Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I figured he was asking for a VLP since he mentioned youtube and giantbomb's endurance run. And sadly there's none in that regard that I can recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poorlyplayed
Aug 29, 2013
Yeah niggurath I was looking for a mainly vlp since the persona games have so much depth to them I like to play them in the background. Shucks.

*Eta: I like persona 4 but would really like to see persona 3 since I've already enjoyed p4 with giant bomb.

poorlyplayed fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 3, 2014

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I believe SA LPers tend not to do VLPs of most JRPGs because dialogue's usually heavily text-based and there's a lot of repetitive combat that wouldn't be that interesting to watch. Not universally true, for sure, but most SMT games certainly fit the bill.

poorlyplayed
Aug 29, 2013
Yeah I can definitely agree with that, I really like hearing the voice acting and seeing some of the game mechanics in real time though. Plus the playing in the background/general laziness thing makes vlps nice:) Just got to find someone with the patience to do the whole game. I've always assumes videos are easier to create than screenshots; just got to find something to fill all that empty time in games like rpgs though.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

poorlyplayed posted:

Yeah I can definitely agree with that, I really like hearing the voice acting and seeing some of the game mechanics in real time though. Plus the playing in the background/general laziness thing makes vlps nice:) Just got to find someone with the patience to do the whole game. I've always assumes videos are easier to create than screenshots; just got to find something to fill all that empty time in games like rpgs though.

The only LP'er I know off that has done VLP of Persona 3 and 4 is this guy on Youtube called Superjeenius, both of which can be found here and here.

I'll warn you, I haven't watched his stuff in years but his commentary is what you'd expect of a YT Let's Player. But give it a listen and see if it's what your looking for.

poorlyplayed
Aug 29, 2013
Thanks return, I had checked that out from the lp archive I think, and I agreed with your thoughts. If anyone else is looking for a p3 lp, I scoured YouTube and gave up. Thanks everyone for your recommendations

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

poorlyplayed posted:

When it comes to RPG's and pretty much everything he does, NakaTeleeli Is a YouTuber I'd recommend, he has a very laid back commentary style and usually shares his thoughts on scenes and things going on as well as doing a pretty good job explaining things. He does co-commentary stuff with his buddy a lot and their Persona 4 LP was both interesting and very entertaining. Out of most people these guys are probably the most laid back and normal people so I'd give some of his stuff a chance for sure.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
If you want a VLP of a long JRPG, You can't go wrong with TippingForties' Tales of Symphonia or Final Fantasy X LP.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lps aren't fun for me unless the person doing the LP likes the game. The 'let's poo poo on this game for 50+ hours' LPs I never really got.

There aren't enough ridiculously long VLP of RPGs in my opinion. I know it's not the preferred format and all but damned if I don't like em.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The Tales of Eternia LP is a VLP, and they like the game. But they edit out most of the random encounters and boring stuff, therefore it's not super long, so I guess that's not quite what you're referring to.

(Then again, the fact they do edit out all the chaff is what makes it a good LP, so...)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh now editing is great, SA quality good stuff. It's more that I like VLP RPGs and they tend to be 40+ parts of 30 minute videos. So even edited they are very long. I'll check that one out.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
A decently long VLP of a JRPG is Bobbin Threadbare's lp of Rogue Galaxy.

I really liked it since he had someone (Kalon Zombie) with him who didn't know the game and was the "viewer" for it.

Fake edit: 128 parts! I didn't think it was near that long

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Strong Mouse posted:

A decently long VLP of a JRPG is Bobbin Threadbare's lp of Rogue Galaxy.

I really liked it since he had someone (Kalon Zombie) with him who didn't know the game and was the "viewer" for it.

Fake edit: 128 parts! I didn't think it was near that long

Only 69 including all the sidequest videos and the April Fool's. Each episode is between 2-4 videos each. I really need to get to uploading the commentary-light videos since Blip took them down.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Agent355 posted:

Oh now editing is great, SA quality good stuff. It's more that I like VLP RPGs and they tend to be 40+ parts of 30 minute videos. So even edited they are very long. I'll check that one out.

There is also BrainWeasel's excellent FF12 IZJS LP: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-XII-International-Zodiac-Job-System/
One of the highest quality LPs I've seen.

Declarative
Jun 15, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

Kind of an extension of a question I asked in the sandcastle:

Anyone here know any good Japanese LP's(obviously off-site)? All I can find are gimmicks(the guy who acts like an old man or the guy who sticks his head in an aquarium whenever Mario is underwater) or YouTube scarecam LP's of slender. Considering how many games exist that never made it out of Japan I'm hoping that there's a subdivision of 実況's that is somewhat more like the SomethingAwful approach, but I might be a bit too optimistic.

I know this was asked literally half a year ago, but the likelihood of having another chance to recommend this guy is approaching zero so here goes. Check out Kirin's Namari-Jikkyou: http://kirinbun.blog83.fc2.com/

He has a great, calmingly deep voice and (outside of the Trials LP) rarely ever raises his voice / screams / etc. He is exceedingly competent at most of what he plays, and is pleasant and entertainingly goofy. He does, however, have one gimmick -- he mostly plays horror games and tries to make them approachable, so he'll announce when jump-scares are coming and will screw around with "tense" moments; most notably, he fast-forwards the dull ghost fights in ZERO/Fatal Frame and adds Ghostbusters or Matrimelee music over it, but I find it endearing. It's also kind of cool to watch him play Western-only releases like Silent Hill: Homecoming and speculate on why they didn't make it to Japan.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'd like to recommend TheMcD's LP of the German-only RPG-Maker game "Unterwegs in Düsterburg". He's translating the game into English as he goes.

It's a neat and surprisingly well done JRPG made by a German dude roughly ten years ago when creating RPG-Maker games was incredibly popular in German-speaking online communities, and this is probably the only way most English speakers are going to experience it. Check it out if you like SNES-era style JRPGs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, for real, TheMcD is doing a great job on a pretty fun game, check that out if you have fond memories of the 16 bit era.

Heaven Carousel
Sep 24, 2008

Beddy Bye
Hi all,

I've been having a really awful time in my life these past few weeks, so I'm looking for some LPs in the vein of the Men Drinkin' Coffee or when Retsupurae do their longplays, where it's low-key humour, maybe making fun of the game, but not like Pewdiepie-esque where it's just shouting and randomness, so 'SA quality', I guess.

I've probably seen most of the stuff of that type on SA unless it's from a really long time ago, so I also don't mind YT recommendations as I really loved Spoiler Warning (which was mentioned earlier), the Persona run by Giantbomb and some of the non-Minecraft Yogscast.

I know I'm kind of shooting in the dark here a little bit cos I've been around the LP forums for years, but I'm kind of hoping someone throws up a hidden gem that I've missed.

Genre and length doesn't matter. Thanks in advance! :)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Heaven Carousel posted:

Genre and length doesn't matter. Thanks in advance! :)
Are you aware of SGF's youtube channel? He's not really a hidden gem, just wondering because the only thing he lately posts on SA is his heavily edited and thus very sparsely updated MODE LP, although you might remember him from his Illbleed or Deadly Premonition threads.

He's got a large volume of bad to very bad games on XBLIG or other platforms (most short, some longer) he mocks in a wonderfully dry fashion. He only does solo commentary - unlike the examples you mentioned, so maybe his style isn't at all what you are looking for - but he's consistently been one of my favorites when it comes to making watching horrible games enjoyable. His MDickie stuff is probably the most fun anyone has ever had with those games.

Disclaimer: Some of the longer games like 999 or VLR fall a bit too far outside of my interest range so i can't speak for those.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 5, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Disclaimer: Some of the longer games like 999 or VLR fall a bit too far outside of my interest range so i can't speak for those.

Speaking as a guy who enjoys said longer games enough that I have an 89-page-as-of-right-now document summarizing the events of VLR for stream watchers who need a refresher, they're okay, I guess.

Definitely follow the saga of Bully Demise though, it's loving incredible.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any good VLPs that have developers either playing or commentating? Watching the Overlord 1+2 stuff is funny, especially with them having the guy who designed the boat-travel system on, to reveal that 'yeah... it looks really complicated and like it's really tough physics, right? It's actually just programmed to rock left and right a little. The math's so basic a fifteen year old could do it.'

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I can't link to it because I'm at work right now but there's a YouTube LP of Ratchet & Clank 2 and 3 done by a couple guys who worked on both of the games. I found them quite enjoyable barring some technical problems here and there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KittyEmpress posted:

Are there any good VLPs that have developers either playing or commentating? Watching the Overlord 1+2 stuff is funny, especially with them having the guy who designed the boat-travel system on, to reveal that 'yeah... it looks really complicated and like it's really tough physics, right? It's actually just programmed to rock left and right a little. The math's so basic a fifteen year old could do it.'

Hideki Kamiya did an LP of Bayonetta. There's also a camcorder LP of Conker's Bad Fur Day by some guys from the former Rare.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

I can't link to it because I'm at work right now but there's a YouTube LP of Ratchet & Clank 2 and 3 done by a couple guys who worked on both of the games. I found them quite enjoyable barring some technical problems here and there.

Is it this one? They have a link to the playthrough of 3 in the description of that video as well, which is here.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
any really good 4 player co-op lps? I have already seen Skippy Granola's Magicka and both Left 4 Dead LPs on the archive.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

mateo360 posted:

any really good 4 player co-op lps? I have already seen Skippy Granola's Magicka and both Left 4 Dead LPs on the archive.

Borderlands was Pretty Okay.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

mateo360 posted:

Not Co-op in the correct sense, but check out Maxwell Adams run of New Super Mario Brothers.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

Is it this one? They have a link to the playthrough of 3 in the description of that video as well, which is here.
Yep, that's the one. Worth watching, in my opinion, if you enjoy the R&C games.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Not Co-op in the correct sense, but check out Maxwell Adams run of New Super Mario Brothers.

In the same vein, pokecapn, Kung-Fu Jesus, MyNameIsKaz, and medibot did lps for Zelda: Four Swords Adventures and Mario Party.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Got a link to that Overlord LP?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lizard Wizard posted:

Got a link to that Overlord LP?

Here you go.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
ProfessorProf is doing The Banner Saga and has been asking the thread for guidance on the larger decisions we've had so far. The Banner Saga, written by SA's Chewbot (Animal Crossing), was one of those wildly successful Kickstarter games that has completely realized and released their game. Chewbot has even popped up a couple times to talk a little about the game, though nothing too in depth yet.

Not really a suggestion for you KittyEmpress since it's a SSLP, but a recommendation for anyone not currently following it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2014

poorlyplayed
Aug 29, 2013

Heaven Carousel posted:

Hi all,

I've been having a really awful time in my life these past few weeks, so I'm looking for some LPs in the vein of the Men Drinkin' Coffee or when Retsupurae do their longplays, where it's low-key humour, maybe making fun of the game, but not like Pewdiepie-esque where it's just shouting and randomness, so 'SA quality', I guess.

Back on page 115 I posted this:
I'm looking for narrated VLPs that focus on the game & are being done for enjoyment. Hosts who are mature, and can be any combination of informative/funny/entertaining. Have very low tolerance for youtube divas, forced jokes/personalities, and people who are recording just for money/attention. Production quality isn't a big deal. I really like seeing a background knowledge/history of the game or gaming in general. Don't really have a preferred genre of games, but do like learning about historically significant/revolutionary games and watching someone who is good at the game.

Some LPs/LPers that I like:
ResearchIndicates (a given)
Supergreatfriend (Deadly Premonition, Illbleed, 999, etc. Beginning to feel a bit forced with chat [VLR])
Chewbot's Oregon Trail SSLP & Animal Crossing (The added sound/visuals made them easier to get through than most SSLPs I've tried to read)
SSOHPKCs Super Mario ROM hacks (back in the late 2000's when he bitched about Target, haven't kept up since then)
Errant Signal (not LPs, but the commentary is interesting)
Brickroad (Watched Myst, stayed for the 150% stuff)
Spoony's Phantasmagoria (some of the other stuff feels forced)
Giantbomb's Persona 4 Endurance Run was relaxed & fun to watch even if it was marketing
NorthernLion (mostly quality stuff if sometimes a bit bland)
DocFuture's Sonic
Ambisagrus (introduces a lot of games I'm not familiar with. Not so much a fan of the scripted & co-commentated stuff)
The 7th Guest (think it was Angryponcho, but I'm not a fan of most of his other stuff)

Basically looking for some interesting individual/unique LPs to watch that don't pander to the masses of youtube and instead just do what they personally enjoy. Any thoughts? Hope I've shared some new content too

Durden77 is also a cool guy I liked the Diddy Kong racing lp he made. Also if you like technical stuff abom79 and matthias (wood gears) are awesome (but not lps).

Here's to time healing all wounds (:

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

If you haven't already seen it, Squint's Demon Souls Lp is excellent. In fact is so good that I would recommend it to anyone.

(I'm sure its been brought up here before, but not since I started following the thread)

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Onean posted:

The Banner Saga, written by SA's Chewbot (Animal Crossing),

Wait, what?

Is this a real thing

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Onean posted:

ProfessorProf is doing The Banner Saga and has been asking the thread for guidance on the larger decisions we've had so far. The Banner Saga, written by SA's Chewbot (Animal Crossing),

You're making GBS threads me.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Nope, it's real! He was posting in the Banner Saga thread over in Games pretty regularly! :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Also, from the LP thread:

Chewbot posted:

Thanks and you're welcome! Stoic only has three developers, I did all the writing and design. Anyone wondering why I haven't written any LPs for the last three years can blame The Banner Saga.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm amazed people didn't know this. Chewbot's, like, one of the biggest badasses this subforum has ever produced. I mean that literally, he got on the path he was on because he did such an amazing job on Animal Crossing from my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What, seriously? I knew he worked with Bioware and on the Banner Saga, but I wasn't aware it was Animal Crossing that got him started.

• Locked thread