Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dolash posted:

Also, maybe I missed it the first time through, but where did they mention Agent Day has cupid powers? That seems like kind of a weird ability to throw into the story.

It was back a little bit, while Spender was picking everyone up for tonight and he stopped to talk to Isabel's Grandpa. Specifically, Spender mentions that she "uses a tool with 'Cupid's arrow' powers."

Edit for quote for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's fine, I didn't need this heart for anything anyway.

Really. :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:smith: Not even the LOL can make this strip feel better.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't think Eightfold was going to go with the "You don't seem to see spirits as people" angle with this, but it's a valid point. Isabel seems mostly interested in fighting, and fighting spirits seems kind of like a big game to her.

If Eightfold really is going to get buried underground forever, or die, or something like that, this is quite a dark note to end on. Then again, this doesn't seem like a conversation you'd have in the middle of a raging battle unless she thinks she's not going to get the chance to have it later (because she'll be dead).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dolash posted:

If Eightfold really is going to get buried underground forever, or die, or something like that, this is quite a dark note to end on. Then again, this doesn't seem like a conversation you'd have in the middle of a raging battle unless she thinks she's not going to get the chance to have it later (because she'll be dead).

Well, if it's any consolation, there's always the possibility that eventually, Eightfold will fully regenerate herself to the point where she doesn't need to be in a tool anymore and then she'll be able to break that bond and find Isabel again. After all, A spirit doesn't strictly need a spectral to regenerate.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, that's where Eightfold was going with the point about how Isabel didn't include her in her story about how they became friends. That's actually darker than what I was expecting.

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, if it's any consolation, there's always the possibility that eventually, Eightfold will fully regenerate herself to the point where she doesn't need to be in a tool anymore and then she'll be able to break that bond and find Isabel again. After all, A spirit doesn't strictly need a spectral to regenerate.

No, but they do need spectral energy form some place or other. That usually comes from, well, spirits. And Eightfold is a weak spirit; she's the sort that gets eaten, not the kind that eats. So assuming she isn't alone underground, well, things still aren't necessarily going to end well.

Assuming she does get trapped, at least. Though it does seem likely, we still need to see where this is going.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Paranatural: A thought-provoking treatise on critical theory. Also anime ghost fights.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Almost literally every single spirit who has had significant screen time has given some kind of lecture on morality in one form or another. I joked about this but it seems to be actually happening. Can't wait to hear Scraps and whoever Ed's spirit is give their speeches.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't really notice it while blazing through the comic at first, but now that you mention it, yeah. Especially lately? I mean, it makes sense for Spender and Grandpa to talk about the greater good since there's a teacher/student thing going on there, but then Spender and Forge get into a fight and they both stop to continue that discussion while the train they're supposed to be after gets further and further away.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Dolash posted:

I didn't really notice it while blazing through the comic at first, but now that you mention it, yeah. Especially lately? I mean, it makes sense for Spender and Grandpa to talk about the greater good since there's a teacher/student thing going on there, but then Spender and Forge get into a fight and they both stop to continue that discussion while the train they're supposed to be after gets further and further away.
Well, to be fair, Forge's lecture was provoked by the fact that Spender was going after the train, and he set it off deliberately in the hopes he wouldn't have to do a fight he assumed he'd lose. Neither of them are in a huge hurry for it, which is part of why Forge was saying they're both awful people.
And I'd figure if there'd be one category of beings that'd be guaranteed to have strong opinions on human morality, actions, and attitudes, it'd be the ones that spend most of their time as invisible voyeurs.
Think about that old 'what do you do when nobody's looking?' question? They're always looking.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't disagree with the things Eightfold is saying, but I can't help but feel this isn't an appropriate place for this sort of break, narratively-speaking. We're in the middle of at least two important combats (which are cool and exciting!) after not really having a good fight for, well, a year or so (whenever Max "fought" the racist whale frog). I know it isn't a comic about fighting, but this is a frustrating break considering we get two pages a week, with this conversation already lasting over half a month.

This, to me, says that Eightfold is going away. Zack isn't a Master Storyteller, but he has a grasp on how fiction works, and I don't think he'd normally say "y'know, I bet people really want to hear about how Isabel considers spirits a useful novelty sometimes and attempts to save her mortal friend from splattering into the wall of a train instead of her spirit which is tucked relatively safely into a solid object, right now." This is a conversation which has to take place now, because Eightfold won't be around in the near future. That, or it's just a boring conversation. I get that it's probably setting up Isabel to be angry with Max, but I just can't really bring myself to care - I think physically losing the book would have been enough of a catalyst.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I think you guys are misunderstanding Eightfold. She's so weak that she regularly regenerates and leaves the book; to reenter the book after Isabel was done CHANGING THE SUBJECT, she killed herself to release her last-legs spirit. At this point, she's not staying with Isabel because she can't leave, she's staying because a) she likes Isabel and b) the book provides her with food and protection from hungry spirits.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Almost literally every single spirit who has had significant screen time has given some kind of lecture on morality in one form or another. I joked about this but it seems to be actually happening. Can't wait to hear Scraps and whoever Ed's spirit is give their speeches.

I think that's more just this chapter. Next chapter is supposed to focus on the normal kids, which I'm looking forward to. Maybe Jeff will finally make a friend. :downs:
Also Starchman. :allears: Every day without him is another day of not knowing the true joy of English classes.

VV True that. Ok well I'm still looking forward to next chapter.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 2, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

youcallthatatwist posted:

I think that's more just this chapter.

It also happened with Doorman, Isaac's spirit, the whale frog, and maybe others I can't remember.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If this gets animated, then it'll be convenient that all of the dramatic quotes and poo poo for the trailer are frontloaded in the first few chapters so as to avoid spoilers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would she be angry with him?

I mean, she doesn't have to be a rational actor. But Max didn't do anything to shape her or her worldview, and he didn't treat Eightfold as particularly subhuman (as far as I can tell anyway). Maybe she would project her anger at herself on him?

I don't know, I think it would just drive a wedge deeper into her relationship with her grandfather.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I want Max's spirit to give a speech that is just hissing for the entire page with a confused Max getting progressively angrier.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you must be pious, boy, choose a proper priest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tollymain posted:

Maybe she would project her anger at herself on him?

Basically this, yes. Max indirectly lead to her losing Eightfold (assuming that happens) because he's a noob-rear end scrub who couldn't save himself from falling despite having magnetic powers inside a giant tube of metal. She instinctively saved him, because he's her friend and a human instead of a book, but now she might guilt trip on that. It's a pretty human thing to do, and she's a literal child so there's that.

I mean none of this might happen - Eightfold might just magically stick around, maybe Isabel will just become completely self-loathing, maybe she'll project on her grandfather like you said - but I think driving a wedge between a group is a pretty common heroic fiction trope and hardly out of the realm of possibility here.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Like how Isabel is gradually de-blushing through the comic.

Also

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Paranatural: Serious Talks About Morality (also spooky ghosts)

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Simsmagic posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Paranatural: Serious Talks About Morality (by spooky ghosts)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Eightfold no! Stop this right now you silly paper spider, you're gonna... you're gonna be okay... :ohdear:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Welp Friday is going to be harsh.

That alt-text :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goodbye Isabel, we hardly knew ye :v:

Joking aside shiiiiiiit

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You know, I'm not sure if Eightfold actually believes Isabel doesn't see spirits as "people", judging by one of her reasons to bring her into the spirit world...

Also, please eightfold don't do it :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, Eightfold is done for. Hopefully her words will swirl around in Isabel's head for a while and eventually click. I guess it was a little too much to expect her to change her whole outlook in one quick final conversation.

Having to save Max rather than make one last lunge for Eightfold is probably going on the "Isabel will blame Max" pile, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Unless I'm missing something, Eightfold is just falling out of a fast moving poltergeist train. Is that really enough to destroy the tool it's bound too? At worse Isabel is going to be separated from Eightfold for a long time if not indefinitely, but I think Eightfold will at least survive the fall and is just giving some last minute coaching to help Isabel out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Unless I'm missing something, Eightfold is just falling out of a fast moving poltergeist train. Is that really enough to destroy the tool it's bound too? At worse Isabel is going to be separated from Eightfold for a long time if not indefinitely, but I think Eightfold will at least survive the fall and is just giving some last minute coaching to help Isabel out.

The problem is the train is underground. If Eightfold's book falls out, they'd have a hell of a time finding it again. Anyone would have a hell of a time finding it. She'll essentially be trapped forever, unless wounded spirits can leave their tools before returning to health.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Tenebrais posted:

The problem is the train is underground. If Eightfold's book falls out, they'd have a hell of a time finding it again. Anyone would have a hell of a time finding it. She'll essentially be trapped forever, unless wounded spirits can leave their tools before returning to health.

We've seen from grandpa's training targets that wounded spirits can leave if their tool is destroyed, but we don't know if they can willingly leave otherwise

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Link for posterity.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
NOOO THE CUTEST MEMBER OF PARANATURAL IS ABOUT TO GO WHYYY

:siren:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Tenebrais posted:

Where does it say the train is underground? Last it was shown was it going through the forest, and I don't think anyone mentioned it actually going underground.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Leper Residue posted:

Where does it say the train is underground? Last it was shown was it going through the forest, and I don't think anyone mentioned it actually going underground.

The train went underground here. Enough time has passed, though, that it could be pretty much anywhere by now.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ProfessorProf posted:

The train went underground here. Enough time has passed, though, that it could be pretty much anywhere by now.

Ah, I totally missed the ground in that panel, thanks. So yeah, I guess Eightfold is boned.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I totally missed that strip, too. :stare:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dyllyn posted:

NOOO THE CUTEST MEMBER OF PARANATURAL IS ABOUT TO GO WHYYY

:siren:

Huh? What's happening with Mr. Starchman?

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
I see your sneaky switcharoo and raise you the paranatural cast page!

quote:

Eightfold:
The spirit in Isabel's book. Eats words, controls paper. Chirpy. Objectively the cutest character in Paranatural.

Ha I am smug! No wait I am sad augh Eightfold WHY

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I still got a good laugh from reading the alt-text right after reading the last panel, at least.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dyllyn posted:

I see your sneaky switcharoo and raise you the paranatural cast page!

Ha I am smug! No wait I am sad augh Eightfold WHY

If that cast page is to be believed, Spender is also objectively the coolest.

So I guess what I'm saying is you were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Countblanc posted:

If that cast page is to be believed, Spender is also objectively the coolest.

So I guess what I'm saying is you were right.
Well, according to Spender's own experiments. I'm detecting a possible conflict of interest.