Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Does anyone know if George "Space Ghost" Lowe did the opening narration for the first Clash of the Champions? I'm watching it on the Network, and it sounds a lot like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

ZDar Fan posted:

Does anyone know if George "Space Ghost" Lowe did the opening narration for the first Clash of the Champions? I'm watching it on the Network, and it sounds a lot like him.
Sounds like him, and wikipedia says he did voiceovers for TBS in the 80s and 90s, so it seems likely that it's him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

On this subject, in the mid-00s didn't Triple H refuse to put young guys over on the basis that "beating legends isn't how you get to be a Superstar"? Does Foley cry every time he hears this?

He allegedly said this once and now the Internet can never let us forget it, even after things like Wrestlemania 30 happened.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cromulent posted:

Sounds like him, and wikipedia says he did voiceovers for TBS in the 80s and 90s, so it seems likely that it's him.

It's even likelier considering early Space Ghost Coast to Coast got a ton of high profile guests like Ted Turner, Hogan, and Savage. The Randy Savage episode 'Piledriver' is possibly the funniest episode of the show.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

sticklefifer posted:

It's even likelier considering early Space Ghost Coast to Coast got a ton of high profile guests like Ted Turner, Hogan, and Savage. The Randy Savage episode 'Piledriver' is possibly the funniest episode of the show.

"HEYSTACKS CALLHOUN? HE WAS A MOUNTAIN OF A MAN!"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Mick Foley hit a big speedbump with his fans as well after the publication of his third book. Everyone either forgave or understood his multiple comebacks after his early 2000 retirement because he meant (and honestly MEANT) to put over Randy Orton and Edge and make them look good. It was admirable in an industry where legends just want a big money match or One Final Run and Foley made Orton and Edge look strong.

But, his third book though he came off as really, really clingy towards wrestling and constantly pestered WWE for a final run and got pissy when he was shot down. There was also the fact he was really creepy and goony towards Divas (Melina in particular) in that publication. It just rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way and made Foley unpopular on WH2K back in the day. Since then though Foley has recovered his image by saying he was trying to be flirty but failed because he's just bad with women (the head trauma cannot help) and understands retirement (aside from the odd appearance here and there) is for him.

Edit: Fixed up a sentence.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 6, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mick Foley is a real good dude irl

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Mick Foley hit a big speedbump with his fans as well after the publication of his third book. Everyone either forgave or understood his multiple comebacks after his early 2000 retirement because he meant (and honestly MEANT) to put over Randy Orton and Edge and make them look good. It was admirable in an industry where legends just want a big money match or One Final Run and Fole.

But, his third book though he came off as really, really clingy towards wrestling and constantly pestered WWE for a final run and got pissy when he was shot down. There was also the fact he was really creepy and goony towards Divas (Melina in particular) in that publication. It just rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way and made Foley unpopular on WH2K back in the day. Since then though Foley has recovered his image by saying he was trying to be flirty but failed because he's just bad with women (the head trauma cannot help) and understands retirement (aside from the odd appearance here and there) is for him.

In retrospect, I hope people understand that, in a business where most legends are truly scummy fucks, if the worst thing you do is come off a bit awkward with the ladies and have trouble letting go of the thing that made people love you in the first place, you're an alright guy.

And for what it's worth, he DID make Randy Orton and Edge look good, IMO.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Foley's always come off as doing right with the business of putting guys over as much as possible. He also often seems weird, petty and desperate. I guess he's harmless in the end.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Wasn't there plans for an Ambrose/Foley feud (pre-Shield) and it was kiboshed cos Ambrose went too far and referenced Foley's kids?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Perdido posted:

Wasn't there plans for an Ambrose/Foley feud (pre-Shield) and it was kiboshed cos Ambrose went too far and referenced Foley's kids?

this was a giant work

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

It was kiboshed because Foley's medicals were so bad he can't even ride rollercoasters anymore.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MassRafTer posted:

It was kiboshed because Foley's medicals were so bad he can't even ride rollercoasters anymore.

oatgan posted:

this was a giant work

Which is it?

E: Or was the 'reason' given that Ambrose went too far when in reality it was cos doctors wouldn't clear Foley?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Perdido posted:

Which is it?

the "Dean Ambrose is too crazy for even me, Mick Foley, to want to wrestle" part

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

oatgan posted:

the "Dean Ambrose is too crazy for even me, Mick Foley, to want to wrestle" part

Ahaha, if that was how it was spun by Foley, then sorry for asking.

I thought he was legit offended by whatever Ambrose had said. Not that Ambrose was ~*~ too crazy ~*~

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MassRafTer posted:

What? Oh god. If you tell me next his heart can't take seeing Santa or Terry Funk anymore we'll have to put this guy on suicide watch because there go his favorite things.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Commissar Ken posted:

What? Oh god. If you tell me next his heart can't take seeing Santa or Terry Funk anymore we'll have to put this guy on suicide watch because there go his favorite things.

Don't worry unlike most wrestlers his heart is only enlarged by the holiday spirit.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Foley also lets everyone know up front that he (not surprisingly) has to avoid flashes on cameras/camera phones due to sensitivity to light thanks to his wrestling days, and asks people to either turn them off or don't think he's a dick when he's not looking directly at the camera in the photo.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

nasboat posted:

Foley also lets everyone know up front that he (not surprisingly) has to avoid flashes on cameras/camera phones due to sensitivity to light thanks to his wrestling days, and asks people to either turn them off or don't think he's a dick when he's not looking directly at the camera in the photo.

Foley also can't tie his shoes properly because of his back and knee problems. This sounds really sad but he's lucky to even be alive and not totally crippled, all things considered.

Foley was also clearly an excellent father to his children because a) they love him and it's really obvious, and b) none of them want anything to do with the wrestling business.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
In all honesty, none of Mick's in ring returns (at least in WWE, the only TNA match I ever saw him in was against a cardboard cutout of Rocky Balboa) were that bad. The tag match at WrestleMania XX is nowhere near as bad as the reputation it has is, in fact I think it's pretty fun. Orton and Edge had classics with him, his tag match at the ECW show in 06 was great, and he had some decent hardcore matches with Ric Flair. The only really bad matches he had were his Royal Rumble appearances, but those were more harmless fun than anything else.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CombineThresher posted:

Foley also can't tie his shoes properly because of his back and knee problems. This sounds really sad but he's lucky to even be alive and not totally crippled, all things considered.

Foley was also clearly an excellent father to his children because a) they love him and it's really obvious, and b) none of them want anything to do with the wrestling business.

Foley is such a great person outside of wrestling, obviously loves and supports his family, that I find it hard to hate the man because how many people who have left this industry been able to say that?

It's really fortunate he recognized his health problems after KOTR 1998 (and been humble enough to acknowledge them given this was the peak of "it's not ballet you loving PUSSY!" wrestling) and retired when he did because he'd be a broken loving mess even if he had a part-time schedule instead of the few brief appearance he did in years after. As a fan who grew up on his hardcore days, a part of me even feels guilty having enjoyed them because the guy is clearly feeling the effects of it. Watching his interviews nowadays I can recognize the mental deficits in his speech and candor.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm sure this has been asked but how long has the 'or you can get out the door' thing been a part of steel cage matches?

Don't listen to the mesh to bars thing. Wrestlemania 2 used the big-blue steel cage. Bundy attempted escaping out of the door multiple times. Just watched the OSW Review of it last night.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
They've invented the fix to Rey, it's only a matter of time before they invent enough stuff that they can rebuild most of Foley.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
do you think Rey will go bankrupt funding the fix to his (non-existent) Knees? Or will the WWE help foot the bill to maintain him?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

God Of Paradise posted:

Don't listen to the mesh to bars thing. Wrestlemania 2 used the big-blue steel cage. Bundy attempted escaping out of the door multiple times. Just watched the OSW Review of it last night.

Huh. I don't remember a door on the blue bar cage from when I was a kid for some reason, only people escaping over the top.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Ah okay. I've just read the lukewarm opinions of Cena online and haven't been watching enough to get how big of a deal he is.

Bryan surpassed the greatest heights Foley ever reached awhile back. Just watch a show, he's getting Austin pops.

Cena, I would compare to Hogan when he was winding down with his initial WWF run. Think back about how badly people wanted something different at the end of the 6 years of Hogan. Now picture Hogan never going to WCW, and never turning heel. Picture it being 1996, and Hogan is still leg dropping the monster of the week. Just the same old poo poo. The crowds overwhelmingly boo him, far worse than they ever did Hogan, yet the kids watching at home still tune in and buy his merch. In his defense, I don't think he deserves as much hate as he gets. He's kept away from the title picture. He's open to doing clean jobs. But he was just booked like Hogan for so long, in a period where the WWE was pretending the attitude era never happened, and disregarding their large 18-35 male demographic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember Kaval dropping a reference to "total nonstop action" and "making an impact" on NXT, and Cena threatening Vince that he'd walk out and "into someone else's company, brother", but are those the only times TNA has ever been even remotely referenced in WWE?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

sticklefifer posted:

I remember Kaval dropping a reference to "total nonstop action" and "making an impact" on NXT, and Cena threatening Vince that he'd walk out and "into someone else's company, brother", but are those the only times TNA has ever been even remotely referenced in WWE?

Do you mean on Television? or in general?

On Byte This I believe a lot of TNA fans tried to name-drop the show leading to Todd Grisham just being... well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud75ZQVh04U

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

Cena, I would compare to Hogan when he was winding down with his initial WWF run. Think back about how badly people wanted something different at the end of the 6 years of Hogan. Now picture Hogan never going to WCW, and never turning heel. Picture it being 1996, and Hogan is still leg dropping the monster of the week. Just the same old poo poo. The crowds overwhelmingly boo him, far worse than they ever did Hogan, yet the kids watching at home still tune in and buy his merch. In his defense, I don't think he deserves as much hate as he gets. He's kept away from the title picture. He's open to doing clean jobs. But he was just booked like Hogan for so long, in a period where the WWE was pretending the attitude era never happened, and disregarding their large 18-35 male demographic.

There's also the fact that it's not unreasonable to assume Cena has plenty of sway with WWE brass, given how valuable he is to them. There's a perception that he could easily speak up and change the lovely way that he's booked. He's not the one planning the match in which he supermans all over the place and makes his opponent look like a chump, but he undoubtedly has the power to change it if he finds it objectionable. But Cena doesn't. He's a good company man. And so we have a long trail of pushes derailed by short-sighted booking and the Rapadoo express.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cena actually does call his matches as he sees fit.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We had a running joke at school that Goldberg's streak only existed because he didn't realise that wrestling's fake. Maybe it's time to dust that old chestnut off for Cena :v:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Onmi posted:

do you think Rey will go bankrupt funding the fix to his (non-existent) Knees? Or will the WWE help foot the bill to maintain him?

WWE will probably help out, and if medical science can rebuild Terry Funk, then Foley and Rey will be fine.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

CombineThresher posted:

WWE will probably help out, and if medical science can rebuild Terry Funk, then Foley and Rey will be fine.

For everything else, there's DDP Yoga.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Despite DDP pleading with Mick, he has said that he won't start caring about his body or doing DDPYoga until he needs a wheelchair to get around Disney.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cromulent posted:

Despite DDP pleading with Mick, he has said that he won't start caring about his body or doing DDPYoga until he needs a wheelchair to get around Disney.

DDP Yoga isn't going to magically rebuild the massive structural damage to Foley's body no matter what DDP thinks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, no, he'd need to get surgery first like Jake and Hall (although I'd wager Foley's in far worse shape physically than either of them), *then* he can set about getting rid of the 100 pounds of flab that's most likely making everything worse.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

DDP Yoga isn't going to magically rebuild the massive structural damage to Foley's body no matter what DDP thinks.

It might.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

It's more about Mick's attitude than the DDPYoga itself. Saying you're not going to attempt to get healthy until you're a cripple and unable to walk around a theme park is a horrible outlook to have.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Well, no, he'd need to get surgery first like Jake and Hall (although I'd wager Foley's in far worse shape physically than either of them), *then* he can set about getting rid of the 100 pounds of flab that's most likely making everything worse.

Hall was pretty much stuck in a wheelchair before his surgery, wasn't he? His problems were probably more repairable than Foley's though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
When Lesnar came back to the WWE a few years ago, what was the consensus on how he'd be used? Certainly it didn't go as intended.