Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so I think the last time i played this was back in june 2012.. It's been a while. The thing that made me stop was the military system being still a huge pain in the rear end. I was my dwarves to actually fight guys and not set up Zig Zag paths for my archers but it was hard to train them up. I've been reading little updates here and there but is there any plans to fix the military system more coming with the next release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Lava can solve all of your problems quickly.

Got an annoying noble? Lava. Refuse stockpiles full? Lava. Useless invader gear? Lava. Pets breeding faster then your butchers can capture them and dice them up into delicious chunks? Lava.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so I think the last time i played this was back in june 2012.. It's been a while. The thing that made me stop was the military system being still a huge pain in the rear end. I was my dwarves to actually fight guys and not set up Zig Zag paths for my archers but it was hard to train them up. I've been reading little updates here and there but is there any plans to fix the military system more coming with the next release?

This. The military system is just such a pain. I miss when troops would go train without a complex string of commands and stuff to check first.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

First tantrum? You need some more tantrums. Ideally you want your most important dwarves to be jaded and friendless. Even if the rest of the fort goes into a spiral, they'll be continuing on like all is well. I'm not sure how to harden my dwarves hearts just yet, but my current plan is for important dwarves to have pets which eventually die off.

I'm not sure why some of my dwarves are only mildly upset about members of their family dying, but others freak out and start attacking people and livestock simply because they don't have nice socks to wear.

Surrounding dwarves with beautiful things is a decent way to mitigate little problems in their lives. I suggest getting some masterwork doors and encrusting them with tons of gems. Not everyone, but some of the dwarves walking through these doors in a busy hallway will get happy thoughts.

Stone crafts? Those are pittances. Wait until you get a legendary cook. Merchants are crazy for your prepared meals.

I really don't need more tantrums. The engraving work perfectly fine, especially when even their workspace is covered in masterworks.

The doors could be a good idea, actually. I'll do that more often, since I barely find the time to micro that sort of stuff. Is there a way to engrave a specific item?

Also, nah. The food is mine, and I don't like rocks cluttered over my fortress anyway.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Michaellaneous posted:

I really don't need more tantrums. The engraving work perfectly fine, especially when even their workspace is covered in masterworks.

The doors could be a good idea, actually. I'll do that more often, since I barely find the time to micro that sort of stuff. Is there a way to engrave a specific item?

Also, nah. The food is mine, and I don't like rocks cluttered over my fortress anyway.

The only way I've found to manage encrusting items with gems is to give the gem setter no other options. Otherwise they'll grab all kinds of random furniture. It's kind of pain to micro-manage gem setting, but now I have some beautiful doors which, in addition to providing happy thoughts, tell a good portion of my fort's history in gem mosaics.

..also the doors depict jaguars killing people. My dwarves are nuts over giant jaguars and their exploits for reasons unknown to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

The only way I've found to manage encrusting items with gems is to give the gem setter no other options. Otherwise they'll grab all kinds of random furniture. It's kind of pain to micro-manage gem setting, but now I have some beautiful doors which, in addition to providing happy thoughts, tell a good portion of my fort's history in gem mosaics.

..also the doors depict jaguars killing people. My dwarves are nuts over giant jaguars and their exploits for reasons unknown to me.

Check whoever made the doors, or whoever encrusted them, it may be that some of your artists are fond of giant jaguars so they will make lots of pictures of them.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

OwlFancier posted:

Check whoever made the doors, or whoever encrusted them, it may be that some of your artists are fond of giant jaguars so they will make lots of pictures of them.

I checked and the gem setter likes bat rays. No mention of giant jaguars, but there has to be a cabal of dwarves from the first few migration waves who like them. Giant jaguar statues, figurines, engravings - the floors of my fort are covered in capital Js, with the giant jaguars killing a bunch of humans and the odd dwarf. I'm not sure why, either, because the main engraving dwarf likes floating guts.

Someone is circulating tales of giant jaguars. Really they should be the symbol of my civilization.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I checked and the gem setter likes bat rays. No mention of giant jaguars, but there has to be a cabal of dwarves from the first few migration waves who like them. Giant jaguar statues, figurines, engravings - the floors of my fort are covered in capital Js, with the giant jaguars killing a bunch of humans and the odd dwarf. I'm not sure why, either, because the main engraving dwarf likes floating guts.

Someone is circulating tales of giant jaguars. Really they should be the symbol of my civilization.

This is what makes Dwarf Fortress so awesome.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Most annoying thing about the military is how, if you put them back on patrol/training after a break, they'll immediately return to the maximum level of anger about the length of their service. I'm not sure this bug has been fixed but it always kept the military on a razor edge for me, and they tended to cap off every battle with a minor meltdown.

Other than that the system isnt really that annoying to deal with, just a complete brick wall to try to understand. Being able to set up kill orders and more complicated automated patrols is a pretty fun feature.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doesn't dfhack include fixes for that?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's definitely a fix for it in the LNP version. There's also a description of how to binary patch it on the bug page.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

You mean some people DON'T set up a goblinchute for their feasting dwarves to become desensitized? There's nothing like eating finely minced cow milk while watching goblins explode into gory chunks upon falling down a 10 story high chasm

:confused:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 4, 2014

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Hey, it's better than having them repeatedly engrave the grand story of how an ettin walked through some swamps once 90 years ago.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I had quite a few tantrums today as my 10 man marks-dwarves squad weren't assigned shoes and were made fun of.

Poor dwarves.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I have another vampire in my fortress. First one is walled off in his room / office taking stock.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Catsplosion posted:

I had quite a few tantrums today as my 10 man marks-dwarves squad weren't assigned shoes and were made fun of.

Poor dwarves.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I have another vampire in my fortress. First one is walled off in his room / office taking stock.

This sums up perfectly why I haven't really played in the last few years. Until there is a "MAKE SENSIBLE DECISIONS ON YOUR OWN UNLESS I loving TELL YOU TO" command that is implemented somewhere, the constant need for micro-management at the moment really bugs me. I mean, it's neat and all to do it for a few separate dwarves, but for 150? When you have to know more about some of your dwarves than your own family members, it's time for things to be adjusted a bit.

I think Toady eventually has plans to do this, but for right now I'm not really seeing it in the immediate future. Guess I'll just have to wait until then.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Catsplosion posted:

Poor dwarves.

My dwarves were throwing tantrums because of lack of mittens, shoes, dresses to go over their trousers, etc. So I started cranking out the clothes from my strategic cloth & leather reserves. You can't can have unhappy dwarves, but only for so long.

Unfortunately because of the equipment managing bug introduced in one of the more "recent" releases, now instead of throwing the occasional tantrum my dwarves spend all of their time leaving their older clothes wherever they happen to be standing, getting new clothes in preference to their jobs, and shuffling around picking up their older clothes and storing them away. The children especially have vast hordes of clothes crapping up the fort, although at least since they don't have jobs occupying them they manage to bring their clothes to their room (when they are not drinking all of the alcohol).
:psydwarf:
In another four years or so the kids will all be grown up and I can force them to be productive.

I miss the halcyon days when I didn't even notice that after three years or so the dwarves were completely naked except for armor. And I think there was a time when a dwarf would only forget their clothes where they picked up a newer replacement, although maybe I only dreamed this?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Catsplosion posted:

At least my vampire doesn't care that their clothes rotted off -- they're content to just languish in the bottom of a half-filled well.

Hunting vampires was cooler when the accusing system was implemented in justice. With a little creativity and managing I killed off useless dwarves and let the vampire get away with it by accusing slightly-useful but quarrelsome dwarves of the murder.

My favorite vampire was when it turned out my fortress's physician was a vampire. That one took a while for me to discover.

The best part about it was they were an excellent doctor. Most of their patients recovered enough to be out the door in a week or so, hobbling off to their jobs and militia training. But every fort has a few lollygaggers, healing very slowly or milking their hospital stay.

Dr. Acula would visit these malingering dwarves while they slept to perform a rejuvenating bloodletting.
:twisted:

Anyone else have favorite vampire stories?

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
please enjoy some art from russian df thread on 2ch.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Suicide Sam E. posted:

My dwarves were throwing tantrums because of lack of mittens, shoes, dresses to go over their trousers, etc. So I started cranking out the clothes from my strategic cloth & leather reserves. You can't can have unhappy dwarves, but only for so long.

Unfortunately because of the equipment managing bug introduced in one of the more "recent" releases, now instead of throwing the occasional tantrum my dwarves spend all of their time leaving their older clothes wherever they happen to be standing, getting new clothes in preference to their jobs, and shuffling around picking up their older clothes and storing them away. The children especially have vast hordes of clothes crapping up the fort, although at least since they don't have jobs occupying them they manage to bring their clothes to their room (when they are not drinking all of the alcohol).
:psydwarf:
In another four years or so the kids will all be grown up and I can force them to be productive.

I miss the halcyon days when I didn't even notice that after three years or so the dwarves were completely naked except for armor. And I think there was a time when a dwarf would only forget their clothes where they picked up a newer replacement, although maybe I only dreamed this?

Dfhack's command "cleanowned" should fix that, afaik.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aydjile posted:

You should probably mirror images you want to share from places like that. (They referrer-blocked it so nothing shows up for others.)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Aydjile posted:

The definition of DF!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Aydjile posted:

That's gorgeous! Thank you :)

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

nielsm posted:

You should probably mirror images you want to share from places like that. (They referrer-blocked it so nothing shows up for others.)

Haha, that's excellent, all it's missing is a dwarf skeleton at the bottom of that river.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I wonder if that has anything to do with the Russian translation project that the localization patcher was born from.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve

scamtank posted:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the Russian translation project that the localization patcher was born from.

not really. its just some guy decided to draw pictures for our dwarf fortress tread on russian \vg\.
oh, and yes. there is a skeleton of a miner dwarf on other version-fragment of this painting.

nielsm posted:

and how do i do that?

Aydjile fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 5, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh hey look more news.

Toady One posted:

I managed to fix a bug whereby hydras would sever the same body part multiple times if they got a bunch of near-simultaneous strikes, handled broken mushroom cap ramps, another problem with god conversations... and then went back to aching and inability to think. Zach and I both got Norwalk'd or something eating at the same fine establishment and were completely out of it on Saturday. We can keep food down today but still have to recover our energy and general sense of well-being. Pretty sure I'll be almost 100% tomorrow, so that's good anyway.

:(

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

This sums up perfectly why I haven't really played in the last few years. Until there is a "MAKE SENSIBLE DECISIONS ON YOUR OWN UNLESS I loving TELL YOU TO" command that is implemented somewhere, the constant need for micro-management at the moment really bugs me. I mean, it's neat and all to do it for a few separate dwarves, but for 150? When you have to know more about some of your dwarves than your own family members, it's time for things to be adjusted a bit.

I think Toady eventually has plans to do this, but for right now I'm not really seeing it in the immediate future. Guess I'll just have to wait until then.

It can be rather annoying. Especially when your dwarves continually cancel picking up shoes for no reason whatsoever. I think it's an old bug that can continue to happen, although often it is due to better items being created / available.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

At least my vampire doesn't care that their clothes rotted off -- they're content to just languish in the bottom of a half-filled well.

Hunting vampires was cooler when the accusing system was implemented in justice. With a little creativity and managing I killed off useless dwarves and let the vampire get away with it by accusing slightly-useful but quarrelsome dwarves of the murder.

My favourite vampire was when it turned out my fortress's physician was a vampire. That one took a while for me to discover.

The best part about it was they were an excellent doctor. Most of their patients recovered enough to be out the door in a week or so, hobbling off to their jobs and militia training. But every fort has a few lollygaggers, healing very slowly or milking their hospital stay.

Dr. Acula would visit these malingering dwarves while they slept to perform a rejuvenating bloodletting.
:twisted:

Anyone else have favourite vampire stories?

Haha neither does mine. I will eventually get around to building a well and killing him so that my dwarves can all become creatures of the night. Vampire forts sound fun.

Mine was the mayor. To be fair if I was a vampire dwarf I would do the same. Infiltrate a fortress and put myself in a position of power. Having one as a doctor is pretty hilarious though!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Catsplosion posted:

It can be rather annoying. Especially when your dwarves continually cancel picking up shoes for no reason whatsoever. I think it's an old bug that can continue to happen, although often it is due to better items being created / available.

After the first 20, I stop microing my dwarves. Ignore them all, let dwarf therapist sort'em out. I tend to rely on "surely one of these idiots is set to *job*" and I'm usually fine. If not, I pick an idler or planter at random (peasants are usually legendary swordsdwarves off-duty). The only time I micro from then on is with trying to get the idiotic legendary soldiers to wear the nice adamantine poo poo I made for them.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if I want to try Masterwork, are there some default options I should turn off or are they all good? or all they all bad

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'd turn off slagworks and most of the harder ______ options. Once you figure out how to use the advanced buildings for whatever race, then it's probably ok to go ahead and turn on more difficulty settings.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And turn off research. Imagine if you want to build a building you'll need to gather everything needed to make said building, and you have a chance of the game just going "Nah you aint building this" and you lose all your materials.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Does that make the research buildings available from the start, or does it just remove them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Removes them and the need to research the advance buildings. Want to make a magma crucible right out of the gate without having to spend time gathering the building materials, researching it, wait through each step hoping that you don't just fail and lose everything and have to either research again or mess with the library to make copy of the blueprints to make a second one? Now you can.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Leal posted:

Removes them and the need to research the advance buildings. Want to make a magma crucible right out of the gate without having to spend time gathering the building materials, researching it, wait through each step hoping that you don't just fail and lose everything and have to either research again or mess with the library to make copy of the blueprints to make a second one? Now you can.

The best thing about removing research is that it lessens or eliminates any need to acquire exotic crap like spring steel bars.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Normally I'd say turn off Slag except if you are on a map with no sand, there is an option in the Slag Pit to melt slag into sand which is super useful.

Or if you're a big cheating baby like me who plays with fastdwarf 1 0 on all the time. Slag just disappears in no time!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Today is Granite 1st!

You know what that means.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
New release of dwarf fortress?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

AXE COP posted:

Normally I'd say turn off Slag except if you are on a map with no sand, there is an option in the Slag Pit to melt slag into sand which is super useful.

Or if you're a big cheating baby like me who plays with fastdwarf 1 0 on all the time. Slag just disappears in no time!

I wish he'd stop being a balance sperg and let people minecart/stockpile that poo poo.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Baloogan posted:

New release of dwarf fortress?

No. Granite 1st is when everyone and every animal which is old dies off. So you get to spend a while playing corpse scavenger hunt/undertaker.

On the plus side, this year a guy died drinking, so every useless bastard in the main booze stores has witnessed death. One step closer to them becoming jaded & uncaring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Suicide Sam E. posted:

No. Granite 1st is when everyone and every animal which is old dies off. So you get to spend a while playing corpse scavenger hunt/undertaker.

On the plus side, this year a guy died drinking, so every useless bastard in the main booze stores has witnessed death. One step closer to them becoming jaded & uncaring.

Set your calendars for Tantrum Spiral day!