Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hostile apostle posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but I just got to Ice Climb and I was curious to see what a true expert looks like. Well holy poo poo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwEkgOEAOlY

That's disgusting. I've put 2 days 15 hours into this game and I'm MAYBE slightly above average compared to actual humans. I could spend years and never get that good. There must be some practical application for his mutant video game skills. Robotic surgery maybe? Drones? They should run test on people that good at trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

magimix posted:

loving hell :stare:

As poo poo at it as I am (and I *wish* I was just fishing for compliments), that track is a favourite of mine. It kicks my arse so loving hard. That video just cements my opinion that top-tier riders are aliens, robots, or alien-robots.

Fake edit: The bit at 4:50... Really? loving, realy?! :argh:

Actual edit: In hindsight, I'm not being generous enough. The entire run... Really? loving *really*?! :argh:
The whole clip is less than 4:30 so which part were you referring to? :confused:

But yeah the whole thing is crazy. I just wish the hill climb and some other skill tracks were available as regular levels for normal people to complete.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
I think he means 3:50, where he scales a vertical wall lol

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

hostile apostle posted:

I think he means 3:50, where he scales a vertical wall lol

Trials Fusion: Scaling Vertical LOLs

edit: I bet quality control/assurance/bug testers have no idea what they've signed up for on a game like this when they sit down and get asked to report all bugs in Ice Climb

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2014

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
I'd guess that Redlynx handles testing those by themselves, or lets a few of the top players from previous installments have early access for play-testing. Something like that, at least.

japtor posted:

The whole clip is less than 4:30 so which part were you referring to? :confused:

But yeah the whole thing is crazy. I just wish the hill climb and some other skill tracks were available as regular levels for normal people to complete.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm good pretty much through "hard" difficulty and will likely plat all of those eventually, but once I get to stuff like Ice Climb, god drat, that throttle control is some poo poo. Doesn't help that I'm complete rear end at landing the bike on near vertical surfaces without bouncing the back wheel off juuuuuust enough that I can't get any traction until it's too late. I got enough for silver on Ice Climb, and that's probably right where it'll sit for a while.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 5, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm new to Trials, is there some way to unlock the best bike without just continuing to beat levels? I'm pretty fed up with the hard levels on my lovely bike that doesn't handle nearly as well as the last two youtubes posted (roach?).

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Good to know that I will never ever beat that level. That's crazy.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

leidend posted:

I'm new to Trials, is there some way to unlock the best bike without just continuing to beat levels? I'm pretty fed up with the hard levels on my lovely bike that doesn't handle nearly as well as the last two youtubes posted (roach?).
Not really, no. As soon as you unlock the event with the fourth training thinger, go do that training thinger. I want to say it's 94 total medals? If you haven't got enough medals, and haven't already, go back and get better medals on previous tracks/events; it helps speed things along. You should be able to unlock that circuit before beating the previous circuit.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

the truth posted:

Good to know that I will never ever beat that level. That's crazy.

This. I can barely make it through a minute or 2 course without loving up constantly. I couldn't imagine doing such a long extreme course like that.

Edit: vvv even still. I don't see myself doing well.

A c E fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 5, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

A c E posted:

This. I can barely make it through a minute or 2 course without loving up constantly. I couldn't imagine doing such a long extreme course like that.

It's actually a skill game, you don't need to beat it to get gold(no clue about platinum).

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

A c E posted:

Edit: vvv even still. I don't see myself doing well.

You say that now, but pretty soon something will 'click' about how the bike handles, when to brake, when to throttle just a little bit or let off before a jump for a better landing; you'll be watching replays to see how the people faster than you did it.

You play the game, then you master it to your skill level (which is a moving target).

edit: that moment for me was in Trials Evolution, when I realized that if my front wheel was off the ground and didn't touch the 'lip' of a jump, I could get a much better distance with my back tire only and the right momentum.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 5, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd love to know how Fusion plays for people not used to the series. I played trials hd and promptly hit a brick wall with the hard tracks and frankly felt cheated. And then I played Evolution because of the deafening amount of positive praise, and felt the difficulty curve was much more fair. In particular, Evolution "taught" me how to play Trials on the harder levels, even though I still can't beat the majority of extreme tracks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just came here to bitch about Ice Climb and I see that video. Jesus God I'm never going to come anywhere close to that. I'll be happy if one day, in some distant barely-imagined future, I finally get a gold.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd love to know how Fusion plays for people not used to the series. I played trials hd and promptly hit a brick wall with the hard tracks and frankly felt cheated. And then I played Evolution because of the deafening amount of positive praise, and felt the difficulty curve was much more fair. In particular, Evolution "taught" me how to play Trials on the harder levels, even though I still can't beat the majority of extreme tracks.

I was like "hey this is fun" on easy then "hey this is getting challenging but still fun" on medium then "gently caress this, never going to enjoy playing this" after about the second track on hard.

Seeing Ice Climb only makes me more firm in my decision to pussy out.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

leidend posted:

I was like "hey this is fun" on easy then "hey this is getting challenging but still fun" on medium then "gently caress this, never going to enjoy playing this" after about the second track on hard.

Seeing Ice Climb only makes me more firm in my decision to pussy out.

When I first made it to hard they seemed impossible. A few weeks later I'm close to zero faulting them. My times are too slow for platinum though. Now the extreme tracks seem impossible.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I bought trials evolution gold after playing fusion and I honestly like it better. The difficulty scales more gradually and the evolution version of the pit viper handles better.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 6, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm on the PS4 and this is my first Trails other than the flash games from a decade ago. I was able to get silvers on every Hard track except Greater Crater without too much trouble. There was a notable difficulty spike from Medium to Hard that was exacerbated by me not playing for a week. I beat one Extreme track, but I think I'll spend most of my time playing custom tracks and going for random challenges.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Did anyone figure out what the "Saved Data Online Storage Cannot Upload" thing on PS4 means/how to fix it?

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking his time estimates are fairly accurate for average players. Opinions? Recording every button press surely gives them a lot of data to crunch for difficulty and progress measurement. I couldn't gauge the upper limit but I'm thinking if I double my playtime to 100 hours I should be getting close to decent/goodish.

http://youtu.be/_Tp7yE5w51I?t=35s

10 hours play time - trials baby
100 hours - experienced
1,000 hours - expert

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 6, 2014

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Added my name to the PC player spreadsheet, a few of you have added me and it's made it a lot more fun having people's times there to try and beat.

I like the difficulty curve in this one. I found Evolution was just easy until you got to the expert tracks, and then bam, game over. Fusion feels like a much smoother curve, and I notice myself getting better after trying a hard track for a while, and there's still room for improvement on them. Expert is still kicking my rear end though.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

plape tickler posted:

http://youtu.be/_Tp7yE5w51I?t=35s

10 hours play time - trials baby
100 hours - experienced
1,000 hours - expert

(russian accent) There is NO shortcuts in TRI-als, so you just have to practice a lot

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 6, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You just need to accept that if you are a normally functioning person the best you can ever hope to achieve in this game is maybe finishing the expert courses. Anything more than that takes some sort of autistic gift that few of us have.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Yesterday, I got to the last obstacle of Inferno IV and ran out of faults, then got to the last obstacle again and ran out of time. Today, my hands feel like blocks of wood and I hate this game.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

RCarr posted:

You just need to accept that if you are a normally functioning person the best you can ever hope to achieve in this game is maybe finishing the expert courses. Anything more than that takes some sort of autistic gift that few of us have.
Maybe the joke will be funny if you crack it a third time. Go ahead, we'll wait.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Slate Action posted:

Yesterday, I got to the last obstacle of Inferno IV and ran out of faults, then got to the last obstacle again and ran out of time. Today, my hands feel like blocks of wood and I hate this game.

Don't worry, once the joints sieze more and your fingers become rigidly stuck in the appropriate claw-like formations, it'll start to come together :stare:

I feel like I'm hitting my current skill-cap now. Didn't improve any PBs on extreme tracks recently, and not from lack of trying, so will be settling for any remaining plats I can get, and then maybe play something else for a while! You know, it is at times like this that the lack online MP really bites, because that was a great option if your normal racing had gotten bogged down.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo, fusion broke magimix? Now I'm wavering.

RCarr posted:

gently caress that. I'll sperg out for this loving game. There's only like 10 goddamn variations on obstacles, if I dissect those over and over I'll surely achieve digital glory. I've been watching freakishly good trials runs on youtube at .5 and .25 speed over and over. Time well spent. :smith:

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 6, 2014

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

Oh poo poo, fusion broke magimix? Now I'm wavering.

This is just just the current 'Trials cycle' in a sequence of many, stretching back to Trials HD and the time I fluked my way through the hard tracks until hitting "King of the Hill" (short version; it was loving rough :stare:). I'll be back :argh:

Edit: gently caress yes! Got the plat for Ice Climb. I feel pretty drat pleased about that :dance:

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2014

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

magimix posted:

Edit: gently caress yes! Got the plat for Ice Climb. I feel pretty drat pleased about that :dance:

Niiiice. I need to go back to that level, I haven't tried it in a few weeks. Hopefully I can approach gold by now.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

Niiiice. I need to go back to that level, I haven't tried it in a few weeks. Hopefully I can approach gold by now.

I was so pleased, in fact, that I just had to upload the clip :haw: But mainly because I only *barely* did it, and that was also due to some outrageous fluking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAOK-vcm5Ng

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know. To me that looks like you're on the cusp of your next skill level. Yeah you had some lucky saves but most of it was dialed in, quick and precise.

Did you export to usb? The quality looked pretty nice for ps4.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 6, 2014

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

I don't know. To me that looks like you're on the cusp of your next skill level. Yeah you had some lucky saves but most of it was dialed in, quick and precise.

I had a good run of it this evening, sure. But I still need to work on my trigger discipline a lot. The DS4's reduced trigger-travel compared to my beloved 360 controller is still something I haven't quite dealt with, at least so far as Trials goes. I've replaced fine trigger control with frantic feathering, and its been holding be back some I think.

NOTE: This isn't me blaming the controller. Honestly! It's me not being good enough with the controller I'm using. :argh:

plape tickler posted:

Did you export to usb? The quality looked pretty nice for ps4.

Aye, one of the very many useful things that came in with the 1.70 update. I doubt I'll ever be creating flashy vids in Share Factory, but it sure is nice to have a simple means at hand to trim and join stuff before offloading it.

I'm still crossing fingers and toes for 1080p60 capture at some point. Having captures crunched down to 720p30 before it even passes through Youtube's grinder is a bit grim.

Edit: gently caress yes, I just golded Rock of Ages! You're a good influence, plape tickler ;)

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 6, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

When MLB didn't unlock at midnight I played some hard tracks again and did a lot better. Being ok with rolling backwards sometimes seems to be the key.

And by "better" I mean actually finished the track before quitting. But at least it got me back into the game.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

magimix posted:

NOTE: This isn't me blaming the controller. Honestly! It's me not being good enough with the controller I'm using. :argh:

I totally agree. The ds4 controller seems like a moderate handicap in this specific game compared to the 360/bone controller. I've tried it on all 3 platforms. Tiny poo poo makes a huge difference in this game when you're hanging on by millimeters.

Here's a clip of a lucky fmx run I had 2 weeks ago. I downloaded it from facebook and re uploaded to youtube. So at least it's one less set of compression now with usb export.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yso5kvbFV44

magimix posted:

Edit: gently caress yes, I just golded Rock of Ages! You're a good influence, plape tickler ;)

Told ya :)

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 6, 2014

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Two hours of retrying and I got the gold on Redlynx Derby. Pretty pleased with that.

I keep going back to Ice Climb and getting no further though, although it's definitely one of my favourite tracks. There's just something about that track that makes me forget how to bunny hop properly.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

I totally agree. The ds4 controller seems like a moderate handicap in this specific game compared to the 360/bone controller. I've tried it on all 3 platforms. Tiny poo poo makes a huge difference in this game when you're hanging on by millimeters.

Here's a clip of a lucky fmx run I had 2 weeks ago. I downloaded it from facebook and re uploaded to youtube. So at least it's one less set of compression now with usb export.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yso5kvbFV44

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! Wish I could borrow that run. I'm quite poo poo at the FMX stuff.

Maw posted:

Two hours of retrying and I got the gold on Redlynx Derby. Pretty pleased with that.

I keep going back to Ice Climb and getting no further though, although it's definitely one of my favourite tracks. There's just something about that track that makes me forget how to bunny hop properly.

It is a super-devious track. What made it start to come together for me was, in many places, to *stop* myself from preparing for a bunnyhop by leaning forward. Stay in the rear posture, and just go for it. The fact you are on a slope will give you the lift, and a good hop if you flick foward promptly.

Edit: Yaaaaaay, and Frost Bite falls too :supaburn:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2014

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

magimix posted:

It is a super-devious track. What made it start to come together for me was, in many places, to *stop* myself from preparing for a bunnyhop by leaning forward. Stay in the rear posture, and just go for it. The fact you are on a slope will give you the lift, and a good hop if you flick foward promptly.

Tried this, and almost immediately got an extra 10-15m on my previous best. Thanks for the advice :D

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's probably a terrible idea, but I have the most fun on Ice climb using the Rabbit. I'd use it more but it seems like it doesn't have the power for a lot of the gaps in other tracks. Or at least I don't have the skill to clear them...

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maw posted:

Tried this, and almost immediately got an extra 10-15m on my previous best. Thanks for the advice :D

You're entirely welcome! I think I'm all Trialsed out now, but not a bad haul, and ended with a plat for "Icebreaker".

Edit: Also, for those of you with the PS4 version who haven't had as chance to play for a day or so, the latest title update seems to address the season-pass issue.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
If you are on PS4 and want to see some really great custom tracks, check out 'killthewicked'. They've made a load of tracks, not all of which I've yet sampled, to be sure, but in particular they've made some *fantastic* hard technical tracks that use the Rabbit. Hopefully the 'BMX FREAK' series will have a long and fruitful life.

Edit: Every time I want to recommend a track to someone, it grinds my gears that I have to have 'if you are on platform X' as a proviso. Sure, a platform agnostic Track Central was most likely always an impossible dream, but nonetheless it is a crying shame to force the builder community into seperated silos.

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 7, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Man, gently caress the god drat barrel jump in Inferno IV. I have no idea how I did it on my first two attempts, the loving thing is impossible now. How can I be getting worse at an obstacle the more I try it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

magimix posted:

If you are on PS4 and want to see some really great custom tracks, check out 'killthewicked'. They've made a load of tracks, not all of which I've yet sampled, to be sure, but in particular they've made some *fantastic* hard technical tracks that use the Rabbit. Hopefully the 'BMX FREAK' series will have a long and fruitful life.

Edit: Every time I want to recommend a track to someone, it grinds my gears that I have to have 'if you are on platform X' as a proviso. Sure, a platform agnostic Track Central was most likely always an impossible dream, but nonetheless it is a crying shame to force the builder community into seperated silos.

killthewicked is a pretty chill dude, I've played all his tracks except for the FMX (tricks) ones so far and they've been pretty drat solid.

• Locked thread