Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kaldaris posted:

Well, the Sinner is one of Four Big Bad Dudes as I understand it. :raise: But my friend tells me there's even more, so you're less than 25% done, at the most.

Seeing people use what I assume was lightning spear when I helped out on the lost sinner does explain why my magic seemed so crap on bosses in that I'd gone the wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kimmalah posted:

You should also keep checking with merchants, since once you reach certain milestones in the game they'll acquire new items or unlimited stock.

Aren't the "new milestones" almost all "spend X amount of souls with them?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo how am I just now discovering that the ring of life protection can be repaired.

This changes everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gently caress me running why did I think Asceticing Sinner's Rise so I could get Flame Weapon was a good idea. This is flatout impossible without help (which I can't summon besides a shitbird NPC, wish I'd known THAT part before I even set out on this stupid endeavour!)

Also Pyromancy has flat out sucked compared to Lightning Spear so far, dunno if that's just the influence of stat scaling or what (flame is at +4, my chime was at +1) but it's leaving me feeling disillusioned.

Stupid Jester tricked me in the end :smith:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just ran past everything in Black Gulch and 1 shot the boss only to find that I missed my last chance to get 3/4 on Lucatiel summons

woops

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

THE PWNER posted:

I just ran past everything in Black Gulch and 1 shot the boss only to find that I missed my last chance to get 3/4 on Lucatiel summons

woops

Bonfire it up! :p

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

woops

Go for her story in NG+, ascetic one of her bosses, restart the game, or say gently caress it.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress me running why did I think Asceticing Sinner's Rise so I could get Flame Weapon was a good idea. This is flatout impossible without help (which I can't summon besides a shitbird NPC, wish I'd known THAT part before I even set out on this stupid endeavour!)

Also Pyromancy has flat out sucked compared to Lightning Spear so far, dunno if that's just the influence of stat scaling or what (flame is at +4, my chime was at +1) but it's leaving me feeling disillusioned.

Out of curiosity, I was interested in Pyromancy for my next character, can anyone type some words about how it works in comparison to the other magics? And anything in particular to note about it?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I really don't think Durability is a very good system in this game. Or, more specifically, I don't think it works well in the context of other design decisions. Durability being quite limited, in theory, encourages the use of multiple weapons. Except your ability to experiment and try out new weapons is severely curtailed by the lack of availability of Titanite Shards in the early game. I think they went overboard on the rarity of Titanite Shards. Large Titanite Shards and up are in a fine place in terms of rarity, but there's really no reason for the baseline entry level materials to be so sparse when you have a system in place specifically designed to encourage players to branch out and not just use the same drat weapon all the time forever.

Weaker hitting weapons and thrusting damage weapons really feel shafted with the durability system.

So many things are drat resistant to thrust damage :negative:, I can't say I really enjoyed messing with spears outside of PvP.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Pyromancy is really for characters that otherwise do not have int or faith. Any decent amount of either will trump any pyromancy spell in terms of damage output. If you want to make Pyromancy work, think of it as backup and spec around that.

If you're having issues with Lost Sinner+ just go do some more stuff and come back later. Especially if you can't find any summons in the area, your soul memory is probably too low.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

TGLT posted:

I dunno. The hood and robes look fairly different on the statues. The Garl Vinland lookalike is also way later in the game. Might be intended as a callback anyways though. At least, it's not as clear as the big ol' king ring doors.

Lost pagan tradition, simplified representation in the idols, :iiam:

Even if it's a callback, it's in the game. All connections are connections and can be read as such. Specifically with souls games it's hard to say anything is just a throwback, just a reference, because until retconned it does provide context.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Holy poo poo how am I just now discovering that the ring of life protection can be repaired.

This changes everything.

Do folks who rock that ring just replace the Ring of Binding with it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

laplace posted:

The dolls are definitely Maiden Astraea. A long-forgotten saint, part of a pagan worship ritual from a kingdom far ago. The game already makes a million references to Demon's Souls and King's Field IV, cycles and "old kingdoms" It's really not that hard to put the two and two together, it's not even subtle.

What other person/statue would a bunch of defiled zombiepeople worship like that?

Edit: Also that mural in the Shrine of Winter is about Shanalotte, hence the child in the robe that looks almost exactly like her and the dragons in the murals. At least, that's the going theory.

Astraea and Demon's Souls aren't even in the same continuity, let alone King's Field. It might be a reference but it's not actually her.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Astraea and Demon's Souls aren't even in the same continuity, let alone King's Field. It might be a reference but it's not actually her.

For references to other games that aren't within the canon, see: the big dumb skull in Ash Lake from DaS 1.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jose posted:

How far through the game am I having done Forest of Fallen Giants, the Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise? I realise the game can be done in any order but I still find it strange that it seems like I should have done Heide's tower after the forest. I just saw some huge thing in the entrance so decided to go the other way and kept going. Guess its my memories of Anor Londo making me avoid the big enemy

Not far at all, you're only starting out. And yeah, Heide's is intimidating compared to the Forest but it's a lower-level area than Lost Bastille. Bring a blunt weapon with you and those giants will fall real quick.

There's also a third zone in the Lost Bastille if you unlock the Pharros' Contraption under the Servants' Quarter bonfire.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

TGLT posted:

Pyromancy is really for characters that otherwise do not have int or faith. Any decent amount of either will trump any pyromancy spell in terms of damage output. If you want to make Pyromancy work, think of it as backup and spec around that.

If you're having issues with Lost Sinner+ just go do some more stuff and come back later. Especially if you can't find any summons in the area, your soul memory is probably too low.

So is maining Pyromancy just a bad idea optimization wise? Because I really like big flashy boomy effects. :(

Kanfy posted:

There's also a third zone free place to be anally perforated in the Lost Bastille if you unlock the Pharros' Contraption under the Servants' Quarter bonfire.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

This game provides evidence to the contrary. A toooon of evidence to the contrary. Specifically if you've played the King's Field games before this it goes beyond just throwbacks and into "Making really plaintext meta statements". I mean, three NPCs Shalquoir, Gilligan, and Chloanne literally tell you straight to your face "Hmm everything sure looks familiar haha remember those old kingdoms what were their names hahahahahha we forgot". Specifically with Gilligan, when you're standing in a level that was lifted straight out of King's Field 4 down to the boss and the surrounding area -- Poisoned mines with mummy subjects, mages and traps. Hell, the whole prologue of Demon's Souls is in an item description. The moonlight greatsword, the Abyss Queen version of Nashandra, and the other Three Eyed dragons -- It's past simple references at this point.

There's way more than that in the game, but saying it's "just callbacks" totally cheapens the game, specifically when a huge theme of the game is the repetition of the past.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Are there any weapons this time around that knock down enemies like the Zweihander R2 attack did in DS1? I'm using the Greatsword which has a similar moveset but the lack of this effect is making it pretty underwhelming. The best I've been able to do is stagger even with the stone ring on.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

laplace posted:

Edit: Also that mural in the Shrine of Winter is about Shanalotte, hence the child in the robe that looks almost exactly like her and the dragons in the murals. At least, that's the going theory.

I missed this edit, but I kind of doubt it.

This mural has a tall dude with long hair, a bald dude with a square jaw, some one young, and whoever on the far right with their face covered. The other mural with four people doesn't have the tall dude and the only person who might be bald also looks like they're maybe just wearing a helmet. There's also what look like two old ladies. The two murals look like two different groups of people. The latter is probably the Emerald Herald. And maybe the crones at the start of the game?

edit: There's also the mural of probably Aldia, so I'd hazard a guess and say the murals are depicting different important people prior to the fall of Drangleic, instead of just the Emerald Herald's story.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 5, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kanfy posted:

Not far at all, you're only starting out. And yeah, Heide's is intimidating compared to the Forest but it's a lower-level area than Lost Bastille. Bring a blunt weapon with you and those giants will fall real quick.

There's also a third zone in the Lost Bastille if you unlock the Pharros' Contraption under the Servants' Quarter bonfire.

I did this and had a couple of runs before giving up and just summoning a couple of people to fight the lost sinner :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

laplace posted:

Lost pagan tradition, simplified representation in the idols, :iiam:

Even if it's a callback, it's in the game. All connections are connections and can be read as such. Specifically with souls games it's hard to say anything is just a throwback, just a reference, because until retconned it does provide context.

Lenigrast's face is also in the World 2 archstone in Demon's Souls, headband and all. They're almost certainly just references.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

laplace posted:

This game provides evidence to the contrary. A toooon of evidence to the contrary. Specifically if you've played the King's Field games before this it goes beyond just throwbacks and into "Making really plaintext meta statements". I mean, three NPCs Shalquoir, Gilligan, and Chloanne literally tell you straight to your face "Hmm everything sure looks familiar haha remember those old kingdoms what were their names hahahahahha we forgot". Specifically with Gilligan, when you're standing in a level that was lifted straight out of King's Field 4 down to the boss and the surrounding area -- Poisoned mines with mummy subjects, mages and traps. Hell, the whole prologue of Demon's Souls is in an item description. The moonlight greatsword, the Abyss Queen version of Nashandra, and the other Three Eyed dragons -- It's past simple references at this point.

There's way more than that in the game, but saying it's "just callbacks" totally cheapens the game, specifically when a huge theme of the game is the repetition of the past.

No it does not because hey, guess what, Demon's Souls is owned by Sony. This is why we have Dark Souls in the first place. References are in the game for sure (the Moonlight Greatsword has been around since forever, for example) but this is not the world of Demon's Souls.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Kanfy posted:

Thought they were translated from Japanese but apparently they're drawn by a fellow Finn who goes by the nick "Setz".

Does the artist have a website? I really want to see that "Ah! He is crying!" one again

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

I've only started the game yesterday but I know where this is and am glad to know I'm not the first to fall for it.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

No it does not because hey, guess what, Demon's Souls is owned by Sony. This is why we have Dark Souls in the first place. References are in the game for sure (the Moonlight Greatsword has been around since forever, for example) but this is not the world of Demon's Souls.

I know that the Moonlight Greatsword has been in the game for forever, I've played all of the KF games and my first souls game was Demon's Souls. Even if Sony owns the property, with the way Fromsoft has incorporated the lore and canon it wouldn't remotely raise concern copyright wise. Even so, until it's outright retconned the implication and lore can be read as such -- specifically when Fromsoft has been outright plaintexting it like that. I don't know the whole copyright implications but if Project Beast actually ends up being Demon's Souls 2 then It's not like From isn't allowed to play with their canon. Picking and choosing what lore and what references mean what while ignoring others just because is sort of a really dumb way to interpret things. Specifically when this game is, as mentioned before, totally about the legacy of history. There are even more links in the chronology -- In Dark Souls 1 the Witch of Izalith having a Witch's Ring from Demon's Souls, Carhillion mentioning that "Before Pyromancy there were Fire Sorceries, but they are long forgotton", etc. That is outright linking the series while From winks at the audience hoping they get it.

Fake edit: Here's where I read about the Shrine of Winter thing. It's from Reddit so take it with a grain of salt, I definitely did.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why's it called the shrine of winter anyway?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

Does the artist have a website? I really want to see that "Ah! He is crying!" one again

Pixiv at least, it seems.

Don't even need to sign up for that one. :v:

Might as well post the last three.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Reading this thread I realized I'm gonna fight some guy called Old Iron King. I did not expect him to look like that :stare:.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Drangleic Castle finished but it's such a bitch for durability. I had to repair my sword three times going from one bonfire to the next. Nearly had a heart attack fighting the two dragonriders.

Shrine of Amana was nowhere near as bad as everyone was making it out to be and I didn't even have a bow or any ranged attacks (pure strength character). The boss was a bit easy - just wait for it to do the big lunge thing, roll out the way then wail on its face. Only one I solo'd so far, because nobody was available to summon.

Summons past Drangleic Castle have literally completely dried up now. Lots of messages, zero summons both ways. I reloaded Steam, same thing still. I can't remember my soul memory but it's probably something like 900k.

Currently in a bit in the undead crypt where I fall down a hole and literally get multi-murder-killed by several ghosts casting firestorm and poo poo. If I'm right, the bits don't respawn do they?

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 5, 2014

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

laplace posted:

I know that the Moonlight Greatsword has been in the game for forever, I've played all of the KF games and my first souls game was Demon's Souls. Even if Sony owns the property, with the way Fromsoft has incorporated the lore and canon it wouldn't remotely raise concern copyright wise. Even so, until it's outright retconned the implication and lore can be read as such -- specifically when Fromsoft has been outright plaintexting it like that. I don't know the whole copyright implications but if Project Beast actually ends up being Demon's Souls 2 then It's not like From isn't allowed to play with their canon. Picking and choosing what lore and what references mean what while ignoring others just because is sort of a really dumb way to interpret things. Specifically when this game is, as mentioned before, totally about the legacy of history. There are even more links in the chronology -- In Dark Souls 1 the Witch of Izalith having a Witch's Ring from Demon's Souls, Carhillion mentioning that "Before Pyromancy there were Fire Sorceries, but they are long forgotton", etc. That is outright linking the series while From winks at the audience hoping they get it.

Fake edit: Here's where I read about the Shrine of Winter thing. It's from Reddit so take it with a grain of salt, I definitely did.

What witch's ring are you talking about? the ring associated with Izalith looks nothing like the Ring of the Accursed or the Ring of Magical Nature, which are the only two rings in Demon's Souls that I know of being associated with witches. The fire sorceries maybe, but the ring thing doesn't really seem to be the case.

You also mentioned a King's Field 4 level and boss. Which ones are you referring to? I don't remember anything like what you described in King's Field 4. Although certainly the idea of dark as comforting and peaceful is pretty much like it was in King's Field 4.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Reading this thread I realized I'm gonna fight some guy called Old Iron King. I did not expect him to look like that :stare:.

Before I faced him someone in the console thread said he looked and acted like the most video game-esc boss possible, and yep he kind of is.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
900k past amana is super low. I was getting bites at 1.5m.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Drakes posted:

900k past amana is super low. I was getting bites at 1.5m.

Yup I've been through there a couple of times, and there's way more summons there 1.3m and upwards than there is for 600k-1m.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Yodzilla posted:

Aren't the "new milestones" almost all "spend X amount of souls with them?"

No, for the stone merchants it's pretty much entirely "clear a certain area/kill a certain boss/get an important item" etc. Some of the others (Maughlin :argh: ) are like that, but most of them will just give you some kind of free gift for spending with them.

Fister Roboto posted:

This changes everything.

You can also get more than one. I had about 4 rings by the time I finished the game, so when one breaks you can just rotate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh good, Smelter Demon. Yep, that's me cockblocked in two directions.

Using a big slow weapon like the large club/greatsword is getting me killed more often than it saves me with the smashy smashy, but using the mace and club are so... boring, even power stanced. Also, putting magic infusion ('cos I have access to magic weapon and that's about it) on my large club was a mistake; damage feels worse without the enchant, and with it only slightly better.

Thiiink I'm starting to burn out :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Smelter Demon is basically Learn To Dodge No Seriously Learn To Dodge. Heavy anything is pretty awful against him sadly because I agree, smashing things is fun.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Oh good, Smelter Demon. Yep, that's me cockblocked in two directions.

Using a big slow weapon like the large club/greatsword is getting me killed more often than it saves me with the smashy smashy, but using the mace and club are so... boring, even power stanced. Also, putting magic infusion ('cos I have access to magic weapon and that's about it) on my large club was a mistake; damage feels worse without the enchant, and with it only slightly better.

Thiiink I'm starting to burn out :(

You can skip Smelter Demon. Look for a way to shut off the furnace, say around its doors, and you can run through it and just skip straight to the big bad king man.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

TGLT posted:

What witch's ring are you talking about? the ring associated with Izalith looks nothing like the Ring of the Accursed or the Ring of Magical Nature, which are the only two rings in Demon's Souls that I know of being associated with witches. The fire sorceries maybe, but the ring thing doesn't really seem to be the case.[/url]

You also mentioned a King's Field 4 level and boss. Which ones are you referring to? I don't remember anything like what you described in King's Field 4. Although certainly the idea of dark as comforting and peaceful is pretty much like it was in King's Field 4.

The Old Witch's Ring and the Ring of the Accursed both have similar looking strange engravings was the link, IIRC. Back when Dark Souls was released people were all up in arms about it. That and the fact that she also casts pyromancies with a catalyst were the direct links people were referencing.

As for the area, I'm referring to The Widda Palace, with its Widda Queen who is literally just Mytha, down to the arena being similar and the Widda Queen just clearly being Mytha 1.0 design wise. A palace in mines that after being fully mined became poisonous and rotten.

Add that to the fact that The Dark One is just Abyss Nashandra, New Londo is the sunken ruins from King's Field 4 down to the lore (Human Kings, submerged city, Subsumed by Dark), and the four-eyed beast creatures were made by harnessing the "power of the soul" and then were consumed by the dark (I can't remember their names right now, I think Zastari was the one who made them though? The engineer in the Ancient City). There's also like, the outright hilarious verbatim reference to the King's Ring/King's doors. "Produce the Symbol of the King."

It's actually shocking how King's Field 4 Dark Souls 2 is. I replayed KF4 a week before DkS2 came out on console and it was a startling thing realizing that DkS2 was more King's Field than it was Dark Souls 1, though DkS 1 did have its fair share of lifted areas and lore ideas.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TGLT posted:

You can skip Smelter Demon. Look for a way to shut off the furnace, say around its doors, and you can run through it and just skip straight to the big bad king man.

I found that early on, yeah. But if I do that I'll always know that I couldn't beat the big dumb burny bastard, and that just won't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ciaphas posted:

I found that early on, yeah. But if I do that I'll always know that I couldn't beat the big dumb burny bastard, and that just won't do.

Plus there's goodies for melee people that OIK can't match since he's just a macguffin boss.