Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Atoramos posted:

-Jack of all Trades, I like casting spells but when I tried to respec my blind-run character it seemed underwhelming, low-damage. Was I just missing some necessary trick?
Upgrading your catalysts. Upgrade level matters way more than stats do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

pmchem posted:

All this Smelter Demon talk is baffling to me. I mean, I get that he's killing people, but I've never seen it happen. Killed him on two chars as host and a ~4-5 times as phantom. I haven't seen a single player die to him yet. Just 1 guy tanking and me firing lighting spears at him until he dies. Attacks that are easily rolled. He seemed like an easy boss compared to OIK or Pursuer, which some other people just steamroll.

I don't get why people have a bigger problem with Smelter Demon than Pursuer either. He's fairly easy to dodge and has no quick attacks to catch you off guard. Pursuer is faster and has this annoying dash + horizontal swipe attack that is very fast and has an annoyingly subtle tell.

I rarely bothered 'tanking' bosses and relied mostly on dodging so that may be the reason.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

QuantaStarFire posted:

Smelter Demon's attacks have good tracking, wide arcs/reach, and he tends to delay sometimes so you roll right into them. That makes him bullshit. OIK is easy to predict and avoid since he makes it fairly obvious when his fists are about to slam into the ground or he's about to breathe fire.

Chances are I might just be bad at videogames but his hitboxes feel really loving off as well. Not quite Plesioth hip-check levels of hosed but close.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone noticed that sometimes the game refuses to switch your weapons out? It's kind of annoying because it leads to me trying to hammer on it to switch to the right catalyst, and it just doesn't happen. Then I get smacked in the face.

e: Argh, lances have such a giant hitbox. And everyone has their magic and fire resist gear on today.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

Smelter Demon's attacks have good tracking, wide arcs/reach, and he tends to delay sometimes so you roll right into them. That makes him bullshit.

No, that makes him difficult.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cardiovorax posted:

Upgrading your catalysts. Upgrade level matters way more than stats do.

Yea my catalysts were +10, is there any specific catalyst/infusion combo or gear that's specifically great? And is there a good build that throws some melee into that mix?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, is there any lore behind black gultch? I remember reading some stuff in-game about how it's where all the waste ends up (in what is surely a throwback to world 5 in DeS), but the whole place has a heartbeat and who the gently caress put all those statues there?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Atoramos posted:

Yea my catalysts were +10, is there any specific catalyst/infusion combo or gear that's specifically great? And is there a good build that throws some melee into that mix?
Dark Sunset Staff + Great Resonant Soul + Abyss Ring is murder. 1600+ damage per attack.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, is there any lore behind black gultch? I remember reading some stuff in-game about how it's where all the waste ends up (in what is surely a throwback to world 5 in DeS), but the whole place has a heartbeat and who the gently caress put all those statues there?

I figured that The Rotten did since you see him assembling them as the fight starts and the things litter his chamber up quite a ways.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Dark Sunset Staff + Great Resonant Soul + Abyss Ring is murder. 1600+ damage per attack.

GRS needs a chime to cast.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ekster posted:

I don't get why people have a bigger problem with Smelter Demon than Pursuer either. He's fairly easy to dodge and has no quick attacks to catch you off guard. Pursuer is faster and has this annoying dash + horizontal swipe attack that is very fast and has an annoyingly subtle tell.

I rarely bothered 'tanking' bosses and relied mostly on dodging so that may be the reason.

Yeah, same. OIK has a small platform and if you go in blind will catch you with a move or two. Pursuer has so many attacks and charges that it drains a lot of stamina to roll them (if you're not pumping END) and it's hard to maintain range, especially in the optional fight where you gotta do it solo. If you can't stand up tank a dude I think those bosses are harder than Smelter, who is easier to keep range on / roll / have a phantom tank. To each their own challenges!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wiseblood posted:

GRS needs a chime to cast.

The Black Witch Staff will do it too, surprisingly enough.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

well! either I was overlevelled as poo poo, or using Lucatiel as a tank while I fling magic at him made the Flexile Sentry fight a joke.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
My first hate mail after over 100 invasions! I didn't think anyone on the PC would actually do it. Anyone else made anyone mad enough to leave a comment on their steam profile?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tracula posted:

I figured that The Rotten did since you see him assembling them as the fight starts and the things litter his chamber up quite a ways.

He doesn't really assemble it very well. I figured he liked them but he sure doesn't seem capable of actually making one.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ulvir posted:

well! either I was overlevelled as poo poo, or using Lucatiel as a tank while I fling magic at him made the Flexile Sentry fight a joke.

Flexile being so easy with at least 1 other phantom around is like your reward for clearing that entire level with no bonfire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much attenuation are you other mages ending with? I'm going to 50, so with the ring+1 I can have 10 slots and go with whatever, but I have int at 40 and faith at 24 that way at level 145. Should I keep it at 40 and just pump int up instead? I doubt I'll get enough int to use soul shower.

Bloodmobile posted:

My first hate mail after over 100 invasions! I didn't think anyone on the PC would actually do it. Anyone else made anyone mad enough to leave a comment on their steam profile?

Sadly no, but I don't think it occurs to most people.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ulvir posted:

:ssh: Flexile Sentry is a joke with or without Lucatiel.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Black Witch Staff will do it too, surprisingly enough.

The Black Witch is a chime/staff hybrid, so it can cast basically anything that uses them as a catalyst - hexes, sorceries, and miracles.

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah, even with a sorceror all I had to do was circle and block with a shield until it was finished with its attacks. One of the few bosses where I didn't need to summon a human shield.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

masato tatanka posted:

No death run attempt #5: I'm real far got like 3 bosses to go in just over 7 hr and am inevitably going gently caress it up, you can cheer or jeer at me here.

Man, I turned away for five minutes after you got to the top of dragon shrine and missed it :(

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Bobnumerotres posted:

Maybe the heart beat

*thunder cracks*

IS YOUR OWN!!!!

E: to change my bitching about duels, looks like those ones i listed were exceptions, and I just needed to learn how to play. Now I'm the rear end in a top hat :getin:

mystical 10 foot long rapiers are neat though :saddowns:

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 5, 2014

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Yodzilla posted:

I'm going to puke trying to watch this video what in the world is going on.
I suspect that's Youtube's notoriously lovely auto stabilize at work.

That's clearly a diggle on the fifth one.

EvilCornbread posted:

For any Dota fans, got summoned into this guy's game last night. Pretty awesome.

DOTA Souls. Dendi is the Solaire figure. The Ring of Whispers becomes the Ring of Screams, hear the Korean announcers yell at you about everything you've missed and your six million dollar dream home burning down.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

He took for-loving-ever to beat down with my melee character though.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Merrill Grinch posted:

Man, I turned away for five minutes after you got to the top of dragon shrine and missed it :(

went to roll out of the Giant Lord's first swing and a fireball stopped me in my tracks, What a shame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
gently caress, I made it Undead Purgatory with only like 50k SM but can't even get into the Chariot fight. I heard you could just sprint past the 4 tall guys but they always catch up and kill me while I try to pass through the gate, probably because my stamina is so low. Now I have to figure out a way past them that doesn't involve just killing them.

I just want my great scythe dammit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

gently caress, I made it Undead Purgatory with only like 50k SM but can't even get into the Chariot fight. I heard you could just sprint past the 4 tall guys but they always catch up and kill me while I try to pass through the gate, probably because my stamina is so low. Now I have to figure out a way past them that doesn't involve just killing them.

They are super easy to backstab if you manage to pull them one by one. Grab a dagger and get to it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Some of those statues are also in Doors of Pharros for some reason (in Gavlan's room).
The heartbeat(s) is actually from the poison statues. Turn your camera against a wall next to one for max spooky.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Internet Kraken posted:

You cannot just run past them. They will murder you. Trust me. The pause in getting through the fog wall will get you dead every time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

It might just be a reference to Shadow tower Abyss. The green glow and mysterious heart beat are both in the beginning portion of the tower.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Artificer posted:

You cannot just run past them. They will murder you. Trust me. The pause in getting through the fog wall will get you dead every time.

You can. You have to jump to a ledge next to the bridge and wait for them to bad AI their way to suicide by backing up away from you...and off the bridge. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Broken Cog posted:

They are super easy to backstab if you manage to pull them one by one. Grab a dagger and get to it.

Oh I can kill them just fine, I just didn't want too because I'm trying to leave myself as much SM room as possible. Ultimate goal of this character is to PvP at Looking Glass Knight without having it ruined by high SL players trolling it. As such, I'm keeping my SM extremely low to ensure I can get to the optimal SM range for the fight, whatever that is.

...and maybe I'll invade some low level players too so people are reminded that you're never safe. I mean my character is based of Sigmund from Crawl, if I didn't kill some hapless newbies it just wouldn't be right. I guess I'll just genocide the tall dudes for their red eye orbs.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
If I'm only dipping into Faith, is it worth RAWing a chime?

I may use some Skeptic Spice to lower a nice spear to my stupid faithless heathen level.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dandywalken posted:

Do folks who rock that ring just replace the Ring of Binding with it?
Why use the Ring of Binding when you can just assist to get full health again?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Skeptic Spice is really nice for buffs and anything that doesn't scale since you don't need the higher faith for the scaling.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Zaphod42 posted:

Not a bug. Entirely a mechanic you don't know about.

Spears and pikes are unique in that you can attack while still shielding. All other weapons force you to drop shield on attack animation. :eng101:
That's not entirely true with those early game spearmen; they've got a shield-bash attack that looks like it leaves them wide open but actually still counts as them blocking, as far as I can tell.

Mordiceius posted:

What are some good weapons to use as a dex character? I was/am using a falchion but I hate how it's durability sucks.
I've had decent success with the Heide Spear, but then again it's lightning infused so it's more of a faith weapon at this point. :v:

Speaking of dexterity weapons, is there a reason why some of the daggers only scale a tiny bit with strength, by the way?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elysiume posted:

Why use the Ring of Binding when you can just assist to get full health again?

If you're using a Ring of Life Protection regularly, it all kind of becomes irrelevant because you won't go hollow when you die as long as you keep it repaired. Being cursed is the main thing to worry about at that point and it's easy to avoid.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Mordiceius posted:

What are some good weapons to use as a dex character? I was/am using a falchion but I hate how it's durability sucks.

I'm using the Arced Sword. It has a heavy bit of STR investment (26!) but it scales off of Dex with a B.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
What's the best stat layout for Hex? I'm sorta interested about tossin some of them into the mix.

Also, magic mace +10 with greater magic weapon :getin:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

holy poo poo thats amazing

I'm holding off GeDoSaTo for another week to make sure theyre not being retarded about VAC here or until FROM makes a statement, but as soon as I install it that'll be the next mod I pick up.

"check out my hilarious video compilation of idiots getting killed by smelter haha"

ignore most of them making it pretty far against the buffed up smelter demon while their sunbro stands around doing nothing to specifically put them into a compilation video of idiots dying. :psyduck: well no poo poo they died

at least the dark souls tradition of lovely music and monkey cheese anime clips lived on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

"check out my hilarious video compilation of idiots getting killed by smelter haha"

ignore most of them making it pretty far against the buffed up smelter demon while their sunbro stands around doing nothing to specifically put them into a compilation video of idiots dying. :psyduck: well no poo poo they died

at least the dark souls tradition of lovely music and monkey cheese anime clips lived on

Heeeere comes the fun police.