Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I think it's hilarious that he wants to establish a traditional Christian theocracy, but his position on marijuana is to the left of Obama.

His position on abortion is to the left of numerous Republicans, for that matter. He at least acknowledges the idea that life of the mother might possibly matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014
Not to mention that he wants to increase school budgets and teacher's compensation.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, that platform had me going:

"Huh. Not so bad, that sounds pretty reasonable."
:stare:
"Well, that was bad, but this part is Not terrible."
:stonk:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
My favorite part was the vague but ominous "review several laws including several statute-of-limitations". I mean after spelling out such fundamental changes to American society, what could possibly be so offensive that he's like, "Better hold that one back, don't want to scare anybody."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kaal posted:

My favorite part was the vague but ominous "review several laws including several statute-of-limitations". I mean after spelling out such fundamental changes to American society, what could possibly be so offensive that he's like, "Better hold that one back, don't want to scare anybody."

That is weird, shouldn't Christians be in favor of the statute of limitations? You did something wrong a long time ago, but have kept on the straight and narrow since then. All you need is to ask forgiveness between a and b and that's a standard Christian redemption story.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
All courts to be replaced with confessionals/baptismal fonts.

Also, his idea of 'christianity' as a homogenous unit is quaintly childish.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Skwirl posted:

That is weird, shouldn't Christians be in favor of the statute of limitations? You did something wrong a long time ago, but have kept on the straight and narrow since then. All you need is to ask forgiveness between a and b and that's a standard Christian redemption story.

Christians of his ilk tend to be much more about god's wrath and punishment of the wicked (however defined) than redemption and forgiveness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

All courts to be replaced with confessionals/baptismal fonts.

Also, his idea of 'christianity' as a homogenous unit is quaintly childish.
Your issue here is you may be assuming he considers those other people to be Christians, not heretics.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kaal posted:

He was going to spell it out more clearly, but his legal team convinced him Margaret Atwood might sue for breach of copyright.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

American fundamentalism has more in common with Hernán Cortés and Francisco Pizarro's brand of christianity, than anything coherent.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Nessus posted:

Your issue here is you may be assuming he considers those other people to be Christians, not heretics.

Oh, he almost assuredly does. But those whacky protestants - the true heir to the early church is a highly contentious title. I wonder how restrictive this christian utopia will be? I guess there would have to be a 'department of religion' added to the government and then obviously have to hear arguments about all the wonderful, myriad facets of protestantism and who should be put to death and how exactly it should be done. Stoning? Hanging? Drowning? And what of the jews? They never seem to fare well in these religious upheavals.

I wonder how far you would have to be from whatever flavor of protestantism he is for just absolute annihilation. I wonder if he'd send all the mormons to the gas chambers for Mass Heresy. Or is he cool with the mormons? Oh, what a brave new world. At least my right to purchase firearms won't be abrogated so I can blow my loving head off.

EDIT: And the best part of all, military assistance to Israel to rebuild the temple! Hooray!

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It really is adorable that Rand Paul is being talked about like a legitimate candidate for 2016.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

What's primary season without the Paul family?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It really is adorable that Rand Paul is being talked about like a legitimate candidate for 2016.

Given the alternatives, he might actually be.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Seriously. Their "serious" options currently are Christie and Jeb Bush. (In a vacuum Jeb might actually be a serious option but the US isn't the Philippines, at least not yet.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tempest_56 posted:

Given the alternatives, he might actually be.

Except that he has a fatal flaw with literally every single possible consistency, so no, he won't be.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Except that he has a fatal flaw with literally every single possible consistency, so no, he won't be.

Except that he has fewer than everybody else, especially in terms of surviving the primaries.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JEB(!) is the kind of candidate that Michelle Rhee would be proud of. Vouchers, balkanized/standardized tests (turns out the state is always in the bottom quartile) but when adjusting for race the students are in the top half or so - with minorities doing better than whites. Keep in mind this is not a direct comparison but a "25th among whites" and "23rd among blacks" so it's a scale full of thumbs given the nation as a whole.
Lies, drat lies, statistics.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Except that he has fewer than everybody else, especially in terms of surviving the primaries.

No, he doesn't. He has candidacy ending flaws with GOP base constituencies which other candidates don't.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

No, he doesn't. He has candidacy ending flaws with GOP base constituencies which other candidates don't.

Why does he lose to:

-Rubio
-Jeb
-Cruz
-Christie
-Santorum
-Bachmann
-Comedy Mitch Daniels

?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Kaal posted:

Mine was "God will be asked to be an integral part of the government of the U.S." because it struck me as so literal. Like they would hold some kind of giant ceremony on the capitol steps imploring the almighty to come and run the government for them, speaking in tongues and becoming increasingly desperate as he fails to manifest himself.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Why does he lose to:

-Rubio
-Jeb
-Cruz
-Christie
-Santorum
-Bachmann
-Comedy Mitch Daniels

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4FTd-1m-o & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27r0y8hZGRo

Not the content mind you, the base eats that poo poo up. It's the fact that he even spoke to that godless lesbian.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Winner is Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4FTd-1m-o & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27r0y8hZGRo

Not the content mind you, the base eats that poo poo up. It's the fact that he even spoke to that godless lesbian.

Also he has expressed discomfort with drone strikes against Americans in a way that makes it seem like he might be against it if done by a white/GOP president. So, even though he's actually totally cool with such action (so long as the appropriate FISA-like rubber stamp panels of judges say there's a crime in progress) he said it was bad and used nonpartisan words. Ergo he is liable to dispute the power of a GOP executive.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I'm reading "Before The Storm" by Rick Perlstein about the Goldwater phenomenon right now. Being on the opposite side of the so-called party "establishment" rarely works out, but back then it was easier to shut down an insurgent due to the arcane primary and convention system (it's how we got President Eisenhower and not Taft). Goldwater needed a perfect storm of Bircher anger, anti-Civil Rights anger, the birth of the insurgent YAF and William F. Buckley machine, and the support of Reagan and John Wayne in California to barely beat Rockefeller.

Paul has the few remaining Paultards who didn't turn on him over being too close to the GOP leadership and a weakening Tea Party. He may not even get all of them if a Bachman or Herman Cain or Huckabee runs. It's Jeb!s for the taking.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Last time around our 'serious' contenders included an insane religious extremist who hadn't held office in five years, a pizza czar who quoted Pokemon, a woman who publicly stated that God directly spoke to her enough to make her a saint twice over, and Newt loving Gingrich. Ron Paul (kill youre parents) was strong enough to make a credible impact, despite being a fairly obvious madman. We have crossed the Rubicon of insanity. Rand Paul will not win, but you're deluding yourself if you think he can't wage a reasonable fight against the likes of Ted Cruz and Chris Christie.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Why does he lose to:

-Rubio
-Jeb
-Cruz
-Christie
-Santorum
-Bachmann
-Comedy Mitch Daniels

?

He wins against all of these people except Jeb in a straight 1 on 1 and I'm convinced that Jeb won't run -or- that he runs, is the poll king for three weeks and then the rank and file sours on him for the new hotness.

There are four potential serious candidates this cycle right now - Paul, Rubio, Jeb and Scott Walker (Christie was the fifth but welp). The others are window dressing.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Adar posted:

He wins against all of these people except Jeb in a straight 1 on 1 and I'm convinced that Jeb won't run -or- that he runs, is the poll king for three weeks and then the rank and file sours on him for the new hotness.

There are four potential serious candidates this cycle right now - Paul, Rubio, Jeb and Scott Walker (Christie was the fifth but welp). The others are window dressing.

Delicious window dressing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

Scott Walker looks like every kid who only has a job because his dad owns a window company.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

S-Wal=T-Paw. He'll be lost on a stage with anyone with a personality.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Adar posted:

Rubio, Jeb and Walker are the only ones who could win it.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
So no one here has any comments on Governor Martin O'Malley's IAMA on Reddit a few hours ago?

It's okay - the O'Malley team probably wishes no one on Reddit had any comments either.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Rubio, Jeb and Walker are the only ones who could win it.

And they're all RINOs, which means they'll come out of the primary with fatal damage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SedanChair posted:

And they're all RINOs, which means they'll come out of the primary with fatal damage.

With the present makeup of the GOP, that pretty much applies to anyone who could make it out of a primary.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

Rubio in particular. I'm not sure why we're tossing his name about this prominently, I thought he was still cosigned to the outer darkness for having committed the fatal sin of agreeing with Obama that one time, particularly since Cruz has come along as a potential alternative Latin candidate.*

*here defined in classic GOP token form of appealing to that demographic by being technically part of it, despite having little to nothing else to offer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Rubio in particular. I'm not sure why we're tossing his name about this prominently, I thought he was still cosigned to the outer darkness for having committed the fatal sin of agreeing with Obama that one time, particularly since Cruz has come along as a potential alternative Latin candidate.*

*here defined in classic GOP token form of appealing to that demographic by being technically part of it, despite having little to nothing else to offer.

Don't underestimate the appeal of "look guys! we have a brown! we're not racist!" to the GOP base. And Rubio is also willing to whore himself out to the Koch's of the world on economic stuff and the McCain's of the world on foreign policy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Don't underestimate the appeal of "look guys! we have a brown! we're not racist!" to the GOP base.

By "appeal" do you mean "enrage them and depress their turnout"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Eschers Basement posted:

So no one here has any comments on Governor Martin O'Malley's IAMA on Reddit a few hours ago?

It's okay - the O'Malley team probably wishes no one on Reddit had any comments either.

Wow, that's amazing.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

Um...so are people in Baltimore under the impression that they're the only city that Comcast has a monopoly on? Because I'm pretty sure every city I've lived in has been the same, be it Comcast or TWC. If that's the big ice burn on him, it's pretty dumb.

If people are looking for an anti-Hillary, a Warren-less field isn't going to be good for them. And Warren is not running.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

O'Malley is about as uninspiring as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

So who's the real anti-Hillary?

• Locked thread