Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

"The term "cargo cult" has been used metaphorically to describe an attempt to recreate successful outcomes by replicating circumstances associated with those outcomes, although those circumstances are either unrelated to the causes of outcomes or insufficient to produce them by themselves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

this is called infinite scrolling and it is universally reviled by anybody who isn't an idiot web developer

wanna see my favorite implementation of infinite scrolling?

go here

http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=box&sa=

scroll down to the "end" and wait for it to load new items. do this three or four times

ok now try to get to the top of the page

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

go here

scroll down to the "end" and wait for it to load new items. do this three or four times

works for me try using a non-poo poo browser or os

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

do you mean without clicking the button that takes you directly to the top?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sometimes when you scroll to the top the page will snap back down a little ways

sometimes when you scroll to the top it works as intended

sometimes when you scroll to the top all of the loaded content disappears and must be reloaded onscroll

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: ^^^^ yeah

yes. if you click the button it works fine. if you scroll manually, it stops to load new things several times after you reach what you think is the top.

maybe if you have a super duper internet connection it isn't as obvious but regardless it breaks the mapping people already have with "when it stops scrolling, you are at the top"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like how they encode the "page" number in the URL, but they still managed to gently caress up the back button.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ui needs more white space

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I like how they encode the "page" number in the URL, but they still managed to gently caress up the back button.

there are pages that hijack the desktop back buttons to instead navigate to previous page items and forward to go to the next. it was ok as a UI "what if" thought concept but it gets actual use

same thing with forward/backward page swipes

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
your infinite scrolling is a piece of poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

go here

my favorite thing is here: http://popsugar.com

now try to click a link at the bottom. hope you're on a slow link!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I guess that only applies to non-mobile users

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

rotor posted:

my favorite thing is here: http://popsugar.com

now try to click a link at the bottom. hope you're on a slow link!

im really sick of you trying to promote your weblog fucker

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

vapid cutlery posted:

im really sick of you trying to promote your weblog fucker

"man we really need to hire more people, why isn't anyone hitting our 'careers' link??"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

rotor posted:

"man we really need to hire more people, why isn't anyone hitting our 'careers' link??"

there's a lot of potential for advancement from junior hidden markov model headline generator trainer to senior hidden markov model headline generator trainer

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

julian assange, nate silver, john stewart, edward snowden and bisexual ghost of christopher hitchens please reveal the samsung/google press bribery scandal

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PleasureKevin posted:

julian assange, nate silver, john stewart, edward snowden and bisexual ghost of christopher hitchens please reveal the samsung/google press bribery scandal

It is sincerely hilarious that the same people who distrust the Zionist media cabal unironically admit to getting their "news" from another Zionist.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

this is called infinite scrolling and it is universally reviled by anybody who isn't an idiot web developer

it's good that i'm on the right side of the argument for once :)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

madeupfred posted:

It is sincerely hilarious that the same people who distrust the Zionist media cabal unironically admit to getting their "news" from another Zionist.

JEEEEEEWWWWWWSSSSS :argh:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Kirk posted:

i'm starting a social network based on irc. its going to have everyone. if your a freenode freak or an efnet enthusiast its all gonna be there for u. reconnect with lost irc buddies. share quotes and warez. ping friends. it's all waiting for you on irc-u

i know this is from nine pages ago but we had just that in Finland called IRC-Galleria, it started as photos of ircers and then they added a bunch of social stuff and comments and whatever, it was huge for years since everyone could join and 99% people there didn't even really know what IRC was.

then facebook started and welp.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

communism has come close to working pretty well but in every case was crushed from the outside by reality

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but lol for real at the idea of communism "coming close to working"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol forever at the idea that communism has actually be tried before by anyone anywhere

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if my pet utopian ideology turns out to be a piece of poo poo just move the goal posts regarding implementation

see: communists, libertarians

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think it matters as much as you'd expect what governmental model is adopted, but more the cultural norms that determine how it actually functions. The democratic model in Denmark isn't that different than the US in ways, but it functions better mostly because of their norms. If the US were more prosperous country with different norms, the laws and governance may be administered similarly, but the results would be quite different.

It's like anything else it works great on paper and then people just ruin everything.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

google play music station laun

wait... is it working?

is it on now?

no?

how about now? okay? okay

gogggle play music station launches in canada for the people who've never heard of slacker radio or pandora or tunein or fileserv or five hundred other ways to get music and not pay ten dollars a month for hte privilege

because the best way to sell streaming audio is to show you can't play a video at your launch presser

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Broken Machine posted:

I don't think it matters as much as you'd expect what governmental model is adopted, but more the cultural norms that determine how it actually functions. The democratic model in Denmark isn't that different than the US in ways, but it functions better mostly because of their norms. If the US were more prosperous country with different norms, the laws and governance may be administered similarly, but the results would be quite different.

It's like anything else it works great on paper and then people just ruin everything.

communism works, in theory

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rufus Ping posted:

communism works, in theory

in theory, theory and practice are the same

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
communism works in practice just not at a scale that matters.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
people are terrible. i don't know why we keep making more of them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

yes if the us were a tiny monoculture we would probably be able to progress faster

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Communism doesn't work a lot of the time because the humans who implement it/the society which implements is loving retarded.

If you would like an example of this retardation, just look at Google. Look at it's products, look at it's corporate culture, look at it's fans...

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ocrassus posted:

, just look at Google.

man gently caress google

pram
Jun 10, 2001
head on back to gbs fella

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012