Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I thought it was protests -> lull later on (with VR talking about someone taking photos of the building) -> attack. Like the attackers didn't use the protests as cover or anything but given the timeline you could feasibly attribute it to that shitbag video as a highly ranked possibility among a handful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
No justice for Cecily McMillan - guilty of felony assault at an OWS protest because a plainclothes police officer grabbed her breast from behind and she elbowed him in response.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/05/67308/cecily-mcmillan-verdict?collection=207
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-trial-of-cecily-mcmillan/

We live in a police state

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well, for one thing, Vilerat posted about how he could see and hear the protesters from his office window, and this was way before the attack. I'm not sure why he'd lie about that.

The State Department said in a later report that there was no protest.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/10/officials-no-protests-before-benghazi-attack-137978.html

I remember reading about Smith's correspondence (including the infamous "taking pictures" message) and it seemed like the mob he referred to WAS the attacking mob.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Defenestration posted:

No justice for Cecily McMillan - guilty of felony assault at an OWS protest because a plainclothes police officer grabbed her breast from behind and she elbowed him in response.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/05/67308/cecily-mcmillan-verdict?collection=207
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-trial-of-cecily-mcmillan/

We live in a police state

Remember that just recently a bunch of protesters aimed weapons at the police and federal agensts and had nothing happen to them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LorneReams posted:

Remember that just recently a bunch of protesters aimed weapons at the police and federal agensts and had nothing happen to them.

In a desert 100 miles from a city.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Install Windows posted:

In a desert 100 miles from a city.

Backed by the Right Wing Machine...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

LorneReams posted:

The difference of course, was they were right-wing protesters, who are typically handled delicately or not at all.

I do wonder however, at what point it becomes worth it to start throwing bottles, bricks and "repatriated" tear gas canisters back at the police. They're going to attack and beat on left-wing protesters anyway right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StarMagician posted:

There's a lot about this that bothers me, but this is the biggest thing: what evidence is there that any protests took place in Benghazi at all? We know they were happening in other countries, but saying there's a protest in Benghazi because there's one in Cairo is like saying "they're occupying Wall Street so they must be occupying Miami too."

I don't why it bothers you, the CIA gets poo poo wrong, a lot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hobbesmaster posted:

The protests were over when the attack happened iirc. It seems a very reasonable thing for people on the opposite side of the world to be confused about.

Nope. Obama Lied, they decried.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't why it bothers you

Obama is the president.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Talmonis posted:

The difference of course, was they were right-wing protesters, who are typically handled delicately or not at all.

I do wonder however, at what point it becomes worth it to start throwing bottles, bricks and "repatriated" tear gas canisters back at the police. They're going to attack and beat on left-wing protesters anyway right?

The difference was these were armed protesters regarding a popular issue in the media at the moment in an election year with a partisan mood and the shooting of a bunch of cattle ranchers (who, left- or right-wing, are deified by many Americans to the point of giving the military a run for their money) would not look good for government PR.

Versus one random woman in an already-disgraced movement. This isn't "the police just leave right-wing protesters alone," I'm sorry but that just sounds petty.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Amergin posted:

The difference was these were armed protesters regarding a popular issue in the media at the moment in an election year with a partisan mood and the shooting of a bunch of cattle ranchers (who, left- or right-wing, are deified by many Americans to the point of giving the military a run for their money) would not look good for government PR.

Versus one random woman in an already-disgraced movement. This isn't "the police just leave right-wing protesters alone," I'm sorry but that just sounds petty.

Quick, name a rightwing protest that was broken up by riot police/tear gas. Bonus points if you can name one with a sexual assault by said police.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kalman posted:

Just to be clear, there were 9 votes for the idea that legislative prayer is okay; the dissent just felt that the town needed to be more inclusive in the concept of legislative prayer, not that the concept was unconstitutional.

So does "Freedom of religion" NOT mean freedom from religion?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OAquinas posted:

Quick, name a rightwing protest that was broken up by riot police/tear gas. Bonus points if you can name one with a sexual assault by said police.

Name a right wing protest that didn't scrupulously stick to the prevailing local laws, exactly as their corporate funders demanded.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Amergin posted:

Counterpoints:

What would the response had been if OWS protesters had exercised their second amendment rights?

When has protest from a right wing group been met with police in riot gear, just as a precaution?

If OWS had directly threatened a federal officer with an organized militia, would they have let them have their camping gear back and let them go?

There is a significant difference in responses to protests depending on what ideology they represent. ignoring that is just being obtuse.

Install Windows posted:

Name a right wing protest that didn't scrupulously stick to the prevailing local laws, exactly as their corporate funders demanded.

Cliven Bundy isn't a someone who follows any laws it seems.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 5, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

The Brooks Brothers Riot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Install Windows posted:

Well the Bundy protest for one, with the militias setting up roadblocks and pointing guns at federal agents.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

OAquinas posted:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore/harford/news/ph-ag-state-police-settlement-0418-20120416,0,7005224.story

But Install Windows was right in mentioning the difference in the protests' makeup of protesters and willingness to obey local laws.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Sword of Chomsky posted:

There is a significant difference in responses to protests depending on what ideology they represent. ignoring that is just being obtuse.

So, for one thing, you're equating "OWS" with "all left-wing ideological protests" and, for another, you're equating all left-wing protests as being equal, regardless of the actual topic being protested.

I bet you police won't respond to a pro-choice rally in riot gear. But it's a left-wing protest and apparently for me to think otherwise is just me being obtuse.

EDIT: I apologize for the double-post... not sure if I can delete this post and merge the two or not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Cliven Bundy isn't a someone who follows any laws it seems.

He's about as much a "protest" as 9/11.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the idea that a left wing protest like Bundy's would get slaughtered, like the feds are super worried about the optics of gunning down right wingers but left wingers are fair game.

Yea man, if you start a loving armed stand off with the cops, hide behind women and children, and get major political support behind you, you're probably not gonna get gunned down.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Amergin posted:

So, for one thing, you're equating "OWS" with "all left-wing ideological protests" and, for another, you're equating all left-wing protests as being equal, regardless of the actual topic being protested.

I bet you police won't respond to a pro-choice rally in riot gear. But it's a left-wing protest and apparently for me to think otherwise is just me being obtuse.

How about May-day walks for labor rights? Pretty much all the recent walks were met with police prepared in riot gear despite having permits. here is an example from 2012

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/police-put-on-riot-gear-as-may-day-protests-turn-up-the-heat-.html

I guess the moral is that if you want to protest, just come armed and the police will leave you alone!

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 5, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

He's about as much a "protest" as 9/11.

Another right wing protest.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Install Windows posted:

If only OWS protested from their lawnchairs and rascal scooters.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think it's just easier to teargas unarmed civilians than blood-gargling psychopaths with more firepower than the police. :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doctor Butts posted:

And you know, only sticking around for like 5 hours once every 8 months or so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea or showed up for just a few hours and had a bunch of political personalities surrounding them with cameras and PR experts.

God drat it's almost like the contexts were actually super different.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also, the Bundy situation is technically still ongoing. At some point they may need to make some arrests or ensure that roads are passable, if those blockade rumors have anything behind them.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

OWS should get a permit pretending to be a tea party group.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, the Bundy situation is technically still ongoing. At some point they may need to make some arrests or ensure that roads are passable, if those blockade rumors have anything behind them.

This too, basically talking about 'the bundy situation' as of now as being handled too lightly is basically saying you wanted the cops to gun some stupid white people down and the women they proudly hid behind. The situation is still happening and yea, a bunch of fuckin crazy morons with guns have to be treated with some care.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Zombie Samurai posted:

I think it's just easier to teargas unarmed civilians than blood-gargling psychopaths with more firepower than the police. :shrug:

If it was just a matter of firepower, then we would have seen a bunch of battered protesters during those protests during the government shutdown that trespassed on closed government land.

The real thing is that the people who protest left-wing causes are easy to stereotype as hippies. Hippy punching is practically considered a national pastime at this point, and grandpa punching is not, which is why a bunch of trespassing lefties get gassed and battered while trespassing right-wing protesters are left alone.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This too, basically talking about 'the bundy situation' as of now as being handled too lightly is basically saying you wanted the cops to gun some stupid white people down and the women they proudly hid behind. The situation is still happening and yea, a bunch of fuckin crazy morons with guns have to be treated with some care.

I think they are handling it the way they should, but you can't deny that it sheds light on a huge enforcement disparity. Nobody wants to see any situation, wether it be OWS or Occupy Cattle Land, end with violence. The difference is when the authorities are willing to use violence as a tactic seems to be reserved for those dirty hippies.

^^^ similar point made.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah man, those darn unarmed students need to just shut up and obey their betters. Haven't they learned their lesson by now that they are naught but mud to be ground under the feet of Men of Action?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The real reason is there were way more people protesting across a much larger time period, which resulted in more chances for a cop to whack a guy or two. We're talking hundreds of cities for months at a time, and especially over time you started to have real unbalanced types joining up who were practically cop bait.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Install Windows posted:

The real reason is there were way more people protesting across a much larger time period, which resulted in more chances for a cop to whack a guy or two. We're talking hundreds of cities for months at a time, and especially over time you started to have real unbalanced types joining up who were practically cop bait.

Stop making excuses for them. They already are immune to prosecution, they don't need apologetics from anyone else. The police in this country get off on beating and murdering college students. I don't see it changing any time soon.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Talmonis posted:

Stop making excuses for them. They already are immune to prosecution, they don't need apologetics from anyone else. The police in this country get off on beating and murdering college students. I don't see it changing any time soon.

We're all very impressed at how much you've won the Outrage About Cops contest. You can stop now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Talmonis posted:

Interesting strawman collection you have there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

It's not excuses to state why a thing happened. When you have month long protests all over the nation, some of which getting pretty aggressive without any police factor, yea chances are there's gonna be more issues popping up than a few hour long corporate sponsored 'we're mad at the black guy' party starring multiple politicians and 'celebrities'.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

We're all very impressed at how much you've won the Outrage About Cops contest. You can stop now.

Yeah, nice "outrage about murder" you loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Install Windows posted:

You know...it wasn't just a few 'bad apple' cops taking random whacks at "a guy or two." It was actually a systematic, coordinated response organized by very powerful people (who happened to be conservative-Democrats or Republicans). You see it happen at world trade conferences, Occupy, and other leftist protests, but strangely never at a Nationalist gathering like the Tea Party protests. It is remarkable, really...

• Locked thread