Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

I laughed as they were murdering those flying monkeys because of the same thought.

Also kinda glad that Regina got her happy ending/curse breaker there. Was almost just on the cusp of expecting it so I was glad she got it and not Emma.

Well, what were the other heart-crush deaths? We had the huntsman (Regina's fling basically) and not really anyone else that I remember being important enough to recall right now. I figured there was going to be no tension to it unless they did a "nope Charming's a monkey" fakeout. Just chalk another one up for True Love (tm) I guess.

Well, there's also Regina's original stable-boy love (Cora removed his heart); Regina's father (his heart fueled the original Dark Curse); Rumple's ex-wife (Rumple yanked out her heart in front of Hook); Pan's minion (Pan used it to fuel the second curse). There's probably others, but I can't remember them.

For my part I wish they'd toss in a bit of "magic-babble" to explain it:

Emma/Henry: Hey why is it that when you remove people's hearts they don't immediately die from non-circulating blood, or, y'know, massive blood loss from having their major blood vessel torn loose? Also why are hearts red and glowing instead of the blood-covered chunks of muscle they are in medical dramas and martial arts movies (where a dude rips another dude's heart out and crushes it)?

Regina/Rumple: Because we're not removing the physical heart. A more precise term would be "life-soul vessel." A magic-user who knows what he's doing can pull out this vessel, which take the form you've seen. Since, love and life is thought to reside in the heart in out weird, magical, pseudo-medieval society, which is also pig-ignorant about medicine, including basic anatomy, we call that vessel, the heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

johntfs posted:

Rumple: Because we're not removing the physical heart. A more precise term would be "life-soul vessel." A magic-user who knows what he's doing can pull out this vessel, which take the form you've seen. Since, love and life is thought to reside in the heart in out weird, magical, pseudo-medieval society, which is also pig-ignorant about medicine, including basic anatomy, we call that vessel the heart, dearie."
It's as if it was already written in.

JawnV6 posted:

Don't forget the dead husband!
Too soon. :colbert:

Ha ha, not really. Stay dead, Neal. I still haven't forgiven you for costing us August.
Neal's actor is cool and all but he and Hook have more chemistry than Neal and Emma. No that was not some frigging shipping reference, either.

:sparkles: Robin Hook :sparkles:

I'm so sorry, guys. I don't even have a tumblr, I swear. I just have a weakness for guyliner and Krod Mandoon and also I have not been sleeping enough.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

johntfs posted:

Well, there's also Regina's original stable-boy love (Cora removed his heart); Regina's father (his heart fueled the original Dark Curse); Rumple's ex-wife (Rumple yanked out her heart in front of Hook); Pan's minion (Pan used it to fuel the second curse). There's probably others, but I can't remember them.

For my part I wish they'd toss in a bit of "magic-babble" to explain it:

Emma/Henry: Hey why is it that when you remove people's hearts they don't immediately die from non-circulating blood, or, y'know, massive blood loss from having their major blood vessel torn loose? Also why are hearts red and glowing instead of the blood-covered chunks of muscle they are in medical dramas and martial arts movies (where a dude rips another dude's heart out and crushes it)?

Regina/Rumple: Because we're not removing the physical heart. A more precise term would be "life-soul vessel." A magic-user who knows what he's doing can pull out this vessel, which take the form you've seen. Since, love and life is thought to reside in the heart in out weird, magical, pseudo-medieval society, which is also pig-ignorant about medicine, including basic anatomy, we call that vessel, the heart.
Despite looking like the actual anatomical heart, I never actually questioned the "heart" stuff on the show. They obviously mean some physical manifestation of a person's soul or whatever, I guess, in the most approximate way.

People actually taking that heart to meaning the anatomical heart that seriously? I hadn't heard about that until just a few posts ago.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Sober posted:

Despite looking like the actual anatomical heart, I never actually questioned the "heart" stuff on the show. They obviously mean some physical manifestation of a person's soul or whatever, I guess, in the most approximate way.

Yeah I always assumed it was just this. However, that does make Dr. Whale's experiments a little more complicated since he used magic hearts as real hearts, essentially. Now I'm a little confused...

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

He is from a land that had no magic of its own, but magic functioned there since the Enchanted Forest heart he used had extra oomph to make his brother live again.

My guess is that in the Enchanted Forest hearts are both functional and ~magical soul vessels.~ A person can live without their heart as long as it exists and still beats. And their circulatory system runs on fairy dust! :sparkles:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What was up with that one scene in a snowstorm by the port?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My only real complaint this episode which is more of a complaint about this season, is that there doesn't seem to be any limitation or price on Zelena turning people into flying monkeys... so she should be turning everything into flying monkeys and freezing the people she needs to keep alive long enough (like Snow). It's just kind of a weird oversight because I feel like most of the time the show is pretty good at making sure magic has a price and can't just be thrown around. But that doesn't seem to be an issue with Zelena's monkey magic so why isn't the entire town monkeys?

Other than that I thought this was a pretty great episode, especially loved Regina being the one to undo the memory spell by kissing Henry, not Emma. And Regina was in rare form tonight too. The flashback scenes of her were so great. The look of just utter "are you kidding me with this poo poo" she gives to Snow and Charming when they exchange the flower for good luck was so :lol:. Or when Belle comes back and Snow is all "Neil's dead? :( " but Regina is all "Rumple's alive? >:]".

Also best line in the episode:

Zelena: Why haven't you used those luscious lips and kissed Emma?
Hook: Well a fella likes to be courted

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

What was up with that one scene in a snowstorm by the port?

Presumably they filmed that scene on location in Maine during winter.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Macaluso posted:

My only real complaint this episode which is more of a complaint about this season, is that there doesn't seem to be any limitation or price on Zelena turning people into flying monkeys... so she should be turning everything into flying monkeys and freezing the people she needs to keep alive long enough (like Snow).

It probably takes up a lot of magic for much less gain than would be expected. Or requires something of theirs or something.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
<Raylan Givens>Goddamn it, Rumple</Raylan Givens>

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

johntfs posted:

<Raylan Givens>Goddamn it, Rumple</Raylan Givens>

Rumple very specifically didn't promise Belle not to hurt Zelena. it was super obvious that would happen.

Not sure where they go next episode though.. was expecting the stab but not the swirly bits so uh... welp

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
Clearly Zalena is Sauron... they're going to Mordor next season.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
this show has been getting really good the past few eps in terms of character development, I'm proud of the writers

loving emma shooting hook down every single time he tries to pull true love bullshit on her

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The time travel spell reactivated, combined with the spooky cloud effect of a relocation curse -- they're going somewhere long, long ago, perhaps to a galaxy far, far away :wookie:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Damiya posted:

Rumple very specifically didn't promise Belle not to hurt Zelena. it was super obvious that would happen.

Not sure where they go next episode though.. was expecting the stab but not the swirly bits so uh... welp

The thing about Raylan's voice in that scene is that it isn't really anger, in his tone. It's this mixture of anger, disappointment and resignation. It's disappointing that Rumple chose vengeance over forgiveness. It's angering that by doing so he's once again created massive complications for everyone. But you may as well resign yourself to the fact that he's always going to do vengeful, destructive things, so...

<Raylan>God drat it, Rumple</Raylan>

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
It's nice to see that in THIS episode they recall the flying monkeys are former friends. Also, am I the only one who really REALLY prefers Rumple/Belle over Charming/Snow? Flaws and all!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

foxatee posted:

It's nice to see that in THIS episode they recall the flying monkeys are former friends. Also, am I the only one who really REALLY prefers Rumple/Belle over Charming/Snow? Flaws and all!

I don't know if you're the only one, but don't count me in solidarity with you. Snow and Charming are a loving, funny pairing of two relative equals. Rumple and Belle seem like a car crash in waiting.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Snow and Charming I really enjoyed in season 1, but I feel like they really wore them out over the course of the show (despite them being the main cast unfortunately). They still have their moments though.

Rumple and Belle ... yeah after this I dunno. Belle is like way too naive for her own good, and though it's fun as hell to watch Rumple is the same old vengeful coward that still refuses to really change for her.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well the ending of that episode sure was something.

Ya know I really liked how this entire storyline, I honestly had NO idea how they were going to defeat Zelena. It never crossed my mind that Regina would be able to do light magic, so the entire time I was like HOW THE gently caress ARE THEY GOING TO BEAT HER so kudos to the writers for that. Regina being the one to do the light magic was super satisfying too. Really all the Regina stuff this season has been. She's so awesome.

Kind of sad to see Rumple straight up lie and trick Belle like that, but I was also annoyed when Regina stopped him from having his revenge on her so I'm glad he was able to. As much as I LOVE Belle and Rumple as a couple (who on EARTH would like Snow and Charming more?), bad Rumple is still more entertaining.

Really curious what they are going to set up for next season. And we still have one more episode left! And it's a TWO HOUR episode right? What in the hell is going to happen? Also really curious how they are going to incorperate the Frozen princesses if they end up doing that next season.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Great episode overall. The only part I didn't like was the "all your power is bound to the amulet" MacGuffin. It makes defeating magic, and taking away magic, too simple.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I really wish the heroes would come up with a better battle plan than "stand in front of villain and point weapons without firing until we're duly disarmed". Come on, guys. Bust out the flashbangs. Set up snipers. Pump the hospital lobby full of carbon monoxide. Detonate a truck bomb in the street as she walks by.

Macaluso posted:

Kind of sad to see Rumple straight up lie and trick Belle like that, but I was also annoyed when Regina stopped him from having his revenge on her so I'm glad he was able to

When it comes right down to it, Rumple and Regina are mass-murdering lunatics. Lovable ones to be sure, but personally I'm glad to see at least one of them still has some of that season 1 bite.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Was that the season finale? If so that was the worse cliffhanger ever. I sure as hell have 0 investment in what could be happening with that spell.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bamhand posted:

Was that the season finale? If so that was the worse cliffhanger ever. I sure as hell have 0 investment in what could be happening with that spell.

No there's a two hour season finale next week. I imagine they'll be setting up a bunch of poo poo next week

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh thank god. I was seriously going to be mad. Though I will also be mad if Zelena magically comes back from being stabbed. Which is looking pretty likely.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

bamhand posted:

Oh thank god. I was seriously going to be mad. Though I will also be mad if Zelena magically comes back from being stabbed. Which is looking pretty likely.

Yeah, especially given the way she died. Turning into...porcelain and breaking? What?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

The shattering and green smoke thing was super weird. Rumple stabbed her with his dark one dagger so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

The finale starts at the regular 8pm time, yes?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

fork bomb posted:

The shattering and green smoke thing was super weird. Rumple stabbed her with his dark one dagger so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

The finale starts at the regular 8pm time, yes?

Well you have to kill the current Dark One with his own dagger for it to count, so I'm sure when he used it, it was probably as simple as just him stabbing her.

I was also disappointed Emma didn't just dump her magazine at Zelena at the very least. Or that any of the Merry Men didn't at least get a single arrow off.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, especially given the way she died. Turning into...porcelain and breaking? What?

They've used that effect before. I want to say it was a dream sequence with Henry as the victim?

I'm happy with the setup. Rumple under his own power, Zelena with just her own magic, Henry vs. Emma's wishes on NYC/Storybrooke as a solid B plot.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

fork bomb posted:

The shattering is probably just his typical theatrics. Just killing somebody doesn't have panache, he's got to turn them into a snail and step on them or something. The smoke is pretty clearly meant to convey that the green gemstone is a one ring/horcrux or similar.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Maybe Emma will permanently have her magic taken. I'm sure she'll have it back and never get it taken away in alternate timeline though, too much to hope for that she's magic-less, really.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

Maybe Emma will permanently have her magic taken. I'm sure she'll have it back and never get it taken away in alternate timeline though, too much to hope for that she's magic-less, really.

Maybe Emma will get it back and then turn evil. At which point Regina will have to save her and thus become the Savior savior.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
I watch for Rumple and Regina. Sure I like other stuff and enjoy the cheese factor, but it is those two that keep me coming back. I will admit I was really delighted to see Regina be the hero.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

My question is, if they're introducing a new setting for the next season, what's left in the roster of Disney-owned or public domain children's fantasy settings they can throw around?

They've already addressed Grimm's Fairytale Forest, Neverland, Wonderland, Oz, Agrabah, and the Gothic Horror Playscape. Will they just re-use one of those, or is there some other poo poo?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

My question is, if they're introducing a new setting for the next season, what's left in the roster of Disney-owned or public domain children's fantasy settings they can throw around?

Well, we already know they're bringing in a few Wonderland characters. As for other new characters and possible settings, well,

quote:

At the risk of running out of Disney characters, you did once mention you’d like to get Tiana in there. Any others you’d like to work in?
Adam: We love some of the newer ones.
Eddy: Obviously we’d be dying to do Frozen. We would love to [incorporate] Merida.
Adam: Whether we get to them or not, characters like Anna, Elsa and Merida feel like they could be slotted in.
Eddy: And then there’s favorites of ours like Mr. Toad. We haven’t figured it out yet but we love Mr. Toad. We still haven’t done Aladdin and Jasmine.
Adam: We mentioned before that we love Cruella De Vil. Pongo has appeared on the show.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ABC Exec: Why are Once Upon A Time's ratings suddenly so high??
Once producers: Well we added the Frozen princesses in this season...

Also I think the show needs to eventually take the fairytale characters out of Storybrooke into the rest of the world. Like a dragon gets loose and terrorizes America and no one knows how to deal with it besides the fairytale people or something. Besides a few rare cases, the fairytale peeps have stayed in Storybrooke. The world finding out about magic and the fairytale characters being all real I think needs to come up at some point.

Also a human version of Ratigan

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Magic spreading into the rest of the world would be cool.. As well as an alternative universe. I think the show will go into the Enchanted Forest because Henry hasn't been there. But we still haven't tapped the Beatrix Potter world, the Hundred Acre Wood, Narnia, or an alternative to the past/present.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The nice part about the Frozen princesses is that they could probably get Kristen Bell to play Anna.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I love that they reference Back to the Future in a plot stolen from Back to the Future.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Past crazy Rumple is the best part of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

legoman727 posted:

Past crazy Rumple is the best part of this episode.

Crazy Rumple's usually the best part of any episode.

• Locked thread