Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

How bad is the whole 'slashing damage sucks' thing, really? I feel like I like the Greatsword more than the Large Club, among the strength weapons I have so far.

I just released Straid, too; are any of the boss weapons worth a drat or should I just buy the spells first, then get the weapons later for completions' sake?

If you like big ol' greatswords, Pursuer's Greastword's got a solid A scale in strength. Petrified dragon bones can be a pain in the rear end to find though. Not that you'd use Pursuer's soul for spells anyways.

Unless you want to make Velstadt's chime hammer, the only souls that have both weapons and spells attached to them are the NG+ versions of the big four bosses. I hear good things about Moonlight Greatsword for spellcasters, and Crypt Blacksword for hexers, but that's really it.

edit: There actually is a greatsword that deals Strike damage, but it takes a boss soul from basically the end of the game. S scale in strength though, and it can eat armor durability.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ciaphas posted:

How bad is the whole 'slashing damage sucks' thing, really? I feel like I like the Greatsword more than the Large Club, among the strength weapons I have so far.

I just released Straid, too; are any of the boss weapons worth a drat or should I just buy the spells first, then get the weapons later for completions' sake?

When you get into super high amounts of damage it stops being as noticeable, but striking weapons are significantly better. That large club will be doing more damage. Maybe not an extreme difference like a smaller sword and the mace, but you will be doing less.

If you like the Greatsword's moveset then go for it, you won't be completely gimped.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well, I dunno what kind of difference it makes that I did every boss and grinded heide's to 2 trying to get the armor set (which even with coins and full item discovery armor it still took way too loving long) that I ended the game with about 4m in soul memory, and I didn't even pop boss souls :|

Not sure what happened there.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Most of the boss weapons are dumb gimmicks, have bad stats, or can't take an infusion/buff. Petrified dragon bones are also rare as gently caress in the early game, so you'll be walking around with a +2 weapon at best for like 70% of the game. Unless you get super lucky at smooth and silky drops. A couple of them are really good though, and most of the spells are really good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TGLT posted:

If you like big ol' greatswords, Pursuer's Greastword's got a solid A scale in strength. Petrified dragon bones can be a pain in the rear end to find though. Not that you'd use Pursuer's soul for spells anyways.

Unless you want to make Velstadt's chime hammer, the only souls that have both weapons and spells attached to them are the NG+ versions of the big four bosses. I hear good things about Moonlight Greatsword for spellcasters, and Crypt Blacksword for hexers, but that's really it.

edit: There actually is a greatsword that deals Strike damage, but it takes a boss soul from basically the end of the game. S scale in strength though, and it can eat armor durability.

If you have the faith to account for it the Defender's Greatsword is great, though it's gonna be doing a lot more lightning damage than physical and you should build accordingly. Also keep in mind that stuff like the Pursuer's and that strike damage one are ultra greatswords, which are different.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Get staggered, Smelter Demon. (Yes, I actually managed to)

This is the most hilarious gimmick. I've got Hidden Weapon for PVP. Still cant kill many people cause of how heavy it is.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Daynab posted:

This is the most hilarious gimmick. I've got Hidden Weapon for PVP. Still cant kill many people cause of how heavy it is.

I really want to powerstance those. I even have two. 75 STR through, ouch.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Daynab posted:

What some fun PVP? Go to Belltower and focus on dropping from the 2nd floor to the 1st. If the damage is similar to Great Axe you can get some sick 1-shots.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Studio posted:

What some fun PVP? Go to Belltower and focus on dropping from the 2nd floor to the 1st. If the damage is similar to Great Axe you can get some sick 1-shots.

Everyone that I've ever managed to stagger (that is, very few people) have died in one hit from the riposte or backstab. But in straight up fights the damage just isn't worth it. Still ridiculously satisfying to kill bosses with it though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I just got summoned by "C**sen Und***" :allears:

(what the hell is "ead" that it had to block that out, I wonder....)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

As a host, I kind of take care to play as defensively as possible.

I feel so bad when I die to some dumb mistake (I'm mostly melee so go figure), when I phantomed for The Rotten I got grabbed and crushed all the time, either by lag or a bit of a mistiming with the dodging.

Get so many hosts that play like total garbage and don't even bother to keep their distance when it's their first time fighting a boss, I feel like studying an enemy for a bit before moving in for an attack is pretty much the first thing you learn to do and so many people, as late as the last couple of bosses bull rush or spam sorceries from close-range. Just :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do any of the scythe weapons not suck? Trying to use the Great Scythe is an exercise in frustration.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

As a host, I kind of take care to play as defensively as possible.

I feel so bad when I die to some dumb mistake (I'm mostly melee so go figure), when I phantomed for The Rotten I got grabbed and split in half all the time, either by lag or a bit of a mistiming with the dodging.

Get so many hosts that play like total garbage and don't even bother to keep their distance when it's their first time fighting a boss, I feel like studying an enemy for a bit before moving in for an attack is pretty much the first thing you learn to do and so many people, as late as the last couple of bosses bull rush or spam sorceries from close-range. Just :psyduck:

Same. I try not to come off as a lazy host that just wants to be carried, but I also dont want to waste people's time just rushing in and getting poo poo-on by bosses. Its a delicate dance!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you have the faith to account for it the Defender's Greatsword is great, though it's gonna be doing a lot more lightning damage than physical and you should build accordingly. Also keep in mind that stuff like the Pursuer's and that strike damage one are ultra greatswords, which are different.

The Greatsword is also, strangely enough, an ultra-greatsword as well.

Blame Guts for the confusion.

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
Ok, so in a few recent player invasions other players (wielding a sword and shield) and myself (same sword and shield) have essentially been one-hitting me when my shield is up. They get real close, do some sort of parry or something and the next second I am on my knees being decapitated in one hit. What am I doing wrong? or what is the keys to do this attack?

Im using a 360 controller.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know, I actually like that since it creates some hilarious situations where everyone tries to crowd around the glowing healing ball. I'm not looking for a way to heal in the middle of a fight though, I just need something to get rid of the chip damage I accumulate after cutting through the hosts disposable phantom allies.

He's right though. Anyone can be a badass if they have an authentic legendary sword of power, but only a true man can still manage to crush skulls using a cheap plastic knockoff.

Is Bernhart supposed to be like Solaire, where no matter how lovely the hand you're dealt with, you can still make much more of it?

That sounds like something you can put on an item.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is Bernhart supposed to be like Solaire, where no matter how lovely the hand you're dealt with, you can still make much more of it?

That sounds like something you can put on an item.

He is 100% is Solaire, given that he's the only NPC in the game besides Vengarl that makes it to the end of the game, and does so in a manner that is equal to your journey given that you see him in a memory, too. Hell, he one-ups Solaire by making it regardless of whether you do his quest or not!

Seriously though his weapon is so, so, so terrible.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Speaking of names, is there any way to change your name? I didn't realize it would be displaying my character's name and kinda want it to be a little less...lame.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

whoa wait what why is there a second pursuer :pwn:

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

If you didn't have to grind for armor, there probably wouldn't be so many Havels. People probably don't even know there are other armors in the game. The only reason I know there are other armors is because I keep checking the thread. I played through half the game using the starting heavy leather because I was waiting for full sets to be found in chests like in DS1, and I didn't feel like wearing any of the dozen random rags I found.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hamsalad posted:

Ok, so in a few recent player invasions other players (wielding a sword and shield) and myself (same sword and shield) have essentially been one-hitting me when my shield is up. They get real close, do some sort of parry or something and the next second I am on my knees being decapitated in one hit. What am I doing wrong? or what is the keys to do this attack?

Theyre guard breaking you which sets you up for a riposte. Don't keep your shield up so much. Forward + light attack is how you do it.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Hamsalad posted:

They're guard-breaking you. After they do it there is a small window where they can riposte you.

In regards to Bernhardt/Solaire, my memory is a little fuzzy but didn't the descriptions on Solaires equipment state quite clearly that it was all totally ordinary? I think that's how you were suppose to puzzle out that he was Gwyn's firstborn or something. Maybe it's something similar with Bernhardt.

Ciaphas posted:

whoa wait what why is there a second pursuer :pwn:

I have some bad news for you

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 6, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So anyone know a way to cheese the two cyclops guarding the coffin right at the start? I have a terrible idea involving the ladle but need it at the start of my run.

White Phosphorus posted:

If you didn't have to grind for armor, there probably wouldn't be so many Havels. People probably don't even know there are other armors in the game. The only reason I know there are other armors is because I keep checking the thread. I played through half the game using the starting heavy leather because I was waiting for full sets to be found in chests like in DS1, and I didn't feel like wearing any of the dozen random rags I found.

I found plenty of full sets of armour. You really don't have to grind unless you want a specific set of armour. Havel's is in a really obscure location you're probably not going to find on your own. You have to pay Giligan the maximum amount of souls to set up a ladder which will allow you access to where the armour is hidden. You'd have to be really observant to notice the door its behind since its hidden in the Majula pit descent, and you'd also have to guess that Giligan's ladder will give you access to it.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
After a two hour long poor decision I made it :negative:.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Havel's is actually in an even more obscure location in the gutter. People are definitely seeking it out because they're lame.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Ugh, I just killed a guy in Belfry Sol who gave me like, 200,000 souls this time. I DON'T WANT THAT MUCH MEMORY.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Internet Kraken posted:

So anyone know a way to cheese the two cyclops guarding the coffin right at the start? I have a terrible idea involving the ladle but need it at the start of my run.

Arrows?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I found plenty of full sets of armour. You really don't have to grind unless you want a specific set of armour. Havel's is in a really obscure location you're probably not going to find on your own. You have to pay Giligan the maximum amount of souls to set up a ladder which will allow you access to where the armour is hidden. You'd have to be really observant to notice the door its behind since its hidden in the Majula pit descent, and you'd also have to guess that Giligan's ladder will give you access to it.

There are all sorts of crazy obscure quests like these. The developers know anyone sane would wiki this poo poo, so they didn't bother to leave a lot of hints around.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know what you are talking about. I found it the gutter/black gulch way. There were many messages. Saying "armor ahead", "door then armor", "key armor" all that poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Benny D posted:

In regards to Bernhardt/Solaire, my memory is a little fuzzy but didn't the descriptions on Solaires equipment state quite clearly that it was all totally ordinary? I think that's how you were suppose to puzzle out that he was Gwyn's firstborn or something. Maybe it's something similar with Bernhardt.

I always thought that Solaire was a little short to be Gwyn's firstborn. It's cooler that he's just a guy really obsessed with his sun to me that he gets exactly as far as you do without any bullshit (if you save him from a bug).

e: How the gently caress did an invader aggro all the enemies in an area on me without me getting in their range?

e: How did a gold phantom do a spin attack through the looking glass knight to kill me? What's happening?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 6, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

White Phosphorus posted:

I don't know what you are talking about. I found it the gutter/black gulch way. There were many messages. Saying "armor ahead", "door then armor", "key armor" all that poo poo.

Sorry, I was thinking of a different obscure treasure room :downs:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I was doing soapstone runs today when I noticed a player with a really eye-catching bit of gear - it looked like an ethereal, ghostly woman just holding onto the player's back in an embrace. Anyone know what I mean?

It was in Dragon Shrine, the guy chucked me out just before ancient dragon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I was doing soapstone runs today when I noticed a player with a really eye-catching bit of gear - it looked like an ethereal, ghostly woman just holding onto the player's back in an embrace. Anyone know what I mean?

It was in Dragon Shrine, the guy chucked me out just before ancient dragon.

Gower's ring of protection. It makes you invulnerable from the back.

e: It's still dumb as poo poo that you can die before the looking glass knight finishes summoning you.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 6, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I always thought that Solaire was a little short to be Gwyn's firstborn. It's cooler that he's just a guy really obsessed with his sun to me that he gets exactly as far as you do without any bullshit (if you save him from a bug).

I always saw him as being like Herakles/Hercules.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Do any of the scythe weapons not suck? Trying to use the Great Scythe is an exercise in frustration.

Reapers are good. They can pierce shields with certain attacks and have decent damage (though they could be a bit stronger IMO) as well as being fairly fast. Here's a video of one of the better pvpers using the full moon sickle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPC9XFvTLMQ

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Dandywalken posted:

NG+? If so, I'm on standby to gently caress 'er up :twisted:

Nope, took her down. I just learned to never get too far away from her so she only does melee attacks and her laser is neutered. Also to murder the little spiders ASAP. It took me only 2 tries after that.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ciaphas posted:

Slashing damage is still pretty solid, thrust damage is the one thats kinda bad either due to resistances or having some specific sweet point of the animation to max damage.

Although strike damage is just great against everything, but nothing wrong with slash damage.

edit: tracking on ancient dragon can be kinda bullshot

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=256942802

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 6, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thrust damage is better than slash; it's not as good as strike but still better than slash in most cases. If you're getting less damage it's either because thrusting weapons tend to have lower AR overall (cause they're mostly rapiers and spears) or because you're not hitting with the sweet spot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now I'm seeing dudes attacking me mid estus chug. Blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Had a pretty memorable Undead Crypt run tonight. I was there for the first time and had just white phantom'd my way through helping someone to get the lay of the land. Then I summoned a couple white phantoms to return the favor and go clear the zone. Almost immediately, a red phantom (human) invaded. We puttered around the second bonfire for a bit but he didn't show his face.

So, we began to clear toward the boss. Not really a spoiler -- there's an area where you have to make a (temporarily) 1-way drop down. Guess where the red invader was waiting.

My white-bros went down and I sniped from the top for a bit, then figured, what the heck, it's only Dark Souls. I dropped down. There were tons of lydia witches down there, plenty of zombies, every bell was rung and statue triggered and tons of aggro. One white-bro went down but the other was pretty competent. We managed to regroup in a hallway and heal up a bit, while the invader tried to snipe at us from the edge -- but he was basically out of his good ranged attacks. The NPCs were not following. We pushed back in and I nailed the invader with a pair of emit force spells as he was trying to avoid the white-bro and navigate the area, and that was the end of mister red. Meanwhile, tons of lydia witches are still around, more still spawning, and were maybe more dangerous than the invader. I sniped them down and their source with emit force while the phantom kept gesturing for me to leave them be and move on to the boss -- but I had to clear the room to use the pharros and get another copy of GLS!

After that, it was pretty routine. I summoned a sun bro in the next clearing and we moved toward the boss, and during that clear my original remaining white phantom got a duty fulfilled before the boss: it had taken that long and we had killed so much. I summoned the local NPC for #2 pal and we took down the boss no problem. Happy to be moving on!

Unrelated: Shrine of Amana was great! Real easy zone for a caster and first farmable source of Twinkling Titanite? Is there another farmable source soon in the game, or is it common in NG+ replacing regular titanite drops? I genocided some of the NPCs near the last bonfire there just for their drops. Got a full Archdrake set to go with the prior mentioned loot.