instead. Assuming they keep updating their seed it would mean near-true randomization.

Also, I realized the other week that the new frame isn't completely new - it's been used for years on Planeswalkers.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

I would quite enjoy WotC being able to include the correct token with a
token producing card if it shows up in a pack since there's nothing that annoys me more irrationally than players representing token creatures with dice.

"I'll attack with a minotaur and a bird, leaving this enchantment bird and boar token back to block."
*points to four dice set to 2*

:argh:

I had this conversation with some of the guys at my LCS and while it would be great, it probably won't happen just because it makes those packs slightly fatter and is probably more work than they want to put out.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

I had this conversation with some of the guys at my LCS and while it would be great, it probably won't happen just because it makes those packs slightly fatter and is probably more work than they want to put out.

Tokens replace those rules cards that come in every pack anyway, though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Like Vomax said, you just make sure that if you get a token producing card in your pack, you get an appropriate token instead of a pointless advertising card or unrelated token.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

What if you get more than one token producer in your pack?

You might get Curse of the Swine in the same pack as the guy who makes Soliders off heroic.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mehall posted:

What if you get more than one token producer in your pack?

You might get Curse of the Swine in the same pack as the guy who makes Soliders off heroic.

Would be nice for the rares/mythics.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SketchyPlane posted:

Not sure this went far enough:

Battlefield should be the friend zone :colbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Battlefield should be the friend zone :colbert:

Do you think love can bloom, even in the friend zone?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ScarletBrother posted:

He obviously meant 'non-rotating' because 'eternal' means 'all cards ever printed' in Magic lingo. Only Legacy and Vintage are 'eternal', but both of those and Modern are non-rotating. No need to be pedantic.

I always thought "eternal" meant "once a card enters the format it's in eternally unless it gets banned".

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Entropic posted:

I always thought "eternal" meant "once a card enters the format it's in eternally unless it gets banned".
This is an easy way to think about it, but based on the official MtG Tournament Rules, the only Eternal formats are Legacy and Vintage. See Section 3.2.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

This is pretty much the context I use the term in. Considering how little Vintage is played these days, the fact that there's an umbrella term for 'Legacy+Vintage' but not one for 'Legacy+Modern' is kind of baffling.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Promoted Pawn posted:

This is pretty much the context I use the term in. Considering how little Vintage is played these days, the fact that there's an umbrella term for 'Legacy+Vintage' but not one for 'Legacy+Modern' is kind of baffling.

What about "The Good Formats"? :colbert:

I seriously love Legacy and Modern, they're so interesting to watch, especially Legacy.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are you telling me "non-rotating formats not counting Vintage" doesn't just roll off the tongue?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Entropic posted:

Commander is also an eternal format then :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are you telling me "non-rotating formats not counting Vintage" doesn't just roll off the tongue?

Technically block constructed is also a non-rotating format (with the lone exception of Ice Age block, which had an additional set added about a decade later)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Every format is eternal, some are just more eternal then others.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

revengeanceful posted:

This is an easy way to think about it, but based on the official MtG Tournament Rules, the only Eternal formats are Legacy and Vintage. See Section 3.2.

But wouldn't that also include Pauper? Anyways, screw whatever the official line is, "eternal" means pauper, legacy, vintage, and modern and I'm going to keep using it like that even if nerds insist on being stupid about it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

"Eternal formats" is the new "strictly better than."

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fox of Stone posted:

"Eternal formats" is the new "strictly better than."

"eternal formats" is strictly better than "strictly better than"

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Every format is eternal, some are just more eternal then others.

My cards will obviously be more eternal than yours...I double sleeve.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

OssiansFolly posted:

My cards will obviously be more eternal than yours...I double sleeve.

I play with each card in a top loader :smug:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cactrot posted:

I play with each card in a top loader :smug:

They better already be double sleeved with a sleeve cover before adding the top loader.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

They better already be double sleeved with a sleeve cover before adding the top loader.

Toploaders are for scrubs. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have all their decks double sleeved plus sleeve covers inside screwdown cases.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I play my pauper deck in a 2 foot-high stack of slabs. It takes some muscle to use scry.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
You guys all suck because you should all clearly be doing this:

Except, of course, that your lands should be in front of your creatures because apparently that's a thing that bothers people. Also in one big stack, of course.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BXCX posted:

Toploaders are for scrubs. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have all their decks double sleeved plus sleeve covers inside screwdown cases.

Screwdowns inside team bags

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Back in my day, we didn't sleeve our cards! We'd just shuffle our decks like we were playing Poker, and when they got to the point where the backs are mostly spotty/faded and were no longer rigid enough for shuffling, we'd just buy another couple packs of Homelands.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

You guys all suck because you should all clearly be doing this:

I, too, would like tap 4 for a Shivan Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I, too, would like tap 4 for a Shivan Dragon.

There are clearly 6 lands tapped in that picture. But I mean, it's greasy neckbeards handling the cards so they're obviously going to be stacking their lands on top of each other.

• Locked thread