Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Got a last-hour chance to play out last night, and I took it. I had a lot of fun, and went home feeling pretty good about it all.
Since I recorded it, I just gave it a re-listen. Minor technical things, but some weird flow. I don't know if I was trying to read the crowd or what, but on my re-listen I even cringed at some of the song selections. Oh well, it was past 2AM and I was closing, so I suppose in a way my job was to slowly send people home. :haw:
I'm not too down about it all, I don't feel like I hosed up the gig; more like I didn't take full advantage of the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
The Facebook group "Serato DJ" always delivers.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
That's gotta be a troll, I can't believe people actually respond and try to help.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Alfajor posted:

Got a last-hour chance to play out last night, and I took it. I had a lot of fun, and went home feeling pretty good about it all.
Since I recorded it, I just gave it a re-listen. Minor technical things, but some weird flow. I don't know if I was trying to read the crowd or what, but on my re-listen I even cringed at some of the song selections. Oh well, it was past 2AM and I was closing, so I suppose in a way my job was to slowly send people home. :haw:
I'm not too down about it all, I don't feel like I hosed up the gig; more like I didn't take full advantage of the opportunity.

It's a valuable learning experience, man. Take it for what it is and don't beat yourself up over it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah every gig is an education, even if you heard mistakes chances are nobody else other than the DJs in the room noticed unless they were complete trainwrecks so don't worry. It was short notice and you didn't have time to get your poo poo straight, no harm done.

I've been asked to play an hour for a venue fundraiser on Sunday, it's starting at 2pm and running until 2am. I'm on 4-5 so I'm rolling through a bunch of poo poo I'd love to play and yet have never tried mixing before... It's been interesting trying to figure out how to make it work but in a lot of cases I've got a stack of pretty short soul/hip-hop reworks that just end randomly. This is going to be fun.

Kinda poo poo I wanna be playing:

https://soundcloud.com/airworks/retro-records-presents

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm playing a Ball this saturday and I need a couple bachata songs for some friends of mine. Problem is the rest of my set is trap/rap/various brands of house so... I don't know what the hell to play and even if I did I don't know how to fit it into my set. Help? Also, bonus question, any must plays for these kind of events?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

an skeleton posted:

I'm playing a Ball this saturday and I need a couple bachata songs for some friends of mine. Problem is the rest of my set is trap/rap/various brands of house so... I don't know what the hell to play and even if I did I don't know how to fit it into my set. Help? Also, bonus question, any must plays for these kind of events?

Prince Royce's music is more "dancable" than most of the bland bachata songs out there.

You can't really be expected to stick mostly to bachata. It's like 120bpm house music where most songs will sound very similar to the last one. If I had to revolve a set around bachata, I'd definitely alternate so that every other song is bachata while every other (other) song is either reggae, dancehall, reggaeton, samba, etc.

Samba actually mixes insanely well with house. Rap will probably work every now and then but trap seems like it would be pushing things.

In a pinch, you could use this to bridge the gap between Trap and a dancehall/reggaeton/moombah song then work your way back into bachata after that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQ1_nkOX5A

cname fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 18, 2014

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

cname posted:

Prince Royce's music is more "dancable" than most of the bland bachata songs out there.

You can't really be expected to stick mostly to bachata. It's like 120bpm house music where most songs will sound very similar to the last one. If I had to revolve a set around bachata, I'd definitely alternate so that every other song is bachata while every other (other) song is either reggae, dancehall, reggaeton, samba, etc.

Samba actually mixes insanely well with house. Rap will probably work every now and then but trap seems like it would be pushing things.

In a pinch, you could use this to bridge the gap between Trap and a dancehall/reggaeton/moombah song then work your way back into bachata after that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQ1_nkOX5A

Thanks, I'm not playing too much bachata/samba/reggaeton, just a couple songs (<5) probably. That song you linked could be good for transitioning, thanks

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just saw Z Trip the other night, been a fan for a while it was good to see him in person. He does a lot of interesting stuff up on stage I'd be curious to learn more about his setup and process. I got the impression that he does manual beatmatching for everything even on digital. Speaking of which he bragged about being on vinyl all night and held up a record and then proceeded to do his set without lifting any more records :D

Great show though. If I had to make one criticism it would be that it was a little too Girl-talky jumping from track to track without any sort of build and release. Given the venue though it was probably a conscious effort to pander to the crowd, having seen some of his other sets I know he tends to have a lot more range.

Also a question, I've been getting a lot of ground errors on my Tracktor setup lately, any pointers? I'm obviously grounded into the mixer, but is there anything else I should check? It's not affecting the output, just causing the errors to pop up.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

Just saw Z Trip the other night, been a fan for a while it was good to see him in person. He does a lot of interesting stuff up on stage I'd be curious to learn more about his setup and process. I got the impression that he does manual beatmatching for everything even on digital. Speaking of which he bragged about being on vinyl all night and held up a record and then proceeded to do his set without lifting any more records :D

Great show though. If I had to make one criticism it would be that it was a little too Girl-talky jumping from track to track without any sort of build and release. Given the venue though it was probably a conscious effort to pander to the crowd, having seen some of his other sets I know he tends to have a lot more range.

Also a question, I've been getting a lot of ground errors on my Tracktor setup lately, any pointers? I'm obviously grounded into the mixer, but is there anything else I should check? It's not affecting the output, just causing the errors to pop up.

probably digital vinyl

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lol wat

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
He uses Serato

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Serato and Trakto have developed time coded vinyl records that work as massive jog wheels. A lot of people enjoy it because it's a lot like using real vinyl with the amount of platter control you achieve and you can simultaneously switch back and forth between mp3 and vinyl without having to use CDJs. Google serato scratch or traktor scratch to get a better idea. I personally think it's one of the better ways to DJ since you can throw in your vinyl collection on the fly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I do think it's funny though, that [revmoo] mentioned he sort of showboated playing 'vinyl' and then spun a set on control records... I love Z-Trip, though - his album Shifting Gears still I still listen to a lot casually.

But... Using control vinyl doesn't mean you aren't Tearing poo poo Up, necessarily.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 30, 2014

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
He was joking about playing vinyl, I can't think of a single DJ in that genre who still plays actual records.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

But... Using control vinyl doesn't mean you aren't Tearing poo poo Up, necessarily.

Definitely agree here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjJVZct7ts

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

b0red posted:

Serato and Trakto have developed time coded vinyl records that work as massive jog wheels. A lot of people enjoy it because it's a lot like using real vinyl with the amount of platter control you achieve and you can simultaneously switch back and forth between mp3 and vinyl without having to use CDJs. Google serato scratch or traktor scratch to get a better idea. I personally think it's one of the better ways to DJ since you can throw in your vinyl collection on the fly.

Uhhh yeah I know this. I asked a question about a problem with my Traktor DVS rig in my post, guessing you didn't see it.

I was more wondering about Z-Trip's workflow and gear configuration, I knew he used Serato.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
Two 1200s, probably a Rane mixer, a laptop with Serato, Dicers, and like 20 years of practice

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Kid Gloves posted:

Two 1200s, probably a Rane mixer, a laptop with Serato, Dicers, and like 20 years of practice

And a lot of custom edits.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Wedding gig this Saturday. I'm fine with the timeline for the wedding except for the setup time. Load in is 5:00 and start time for the ceremony is 5:30. Seriously: gotta get my poo poo in the venue, setup for both ceremony and reception (two different spots - close by, but still different), and go within a half hour window.

I can have the most detail oriented bride, groom, and planner for the evening. Somehow they overlook the magic show that I'm also performing by setting up board, wireless mics (plus raised receivers), wired mics, loudspeakers on stands, lights, laptop, subwoofer, controller, and possible facade in less than half an hour. I also need to be dressed and looking good for the evening as part of that setup time.

I'm currently begging the venue to let me in early for setup. This poo poo happened on NYE, too. "You can setup this entire bar for sound and lights in ten minutes, right?"

It's just silly. No excuses, but man is it gonna be stressful if I can't get in there at least an hour ahead of go.

That said: my Ableton setup is unrivaled. Gonna have to show y'all what I figured out I can do with Max 4 Live and some free time.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

19 o'clock posted:

That said: my Ableton setup is unrivaled. Gonna have to show y'all what I figured out I can do with Max 4 Live and some free time.

Really wanna see this. I'm looking for a good reason to start adding towards an Ableton setup. Also, if you'd be down to talk about an Ableton setup in more DJ terms vs audio production, I'd be all ears.

I wanna get interested in Ableton but everything I watch is mostly production based and less geared towards DJing. I'd like to learn just enough to use it for some "bonus stuff" when I'm DJing my hokey-poke parties.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 1, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I used to DJ a lot with Ableton for the most part I feel like it's more powerful than Traktor, but I have a lot more fun with Traktor so I switched over to that.

How's the Serato integration?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

cname posted:

Really wanna see this. I'm looking for a good reason to start adding towards an Ableton setup. Also, if you'd be down to talk about an Ableton setup in more DJ terms vs audio production, I'd be all ears.

I wanna get interested in Ableton but everything I watch is mostly production based and less geared towards DJing. I'd like to learn just enough to use it for some "bonus stuff" when I'm DJing my hokey-poke parties.

I got interested in Ableton years ago for recording, never for actually creating music without real instruments. I use an APC40. Learn how to warp tracks on the fly during a set, learn how to use keyboard shortcuts to chop up tracks if you're feeling cheeky, and like any DJ setup be sure you know your music well.

I'll hit y'all back starting next week as things settle down. Once this weekend is done I don't have a wedding again until early June. Thank goodness.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

And this is why I won't work weddings unless they are trying to throw insane money at me, or it is a VERY close friend. Weddings pay well but they are BY FAR the worst most stressful full of hassle gig I have ever worked. I've done 3, and every one has been a total nightmare.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Hey. A few years ago I discovered the local hardcore scene (and hardcore in general) and have fallen head over heels. I've been in need of a new hobby and I've finally decided to get serious on both learning DJing and eventually producing. Been toying around with ipad controllers and just having fun with the basics for a while, but really wanna do something with this now. Having a friend who owns a tiny darts bar invite me to play once I'm up and running helps. I've no delusions about becoming the next big thing or whatever, this just has always looked like a lot of fun, even if I never play in front of more than 5 friends.

Anyway, my big question right now: the OP says Mac, just trust us. And yeah, every live show I go to, 90% of the DJs have Apple logos flashing everywhere. I'm ok with that! I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop in a few months and I'd like to get one that will play well with DJing/production. But I've been a windows user forever and I'm more comfortable with it. Why is Mac so highly recommended?

Also, any recommended videos/tutorials? I know the key is to just sit down and toy around with stuff, but some instruction is always useful. Things like the Learn to Digital DJ Fast course sound like what I want as a starter, aside from the whole Wall Of Testimonials, Lose Ten Pounds In Two Days, $100 price tag instant-gratification ripoff vibe it has.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

The macs have really high build quality, made from aluminium and can take a hit. Because they are a closed system you generally have a high chance that if somethings works on one mac it will run on most of them both hardware and software. Dont run into issues like firewire chipsets being completely unusable for music applications or strange firmware problems. I use a pc for music production because I love all the crazy stuff you can find and I really don't like apples business model but I use a 2007 macbook for playing out cos it just works. When you are meant to be playing to an audience and there is no sound happening troubleshooting takes years off your life.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Old Man Pants posted:

And this is why I won't work weddings unless they are trying to throw insane money at me, or it is a VERY close friend. Weddings pay well but they are BY FAR the worst most stressful full of hassle gig I have ever worked. I've done 3, and every one has been a total nightmare.

I'm feeling you on this one. I think I may stick to clubs after this summer unless things change dramatically by the end.

The venue contact says I can sneak in there an hour early to setup my main rig. Even if I just get my mains and house music up that will be sufficient as I can put everything else up during dinner/before toasts and dancing. Karma is on my side, too, as a fellow musician I play with on the regular is in town the same time as this wedding and for a few bucks will help me load in and setup. Life. Saver.

Now I just gotta coach the bride on the fact that "just country" isn't going to be sufficient to please everyone at the wedding...

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Lock posted:

Hey. A few years ago I discovered the local hardcore scene (and hardcore in general) and have fallen head over heels. I've been in need of a new hobby and I've finally decided to get serious on both learning DJing and eventually producing. Been toying around with ipad controllers and just having fun with the basics for a while, but really wanna do something with this now. Having a friend who owns a tiny darts bar invite me to play once I'm up and running helps. I've no delusions about becoming the next big thing or whatever, this just has always looked like a lot of fun, even if I never play in front of more than 5 friends.

Anyway, my big question right now: the OP says Mac, just trust us. And yeah, every live show I go to, 90% of the DJs have Apple logos flashing everywhere. I'm ok with that! I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop in a few months and I'd like to get one that will play well with DJing/production. But I've been a windows user forever and I'm more comfortable with it. Why is Mac so highly recommended?

Also, any recommended videos/tutorials? I know the key is to just sit down and toy around with stuff, but some instruction is always useful. Things like the Learn to Digital DJ Fast course sound like what I want as a starter, aside from the whole Wall Of Testimonials, Lose Ten Pounds In Two Days, $100 price tag instant-gratification ripoff vibe it has.

Hardcore as in rave hardcore? That's pretty sick. I thought for sure that scene was dead but I guess there are still little pockets floating around much like jungle still has. Also on the Mac thing. My friend does a lot of frat DJing at his big top5 college, he has a samsung laptop ($1500+ very nice). He has had it crash on him before in the middle of a set (traktor). Never once have I ever had traktor crash on me and he always insists on using my mac when I come down to mix with him at whatever gig. It'll always be reliable and everything will almost always be plug and play.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

b0red posted:

Hardcore as in rave hardcore? That's pretty sick. I thought for sure that scene was dead but I guess there are still little pockets floating around much like jungle still has. Also on the Mac thing. My friend does a lot of frat DJing at his big top5 college, he has a samsung laptop ($1500+ very nice). He has had it crash on him before in the middle of a set (traktor). Never once have I ever had traktor crash on me and he always insists on using my mac when I come down to mix with him at whatever gig. It'll always be reliable and everything will almost always be plug and play.

I've seen more macs crash than any other laptop in 4 years of being at clubs/lounges in Seoul every Thurs/Fri/sat. Also it just means I see way more macs but YES they do crash. Have your backup USB plugged in or use CDJS. If cdjs gently caress up it is on the sound engineer not you. Laptop failure is your fault no matter what. I say that as a person that thinks laptops have a lot to offer but most people don't prepare for a failure, and it WILL happen no matter what if you DJ often.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What the hell were they doing to their Macs?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

aeglus posted:

I've seen more macs crash than any other laptop in 4 years of being at clubs/lounges in Seoul every Thurs/Fri/sat. Also it just means I see way more macs but YES they do crash. Have your backup USB plugged in or use CDJS. If cdjs gently caress up it is on the sound engineer not you. Laptop failure is your fault no matter what. I say that as a person that thinks laptops have a lot to offer but most people don't prepare for a failure, and it WILL happen no matter what if you DJ often.

They probably pirate their music off bearshare and have mac keeper installed. Either way. I agree always have a backup in a club environment. But mac over PC with audio.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

aeglus posted:

I say that as a person that thinks laptops have a lot to offer but most people don't prepare for a failure, and it WILL happen no matter what if you DJ often.

I had this discussion with my assistant on the way back from tonight's wedding. He was asking why I don't use a Mac. I suppose I've never heard a really compelling reason to use a Mac in the first place. I figure most of the hardware is similar (especially these days compared to those past) and a well maintained PC is just as capable if not more capable than any other machine. Perhaps I am missing something, but so far so good.

I always have a playlist ready to go on my iPod plugged into the board. Crash happens? If I'm lucky it creates a nasty glitch sound that I can fade using the board effects and bring in the iPod. I just pretend that I was getting all glitched out as a transition.

Tonight's wedding was a great success. Vastly disorganized so my buddy and I took the reins and ran that poo poo. I used the "everybody come on out to the dance floor for a group picture" trick to get everyone out and dancing. I was a little nervous at first because I don't like doing cheesy things like that, but it worked great.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Today my friend and I got a request for Jai Ho (from Slumdog Millionaire). The event was a sorority formal.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Couldn't possibly play this. No play list...

-Bedrock
-I want this poo poo forever mane ever mine ever mine ever mine. First name the. Last name greatest.
-Party Rock Anthem
-So fly lika G6
-Harder Better Faster Stronger (I have every other Daft Punk song, but this one will never happen.)
-Enrique Iglesias - I like it
-Animals

Anything that needs to be added?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Just check out the Billboard Top 100. Also that 2nd song is called Forever by Drake and a bunch of other dudes.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
There's a pretty good Dillon Francis remix of that Daft Punk song though, he put it on soundcloud like a week or two ago.

Also that loving selfie song is the worst. People hate on Animals but it's instrumental and actually blends well with a lot of other songs.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

"Yo man can you drop animals"
"Sure but first lemmie drop selfie.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

bad day posted:

There's a pretty good Dillon Francis remix of that Daft Punk song though, he put it on soundcloud like a week or two ago.

Also that loving selfie song is the worst. People hate on Animals but it's instrumental and actually blends well with a lot of other songs.

Selfie is amazing :colbert: best lyrics.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
Selfie is the end of EDM. Seriously, I can't hate it because it was basically inevitable but it's the beginning of the end of this whole scene. It's indistinguishable from parody. Dance music will maintain, as it always has, but this whole big room #UMF garbage is going to self-destruct and I legit believe Selfie is the end. It's too loving corny to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm glad I havent heard it. I've also only heard 10 seconds of animals. I feel blessed.