Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Unless you get enough strength to get a shield that can just tank him. :rolleyes: Unless you have perfect dodge timing (which is impossible online, and not demanded in any other fight in the game) or said shield Smelter Demon is crazy bullshit.

You don't need perfect dodge timing unless you have low Agi. With 100 or close to 100 Agi he's fairly easy to dodge.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNUSO7Rn1c

Elysiume posted:

Four Kings you basically couldn't dodge or run away because you had to maximize DPS over all else. I'd say that Four Kings is the single worst fight in DS1/DS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZqPCwFpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanos posted:

400 damage on a spell with 6-8 shots is really, really bad compared to 400 damage on a spell with 12 or more and better range in the same slot, especially given what other pyromancy is capable of putting up for the same cost in slots. Fireball/Fire Orb are pretty much terrible.
Considering how much less you need to invest into them for their results, they're not nearly as bad as they could be, though. As a ranged fall-back option for melee characters they do fine.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Elysiume posted:

Four Kings you basically couldn't dodge or run away because you had to maximize DPS over all else. I'd say that Four Kings is the single worst fight in DS1/DS2.

This isn't true at all. The Four Kings don't immediately converge on you all at once when a new one shows up. You actually have a very forgiving time frame until a second one joins the fight. All you need is a good weapon (and wouldn't you believe it, the very large ember is in New Londo) and you can dodge through their attacks, then follow-up reliably, killing one before the second gets in.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Elysiume posted:

The old 4chan strategy image may be of use

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Robot Randy posted:

Lighting spear pretty handily stretches and lubes their buttholes

I apparently went the wrong way since the only spells I've seen so far are Soul arrow and great soul arrow and while they're perfectly fine on killing most things between bonfires they're a bit poo poo for bosses. At least I might find better in Heide's tower

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Smelter Demon is guaranteed to kill you at least once during your Dark Souls II career, with his delayed explosion thing. But then you should never be hit by it ever again. I'm not sure if that's a decent fight mechanic or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Smelter Demon is guaranteed to kill you at least once during your Dark Souls II career, with his delayed explosion thing. But then you should never be hit by it ever again. I'm not sure if that's a decent fight mechanic or not.

The "greatest" thing about sunbroing for Smelter is when you get a host who gets hit by that, survives, heals up, gets hit later in the fight, then usually dies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah. Because of that, Dark Souls co-op reminds me of my World of Warcraft raiding days.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Genocyber posted:

You don't need perfect dodge timing unless you have low Agi. With 100 or close to 100 Agi he's fairly easy to dodge.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNUSO7Rn1c

Yep, died to every single one of these :saddowns: Not even for lack of trying! I hate shields, just... you miss one dodge, and you're probably goddamn dead. :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jay Rust posted:

Co-oping with my friend, our 2nd run on smelter, friend got hit by his AOE on the first run -

Smelter turns his belly fire on
Friend: HE'S GONNA EXPLODE RUN AWAY
Smelter fire seppukus himself
Friend: HE'S GONNA EXPLODE RUN AWAY
Smelter leaps up in the air and slams down his sword, I run away
Smelter explodes and kills my friend, who was just sitting there whacking away at him :psyduck:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got killed by the Smelter Demon blast more than once because I didn't quite roll far enough while trying to get away and it hit me between rolls :saddowns:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I did Smelter last night and that thing is bullshit, I get that it goes off when he's burning and does a big jumping attack, but sometimes it goes off and sometimes it doesn't?

In saying that, it was a pleasant change since before that I'd done Medusa, Covetous, Skeleton Lords, who were all pretty easy walkovers compared to the bosses before them like the 3 Sentinals or Pursuer.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Jay Rust posted:

The really strange thing is he doesn't seem to always actually cast it when no targets are in range.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Calidus posted:

The really strange thing is he doesn't seem to always actually cast it when no targets are in range.

I got Smelter Demon in one try and he never did an explosion attack with me (probably the only reason why I didn't die).

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
look at all you scrubs, I beat Smelter Demon on my 2nd or 3rd try :smug: then I died to Old Iron King about 30 times

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Yep, died to every single one of these :saddowns: Not even for lack of trying! I hate shields, just... you miss one dodge, and you're probably goddamn dead. :(

If you keep your HP at full (and your max HP isn't reduced) you should always be able to survive at least one swing unless you have really low max HP, which means you have time to heal. He isn't like other bosses that can combo you to death.

Rudager posted:

I did Smelter last night and that thing is bullshit, I get that it goes off when he's burning and does a big jumping attack, but sometimes it goes off and sometimes it doesn't?

Which is why you don't approach him until he does the blast or starts to pick his sword up.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Y'all should try and attack Licia if you want to see what really awful "blast" type attacks can do. Smelter got nothing on her. :allears:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Y'all should try and attack Licia if you want to see what really awful "blast" type attacks can do. Smelter got nothing on her. :allears:

Yeah she's great. "Oh hey, I died so fast I didn't even see what she did exactly."

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I tried summoning Lucatiel to help out with Smelter Demon once. This weekend.

She showed up along with a Sunbro and I was all like "Praise the Sun!" Sunbro was too.

Lucatiel couldn't have given less of a crap about the sun, turned 90 degrees without warning, and just walked straight into the lava with no prompting, from me, Sunbro, or any nearby living mob.

That's when I realized I could care less about getting her stupid armor.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What are some good weapons to use as a dex character? I was/am using a falchion but I hate how it's durability sucks.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Mordiceius posted:

What are some good weapons to use as a dex character? I was/am using a falchion but I hate how it's durability sucks.

The Estoc loving rules

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Skilleddk posted:

look at all you scrubs, I beat Smelter Demon on my 2nd or 3rd try :smug: then I died to Old Iron King about 30 times

Hello, twin. Come. Come accidentally roll into the small lava pool to the right of the entrance constantly with me.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Memnaelar posted:

That's when I realized I could care less about getting her stupid armor.

She's far too useful for that fight due to her massive tanking ability. It's okay though if you find a human one though. Gyrm Greatshield users be the best.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Robot Randy posted:

The Estoc loving rules

That scales better with strength than dex though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Robot Randy posted:

The Estoc loving rules
The Estoc is actually a strength weapon in terms of scaling, a high C on strength and a low D on dexterity.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I think Smelter would have been a lot more tolerable and perhaps even fun to learn if there weren't 500 Alonne Knights in the way during the run back.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

laplace posted:

New Londo fell to the Dark because they wanted power, and so did the Ancient city -- The Dark wasn't just a spout of evil, The queen was pushed to seek it, and the engineer was interested in it. It's all the same story there.

It might be because I played on the PAL translation, but from what I remember of the text you can find in the sunken city is that they didn't go for power but loved the Dark in a religious sense. It was peaceful and calm and all that. Kind of like the King admitting that they were obsessively chasing the light to the point it hosed everything up, and it was pointless because the Dark just grew stronger in response. But again, the PAL translation has poo poo like "Manual Axe" and "Speed Pounder" and all the elf people are "Forest Babes" so that might have bee mistranslated.

I don't know which translation this video is but it seems like I'm remembering the details of the sunken city well enough. I think the Widda Queen came after all of that? I don't know if it's ever really established which happened first.

Man you moved like rear end in that game.

Bomb rear end spooky time music though.

Mordiceius posted:

Some of the halberds are dex heavy. Syrian's is the best one that I can think of.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 5, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Hello, twin. Come. Come accidentally roll into the small lava pool to the right of the entrance constantly with me.

Can I come too if I got knocked into the lava several times by one of his obviously telegraphed attacks? :downs:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Why the gently caress did they get rid of the red eye orb. This duel system loving sucks. I take 3 to 5 minutes to even get a challenger, then when I do, the lag in the duel makes it so they have magical 1 foot longer blades, or they just stand still and I die :11tea:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

The only true dex build is to give up on it and go Str mace. Otherwise, I hear Ricard's Rapier is okay.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

All this Smelter Demon talk is baffling to me. I mean, I get that he's killing people, but I've never seen it happen. Killed him on two chars as host and a ~4-5 times as phantom. I haven't seen a single player die to him yet. Just 1 guy tanking and me firing lighting spears at him until he dies. Attacks that are easily rolled. He seemed like an easy boss compared to OIK or Pursuer, which some other people just steamroll.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How did the horse statues in King's Passage go from doing 10% of my health a swing to 60? I just wanted to pass time while waiting for the mirror squire stuff! :gonk:

e: Haha got someone.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 5, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TGLT posted:

I dunno. The hood and robes look fairly different on the statues. The Garl Vinland lookalike is also way later in the game. Might be intended as a callback anyways though. At least, it's not as clear as the big ol' king ring doors.

It's almost like you can do a callback without literally suggesting X Thing exists in Y Universe.

pmchem posted:

All this Smelter Demon talk is baffling to me. I mean, I get that he's killing people, but I've never seen it happen. Killed him on two chars as host and a ~4-5 times as phantom. I haven't seen a single player die to him yet. Just 1 guy tanking and me firing lighting spears at him until he dies. Attacks that are easily rolled. He seemed like an easy boss compared to OIK or Pursuer, which some other people just steamroll.

You can't seriously be suggesting Smelter Demon is an easier boss than the Pursuer. You cannot be a real person.

Anyway, there's a large cross section of people who go "Man I don't know why everyone says X is so hard" and people who use magic extensively. Nine times out of ten, the people getting their poo poo wrecked aren't using magic at all.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Kimmalah posted:

Can I come too if I got knocked into the lava several times by one of his obviously telegraphed attacks? :downs:

Let's all have a party when he does his split-fire breath attack. I don't think I've dodged that even once :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's almost like you can do a callback without literally suggesting X Thing exists in Y Universe.

As much as I like the Souls games and the lore there is it does get annoying this absolute need fans have to tie EVERYTHING ever together to something from a past game.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Help me pick a build, goons!

What I like:

-The Drangleic sword, and then I found the Claymore. Then I found the Sun Sword which is great, but I hear the Mastadon Greatsword is comparable without requiring high Str/Dex, which is tempting. I've never found infusion to be particularly helpful, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

-Jack of all Trades, I like casting spells but when I tried to respec my blind-run character it seemed underwhelming, low-damage. Was I just missing some necessary trick?

-I usually run sword and board, but I'm also happy with dodgetanking the bosses and just not getting hit. As long as I don't have to worry about mobs ganging up on me, I should be happy. I don't care about my armor but it's easy enough to fall into a 'high str, might as well spec to wear Havels' mindset that I'm trying to avoid.

The MLGS sounds tempting but I have no idea if it's still good after the nerf, and if so what build that actually entails (crystal infusion if I remember correctly?).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tracula posted:

As much as I like the Souls games and the lore there is it does get annoying this absolute need fans have to tie EVERYTHING ever together to something from a past game.

The 40 minute youtube lore videos are coming from inside the thread!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

No death run attempt #5: I'm real far got like 3 bosses to go in just over 7 hr and am inevitably going gently caress it up, you can cheer or jeer at me here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

Are the shield + pike enemies in Forest of Fallen Giants at the very beginning of the game kinda bugged? For some reason their shields seem to block way more than they should even in mid attack and when they're not raised.
Not a bug. Entirely a mechanic you don't know about.

Spears and pikes are unique in that you can attack while still shielding. All other weapons force you to drop shield on attack animation. :eng101:

Try it out yourself, you can be a spartan and hide behind a shield while stabbing, your shield counts as fully up the whole time. But you go through stamina really fast.

The thing to do against those enemies is use the guard break attack (forward + R1 at the same time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

Smelter Demon's attacks have good tracking, wide arcs/reach, and he tends to delay sometimes so you roll right into them. That makes him bullshit. OIK is easy to predict and avoid since he makes it fairly obvious when his fists are about to slam into the ground or he's about to breathe fire.