Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

thefncrow posted:

You could completely ignore Occupy and you still have an upsetting level of police violence toward left-wing protests, ones that do not last for much longer than the right-wing protests I'm using as comparisons.

What happened to Occupy is not a deviation from the norm, it is the norm.

Right wingers rarely protest, they at most show up to a speech. Meanwhile left wingers actually, you know, do stuff ever.

One of these things makes it way easier for a cop to have an excuse to do something.

Defenestration posted:

It's not a protest vote. if enough people actually voted for politicians that represented their interests then progressive parties would be viable

Yes if 50% of the people in an election voted for them or even actually supported the majority of their policies, which never happens, so it's a huge loving if.

Strategic voting isn't a theory or a belief, it's a provable fact with first past the post.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I wasn't there, naturally, but that incident barely escalated beyond "collective temper tantrum". Trying to compare that to a demonstration on the scale of OWS, or even much less durable demonstrations such as at G8, is laughable on its face.

Some people are shocked a fat old man pushing over an unsecured fence like you'd use at TImmy's Bar Mitzvah gets treated different then a bunch of people sitting around for days or months at a time. It's weird.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

There are way more right-wing women than right-wing PoC, so I think that answers that question.
80% of the minorities that voted in 2012 voted for Obama, 55% of the women. I can only imagine the reaction if a woman of color gets up there in the nomination process.

edit: not that one of us will ever be president in my lifetime :smithicide:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
So have we gone from an argument that Left and Right protestors aren't treated differently;
to an argument that they may be treated differently;
because they deserve to be treated differently?

Because that is funny poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boon posted:

Wait, the one where a Congressman was there surrounded by old rear end war veterans who proceeded to move the barricades? That's what you're going to go with?

Yeah, cops that aren't being paid are unlikely to give a gently caress about a few people standing around a congressman and twice as many TV reporters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pohl posted:

So have we gone from an argument that Left and Right protestors aren't treated differently;

In the same sense of "an orange is not as sweet as an apple, therefore the oranges are being discriminated against".

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Name three Republicans who would be bearable in the White House.

Jon Huntsman
Fred Karger
Gary Johnson

And maybe Rand Paul.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Not to mention all those juicy lower court appointees, agency heads, and other non elected officials

But please tell us how your protest vote is going to change the world man.

I'll vote for Rand Paul so he can raze the government to the ground, allowing Democrats to rebuild it in a slightly efficient form, for once.

EDIT: This protest discussion is turning into a pissing match of who deserves pity the most and obviously the elephant-in-the-room answer is Native Americans.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

Because that is funny poo poo.

Do you have a strawman fetish or what?

"Right" protestors almost never actually do a protest. Filing into a pre-arranged media event and leaving after a few hours can hardly be called a protest.

Amergin posted:

Jon Huntsman
Fred Karger
Gary Johnson

And maybe Rand Paul.

I'll vote for Rand Paul so he can raze the government to the ground, allowing Democrats to rebuild it in a slightly efficient form, for once.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 6, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Amergin posted:

Jon Huntsman
Fred Karger
Gary Johnson

And maybe Rand Paul.

Excuse me while I vote for the suffering of hundreds of millions of people just in the hope that democracy will rise from the ashes like a phoenix.

Accelerationism is something teenagers dream about. In reality it is just, to borrow an apt line, a boot stomping on the human face, forever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I mean there's a reason why in every single piece of media ever made the people who say "the world needs to burn and be rebuilt from the ashes" are all 100% crazy.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Excuse me while I vote for the suffering of hundreds of millions of people just in the hope that democracy will rise from the ashes like a phoenix.

Accelerationism is something teenagers dream about. In reality it is just, to borrow an apt line, a boot stomping on the human face, forever.

You're right, I'll vote for the liberal party who doesn't want to cut anything ever because lord help me for wanting a smaller, more efficient government.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
People who think it's a good idea to wait to hit rock bottom before starting to rebuild/repair tend to have depressingly optimistic ideas of what rock bottom actually is, and how long it'll take to get there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Amergin posted:

You're right, I'll vote for the liberal party who doesn't want to cut anything ever because lord help me for wanting a smaller, more efficient government.

Larger governments are more efficient.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Amergin posted:

You're right. You need help from an imaginary sky god for wanting something that you don't understand the consequences of.

Please tell us what you want this smaller government to be like. :cripes:

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sword of Chomsky posted:

You're right. You need help from an imaginary sky god for wanting something that you don't understand the consequences of.

Please tell us what you want this smaller government to be like.
Well first off, we should get rid of all that foreign aid! That's like half our budget, right??

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Amergin posted:

The "liberal" party agreed to cut food stamps to try and flex their bipartisan credentials.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 6, 2014

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Install Windows posted:

I demand a massive global government that everyone works for.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Install Windows posted:

If you're having a slow Saturday night, ask a right winger why this isn't the case, and yet WalMart's size allows it to leverage economies of scale.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

If you're having a slow Saturday night, ask a right winger why this isn't the case, and yet WalMart's size allows it to leverage economies of scale.
"Corporations are more efficient then government"

"Ok, why"

"They just are"

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ShutteredIn posted:

I demand a massive global government that everyone works for.

Let's get on that New World Order tip.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Please tell us what you want this smaller government to be like. :cripes:

Are you trying to be condescending to me for having the audacity of wanting a Republican to win and assigning religion to me to also be condescending of that?

Man, did I step into /r/politics or what?

EDIT: To actually make this post worth something, let me admit I was being facetious of actually wanting the government "razed." Let me also post that I hope you were being facetious in thinking Rand Paul would "cause the suffering of millions" because come on man, let's get real here.

And by that I mean Rand Paul would not have the power to cause the suffering of millions any more than Obama had the power to rid the suffering of millions.

As for what the smaller government would be like... to be vague, let's start with cuts to public education administration costs and (administration) personnel, cuts to military expenditures, a weening off of Social Security/slow wiping out of Social Security, a simplification of our tax system (vague soundbytes!), cuts/revamping of disability benefits and cuts to unemployment while redirecting those funds to SNAP.
Also cuts to government personnel while making it easier to fire government employees in an attempt at making government employment slightly more meritocratic.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 6, 2014

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Sword of Chomsky posted:

imaginary sky god

epic

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

American government as a whole (Federal down to municipal level) is the smallest its been in forever and the only result is services suffer, not be more efficient.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Amergin posted:

Are you trying to be condescending to me for having the audacity of wanting a Republican to win and assigning religion to me to also be condescending of that?

We should just burn the thread down and hope a better one rises from the ashes.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Berke Negri posted:

American government as a whole (Federal down to municipal level) is the smallest its been in forever and the only result is services suffer, not be more efficient.

If we just cut more programs we'll reach the singularity where government starts working at 1000% efficiency.

Though I do wonder why he wants a Republican to win if his goal is small government, since I'm pretty sure # of federal employees was higher during the Bush years than currently.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hey Fried Chicken, now would be a really good time to throw up the May thread, manifesto or no. Just tossing that out there, generally, for you (or anyone else really!) to consider.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Berke Negri posted:

Well it was much smaller back in the day when everyone was a dirt farmer or a slave-trader, so why can't we get back to those days? It was so much better, you know, other than the slavery and the diptheria.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

420DD Butts posted:

If we just cut more programs we'll reach the singularity where government starts working at 1000% efficiency.

Though I do wonder why he wants a Republican to win if his goal is small government, since I'm pretty sure # of federal employees was higher during the Bush years than currently.

I think the number is actually largely flat between Bush and Obama for federal employment, but cities and states have cut back a lot.

edit: also in my experience in public service the ones who wring their hands over cutting employment and hiring freezes and slashing pensions and how we must do these things to be serious sober adults are usually the highest paid public servants and/or got their six figure + severance package lined up to go double dip by being rehired as a consultant

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 6, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
When I go shopping, I save money by buying the smallest package available. It's called buying in slim, and is very efficient.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Berke Negri posted:

I think the number is actually largely flat between Bush and Obama for federal employment, but cities and states have cut back a lot.

edit: also in my experience in public service the ones who wring their hands over cutting employment and hiring freezes and slashing pensions and how we must do these things to be serious sober adults are usually the highest paid public servants and/or got their six figure + severance package lined up to go double dip by being rehired as a consultant

You're right, it's mainly teachers and the like that have gotten cut back. Still makes me wonder why if "trimming" government was his goal he'd pick a party that does not actually trim government.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

When I go shopping, I save money by buying the smallest package available. It's called buying in slim, and is very efficient.

When I buy insurance I make sure it has the smallest risk pool. It's more efficient.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did somebody say Jon Huntsman? :haw:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

420DD Butts posted:

You're right, it's mainly teachers and the like that have gotten cut back. Still makes me wonder why if "trimming" government was his goal he'd pick a party that does not actually trim government.

Because of the two parties, one has a libertarian sub-group while the other has... the greens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I will 100% vote Republican. I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 because of the two candidates, I preferred him.

HOWEVER, if it had been between, say, Jon Huntsman and Obama in 2012, I would have voted Huntsman. I don't want Bush, I want Huntsman, Rand Paul or some rare moderate realpolitik mix. And even then, I'd hold my nose while voting for Paul.

But don't worry, I'll let you keep making the immediate assumption of "He'll consider voting GOP, therefore he'd vote for Bush." It's a great stereotype.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I am not sure why you think Rand Paul fits in with that group, but knock yourself out boss. Just remember that you get the government you deserve not the one you want.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Amergin posted:

Because of the two parties, one has a libertarian sub-group while the other has... the greens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I will 100% vote Republican. I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 because of the two candidates, I preferred him.

HOWEVER, if it had been between, say, Jon Huntsman and Obama in 2012, I would have voted Huntsman. I don't want Bush, I want Huntsman, Rand Paul or some rare moderate realpolitik mix. And even then, I'd hold my nose while voting for Paul.

But don't worry, I'll let you keep making the immediate assumption of "He'll consider voting GOP, therefore he'd vote for Bush." It's a great stereotype.

You'd vote for Rand Paul, a "moderate" who came out against the Civil Right Act?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
On the third party voting front: I always get to vote third party because the Democrats don't even run in my district. We had a Democrat try for US representative once, and he was so small fry that he personally stopped by my house. For senate, I got to choose between Republican and Libertarian. So before you go all realpolitik about voting third party, maybe you should consider the majority of the country that does not live in a swing state and doesn't get to cast a vote that matters anyway.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Libertarians are the crush poors, kill labor, strangle services party so I dont see why thatd be preferable at all to any option.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The "liberal" party agreed to cut food stamps to try and flex their bipartisan credentials.

Of course, if they hadn't agreed then there wouldn't have been any food stamps when the bill wasn't renewed.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

This is why we need to put up that border fence, otherwise Quetzecoatl will sneak all of his god friends in and I don't think we're ready for Centon Totochtin's shenanigans. I certainly am not gonna clean up after 400 drunken rabbits.:colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Libertarians are the crush poors, kill labor, strangle services party so I dont see why thatd be preferable at all to any option.
Hey man, you stay out of my space, I stay out of yours. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The greens are actually pretty cool, especially compared to the party of expanded civil liberties for land-owning whites.

• Locked thread