Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Socracheese posted:

that sounds awfully hackable

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

they're moving from a java plugin

baby steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

idk not really it should be as secure as cryotpcat
nah, if its in javascript then you can view whatever game source code that the "client" is running at the time which i would imagine would be highly exploitable

also has anyone made anything in "webgl" that isnt a heaping pile of poo poo

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Socracheese posted:

nah, if its in javascript then you can view whatever game source code that the "client" is running at the time which i would imagine would be highly exploitable

why is this any different to java bytecode

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

well at least you hafta decompile it i guess idk, i didn't know you could do that on java web applets, lol anything that runs off a java plugin is hot garbage

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

probably html5, webgl, and a mountain of javascript

that sounds about right i guess

they released their html5 client in beta a while back and it is has absolutely terrible performance, so they stopped updating the beta and said hold tight until html5 becomes better

also lol

quote:

But as the company continued to work with HTML5, making sure that the new technology could work in parallel with RuneScape's existing tech stack, the more excited the team became about the platform.

Notes Gerhard, "We had our own board say to us, 'We spent some time with the Google team - they had King.com in for six months and they said it couldn't be done. So you guys are wasting time.' And we said, 'No no, we've done it.' And they said, 'Oh! We should probably talk to Google then!'"

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i played with webgl a lot thinking it was gonna be the next "thing" and holy poo poo its slow and horrible

also imagine writing a game engine in javascript :suicide:

i found some google-written physics engine where you could ramp a toy car into a wall made of 9 blocks, as soon as the collison happens and it has to start calculating physics it drops to like 4 fps

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Socracheese posted:

- google maps
-

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

actually google maps in anything that isn't chrome on a decent pc is a heaping pile of poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Socracheese posted:

it'll be effectively open source so obviously very secure

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Socracheese posted:

i played with webgl a lot thinking it was gonna be the next "thing" and holy poo poo its slow and horrible

also imagine writing a game engine in javascript :suicide:

i found some google-written physics engine where you could ramp a toy car into a wall made of 9 blocks, as soon as the collison happens and it has to start calculating physics it drops to like 4 fps

on the other hand: have you seen runescape

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

this is a poor comparison but things definetly look much better

the problem is you cant play above 10 fps on some computers that are maxed out

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

my stepdads beer posted:

actually google maps in anything that isn't chrome on a decent pc is a heaping pile of poo poo

my friends accept it only working on the latest chrome on their massive pcs as ok but i'm friends with the williamsburg coffeeshop type so i should just kill my'are self

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cant wait for moores law to run out and for the oozing poo poo in every modern technology to start leaking out of the transistors

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Valeyard posted:

this is a poor comparison but things definetly look much better

the problem is you cant play above 10 fps on some computers that are maxed out

i am amazed that people still play runescape

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i was going to say middle schoolers but then i remember it's all minecraft now since a lot of schools use that to teach about computers or something idk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they use it as an early screening process to find the autists, so yes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i like that you can do circuits in minecraft it's neat for that

but then they added magic and xp and garbage like that and i was like "children should not be exposed to this"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

children should not be exposed to this"

mlmp

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

pre-emptive: the p is for post you sickos

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like for penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus penus

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i played runescape when i was 11 years old and i played with some english kid and i've known him the longest out of all the friends i still keep up with :unsmith:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

cant wait for moores law to run out and for the oozing poo poo in every modern technology to start leaking out of the transistors

it will just get worse as programmers abandon any semblance of structure or design in the name of execution efficiency. like game programmers

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i like to think you can write efficient code that has some semblance of readability/abstraction/whatever

then i open any project of mine more than 3 months old :haw:

although my current project i managed to port from one terrible microcontroller to another in about ten minutes and only had to rewrite like 3 small functions and change a few defines, it blew my mind how easy it was.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I was teaching a class the first time I saw runescape. A student had brought his kid brother to class rather than skip. I was roughly equally impressed by the student's diligence and the crude java graphics

Y'all making me feel old

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
Back then we considered the java sandbox to be super secure

My time sheets were literally filed via java applet

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ill post some of my smaller assginments in here that might be interesting/small enough that people will look at them, most if it will fall into terrible programmer territory

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

Valeyard posted:

ill post some of my smaller assginments in here that might be interesting/small enough that people will look at them, most if it will fall into terrible programmer territory

we should do a yospos terrible programmer outreach. sorta like aa but for computers and instead of god being the answer everyone being wrong is the answer

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the answer is... write unit tests!

that this is my answer to anything might imply that I am posting in the right thread

edit: also: write integration tests!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Valeyard posted:

code:
for (i = 0; i < n_files; i++) {
    buffer = (char *)malloc(1);
    fread(buffer, 1, 1, file);
    farray[i].slen = buffer[0];
    buffer = (char *)realloc(farray[i].slen);
    fread(buffer, 1, farray[i].slen, file);
    strcpy(farray[i].fname, buffer); farray[i].fname[1+farray[i].slen+1] = '\0';
    buffer = (char *)realloc(4);
    fread(buffer, sizeof(unsigned int), 1, file);
    buffer[SHIFT] = '\0';
    n = atoi(buffer);
    farray[i].fsize = n;
    free(buffer);
}
:mrgw:

note - this actually looks a lot cleaner when i take out all the symbolic constants, but I don't loving remember what SHIFT was. 3?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

code:
    buffer[SHIFT] = '\0';
    n = atoi(buffer);
    farray[i].fsize = n;
    free(buffer);
}
:smugmrgw:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

code:
    buffer[SHIFT] = '\0';
    n = atoi(buffer);
    farray[i].fsize = n;
    free(buffer);
}

note - this actually looks a lot cleaner when i take out all the symbolic constants, but I don't loving remember what SHIFT was. 3?

looks like a lot of poo poo to do nothing

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
pretend I posted a parody of nowhere man here called nowhere code

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the bug tracking website in my first job had tonnes of java applets embedded in it
literally several single textareas per page that were one java applet each

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

compared to activex it's pretty good. the crazy thing is that some people still want to do that poo poo. nacl was built around a static asm verifier, then they had a bunch of white hats go after it, then we never heard anything else about nacl

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

compared to activex it's pretty good. the crazy thing is that some people still want to do that poo poo. nacl was built around a static asm verifier, then they had a bunch of white hats go after it, then we never heard anything else about nacl

they realised that nacl wasn't going to get adopted outside of chrome, nacl wasn't portable enough, thus pnacl, but it's been on the back burner, but i don't see firefox or the webkits adopting it, nor mobile clients

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

~Coxy posted:

the bug tracking website in my first job had tonnes of java applets embedded in it
literally several single textareas per page that were one java applet each

my favorite student assignment was when a group turned in a page full of java applets that linked to an ms access database. the adminning was done via forms they made in access.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I've been having to do javascript this last couple weeks and : no thanks

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

they realised that nacl wasn't going to get adopted outside of chrome, nacl wasn't portable enough, thus pnacl, but it's been on the back burner, but i don't see firefox or the webkits adopting it, nor mobile clients

ofc no one will who wants to wear the HACK ME sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fritz posted:

I've been having to do javascript this last couple weeks and : no thanks

correct

• Locked thread