Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're both right. Aleut and Inuit people have dozens of words for snow, and so do we. We use them to describe different snow conditions like drift, powder, slush, hail, sleet, etc. Frankly, I'm surprised that we really only have one word for Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

FISH AREN'T BUGS!

Ballard Street

That's a sturdy door frame. Mine can't even support one of those chin up bars. It said right on the box that it wouldn't even touch the moulding. Bullshit.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Wait, what? You guys have another freakin' holiday today? I need to move to the UK.

America doesn't have nearly enough holidays. Happy Cinco De Mayo, by the way.

(English? Fine. English.)

Skippy (February 14, 1927)

Peanuts (May 8, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

The only question here is "How soon is she going guilt the high bidder with her army son?"

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Is that a Mountain Dew hookah?

Pogo (May 7, 1956)

Droodles (May 7, 1956)

Out Our Way (November 28-29, 1924)

The lighter side of convincing a coworker that he's about to be torn limb from limb!

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 5, 2014

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary is a rerun (and I'm officially giving up on Jane's World because gently caress it)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is not Jane. That is....Not-Jane. She and Chelle go on buddy cop style adventures where they also gently caress

It's a flash...something or another. She was bitching about guarding some rich rear end in a top hat at a ski resort, but suprise! It's a woman, and she wants to do it!

So it's like an alternate universe, confident nega-Jane? Or am I pulling a Boss here like in Hamshears. I mostly just enjoy the art in Jane's World so I haven't even tried to piece together what's going on in the sextuple flashback lezstravaganza.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

RandomFerret posted:

Pooch Café

FISH AREN'T BUGS

Excuse you; a well known Fish, the dolphin, has clearly evolved its leathery membranes into fins, but has kept the echolocation of the bat, an indisputable bug. I think it goes without saying that fish and bugs are just two parts of the same family.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The excitement is palpable.

"Olive! The toolshed is locked!"
"?" "?" "?"

*four months later*

"Popeye! I have the key in my pocket!"

The day after: Thimble Theatre Presents: A bag of rice falls over in China

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

So it's like an alternate universe, confident nega-Jane? Or am I pulling a Boss here like in Hamshears. I mostly just enjoy the art in Jane's World so I haven't even tried to piece together what's going on in the sextuple flashback lezstravaganza.
No, it's just that a lot of people in Jane's World have the same head shape. The fifty concurrent plotlines and constant time-jumping don't help either.

Speaking of Ham Shears and the Boss...

The Dinette Set

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, it's just that a lot of people in Jane's World have the same head shape. The fifty concurrent plotlines and constant time-jumping don't help either.

That's Jill. She looks sorta like Jane, just not as tomboy-ish. Her and Chelle are on again off again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane%27s_World#Jill

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Good grief.

Bloom County

You know, it's nice when the aliens take the time to plan before they show up and have to improvise.

I guess this doesn't really stack up to covering Sean Penn.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's Believe It Or Not

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EasyEW posted:

America doesn't have nearly enough holidays. Happy Cinco De Mayo, by the way.

England only actually gets eight national holidays a year, slightly fewer than America. It just feels like loads right now because most of them are in April and May.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

The original text was a translation from the Urantia Book, as one reader helpfully pointed out, so no translation on my part necessary this time!

Fingerpori.org has a comment section where people generally just post their lovely ideas. This Kuuluvainen fellow in particular has distinguished himself in that regard and I guess Jarla finally snapped.

Fok_It

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 5, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

Go gently caress yourself, Mike.

Wait, you're just going to let a baby wander into the tool shed unsupervised? You are the worst parents.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Green Intern posted:

Fish, the dolphin

:eng99:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Yeah, yeah, but bats are definitely bugs.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

What does this mean? It's like a corrupted computer formula - (cultural reference) + (aimless resentment) + (holiday reference) = strip y/n???

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Did we find out what Popeye's last name was?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Eh get to Tommy already.

Rex Morgan MD

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Kelly is getting paid with an rear end whoopin' today. :black101:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 28-29, 1924)

There's poison in that meat, isn't there. I mean, look at that expression.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RandomFerret posted:

They're both right. Aleut and Inuit people have dozens of words for snow, and so do we. We use them to describe different snow conditions like drift, powder, slush, hail, sleet, etc. Frankly, I'm surprised that we really only have one word for Dog Comix.

Hound Strips, Pooch Funnies, Mutt Toons, Man's-Best-Friend Caricatures.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Calaveron posted:

Hound Strips, Pooch Funnies, Mutt Toons, Man's-Best-Friend Caricatures.

Don't forget Poodle Doodles and Doberman Pictures!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
So the concept of humorously modifying comics seems to go back a ways (before photoshop even!). My wife is a comic book collector (not the Funky Winkerbean dude's style, only Disney comics), and she bought a lot of about 100 comics in an eBay auction. Buried in the comics were two really old MAD magazines. One from September of 1958, and the other from August 1959. They're pretty shot, heavily worn, and the 1958 issue has no cover, but were fun to read nevertheless. They dicked around with comics of the period in the 8/59 issue, and I instantly thought of you guys, and this thread. I've scanned them (poorly, sorry, I'm horrible at scanning), so here are 3. Personally, I don't think they're super funny, but, hey, it's related to the thread I guess...

Oh, they're loving huge, so all are timg'd and obviously, click for gigantic...

Little Orphan Annie

I laughed at this one because of all the dumb poo poo Daddy Warbucks is doing in the background. Classic MAD.

Mandrake

Lothar being an rear end in a top hat. :v:

Dick Tracy

This cracked me up the most because of all the absurd "Dick Tracy Style Labeling". I have no idea who that engineer-like dude is.

There are 5 more, and I'll post them later. Gotta go weld a thing.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Apple Mary
You'll have to forgive some missing strips - my sources aren't all that reliable.

12/6/34

12/7/34

12/8/34

You should have entered that Picture Coloring Contest.

Fritzi Ritz
6/7/27

Wally's a cheap son-of-a-bitch:

6/8/27

6/9/27

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Still sucks

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Put him where he belongs.

Sorry, not putting more effort into this than Lester puts into his strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Trent posted:

Still sucks

Thirty years later, Mike Lester was found buried in a New Mexico landfill under ten tons of overused clip art.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stop degrading Atari's ET The Extra-Terrestrial.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

A quick glance at the comments section indicates that the fact that Tiff is the only one not being sarcastic makes her the bitch. (It also indicates that the commenters at GoComics aren't great at detecting sarcasm. Or that I'm giving Luann and her pals too much credit for not being brain-damaged.)

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

And whatever Gerald is. :)

The Amazing Spider-Man

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

I had a nun teacher who looked like Sister Binks. Just about as mean too.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Somebody upthread pointed out that Lost Side's updating again, so we're going to twice a day or else we'll never catch up.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

I hope Bud never becomes gluten intolerant. Poor kid's nothing but a carbo-junkie.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin

Mmmm, sweet, delicious flour.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, you take what you can get after the apocalypse. :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Why does Brooke insist on using Dutch angles in a wholly inappropriate manner?is it because he's a terrible human being? :iiam:

It's because after God knows how many years drawing comic strips he still has no idea how to use the space he has efficiently.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

I've said it in previous threads and I'll de-lurk to say it again: Dinette Set owns. It is full of disgusting deplorable people and if I wanted to explain the ugly and ignorant side of America to someone I would use this comic as the example. Always post it. It is amazing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

A quick glance at the comments section indicates that the fact that Tiff is the only one not being sarcastic makes her the bitch. (It also indicates that the commenters at GoComics aren't great at detecting sarcasm. Or that I'm giving Luann and her pals too much credit for not being brain-damaged.)
I took a look at the Luann comment section out of morbid curiosity and uh... the fan reaction is nearly identical to Retail's. Like, the same blind agreement with the author's opinions and cheering on the rear end in a top hat protagonists being assholes and getting away with it. And the fan hatred toward Tiffany is nearly identical to what Josh gets. It's freakin' uncanny.

Retail really is just Luann in a department store. The biggest difference is that Luann has a lot more fans. I guess Norm Feuti will forever live in Greg Evans' shadow as master of rear end in a top hat protagonists comics.

Gil

I've posted this one before and I vividly remember how Volume thought it was hilarious. If he were still posting here today he'd probably laugh again.

Retail

Sadly, 39,873 of those are from a botnet in Indonesia.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Truly, a species whose craftiness is worthy of Slylock Fox's master super sleuthing.

Dustin

You know, there are some Dustin storylines I wouldn't mind having developed more. Like where and how he gets all these nameless girlfriends. But bad celebrity jokes really don't need to be drawn out for days.

On the Fastrack

And why do 80% of our tickets originate from your IP address?

Safe Havens

Since the age of 6 you've lived, eaten and breathed basketball...every waking moment was dedicated to practicing, working out, media appearances, agent meetings, and carefully tailored schedules. Now, at the ripe old age of 26, you'll have to find something completely new to do! So uh...how 'bout Mars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

You know, there are some Dustin storylines I wouldn't mind having developed more. Like where and how he gets all these nameless girlfriends. But bad celebrity jokes really don't need to be drawn out for days.

What's with her expression in the final panel? UNF. Such a weird comic, especially when they go demon black eyes.

• Locked thread