Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Thanks for the input there lemon. Let me clarify a couple ones, since I'm pretty tired and the way it sounded in my head is different from your responses.

The issue with aid other wasn't with not knowing what was going, but since the average roll is a partial, I was worried that it might end up feeling that the person would be better off without someone trying to help unless he really, really needed that +1.

The comment on played moves was with myself as the DM saying the players move, in a reply to the action they've narrated. I've been keeping a pretty sharp eye for any attempts at just saying a move they want to do.

So with the standard way to spout lore, it should be more along the lines of "I've spent a lot of time studying the mating habits of lizard-flies", followed by a roll, and then the DM would reply based on the results of that roll with applicable/interesting knowledge(lizard-flies really find the color of your hat attractive)? I like the idea of making a fact more/less true based on the result, lines up in my head a bit better.

Good thing I hit preview before posting, I see some more great comments. The loot table seems like it works best with the larger/smaller number monster setups. Since currently there is a larger number of small monsters, along with some fleeing for their lives, maybe I'll keep a background count of how much they've mowed through and work up a big shiny pile to find later (which they're gonna have to carry somehow).

Glad to hear I shouldn't need to worry about level differences. Overall play time once we kicked off was probably around 2 hours, and they had a total of 10 6- rolls (one guy had 5!), so maybe I have a bit of a skewed sample going on as well. The replies are really useful even if to only jog my thought processes about different approaches to applying DM moves, so thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Monsters don't level scale, and high-level players can still be wrecked by dangerous monsters. Leveling isn't all that important strength-wise.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

The issue with aid other wasn't with not knowing what was going, but since the average roll is a partial, I was worried that it might end up feeling that the person would be better off without someone trying to help unless he really, really needed that +1.

You don't need your soft moves to be immediate results of the actions they took - you can e.g. give signs of approaching danger. It's okay to sort of passively discourage Aid rolls, though, since you want the characters to be doing their own rolls as much as possible.

ZypherIM posted:

So with the standard way to spout lore, it should be more along the lines of "I've spent a lot of time studying the mating habits of lizard-flies", followed by a roll, and then the DM would reply based on the results of that roll with applicable/interesting knowledge(lizard-flies really find the color of your hat attractive)? I like the idea of making a fact more/less true based on the result, lines up in my head a bit better.

That's the default, yeah. I also like the players spouting facts more.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's the default, yeah. I also like the players spouting facts more.

We've definitely found that spout lore works best when it's the player spouting off, followed by a roll, and then the roll determines whether it's a good, literal, or evil genie interpreting the lore you just spouted. It's always true, it's just... maybe not true in the way that you thought or intended.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

madadric posted:

I like to tell them something unpleasant. "Reveal an unwelcome truth" is one of my favourite GM moves.
Right. It's easy to fall into old habits regarding Discern Realities/Spout Lore where you're telling the players things that aren't true on a failed roll. Because that's how D&D works, right? But that leads to players second guessing themselves and being pulled out of the fiction as they start to metagame as to how they can best play along while avoiding the coming badness.

If you instead Reveal an Unwelcome Truth, you can still have consequences for their failures, but you also get to keep them centered in the fiction. It definitely takes some getting used to though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The list of DM moves is awesome and when they roll 7-9 or 6- and are stuck you can always look at the DM move list. Always. You'll have to adjust the severity of what you do according to how they succeeded or failed (never invalidate a success if they got 7-9, for example), but I've never looked at the DM move list and thought "oh there's nothing here", except in the rare case where it's more "oh, shouldn't have asked for a roll in the first place"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I promised many people this would become reality if Mounted Combat managed to break even on its cost. :v:

quote:

Wombat
A crepuscular quadrapedal marsupial who doesn't understand any of those words.
Small, Control +1, Burrowing, No Passengers

Backwards Pouch
When the Wombat burrows with you hidden safely in its pouch, you are protected from dirt and the effects of asphyxiation.

Tough as Hell
Wombats never buck due to pain or injury. You can still hurt its feelings, though.

Mounted Wombat
When the Wombat mounts another mount (including another Wombat), it enters a state of Mounted Wombat. While in such a state, it acts as an intelligent rider of its size would and presumes that you are its ally. Instead of describing your action, you may describe the Wombat's action as if it were your own. When you roll 10+ after describing a Mounted Wombat's action, Take +1 Forward.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I promised many people this would become reality if Mounted Combat managed to break even on its cost. :v:

That seems inadvisable.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Second session went pretty well. Our second fighter made his grand entrance by leaping out of a 40 foot tree, dropkicking a necromancer, and almost dying in the process.

Both of our Fighters have the "______ Is Weak. I will show them how to be strong like me" bond with each other, so there's a lot of dude-bro showing off going on.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Babe Magnet posted:

Both of our Fighters have the "______ Is Weak. I will show them how to be strong like me" bond with each other, so there's a lot of dude-bro showing off going on.

You're definitely not supposed to have duplicate playbooks. But since you do, that's probably the best way it could go.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

StringOfLetters posted:

You're definitely not supposed to have duplicate playbooks. But since you do, that's probably the best way it could go.

I played in a game with 2 wizards, and they played it as a pair of crotchety bickering old professors at a magic school. One of them cas magic missile by pulling spoons and plates out of his pack and throwing them at enemies.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

StringOfLetters posted:

Technically, you're not supposed to have duplicate playbooks at first. I think any class is fair game when you create a new character after a previous one dies.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's one of those rules that are basically for flavor and doesn't really make the game suffer too much if you ignore it (doubly so if your players are awesome). Like the rule to pick a name / look from the list.

Bonds that feed into each other are the best. I don't have any specific examples off hand, but my DW group has certainly done our fair share of cool bond pairs.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Just started a game where I played a warrior king on a journey from another dimension (Barbarian playbook) and all my bonds were focused around leading and enlightening the others while all theirs were basically "We need to stop this dangerous madman from killing everyone in our universe."

Edit: Actually quick summary of our first session cause it was The poo poo:

I, Si Yi The Glorious, entered this dimension in order to conquer it and have all acknowledge my rule. I tore open a miles wide hole in the fabric of reality in order to get here which wasn't great on the local real estate. The Druid was warned by the local spirits that something horrible was following me, the Ranger was trying to minimize the harm I caused, the Fighter had saved my life and was trying to just help in general, and the Thief saw the most perfect collection of rubes in existence. After a brief meetup with the Ranger's friend the Spider Lord, who had woven himself a beard out of silk in order to appear more kingly, we approached a group of frog men trying to terraform the forest into wetlands. After a series of miscommunications we wound up in a fight with some crocodillians.

The Ranger crippled half of them, the Druid shapeshifted into an eagle and then dropped on top of them as a bear, the Fighter decapitated one and gutted another, I got into an underwater wrasslin' match and almost died, the Thief jumped on top of one's head and made a point of stealing its eyeball.

The Druid made some unlucky rolls and died, but then rolled a 12 on last breath and narrated it as spiritually shapeshifting into a phoenix and flying out of the underworld. The Fighter and I got into a slapfight after she tried to drag me out of the water and I insisted on walking on my own.

Good times.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 6, 2014

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I may have a DW game starting over the summer, but even if not a side project of mine has been updating the core classes to have drives and backgrounds, and also to shore up some of the lamer moves (flat +'s) and add in some of the community content that's helped a lot (Improved Fighter, for one). After the last game I feel I've learned a lot on what moves are more fun than others and what really fits a PbtA game. For my own reasons I'm moving a lot of the classes to a more martial/swords and sorcery feeling (Bard being more inspiring than magic, and the druid "acting" like the animals he intends to mimic, specifically). If there's an interest I'll post them here.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Fenarisk posted:

I may have a DW game starting over the summer, but even if not a side project of mine has been updating the core classes to have drives and backgrounds, and also to shore up some of the lamer moves (flat +'s) and add in some of the community content that's helped a lot (Improved Fighter, for one). After the last game I feel I've learned a lot on what moves are more fun than others and what really fits a PbtA game. For my own reasons I'm moving a lot of the classes to a more martial/swords and sorcery feeling (Bard being more inspiring than magic, and the druid "acting" like the animals he intends to mimic, specifically). If there's an interest I'll post them here.

I'd be really interested in seeing what you do with drives / backgrounds for the core classes. The change from alignment / race to drive / background has been one of my favorite things to come out of the third-party development process and I'd love to use them in my own game.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Finished up the first two, the Skald (modified Bard), and Warrior (modified fighter).

Big shout out to the creators of the Improved Fighter (gnome7) and the Peerless Fighter (lemon curdistan), where I got a couple of the changes from. The warrior does still have 2 moves or so that are straight bonuses to damage, which I might keep just as a thing that people could like from the playbook style, or I might think of a more narrative ting that is as effective. The sheets don't look good on google drive preview so you'll need to view them in word I guess.

Skald: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SWXF1UmtiSFlBTmM/edit?usp=sharing
Warrior: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SSV9vdG1zR2dXa00/edit?usp=sharing

(if anyone knows how to just delete the spell sheets from that editable word doc please let me know, I'm bad at this).

Sometime over the next few days I'm going to tackle the original ranger and thief (named hunter and rogue, probably). I see no need to do the paladin because frankly The Gallant is drat near perfect for a more martial paladin with drives and backgrounds already in.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 7, 2014

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm working on The lands of the Dead again, this time on the player-facing content.

Since you can't seem to expect to sell a DW supplement without including classes, I'm looking at the Compendium classes I have so far, and trying to figure out if they have legs for full classes. I'm looking for feedback on what I have so far, and if the classes sound interesting.

The Psychopomp
Most folk don’t know how thin the veil is between this world and the next. If your average farmer, peddler, or innkeeper knew how often the Dead caused misfortune for the Living, none of them would sleep soundly again. It is your responsibility, your duty to make sure the Dead stay on their side of the Veil, either by helping the lost find their way, or sending the more recalcitrant spirits back where they belong.

When you have encountered a dead soul chained to Life by Trauma or powerful emotion, and sent it to the Great Beyond, the next time you level up you may take the following two moves instead of a move from your class:

Spirit Medium
You can see, hear, and communicate with the Dead that linger in the Shade or haunt the Living. When you attempt to discover the history and motives of a haunting spirit, you may add the following questions to Discern Realities, and ask one extra question, no matter the result:
What does it want?
What does it fear?
What makes it dangerous?
What stops it from moving on?
How did it die?

Spirit Guide
When you attempt to guide an attentive or restful dead soul to the Afterlife, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, they are at peace and go with gratitude or acceptance, gain 1 Soul. *On a 7-9, they go, but offer you nothing. Spend soul, 1 for one, on the following:
A deathly aura about yourself that causes others fear, apprehension, or uneasiness.
A single word or phrase that will bring someone the Dead knew to their knees.
Ghostly footsteps show a clear path through danger.
A physical manifestation of a spectral presence - a floating object, a half-seen figure, a strange noise.

When you have taken the above moves, you may take any of the following moves instead of a move from your class when you level up:

Exorcist
When you perform the Ritual to banish a hostile soul or demon from a place, person, or object it has possessed, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, it is banished to the Great Beyond or back to whence it came. *On a 7-9, it flees what it has possessed, but you know not where.

Postmortem Psychologist
When you attempt to help a restless spirit come to terms with its fate, roll+Cha. *On a 10+, they are at peace. *On a 7-9, they remain upset until a wrong of their life has been righted. *on a miss, they descend into an inconsolable misery or rage.

I Cast You Out!
Requires: Exorcist
You may use Exorcist on any extraplanar creature that has possessed a person, place, or object.

The Ritualist
There is power in sacrifice and dark rituals, and that power is yours. With your rituals and rites, you can perform incredible feats and change the fates of those around you. Sometimes, your rituals demand a price that cannot be paid by you alone, and others must be sacrificed. Whatever the cost for your power, you know you are perpetually at risk of losing your soul.

Ritual of Crossover.
When you have gathered sacrifices, soul for soul, and you perform the bloody sacrificial ritual of Crossover at a place of power, describe what sacrifices you have gathered to pay the cost, then roll+Int. *On a 10+, your sacrifice is sufficient, and your personal costs are small. choose 1. *On a 7-9, your sacrifice was inadequate or there was a flaw in the ritual. You barely make it, but choose 2:

someone or something doesn’t make it through the crossing: the GM will tell you what.
You have gained the unwanted attention of something dangerous, and it’s coming for you now.
Reality is torn, and a permanent gateway for the dead to use to return to the living has been created by your folly.

Ritual of summoning
When you perform the sacrificial ritual of Summoning to bring a Denizen of an Afterlife to be bound in your summoning circle, describe who or what you sacrifice, the ritual you have performed, and who or what you wish to summon, then roll +Con. *On a 10+, they are satisfied with the sacrifice, hold 3. *On a 7-9, the sacrifice is deemed barely adequate, hold 1, or choose to hold 3, but you owe the Denizen a debt you must repay. Spend hold, 1 for 1, on the following:

Ask the denizen a question, and they must answer truthfully and to the best of their knowledge.
Call for aid from the denizen, and they will assist you in your current situation in some way according to their nature.
Demand treasure from them, and they will give you an item worth many coins, but with a catch...

*On a 6-, your inattention has broken your summoning circle, and the Denizen you summon is no longer bound...

The Ethereal
You are defined by your lack of physical definition. While others are part of the tactile world, a world of warmth and touch, the physical is beyond you, but you are beyond it! Freed from the shackles of matter and form, you can go others cannot, see what others cannot, and achieve what others can only dream of.

When you have lost or abandoned your physical body, the next time you level up you may take the following move instead of a move from your class:

Ephemeral
You do not have a physical body. You can pass through physical matter, including people, but you cannot pick up physical objects.

When you have taken the above move, you may take any of the following moves instead of a move from your class when you level up:

Nine Tenths
When you attempt to possess the sleeping or unconscious body of someone or something, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, You gain total control of the body. *On a 7-9, you have to regularly struggle with your host’s consciousness to maintain control.

Poltergeist
When you attempt to move an object with your strong emotions, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2:
You make a terrible mess.
Someone’s put in danger.
You leave ectoplasmic residue behind.
You break something.

What Dreams May Come
When you touch the minds of those grieving for their departed loved ones, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 1 now, and hold 1 for later. *On a 7-9, just choose 1 now. *On a miss, the GM chooses one. Spend hold, 1 for 1, on the following:
You drive them into a vengeful fervor.
You bring them peace and acceptance.
You destroy their will to live.

The Deathstrider
There and Back again. You have been to the other side of Death, and you have seen what eternity has in store for some. You have come back to life, but the experience has left you scarred, and gifted. Will you be able to leave your experience behind? Or will you continue to stride forward, looking into the dark that others turn away from?

When you have walked through the Dead Lands in the Great Beyond and returned, the next time you level up you may take the following move instead of a move from your class:

Marked by Death
Your soul carries scars from your time in the Dead Lands, and it shows. When you lock eyes for the first time with someone who has not seen the Other side, roll+Con. On a 10+, they freeze or balk from their current course of action, the GM will tell you how. On a 7-9, they hesitate for a moment, giving you a chance to act.

When you have taken the above move, you may take any of the following moves instead of a move from your class when you level up:

One Foot In The Grave
Your time in the Dead Lands has left you connected in some small way to them. When you aggravate the pain of your injuries from Death, you can momentarily step into the Shade, and affect something supernatural and immaterial.

Armor of Wounds
When you suffer harm, emotional, physical, or spiritual, say how it reminds you of your time on the other side and roll+Con. On a 10+, take +1 Armor forward. On a 7-9, take +1 armor forward, but your wound troubles you, and the pain causes you to falter or put yourself in a spot.

Dead Eyes
When you close your eyes and open yourself to the memories of your time on the other side, you can see the supernatural around you. So long as your eyes are closed, you can see any entities from the other side, and any objects linked to death and the Dead.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

Finished up the first two, the Skald (modified Bard), and Warrior (modified fighter).

Big shout out to the creators of the Improved Fighter (gnome7) and the Peerless Fighter (lemon curdistan), where I got a couple of the changes from. The warrior does still have 2 moves or so that are straight bonuses to damage, which I might keep just as a thing that people could like from the playbook style, or I might think of a more narrative ting that is as effective. The sheets don't look good on google drive preview so you'll need to view them in word I guess.

Skald: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SWXF1UmtiSFlBTmM/edit?usp=sharing
Warrior: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SSV9vdG1zR2dXa00/edit?usp=sharing

(if anyone knows how to just delete the spell sheets from that editable word doc please let me know, I'm bad at this).

Sometime over the next few days I'm going to tackle the original ranger and thief (named hunter and rogue, probably). I see no need to do the paladin because frankly The Gallant is drat near perfect for a more martial paladin with drives and backgrounds already in.

"Poet of the People" is just the most beautiful Parley-enhancer I've ever seen. Fantastic work! Small comment on the Warrior - "Seek a worthy opponent" might make a better drive than "defeat a worthy opponent". Ideally you should fulfil your drive at least once per session, and if you're defeating "worthy" opponents every session it can diminish them a bit. Seeking a worthy opponent is a really evocative motivation.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

Playbook template sans spell sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFUHE0TmYzcU9pVlk/edit?usp=sharing

Skald sans spell sheet (temporary link): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFZXlCYzlJYlNubUk/edit?usp=sharing
Warrior sans spell sheet (temporary link): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFRmpJdlYwMi1KMmM/edit?usp=sharing

zarathud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 7, 2014

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Awesome, thank you.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

Thief (Rogue) and Ranger (Hunter) are now done as well.

Hunter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SLV83cTU2Zl9udlE/edit?usp=sharing
Rogue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9ST25DVnhoaTlja2M/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Once I finish some more I'll be adding Death Moves as well. Personally I'm thinking the Druid next, and maybe the Cleric and Wizard that still use a spellbook, but expanded. I haven't decided yet.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 8, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The only thing wrong with the Priest and Mage as they stand is that they have alignment/race moves instead of Drives/Backgrounds. Surely gnome7 will be happy to update them at his convenience so you don't have to!

also, Lemon Curdistan's new City Thief. Haven't read yours yet tho.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The changes to the base thief I've done still had it more in line with the old style of dungeon and trap/lock pick rogue. Lemon's is much more city or urban based and very good, just a different flavor and some different moves suitable to it.

I decided to do the paladin after all because holy poo poo ( :haw: ) the advances are worse than the core fighter's. Definitely finishing that one today before the Druid.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 8, 2014

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

The changes to the base thief I've done still had it more in line with the old style of dungeon and trap/lock pick rogue. Lemon's is much more city or urban based and very good, just a different flavor and some different moves suitable to it.

I decided to do the paladin after all because holy poo poo ( :haw: ) the advances are worse than the core fighter's. Definitely finishing that one today before the Druid.

You're doing good work. Some formatting weirdness, but still a noble goal.

On this subject, what 3rd-party classes does everyone most recommend over the core? The OP list is awesome, but it's pretty daunting to try and look at them all and a bunch of them are unfinished or early drafts.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

On this subject, what 3rd-party classes does everyone most recommend over the core? The OP list is awesome, but it's pretty daunting to try and look at them all and a bunch of them are unfinished or early drafts.

A lot of recommendation comes down to whether you're trying to evoke a particular them or feel for your game, or if you just want a boat load of cool classes to throw at your players. Sometimes you will have a player that has an idea for a character, and then you can go searching for a playbook that fits that theme.

Gnome7 has put a siren on some of his favorites, or newer classes in the OP, so they are a good starting point. for my money, the Inverse World classes are always a hit at the table. The Dashing Hero is also great. There are some cool bundles of classes linked in the OP too that are good bang for your buck if you want to spend a little money, but there's lots of good free content too.

madadric fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 8, 2014

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Where are you seeing the formatting weirdness? On the google docs preview or the actual downloaded docx?

On a side note doing these now and having my original Leader playbook used by a player in my last campaign, I've learned a lot and realized a lot of +'s are just lovely. I'd personally delete the Leader and my Assassin out of the main post, they're pretty garbage.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 8, 2014

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
I'm getting the formatting problems too. In both the download and the googledoc.
Doubled pages and things overlapping all over the place. Which is making me sad because that they look kickass.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ThermonuclearTom posted:

I'm getting the formatting problems too. In both the download and the googledoc.
Doubled pages and things overlapping all over the place. Which is making me sad because that they look kickass.

That's weird, it's showing just fine for me in Word 2010 :saddowns:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

madadric posted:

Spirit Medium

Hey, the Shaman's had a move with that name for well over a year and a half, now. :v:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Can someone tell me if PDF form looks fine?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SVHNFWG03Nnl6Mms/edit?usp=sharing

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hey, the Shaman's had a move with that name for well over a year and a half, now. :v:

And it's still a shame that it doesn't have an advance called Spirit Large.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The PDF looks gorgeous & not all doubled up on my end.

Thanks for doing these by the way, Fenarisk. I just had one of my players in my campaign suffer a pretty grisly death, and I think she is leaning towards using one of the re-works for her next character.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Dungeon World Core Classes: Advanced Dungeon World 1.5

All the classes I finished are linked as PDF's now. For anyone new to the discussion, I had three primary goals when revamping the core classes.

1) Give all core classes Drives & Backgrounds, as well as flavorful starting items
2) Give all core classes a more martial/non-magic based set of moves (I did this for a more swords and sorcery feel, for personal tastes. This can easily be changed just using magic flavor/reskinning)
3) Change a few lackluster moves to be better, as well as changing a majority of the boring moves that give flat numerical bonuses to either give more narrative control, or a little more narrative control in addition to the +'s. Most moves were just modified, in a few rare instances a move was added or a move was replaced for something more interesting.

Bonds are unfinished, but will be in the final revisions with any feedback people have. Enjoy!
Updated 5/18

The Warrior (fighter): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SWU1QUVZUdnNtWHM/edit?usp=sharing
The Skald (bard): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SZERlUTdFbk90RDA/edit?usp=sharing
The Rogue (thief): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SX3QwcFVXUVZ4czA/edit?usp=sharing
The Hunter (ranger): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SSGx0WFctVlFDcUE/edit?usp=sharing
The Crusader (paladin): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SQW5mNmxSSllEZU0/edit?usp=sharing
The Wild Shaman (druid): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SMVoyM0VGeTZWbE0/edit?usp=sharing
The Barbarian (barbarian): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SOE80ZTdiYzZ2SkU/edit?usp=sharing

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 19, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
About the Crusader - Armored Bulwark seems like a clunky move, since you roll to Defend and gain hold to spend on effects and then you roll +CHA in addition to that to gain more hold and spend that on effects. Why not unify the two moves? You can Defend with +CHA, and add those to the list of Defend options, or something like that.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm still super new to Dungeon World, and I had a couple questions:

If you're using Defend, and roll 10+, can you immediately spend all 3 hold to do 3x your level in damage? Can you choose the damage multiple times in any circumstance?

If you roll 7-9 on Hack and Slash, does the enemy you're H&Sing immediately do damage, or do they get an attack that you can Defy Danger against?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Here's how I run it: You spend defendhold in response to an attack on yourself or your defend target, and can only buy each of the four choices once per triggering attack. They have to make sense in the fiction, too eg if someone far away shoots your defend target you can't choose to deal damage to them.

So, pretty much no. You could save all the hold to deal damage, but you'd need to wait for three separate triggering attacks to respond in the same way to.

It's all up to the DM on the H&S thing, monsters and their moves are many and varied, some campaigns are grittier than others, etc. I usually deal damage and make a soft move.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW

Fenarisk posted:

Dungeon World Core Classes: Advanced Dungeon World 1.5

All the classes I finished are linked as PDF's now. For anyone new to the discussion, I had three primary goals when revamping the core classes.

Oh these look niiiiiiiiiice. Thanks Fenarisk.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you roll 7-9 on Hack and Slash, does the enemy you're H&Sing immediately do damage, or do they get an attack that you can Defy Danger against?

The key is it says "attack", not necessarily damage, and I'd say Defy Danger would come after it's resolved. A troll could just do some damage to the fighter, or he could hurl him a couple feet away into the wall, or smash him with a staggering blow that sends a shield flying away. After THAT I would say you come out with "Now what do you do?" because they're obviously in a Defy Danger situation then.

slydingdoor posted:

Here's how I run it: You spend defendhold in response to an attack on yourself or your defend target, and can only buy each of the four choices once per triggering attack. They have to make sense in the fiction, too eg if someone far away shoots your defend target you can't choose to deal damage to them.

The one time one of my players blocked an arrow with a shield, causing it to spin upward then back down into his hand where he then threw it back into the chest of the attacker disagrees :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Some campaigns are different than others. I'd let someone do that if they had a launcher in hand and rolled the Volley that action triggers, but that would end the defensive stance.