Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

DesperateDan posted:

Didn't they already rabble rouse about dropping the minimum wage in the tabloids about it (standard water testing device) a few times before quietly dropping it?

A bit of googling indicates that Dominic Raab floated the idea of dropping it for under 21s but that went nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I can see no problem whatsoever with privatizing the organization that has the final say over the ownership of all land in the country.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Sorry Sir; I think you find that you don't own the land that your house is on: Land Registry Services Ltd (a Tesco company) found that we own it and can build a supermarket on it. Now get off my land, or we'll charge you with trespassing!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

I can't remember but did the Major government have a going out of government sale, everything must go! bout of privatisations when the writing was on the wall?

I know that they had just presided over a devaluation of the pound, the popping of a property bubble, a monumental amount of sleaze and had privatised BR, but did they try and rush through anything else before the election in May '97?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

I can see no problem whatsoever with privatizing the organization that has the final say over the ownership of all land in the country.

The power of enclosing land and owning property was brought into the creation by your ancestors by the sword; which first did murder their fellow creatures, men, and after plunder or steal away their land, and left this land successively to you, their children. And therefore, though you did not kill or thieve, yet you hold that cursed thing in your hand by the power of the sword; and so you justify the wicked deeds of your fathers, and that sin of your fathers shall be visited upon the head of you and your children to the third and fourth generation, and longer too, till your bloody and thieving power be rooted out of the land.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

General China posted:

The price of pharmaceuticals and drugs continues to amaze me. Take for example paracetamol. Cheapest are tablets you swallow, next most expensive is intravenous paracetamol ( in a large glass vial with a handy doo-dad you can use to hang it from a drip stand ) and the most expensive form of paracetamol is suppositories.

I cannot see how this works. Surely making a tablet and suppository should be a similar price- the inert base used for both must be a similar price. Unless glycerol is amazingly expensive. Surely manufacturing IV drugs with the glass involved and the more stringent needs for sterility would result in a higher price than something you could literally shove up your arse. But it does not.

What is economy of scale? Alex.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

General China posted:

The price of pharmaceuticals and drugs continues to amaze me. Take for example paracetamol. Cheapest are tablets you swallow, next most expensive is intravenous paracetamol ( in a large glass vial with a handy doo-dad you can use to hang it from a drip stand ) and the most expensive form of paracetamol is suppositories.

I cannot see how this works. Surely making a tablet and suppository should be a similar price- the inert base used for both must be a similar price. Unless glycerol is amazingly expensive. Surely manufacturing IV drugs with the glass involved and the more stringent needs for sterility would result in a higher price than something you could literally shove up your arse. But it does not.

Economies of scale. The cost is in setting up the manufacturing, how often do people take paracetamol via the rectum?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

General China posted:

The power of enclosing land and owning property was brought into the creation by your ancestors by the sword; which first did murder their fellow creatures, men, and after plunder or steal away their land, and left this land successively to you, their children. And therefore, though you did not kill or thieve, yet you hold that cursed thing in your hand by the power of the sword; and so you justify the wicked deeds of your fathers, and that sin of your fathers shall be visited upon the head of you and your children to the third and fourth generation, and longer too, till your bloody and thieving power be rooted out of the land.

What's that from?

(Unless you wrote it, in which case bravo sir)

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

ThomasPaine posted:

What's that from?

Gerrard Winstanley.

"That we must neither buy nor sell. Money must not any longer (after our work of the Earths Community is advanced) be the great god that hedges in some and hedges out others, for money is but part of the Earth; for after our work of the Earthly Community is advanced, we must make use of gold and silver as we do of other metals but not to buy or sell."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ThomasPaine posted:

What's that from?

(Unless you wrote it, in which case bravo sir)

God wrote it. (It's paraphrasing the bit in Exodus where God forms the covenant with Moses to return the Holy Land to the Hebrews)

e: ^^That makes sense^^

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

God wrote it. (It's paraphrasing the bit in Exodus where God forms the covenant with Moses to return the Holy Land to the Hebrews)

All radical thought at that time was in relation to religion. Its the only reference point that people had, and I prefer to read in the social context rather than anything theological.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEv3LpXNX8U&list=RDOA4FTIz2Zrw

For anybody interested, this is the best book to read about the English Revolution;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-World-Turned-Upside-Down/dp/0140137327

General China fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 6, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Anyone talking about how Royal Mail aren't allowed to send faeces to UKIP clearly hasn't been watching Love for Sale.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's the same difference, when you're talking about General China.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Anyone talking about how Royal Mail aren't allowed to send faeces to UKIP clearly hasn't been watching Love for Sale.

Because Postmen clearly don't want to be carrying around boxes of badly sealed poo poo?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fluo posted:

Because Postmen clearly don't want to be carrying around boxes of badly sealed poo poo?

You clearly haven't been watching Love for Sale.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Fluo posted:

Plz dont kink shame

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TinTower posted:

You clearly haven't been watching Love for Sale.

I've heard of mail order brides, but that's ridiculous.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Could anyone expand on Britain First being literal blackshirts? A few people on my Facebook occasionally like their stuff and I'd like to be able to point out that they're literally liking Nazi propaganda, since they're honestly a bit too thick/indoctrinated to respond to evidence and argument, but being told the people they agree with are actual Nazis might just work. Thanks

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Maybe have a flick though here http://www.britainfirst.org/publications-library/ and see what jumps out at you.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It certainly all jumps out as horrible shite but I can't see anything explicitly Nazi, as would be recognised by your average pub racist. Thanks anyway though, I should probably be doing my own research anyway. It's incredibly depressing how popular that Facebook page is. Went on a date with a guy the other day and then saw he'd liked one of their things. :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Civitas is now saying we derive no trade advantage from being in the EU. They fiddling the numbers, or is thi legit? Because it seems to fly in the face of our current understanding of European trade.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Their whole thing is ooga booga muslims "othering" them, a crusade to "Take Back Britain" (from whom?) and bring back hanging for people we don't like (i.e. anyone who isn't christian).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Britain First is a BNP splinter group. Everyone's aware the BNP are Nazis, right?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Privatising the land registry. Aka one of the few government agencies to make a consistent profit.

LOL.

LOOOOOOOOOL.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Lord Twisted posted:

Privatising the land registry. Aka one of the few government agencies to make a consistent profit.

LOL.

LOOOOOOOOOL.

Well it's a nice change from selling the unprofitable parts to yourself for the purpose of stripping and flipping. This way the private companies might keep it intact for five minutes and take some profit home before the firesale!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Spangly A posted:

"A British court somehow found someone not guilty of Libel for once, but now that they're not in a position to respond because of extraneous legal matters I will make defamatory remarks and insinuate their guilt out of spite"

We all already knew he needed a good solid brick to the face but what a loving wanker.
That article does suggest the whole thing was a clusterfuck of rarely-seen proportions, though. Is it even legal for a judge to preside over a case when she's friends with the participants?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Zephro posted:

That article does suggest the whole thing was a clusterfuck of rarely-seen proportions, though. Is it even legal for a judge to preside over a case when she's friends with the participants?

I have no idea but it absolutely shouldn't be.

Yeah, it was a clusterfuck. He's mad that the jury had to be sent home because they were loving idiots and he was desperately banking on them getting him off through sheer incompetence, though. That was his only hope. As it was the judge simply said "gently caress this, none of you are fit to ever do jury service, gently caress off" and decided against trial by jury.

He's now trying to make this out to be a big deal but statistically speaking, jury trials are primarily used by guilty people hoping that a lack of legal knowledge will help their case. They're a waste of time. The talk of conspiracy is bollocks, there's no evidence that it was a malicious WOMANPLOT against him.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Briscoe wasn't presiding though, was she? Just a witness for Vicky Pryce?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Zephro posted:

As I remember it, yes, it's perfectly legal, a judge can recuse him/herself if they feel they have a conflict of interest, and either side could file an appeal based on their feeling that there was a conflict of interest, it would then be up to another judge to decide if there was, or was not, and whether that is sufficient to consider the judge's verdict compromised. But there's no inherent illegality of any bias by the judge.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

SybilVimes posted:

As I remember it, yes, it's perfectly legal, a judge can recuse him/herself if they feel they have a conflict of interest, and either side could file an appeal based on their feeling that there was a conflict of interest, it would then be up to another judge to decide if there was, or was not, and whether that is sufficient to consider the judge's verdict compromised. But there's no inherent illegality of any bias by the judge.
That's interesting. Feels like a much more lax standard than you'd get in many other professional occupations, though I don't know that for sure.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zephro posted:

That's interesting. Feels like a much more lax standard than you'd get in many other professional occupations, though I don't know that for sure.
Yeah, like the banking sector and politics for instance.. :suicide:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zephro posted:

Usually a judge will raise the fact that they're acquainted with anyone involved in the case pre-trial, it's only if the parties have any objections that they'd recuse themselves

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh look, Grayling is being reprehensible again.

quote:

Before 2001, the US did not have a problem with rape and sexual assault inside its prisons. That was not because nobody was raped, of course. It was because there had never been a research study large enough and dependable enough to produce any measure of the nature and size of the problem. Federal and state authorities could, therefore, simply avert their gaze and insist there was no need for action.

The complacency was shattered with the publication of a detailed report by Human Rights Watch entitled No Escape: Male Rape in US Prisons. Built upon hundreds of first-hand interviews, the book-length report explained in gut-wrenching detail the realities of prison rape: from one-on-one night-time cell assaults, to multiple-offender gang rapes, to the inmates who were sold to others as sex slaves. It described younger, weaker, more psychologically vulnerable inmates being coerced into sexual activity, under threat of physical violence. Most damningly, the report alleged that much of this was being tacitly condoned and sometimes apparently approved by prison staff and management, who considered it a routine part of prison life and saw no need to intervene.

No Escape was shocking enough to shake America out of its indifference. Two years later, Congress passed the Prison Rape Elimination Act 2003, which became the first stage in a decade-long effort to understand and address the horrors of sexual offending inside US jails – a mission that is still far from complete.

In 2014, Britain does not have a problem with rape and sexual assaults within our prisons. The Ministry of Justice appears determined to keep it that way. How? By seemingly doing everything in its power to block a research programme covering the issue, by the Commission on Sex in Prison. This was set up by the Howard League for Penal Reform in June 2012, at a time when Kenneth Clarke was minister.

Under the notoriously draconian stewardship of Chris Grayling, researchers have now been banned from approaching prison governors or serving prisoners, including those out on licence. This means no prisoner serving a life or indeterminate sentence is permitted to participate in the research and for those on licence, even volunteering to give evidence could be regarded as a breach of conditions, which could be punishable by a recall to prison.

The explanations offered for the obstruction range from the asinine to the bizarre. Grayling, we are told, is in something of a huff with "leftwing pressure groups" such as the Howard League – which has recently coordinated effective campaigns against restrictions on parcels containing such dangerous contraband as clean underwear, children's home-made birthday cards and books. Blocking this important research may be an act of petty retaliation.

Also mooted is the justice secretary's well-established discomfort with the whole issue of sex behind bars, including the provision of condoms on request through prison health dispensaries. The remit of the Commission on Sex in Prison (as the name suggests) goes beyond coercion and violence, and investigates other crucial health and welfare-related issues.

So far, the response from the Ministry of Justice to these allegations, first raised by the website politics.co.uk and fleshed out in the Independent newspaper, has been a strict refusal to comment. Grayling has urgent questions to answer: what cooperation with the commission has been offered, and what has been withdrawn? On what basis? What alternative steps will the government take to quantify and address sexual abuse within prisons?

It is a dreadful indictment of our society and culture that prison rape is considered an inconvenience to politicians, a punchline for comedians or, worst of all, as just deserts for criminals. Whenever a high-profile trial results in a prison sentence, a significant section of the population seems to take sadistic glee in imagining a male offender being raped in prison. Often the comments and jokes seem almost automated and thoughtless, like saying "bless you" after a sneeze. One hopes such remarks are based more on ignorance than malice. That said, it would be harsh to condemn ill-informed members of the public for their ignorance, when it would appear that the ignorance of the government and the secretary of state is entirely avoidable.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just putting some washing out, and the Queen is in town today. I could hear them at the Cathederal belting out God Save the Queen. Gawd bless ah, Makes you prahd, etc. :britain:

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Here's an interesting article from the Guardian by George Monbiot which raises a few interesting points regarding one of our favourites, G4S:

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/05/britain-land-of-impunity-fat-cats-politicians?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Welcome to Britain, the new land of impunity

Monday 5 May 2014

What do you have to do to fall out of favour with this government? Last month, the security company G4S was quietly rehabilitated. It had been banned in August 2013 from bidding for government contracts after charging the state for tagging 3,000 phantom criminals. Those who had died before it started monitoring them presented a particularly low escape risk. G4S was obliged to pay £109m back to the government.

Eight months later, and before an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office has concluded, back it bounces seeking more government business. Never mind that it almost scuppered the Olympics; never mind Jimmy Mubenga, an asylum seeker who died in 2010 after being "restrained" by G4S guards, or Gareth Myatt, a 15-year-old who died while being held down at a secure training centre in 2004; never mind the scandals at Oakwood, a giant prison it runs. G4S, described by MPs as one of a handful of "privately owned public monopolies", is crucial to the government's attempts to outsource almost everything. So it cannot be allowed to fail.

Was it ever banned at all? Six days after the moratorium was lifted, G4S won a contract to run HMRC services. A fortnight later it was chosen as one of the companies that will run the government's Help to Work scheme. How did it win these contracts if in the preceding months it wasn't allowed to bid?

When I first worked in Brazil in the late 1980s, the country was widely described as o pais da impunidade – the land of impunity. What this meant was that there were no political consequences. Politicians, officials and contractors could be exposed for the most flagrant corruption, but they remained in post. The worst that happened was early retirement with a fat pension and the proceeds of their villainy safely stashed offshore. It is beginning to look a bit like that here. This is not to suggest that the people or companies I name in this article are crooked or corrupt; it is to suggest that the political class no longer seems to care about failure.

The failure works both ways, of course. As Polly Toynbee has shown, the Help to Work pilot projects, which G4S will run, reveal that it is a complete waste of time and money. Yet the government has decided to go ahead anyway, subjecting the jobless to yet more humiliation and pointlessness. Contrast the boundless forgiveness of G4S to the endless castigation for being unemployed.

A record of failure reflects the environment in which such companies are hired: one in which ministers launch improbable schemes then look the other way when they go wrong. G4S had to pay back so much money for the phantom criminals it wasn't monitoring because it had been doing it for eight years, and no one in government had bothered to check. There is no such thing as failure any more, just lessons to be learnt.

Accountability has always been weak in the UK, but under this government you must make spectacular efforts to lose your post. At the Leveson inquiry in May 2012, the relationship between the then culture secretary Jeremy Hunt and the Murdoch empire that he was supposed to be regulating was exposed in gory detail. He was meant to be deciding impartially whether to allow the empire to take over the broadcaster BSkyB, but was secretly exchanging gleeful messages with James Murdoch and his staff.

We all knew what it meant. The emails, the Guardian observed, were likely to "sever the slim thread connecting Hunt to his cabinet job". "After this he's toast … it's over for Hunt," wrote Tom Watson MP. Ed Miliband said: "He cannot stay in his post. And if he refuses to resign, the prime minister must show some leadership and fire him." We waited. Hunt remained culture secretary for another four months, then he was promoted to secretary of state for health.

On 2 September 2012, the Guardian revealed that the housing minister, Grant Shapps, had founded a business that "creates web pages by spinning and scraping content from other sites to attract advertising" – a process that looks to me like automated plagiarism. He had been promoting it under the false name of Michael Green, who claimed to be an internet marketing guru. Again it looked fatal. Two days later, in the same reshuffle that elevated Hunt, he was upgraded to Conservative party chairman.

A real Mr Green – Stephen, this time – was ennobled by David Cameron and appointed, democratically of course, as minister for trade and investment. In July 2012, a US Senate committee reported that while Lord Green was chief executive and chairman of HSBC, the bank's compliance culture was "pervasively polluted". Its branches had "actively circumvented US safeguards … designed to block transactions involving terrorists, drug lords and rogue regimes".

Billions of dollars from Mexican drug barons, from Iran and from "obviously suspicious" travellers' cheques "benefiting Russians who claimed to be in the used car business" sluiced through its tills. Out went dollars and financial services to banks in Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh linked to the financing of terrorists. The Guardian reported that HSBC "continued to operate hundreds of accounts with suspected links to Mexican drug cartels, even after Green and fellow executives were told by regulators that HSBC was one of the worst banks for money laundering."

Green refused to answer questions and sat tight. He remained in post for another 17 months, until he gracefully retired in December 2013.

After it had become obvious to almost everyone that it was impossible for them to remain in the cabinet, Cameron refused to sack either Liam Fox or Maria Miller. Forgiveness and redemption by all means, but they are not unconditional: without contrition or even acknowledgement that wrong has been done, there is no difference between giving people a second chance and engaging in an almighty cover-up.

There has seldom, in the democratic era, been a better time to thrive by appeasing wealth and power, or to fail by sticking to your principles. Politicians who twist and turn on behalf of business are immune to attack. Those who resist are excoriated.

Here's where a culture of impossible schemes and feeble accountability leads: to cases like that of Mark Wood, a highly vulnerable man who had his benefits cut after being wrongly assessed by the outsourcing company Atos Healthcare as fit for work, and starved to death – while those who run such companies retire with millions. Impunity for the rich; misery for the poor.

I was going through it trying to find choice quotes to highlight in bold but realised I would have ended up bolding the entire article. It's pretty much summed up in the last sentence though; impunity for the rich; misery for the poor.

So...when does the revolution start?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Donut posted:

Never. It will be a shoddily-made G4S boot, outsourced to stamp on a human face forever (although after a few weeks they'll stop bothering to do the actual stamping and will just claim they are in the statistics they submit to the government, since they'll get paid either way).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

The Donut posted:

:laffo:

We've been devoiced and disarmed, and you think there will ever be a revolution?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
General China is moving out already

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Anyone who can do so, jump ship now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

"We don't want to make inroads into the core of the estate," he said.

"And we don't want to have to evict tenanted farmers and other tenants and what have you from their houses so we can sell them."

I won't bother making a bet that whoever buys the place will do exactly that in order to turn a quick profit; nobody here would take it.

• Locked thread