Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, for sure.

I'm a lazy poo poo when it comes to charop, so I went with a trusty olde greataxe.
I might have added things wrong, but when I crit on my Inevitable Strike, (at level 16) it did like 106 damage. (This is probably pitiful but for my table it was utter insanity)

The wizard crit for 32 and we had a good laugh about it.

I hit a 113 radiant at level 13 last night. It blows when I miss with Righteous Rage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Yeah I'm not too concerned about our party getting smoked or anything, everyone at the table has played a lot of D&D, including 4E (just not for a year or so). And the DM is a smart guy and his style is definitely more "make sure everybody has fun" than "make the players deal with whatever monsters my world demands". I agree controller is generally the least required role in a typical party, but the DM's wife loves playing those roles so not much to be done.

Obviously D&D isn't going to work well in situations where the party has poor composition and the DM doesn't account for it. But I think if the DM takes the weird composition into consideration then it should be all good. Yeah we won't be able to have fights with as many powerful enemies etc. but I doubt it will be a disaster.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I did 27+39 damage in an AP round on my level 2 avenger and the table (composed of like me, total newbies to 4e) was pretty shocked. It's probably not going to get much better though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A Blackguard with a full charge kit and/or Frostcheese is a very effective striker, they're just deadly loving dull to play.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fatherdog posted:

A Blackguard with a full charge kit and/or Frostcheese is a very effective striker, they're just deadly loving dull to play.
Make that "any character at all" and you're still right.

This is one of many reasons I won't ever run 4e with pre-Essentials full magic item crafting/buying/selling, and why I mostly prefer inherent bonuses now. :)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Make that "any character at all" and you're still right.

This is one of many reasons I won't ever run 4e with pre-Essentials full magic item crafting/buying/selling, and why I mostly prefer inherent bonuses now. :)

You aren't wrong, but Blackguards are actually pretty effective strikers even with neither thanks to Power of Strife.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

fatherdog posted:

You aren't wrong, but Blackguards are actually pretty effective strikers even with neither thanks to Power of Strife.

Divine Power owns so hard.
My gray guard is rolling with Power of Skill (we're in an evil campaign so I went with Bane for my deity, because he owns)

Is there a particular one of these feats that benefits especially well from using a reach weapon?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

P.d0t posted:

We're running a "skills are important" campaign, so my Gray Guard is a STR|WIS Deva build for charge-spamming, but we've mostly been fighting solo dragons for the past like... 4 sessions, so YMMV.

DP has some nice combos in there with marking/channel divinity/ardent vow, but I feel like you have to trade some of that down for bursts IMHO if you're ever expecting to fight minions.

I crit 4 times last fight and everyone was like :stonk:

Skills are important campaign? What does that mean?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Arivia posted:

Skills are important campaign? What does that mean?

It means the DM said "skills are important" at the start of the campaign.
Suffice it to say, if past experience is any indication, there will be 6 GREAT TRIALS (skill challenges) that each one of the party members has to solo through to get magic MacGuffins needed to win the campaign.

So, I started off with a Blackguard but we also had a Bard-MC-Everything as The Charisma Guy Who Does Thievery, so I made a Deva for my alt, who handles INT/WIS skills.
Other party members are Fighter (alt: Elementalist), Druid (alt: Artificer), Wizard|Warlock (alt: Barbarian)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

fatherdog posted:

But don't you have to be a human blackguard to get Ardent Strike?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kurieg posted:

But don't you have to be a human blackguard to get Ardent Strike?

If you're playing a non-human blackguard, you're doing it wrong.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, for sure.

I'm a lazy poo poo when it comes to charop, so I went with a trusty olde greataxe.
I might have added things wrong, but when I crit on my Inevitable Strike, (at level 16) it did like 106 damage. (This is probably pitiful but for my table it was utter insanity)

The wizard crit for 32 and we had a good laugh about it.

Here is my "using a defender to defend? Pssshaw" paladin.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Brom the Bloody, level 14
Minotaur, Paladin, Gray Guard
Inherent Bonuses
Holy Killer (+2 to Insight)
Theme: Ordained Priest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 22, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 9, WIS 22, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 13

AC: 30 Fort: 30 Ref: 21 Will: 30
HP: 105 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +11, Insight +22, Intimidate +14, Perception +20, Religion +13, Streetwise +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +6, Athletics +11, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +13, Heal +13, History +6, Nature +15, Stealth +5, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ordained Priest Attack: Smiting Symbol
Minotaur Racial Power: Goring Charge
Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Feature: Ardent Vow
Feat Utility: Righteous Rage of Tempus
Paladin Attack 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Holy Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Divine Pursuit
Paladin Attack 1: Blood of the Mighty
Paladin Utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin Attack 5: Frenzying Smite
Paladin Utility 6: Aspect of Ferocity
Paladin Attack 7: Resurgent Smite
Paladin Attack 9: Death Angel
Endurance Utility 10: Enter the Crucible
Gray Guard Attack 11: Debilitating Smite
Gray Guard Utility 12: Relentless Justice
Paladin Attack 13: Radiant Charge

FEATS
Level 1: Righteous Rage of Tempus
Level 2: Headsman's Chop
Level 4: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Execution axe)
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 11: Critical Targeting
Level 12: Superior Fortitude
Level 14: Devastating Critical

ITEMS
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Viper Belt x1
Dagger
Adventurer's Kit
Grappling Hook
Climber's Kit
Hunter's Kit
Dowsing Rod
Dagger boots
Delver's kit
Devotee's kit
Writing case
Cold-weather clothing
Backlash Tattoo x1
Forgemaster's Gloves (heroic tier) x1
Vanguard Execution axe +3 x1
Badge of the Berserker +3 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Boots of the Mighty Charge x1
Ebon Gith Plate Armor +3 x1
====== End ======

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

fatherdog posted:

Very effective is pushing it. Able to meet CharOp benchmarks is accurate.

Very effective is, for instance, a firewind blade-wielding flamesoul genasi Ranger|Cleric/Morninglord/Radiant One. For instance. Blackguards can do high single attacks for high single damage (with Dread Smite tacking on quite a bit more) but they have no native access to multi-attack standard actions or minor-action attacks, so they're never going to ascend to the heights of very effective.

Also, definitely dull.

E: STRaladins tend to have a VERY strong secondary in striker, moving into outright primary in places.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 3, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Blood of the Mighty is such a cool attack goddamnit. I wish I could poach it on every class.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Is Amazon the best place to buy the required books?

I'm in Australia, so anywhere else will need international shipping.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

thespaceinvader posted:

STRaladins tend to have a VERY strong secondary in striker, moving into outright primary in places.

I can't help but think that's at least partially intentional, since Divine Challenge and Sanction work off of Cha, and there's only a feat fix for Challenge (unless you're a half orc)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I can't help but think that's at least partially intentional, since Divine Challenge and Sanction work off of Cha, and there's only a feat fix for Challenge (unless you're a half orc)

That one's just dumb writing, tbh. Making the fix feat for challenge work on sanction should be a given, given that it only doesn't because it was published before Sanction existed an no-one bothered updating it.

But tbh, the damage isn't the scary thing about challenge/sanction anyway, at least at higher levels.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

EvilElmo posted:

Is Amazon the best place to buy the required books?

I'm in Australia, so anywhere else will need international shipping.

Depending on where you are there might be a gaming store nearby, but either way Booko.com.au will give you the best prices from online book stores including shipping.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
One of my players was wondering the earliest he could get 'true' flight permanently, something like Favored Soul's level 16 thing. Without digging into specific god/domain feats it looks like Scion of Arkhosia is the closest, but I'm not sure, anybody know of anything else? He's a dragonborn paladin worshiping the Raven Queen if that'll help any.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The draconian subraces in Dragon #421 can get flight right from 1st level instead of adding their Con mod to their surge value, but it's altitude limit 1 and you have to land at the end of your turn.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Favoured Soul is the earliest RAW way without requiring him to land, I believe. Though, for my money, you should let him take Summon Celestial Steed as a utility, then he can take a feat at 11th to make it a Pegasus.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So... I don't know if this is the right place to be asking this sort of question, so if I am in the wrong place kindly redirect me! Anyways, I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons games for forever on the computer but never got around to playing the pen and paper version. I just moved to a new state with my wife and don't know anyone, so in figure now is a good time to make some nerdy friends and get into this hobby!

So as a completely new player where should I begin? Do I walk into a game store and explain my plight to the salesman? Should I hound meetup.com and try to go to board game nights? I don't know where to begin!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Probably the advice you'll get around here is to sign up for D&D Insider; the online character builder gives you access to everything in the 4e universe for a lot cheaper than buying book-by-book. Probably check out the WotC Char-Op forums to give you the basics of how not to make a crappy character and end up hating the game.

After that, yeah I'd say hit up meetup or kijiji to find some people to play with.
Depending on your FLGS, the salesman might be some grognard who tells your that 4e is bad and what you really want is Pathfinder.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So... I don't know if this is the right place to be asking this sort of question, so if I am in the wrong place kindly redirect me! Anyways, I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons games for forever on the computer but never got around to playing the pen and paper version. I just moved to a new state with my wife and don't know anyone, so in figure now is a good time to make some nerdy friends and get into this hobby!

So as a completely new player where should I begin? Do I walk into a game store and explain my plight to the salesman? Should I hound meetup.com and try to go to board game nights? I don't know where to begin!

Look up D&D encounters. I don't know where they are in the schedule right now, but they play an ongoing campaign once a week for a couple of months at a time. It should be a good way to get into the pen & paper side and meet some people.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Just an update, our DM put us up against a level 2 elite brute (we were level 1), plus 3 level 1 minions and a level 1 sniper. Our striker kept rolling like poo poo and did almost nothing during the fight other than off-tank.

Even with a +2 to death saves I failed my 3rd one (3 failed out of 3 attempted) on the last round of combat, JUST AFTER the last enemy had been dropped. Yaaaay dice!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That sounds like an balanced-to-difficult encounter, and you got unlucky (plus, first level can be super-swingy). Did no-one heal-check you (or just heal you)?

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
So, I started playing 4E for the first time with a group of 6 friends a couple months ago, and I love it. I replaced a guy who had no clue what the gently caress he was doing, and I've picked it up pretty drat quickly and I've been having a lot of fun. The DM told me today that he thinks I'd be able to DM a game pretty well, and he asked if I'd be willing to do a side quest of my own creation (totally separate from main quest) and run it for the group. (DM loves to step down and play when he's able.)

I told him I would, and now I'm kinda worried because I've never done this before. I'm good at workign with established stuff, but I'm often clueless when I have to design my own things. I have a vague idea forming in making a short side quest set in a swamp with three witch-type monsters kidnapping an NPC and the heroes storming off to rescue her, only to find out after killing the kidnappers that the NPC was a rival witch who wanted to get rid of her competition, and wants to celebrate by snacking on her would-be-rescuers. Ideas are great, but I have no idea how to go about this. He gave me access to the Wizard site tools, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by it all and I have no idea where to start looking for monsters that approximate what I'm looking for, how many monsters and what types I should use so that I don't automatically kill the group,other creation stuff like that. My group size is 6, we all just hit level 10, and they love challenging encounters where they can barely hang on to win. (We did a Beholder encounter a few weeks ago that the group was ecstatic about afterwords.)

Any help, or nudges in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Some advice I can give you that doesn't really have to do with the actual construction of encounters but DMing at large. Don't ever fall so in love with your plans that you rail road your players. If they are anything like mine they will find a hundred new ways to screw up what you had planned. It might be better to go in with a very loose idea of what you want to happen instead of planning out every detail and go with the flow with what the players want to do (not necessarily what happens but how they solve it might be very different than what you had in mind.) specially for a side quest.

Some other advice I can give you is stay away from monsters that can stun or take away turns from players. No one likes that poo poo. Also let your defenders punish monsters with their mark from time to time. Its no fun if the second they get marked they never attack anything but the defender so they never trigger it.

Vire fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 5, 2014

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

I just had my first ever true pen and paper D&D game (baptised into true nerddom, finally!). Dwarf mages in D&D Next seem surprisingly powerful. Not only do they get weapon proficiency, as a mountain dwarf you can wear medium armor (which in Next doesn't affect spellcasting ability???) and get +1 to wisdom (and constitution). Even after using my two daily spells I had no problem cleaving two kobolds and a kobold alchemist WITH MY AXE. :black101:

Then again who cares just play human and get +1 racial bonus to EVERY STAT.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

That sounds like an balanced-to-difficult encounter, and you got unlucky (plus, first level can be super-swingy). Did no-one heal-check you (or just heal you)?

I had 1 failed save from earlier in the encounter. My initiative was right after the elite, and last in the round so he dropped me on his turn, I failed again. Then the last round we knew he was almost down, so both the other players focused on him since we knew he had an area attack power that appeared to work on recharge so if he had that and they didn't drop him it could have been a total wipe.

I think we could have handled it had the striker not literally missed every attack other than the one in the last round. It was very close, even when I was dropped he only just barely dropped me, to -1.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You don't have a leader, or you are the leader?

With only three that's a much more difficult encounter than I first thought.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
I was the leader.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

With a small party in particular, it can often be worth the non-leaders investing in a MC heal (usually Warlord is the best one to start off with) for precisely this situation.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

cbservo posted:

Any help, or nudges in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.
Since you're explicitly doing a side quest thing and this is your first time DMing, you'll probably have pretty easy buy-in for your premise. I wouldn't worry too much about them going off the rails. And I really like the twist you've added in. It sounds like a great plan.

Insider makes building the encounters super easy. Just reskin like a madman.

First though, ask your DM how he's been tuning the encounters so far. Does he need to hit the high end of a Hard encounter with level +2-3 monsters just to make you guys break a sweat? Or are Normal encounters still a good challenge/warmup?

For the first encounter, look through the Monster Vault, MV: Nentir Veil, and MM3 monsters for a few elites with "witch-y" powers in the 9-13 range. It looks like there are actually quite a few good ones in Nentir Veil. For some variety though, don't be afraid to pick out a melee monster for one of them as well. Maybe one of the witches really likes her obsidian sacrificial knives.

If three elite monsters isn't looking hard enough based on what your regular DM says (it should come out to be roughly a Normal encouter for 6 players), don't be afraid to throw in a pet Manticore or something. Or even a 4th elite. A Charnel Otyugh would make sense in a swamp.

For the boss encounter, for a really memorable fight, maybe have the witch transform halfway through into something really nasty. Maybe she starts off as a reskinned Beholder, hovering a few feet above the swamp and shooting beams everywhere. Then when she gets bloodied, she could transform into a Flamekiss Hydra or the dragon Vestapalk (don't forget to use the Bloodied Breath attack as part of the transformation sequence). Feel free to add a pet for her too if you think she might need it.

Lastly, pick out a few minions to sprinkle in if things are looking too easy. Maybe one of the three has some dryad blood and some tree minions start popping in. Or the boss witch could call up the spirits of the dead witches (and anything else that had been killed in the area) to fight for her.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
My group and I have picked up 4th edition after playing first edition D&D almost exclusively (we're old)...

We're having a great time and really enjoying the balance and structure. That said, the next group of encounters that my party is going to face are going to be challenging and I'm not sure they'll survive. How do you guys handle party wipes?

I'm ok having everyone roll new characters but I don't want to crush the momentum. Any thoughts?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Knucklebear posted:

My group and I have picked up 4th edition after playing first edition D&D almost exclusively (we're old)...

We're having a great time and really enjoying the balance and structure. That said, the next group of encounters that my party is going to face are going to be challenging and I'm not sure they'll survive. How do you guys handle party wipes?

I'm ok having everyone roll new characters but I don't want to crush the momentum. Any thoughts?

If a party wipes, you can always say "Well, actually, you were captured by the bad guys" and work from there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
You could also have them just wake up in the Shadowfell and have to fight their way out the afterlife. :black101:

There's a million options.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Or maybe Death has a task for them in the world of the living and is willing to cut a deal. :getin:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Knucklebear posted:

Just like PCs, NPCs get to decide what happens at 0. If the enemies aren't striking to kill, I just make it clear that "death" at negative bloodied or after 3 failed saves just means you're really, really out of this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Alright well apparently one of our players is dropping out, so now we have 3 people including the DM. We have another player who might be joining in a month or so, and obviously the ultimate goal would be to have more players, but does anyone have any ideas for handling a D&D campaign with very limited players?