Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drops and item placements are the same in ng+. Would be nice if they upgraded with you but they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

When invading, you start out with however much HP you had, spell charges, etc. and boy is that the dumbest thing. I mean my healing abilities are already super limited as an invader, it just seems like a pretty arbitrary penalty.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

When invading, you start out with however much HP you had, spell charges, etc. and boy is that the dumbest thing. I mean my healing abilities are already super limited as an invader, it just seems like a pretty arbitrary penalty.

How is that dumb? Unless you're invading in the middle of a level that's never going to be an issue.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What soul memory are people usually at for Huntsman Copse? I've been trying to pump up my soul memory by co-oping some bosses, but I feel like I'm seeing a lot less symbols the than my blindrun where I probably had 5-10x the soul memory for each area. I'm up to 144k now.

Also, meet 'Bubbles'

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bobnumerotres posted:

*shrug* top off and deal with it?

Invading is basically there for griefing players, you don't have much at stake as the invader aside from your cracked eye ticket fee. Not to mention theres no guarantee the host will be human and have phantoms assisting them. While all the monsters are basically your allies.

But yeah deal with it cause poo poo ain't fair when it comes to pvp. And gently caress invaders removing my summon sign :negative:, then I gotta head on over back and set it down again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think at 2.5 million soul memory I finally outleveled new game pvp almost entirely except for the dragon remnants and looking glass knight. I can't even get summoned at the iron keep's bridge. I don't even see any other red signs.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

RBA Starblade posted:

e: It's still dumb as poo poo that you can die before the looking glass knight finishes summoning you.

I wound up having to do that fight like six times so I don't even feel bad about sunlight spearing you point blank.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I think at 2.5 million soul memory I finally outleveled new game pvp almost entirely except for the dragon remnants and looking glass knight. I can't even get summoned at the iron keep's bridge. I don't even see any other red signs.

Do bloodbro duels, I get hits at 10 mil sm (on ps3, granted).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PublicOpinion posted:

I wound up having to do that fight like six times so I don't even feel bad about sunlight spearing you point blank.

I'm not even out of the loading screen yet!

quote:

Do bloodbro duels, I get hits at 10 mil sm (on ps3, granted).

I'll try that again, but last time I tried those with the blood and blue covenant nothing ever happened. I can't complain too much, I think almost half my time in the game's been pvp. It's just poo poo that I'm eventually forced out of it.

e: I know I've complained about it a lot itt but it's a really awful thing in the game.

e: I think the dexterity weapons' damage being bad is made up by their hitbox being three times the length and width of the weapon too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 6, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not even out of the loading screen yet!

Kill me once, shame on me. Kill me like five times and I'm so over this poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dammit, I wanted to do a ladle only run but it has the worst durability out of any item. Its not even possible to work around it since it literally broke on the first two hollows I tried to fight with it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the terrible weapon is, in fact, terrible :v:

Now I need to think of a new gimmick weapon though. I've always wanted to do a shield run but this game seems to lack offensive shields aside from those duo shields in the crypt.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Dammit, I wanted to do a ladle only run but it has the worst durability out of any item. Its not even possible to work around it since it literally broke on the first two hollows I tried to fight with it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the terrible weapon is, in fact, terrible :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMM5u67R0W0

If you have sufficient sperg you can do anything

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

How is that dumb? Unless you're invading in the middle of a level that's never going to be an issue.

Because it affects being randomly summoned by the eighty covenants with summon rings? If I'm not paying attention I'll get summoned to someone's world with little to no HP and no healing spells.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobnumerotres posted:

If I'm not paying attention

There is the problem. If you don't like it then just take off the ring if you feel you aren't combat ready. Either way it's not like you actually lose anything if you fail in such a situation. Fighting as a phantom is risk free.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn, I hate the PvP in this game so much yet I am hopelessly adicted to it. It's so incredibly infuriating, specially because there are some builds that just seem impossible to beat. As a meele dude I only beat like 1 in 10 people using any of this:

-people who spam that double spin r2 move, you cant block it, you cant roll away or run away or do anything really

-people who use the twin blade that also works a spear, I cant get close and I cant outrange them

-loving hexers

Any tips?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chomp8645 posted:

There is the problem. If you don't like it then just take off the ring if you feel you aren't combat ready. Either way it's not like you actually lose anything if you fail in such a situation. Fighting as a phantom is risk free.

Welll, you are using up durability, estus and casts the whole time you're in there, and you don't get that stuff back if things go south, so. :shrug:

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I did some experiments with poise. And it seems like it works like this. If you are just standing around doing nothing, then poise does nothing and the slightest hit will stagger you. However if you are performing actions (I tried parrying and punching bare fisted) that's when poise prevents you from being interrupted. Also, when you are naked the attack seems to move you back.

I tried this on the hollows with spears in the FoFG. Strip naked, let them stun lock you, and then try punching them or parrying, you can't do anything. Put on full havel, let them stun lock you, then try punching, once you get a punch in you stop being stun locked, and you are both hitting each other without staggering.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Internet Kraken posted:

Now I need to think of a new gimmick weapon though. I've always wanted to do a shield run but this game seems to lack offensive shields aside from those duo shields in the crypt.

I'm doing a shield-only run (holding it two-handed) right now on a new guy and it is extremely effective, actually it's a very easy playthrough so far. I'm using the pre-order bound wooden shield because it had a bit higher attack than the others + some bleed, and the red rust shield is an alternative. The only problem with these two shields is their durability is only 60, so you gotta get some repair powders or the durability ring.

The two shields you're talking about that can be power-stanced are actually way worse for this, because the normal shields let you do something special when they're 2-handed that great shields can't do: attack WHILE blocking with the shield charge. It is the only real advantage to this run and it is fantastic. Nobody seems to understand what's going on with it in PVP and always get themselves locked up. I haven't run into any melee opponents who could handle this build yet because every attack or roll they try to do backfires on them tremendously.

You can straight shieldbash a lot of the enemies to death in 2 or 3 hits once you upgrade the shield a little. The only thing you have to watch is that your stamina doesn't get completely drained and you can just mash your way through the bosses without even waiting for openings. Still have to dodge on some of the big attacks though, in that case your shield just becomes a really average weapon.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Wow; One of the curved swords, the Painting Guardian one, has like a billion active parry frames when in the left hand. I'm parrying dudes like crazy and one-hit killing them with a Resonant Weapon dagger. It's great fun.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Welll, you are using up durability, estus and casts the whole time you're in there, and you don't get that stuff back if things go south, so. :shrug:

Yeah the point of those rings is that it's something in the background, you can chill and play through the story while getting casually summoned for some PvP. The penalty is just a lame inconvenience, I don't think "lol get gud scrub" is much of a defense for it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

babypolis posted:

Goddamn, I hate the PvP in this game so much yet I am hopelessly adicted to it. It's so incredibly infuriating, specially because there are some builds that just seem impossible to beat. As a meele dude I only beat like 1 in 10 people using any of this:

-people who spam that double spin r2 move, you cant block it, you cant roll away or run away or do anything really

-people who use the twin blade that also works a spear, I cant get close and I cant outrange them

-loving hexers

Any tips?

For 1 and 2, roll towards them and then backstab/stunlock kill or parry them- with good armor you can actually take the first hit and then parry a lot of those attacks, hilariously. The spin is really telegraphed so it's not too hard to parry- if they're running at you then get ready, and if they do the R2 version then just react to the super slow startup animation.

For 3, get the Rebel's Greatshield and dark infuse it and laugh in the face of pure hexers forever.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Two work hooks? One normal, the other poison or something? And as much pirate-looking gear as you can find.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Power stancing two Blue flames is hilarious. Some people just have no idea what to do against you.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Also it seems people with any sort of infused weapon just wreck me if they get a combo off, but I tried getting some magic for enchanted blade and it doesnt seem to be doing much. Do I need to invest heavily into int or whatever to make it work? Does the staff I use matter at all? I have been using the most basic unupgraded staff and Im not sure if thats a bad idea or not.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is 145 poise excessive for PVE? I've got Havel's set due to being poo poo, and its NG+. Should I ditch the Giant's ring +1 and just go with the set/shield's benefits?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

babypolis posted:

-loving hexers

Any tips?

AVELYN

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah the point of those rings is that it's something in the background, you can chill and play through the story while getting casually summoned for some PvP. The penalty is just a lame inconvenience, I don't think "lol get gud scrub" is much of a defense for it.

There are only two rings in the game that summon you to fight somebody (beside the Rat Kings, and that one doesn't apply here). In both cases your going in with an advantage anyway, either because you're an arbiter and it's 2v1 or it's the bell towers and it's probably 2v1 plus mobs. Not having full health/items/spells in those situations is hardly a handicap. If you don't realize that then I'm sorry, but you are indeed a scrub and should get better. If you can't win 2v1 fights just because you don't have all your poo poo full then you're pretty bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fereydun posted:

For 3, get the Rebel's Greatshield and dark infuse it and laugh in the face of pure hexers forever.

It's not that hard to just roll to the left either. God knows I've died more often to that followed by lightning grand lance's hitbox being about as broken as washing pole's than anything.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 6, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I keep meaning to get to that but I progress so slowly in this game due endless pvping

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dandywalken posted:

Is 145 poise excessive for PVE? I've got Havel's set due to being poo poo, and its NG+. Should I ditch the Giant's ring +1 and just go with the set/shield's benefits?

There is no reason whatsoever to stack Poise for PvE really. That's a PvP concern if at all.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TGLT posted:

There actually is a greatsword that deals Strike damage, but it takes a boss soul from basically the end of the game. S scale in strength though, and it can eat armor durability.

wait really? which greatsword is this?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

From is a bunch of incompetent apes.

Before release they were swearing that this time they're focusing on multiplayer and that it's going to lag free this time. Just like most other things they promised it obviously tuned out to be total bullshit.
Three times in a row now I got killed while being 3-5 meter from the opponent, walking backwards, and they somehow managed to backstab me. I literally teleported 5 meters into a backstab animation.

Okay, fine. I suppose that network code is hard to program or something but tell me, what's the point of the "Restricted Cross-Region Play" option if it's going to matchmake me, from central Europe, with people from Australia?

Pre-release promotional materials had so much bullshit in them I don't think I'll ever pre-order anything else again, especially from From.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

2.5M is where I finally gave up on NG after exterminating half the world and beating every boss except Ancient Dragon and Darklurker. I see lots of red symbols in NG+.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Question: is there any daggers that give bonus crit damage like the starter daggers but don't suck rear end?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jack Trades posted:

From is a bunch of incompetent apes.
:words:

Take a chill pill. Everybody gets lag in every game every now and then.
DS2 connectivity and server performance is vastly improved over DS1 as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a co-op guy. The difference between GFWL and Steam is huge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The moment you equip Avelyn you have officially given up your funhaver card.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It just occurred to me that Aldia's Keep is basically the Dark Souls equivalent of the Spencer Mansion.

sakeyake posted:

2.5M is where I finally gave up on NG after exterminating half the world and beating every boss except Ancient Dragon and Darklurker. I see lots of red symbols in NG+.

I have done a lot of multiplayer then.

quote:

Question: is there any daggers that give bonus crit damage like the starter daggers but don't suck rear end?

Just use resonant weapon and you can instant kill fools like me in no time flat. I died faster than the game could drain my hp when it happened to me.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hey, I was disguising myself as a pot and summoning dragonbros in Iron Keep. Hopefully, I killed one of you or vice versa. PvP is lots of fun. I also use a ton of the sorceries I typically don't use, like Soul Shower and Shockwave. I should go around spamming Emit Force later.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

The moment you equip Avelyn you have officially given up your funhaver card.

Nah, the moment you power stance Avelyns you give up your funhaver card. Just one is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Fashion Souls!

I didn't have the patience to farm the entire Mad Warrior set, but I got the important bit.