Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Phanatic posted:

Kid's chemistry sets today are neutered. But the materials to make thermite are cheap as hell and easy to get anyway: ordinary red rust and aluminum.

It should be said that you need aluminum powder to do this right, otherwise there's not enough surface area for the thermite reaction to occur fast enough. It won't work too well if you just dump some powdered rust on a pile of empty coke cans.

RedneckwithGuns has a new favorite as of 05:34 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shifty Nipples posted:

I made sodium hydroxide with the chemistry set I had as a kid.

I stripped a stripe of the glaze out of our bathtub pouring bucket-o-chems down the drain. Raw ceramic rubbing on your tailbone doesn't feel so great.

No idea what was in that bucket but it couldn't have been safe. It looks like hydrofluoric acid and methylene chloride are the two most common choices for striping bathtubs.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

MisterOblivious posted:

I stripped a stripe of the glaze out of our bathtub pouring bucket-o-chems down the drain. Raw ceramic rubbing on your tailbone doesn't feel so great.

No idea what was in that bucket but it couldn't have been safe. It looks like hydrofluoric acid and methylene chloride are the two most common choices for striping bathtubs.

Tell us the tale of bucket-o-chem.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DemeaninDemon posted:

Tell us the tale of bucket-o-chem.

It's where dreams reactions run wild.
Completed "experiments" got dumped in a bucket. My parents didn't see any problems with that.

Then there was the time I set out to create the best cleaning product ever using the contents of every bottle under the sink. Got a paddlin' for that one.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

A White Guy posted:

yeah, but it's likely not just pure Ergot fungus.

Oddly enough, the active chemical that causes hallucinations upon ingestion of Ergot is LSA (the St. Anthony's fire is different though. Really, don't ingest straight up Ergot fungus if the thought was crossing your mind).

True, but give me three days with the grass, a still, a vacuum chamber, and suitable filters and I could make something that'd either get you high, make you blind, or most likely, make you dead. I'm pretty sure it'd qualify as a dangerous chemical, actually.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It should be said that you need aluminum powder to do this right, otherwise there's not enough surface area for the thermite reaction to occur fast enough. It won't work too well if you just dump some powdered rust on a pile of empty coke cans.

I was told by The Jolly Roger Cookbook that aluminum shavings/filings would work. Then again I was also told by other txt files in the BBS's /anarchy folder that LSD was relatively easy to synthesize.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MisterOblivious posted:

Then there was the time I set out to create the best cleaning product ever using the contents of every bottle under the sink. Got a paddlin' for that one.
Common cleaning products, ammonia, bleach...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bhodi posted:

My (layman's) understanding is that it's not the case. Inner electrons orbit faster around the nucleus than outer shell's electrons, in relation to the number of protons present. Beyond 137 protons, the inner electrons would have to be going faster than the speed of light which can't actually happen. There's a wikipedia page about it and as far as I know, it's still a mystery. Dirac's like nope, we're cool, but we won't really know who's right until we can synthesize it.

My (also layman's) understanding of atomic physics is that electrons don't exactly 'orbit' and move around the nucleus like a planet moving around a sun. Instead the electron exists as a delocalised probability cloud wrapped around the nucleus, meaning that the electron is somewhere in a circle a given distance from the nucleus but it isn't 'moving' in a conventional sense.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RedneckwithGuns posted:

That reminds me, in my old school there used to be a kind of urban legend going around that a rather inept chemistry teacher almost burned her face off trying to do a thermite experiment with a wrong ingredient that basically caused the whole thing to fountain up straight into the air. From researching it a bit it seems like the most likely culprit could be accidentally using something more energetic like magnesium oxide rather than iron oxide in the same quantity, but I don't know if that would produce such a reaction. Does anybody happen to know whether something like that is possible or if it's just made up?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Magnesium oxide wouldn't react at all. Magnesium is more reactive than aluminium, so the oxygen will stay stuck to the magnesium and nothing will happen.

If you used magnesium instead of aluminium it would be more energetic though. Possibly enough to make it spit?
If there was something in there that would produce gas when heated that would definitely make it fountain up. Not sure what the most likely suspect is there, unless he got the formula confused with gunpowder and added sulfur.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me, in my old school there used to be a kind of urban legend going around that a rather inept chemistry teacher almost burned her face off trying to do a thermite experiment with a wrong ingredient that basically caused the whole thing to fountain up straight into the air. From researching it a bit it seems like the most likely culprit could be accidentally using something more energetic like magnesium oxide rather than iron oxide in the same quantity, but I don't know if that would produce such a reaction. Does anybody happen to know whether something like that is possible or if it's just made up?

Various different oxides are used for various reasons, perhaps it was manganese oxide?

Using copper oxide or manganese oxide makes the thermite easier to light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite#Types

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

MisterOblivious posted:

Then there was the time I set out to create the best cleaning product ever using the contents of every bottle under the sink

Same. To this day I have no idea how we managed not to mix ammonia and bleach, because we sure as hell tried our hardest

MisterOblivious posted:

Got a paddlin' for that one.

We were unsupervised from start to finish :woop:

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 12:16 on May 6, 2014

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

When doing a demonstration of alkali metals in water in secondary school my chemistry teacher made a crucial mistake. He set up a shield to protect the students from flying molten metal, but didn't wear a faceshield himself.

Naturally the potassium he just added to the water decided to pop out and land on his forehead, burning straight through his scalp down to the bone. That was an interesting afternoon.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I fondly remember being 9 years old (1989), deadsprinting 2 blocks home to get $10 and deadsprinting 2 blocks back to the garage sale up the street that had a chemistry set that my best friend (who lived 3 blocks away!) and I both wanted. I can't for the life of me remember what we actually ended up making, but I ended up having to re-stain a 10sqft portion of my parents deck and there's still a few spots in the backyard where nothing grows from dumping experiment results.

My son is 6 and we did Diet Coke/Mentos (more physics than chemistry, but still) the summer before he turned 5, and I already have a chemistry set picked out for his birthday this year (7). Too bad there's nothing fun (read: dangerous) in them anymore, but at least I don't have to worry about him blowing up the house.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Well the The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments is freely online if you ever want to print that out and let your kids setup experiments using whatever is lying around as makeshift equipment or twisting coathangers to make support stands for beakers.

I'm sure you'll get adept at identifying and treating chemical burns to their thumbs as the book instructs you to hold your thumb over the top of the tube when shaking.

Then again I don't think anyone can just walk into a drug store these days and just flat out ask for half of what's in the book.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I had a chemistry set as a kid that definitely came with a bunch of sodium hydroxide, and pretty looking stuff that you definitely shouldn't eat like copper sulfate crystals.

You can buy a lot of chemicals over the counter these days, they just aren't labelled as what they contain.

You can get a kilo of pure sodium hydroxide pellets for cheap as it's used for unblocking drains, same with concentrated sulfuric acid. Ammonia is a pretty common cleaner too though that's not usually in very high concentrations. Solvents are really easy to get a hold of from any hardware shop too. You used to be able to get alum from a chemists too. Growing crystals from a solution of alum is really cool.

People like to think that they're completely isolated from a lot of harmful chemicals but that's nowhere near the truth.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

The Lone Badger posted:

My (also layman's) understanding of atomic physics is that electrons don't exactly 'orbit' and move around the nucleus like a planet moving around a sun. Instead the electron exists as a delocalised probability cloud wrapped around the nucleus, meaning that the electron is somewhere in a circle a given distance from the nucleus but it isn't 'moving' in a conventional sense.

I don't know if you'd call it 'moving, but electrons do possess angular momentum with respect to the nucleus.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Alum is sometimes used for pickling, in block form as an aftershave or as an underarm deodorant and it's fairly easy to get a hold of. Magic Salt Crystals are pretty neat and have the bonus of making your whites whiter and everything else it touches bluer. I think most kids would rather grow sugar crystals :haw:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alien Arcana posted:

I don't know if you'd call it 'moving, but electrons do possess angular momentum with respect to the nucleus.

Yeah I was about to respond similarly. It's kinda weird to think about it but electrons do exist as a probability wave like The Lone Badger said, but one of the variables that defines where that wave is and what shape its in is velocity. If you try to put the speed of light in for that it does all sorts of crazy things.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Magnesium ribbon is great for lighting thermite.

Don't you need a blowtorch to ignite magnesium ribbon?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Not in my experience, a butane lighter works. Probably even a regular lighter if the ribbon's thin enough.

The trouble with magnesium ribbon as a thermite fuse is that it needs oxygen and when it burns down to where you have it stuck in the pile of thermite powder it can get O2-starved and go out before it heats the stuff up to its ignition temperature. Your standard 4th-of-July sparkler is really the way to do. Seriously, when people use this for real for welding rail segments together that's what they use, it's just shorter and thicker and probably costs 10 times as much because it's all official and professional.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Phanatic posted:

Not in my experience, a butane lighter works. Probably even a regular lighter if the ribbon's thin enough.

The trouble with magnesium ribbon as a thermite fuse is that it needs oxygen and when it burns down to where you have it stuck in the pile of thermite powder it can get O2-starved and go out before it heats the stuff up to its ignition temperature. Your standard 4th-of-July sparkler is really the way to do. Seriously, when people use this for real for welding rail segments together that's what they use, it's just shorter and thicker and probably costs 10 times as much because it's all official and professional.

So what's in a sparkler? Whatever it is, it sounds dangerous (and thus perfect for this thread).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DemeaninDemon posted:

Magnesium ribbon is great fun in general. I remember my Chem II lab back in High School had a sizable spool of it, something like 80 feet or so at the start of the lab.

The teacher was a stereotype of "Burned out Hippie" and let us have fun in the lab when we finished our classwork early.

I think there was maybe 10 feet of it left at the end of the semester.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zemyla posted:

So what's in a sparkler? Whatever it is, it sounds dangerous (and thus perfect for this thread).

Pretty much the same stuff that's in thermite: metallic fuel (aluminum, magnesium, iron, what have you) and an oxidizer (some nitrate or perchlorate), and a binder to keep it together and slow the burn rate.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I once had an afternoon of drawing stick figures and dicks by dissolving styrofoam with a brush and some kind of solvent. Then I moved on to drawing stick figures and dicks in more styrofoam by melting it with a soldering iron (was small child, idiot, etc.). After I got tired of messing with styrofoam and solvents I tossed out the fuming goo-covered mess in the trash can, emptied most of the bottle of solvent on the pile to watch it melt and crumble, then moved on to burning little drawings of stick figures and dicks into cardboard with the soldering iron. When I threw one of the pieces of cardboard away I guess some part of it was still smoldering or burning slightly and I was confronted with a giant fireball shooting out of the (thankfully metal) garbage can full of styrofoam + solvent. I managed to kick the furiously burning can out the garage door, where it spilled its horrible contents and burned a nice plasticky uncleanable mess into the driveway, belching awful black oily smoke all the while. My dad put a lock on the garage door the next day.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Lone Badger posted:

Kind of but the cloud's shape depends on the energy level of the electron--you get dumbbells, spheres, what ever the gently caress f-orbitals are. Rest is a-OK though. Please continue to think of electrons as probability clouds instead of particles flying around. It makes me happy. :unsmith:

Any deeper explanation than that and we're well on our way to quantum town. Population: who knows!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

A White Guy posted:

Especially fun about the Thermite reaction is that it produces molten Iron and Aluminium Trioxide (aka the stuff that Sapphires, Emeralds, Rubies, and moon rocks are made out of).
Well, yeah, technically. But the aluminum you started with was covered in it. It forms wherever bare aluminum touches oxygen, just not as fast as if you light the whole thing on fire.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

A White Guy posted:

yeah, but it's likely not just pure Ergot fungus.

Oddly enough, the active chemical that causes hallucinations upon ingestion of Ergot is LSA (the St. Anthony's fire is different though. Really, don't ingest straight up Ergot fungus if the thought was crossing your mind).

Onto dangerous chemical chat:

Hydrogen Sulfide is a wonderful chemical. You might know it as "the rotten egg smell". Naturally produced by bacteria in the breakdown of organic molecules and by your own body, Hydrogen Sulfide is toxic, highly corrosive, and flammable. People who work in sewage treatment plants have to carry H2S monitors, because the breakdown of the gas by bacteria is uneven, meaning that even in a well-ventilated area, the supply of H2S can suddenly spike at any one time.

You can detect this chemical at minute concentrations (.47 parts per billion), but it becomes dangerous very quickly - 50 Parts per million will damage the cornea. At 100 parts per million, the olfactory nerve can't handle it anymore and your sense of smell disappears, and beyond that, inhalation of this wonderful chemical will quickly lead to death.

Unironically enough, this wonderful chemical was used by the British Army for chemical warfare during WW1, with two recorded instances of the use of H2S loaded shells.

Was also likely involved in the largest extintinction event known, the perm-triassic extinction. I really hope nothing like it happens anytime soon.

Imagine that, H2S-producing bacteria receiving the right environmental conditions to go hogwild going and mass-suffocating life on earth.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 23:01 on May 6, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Kind of but the cloud's shape depends on the energy level of the electron--you get dumbbells, spheres, what ever the gently caress f-orbitals are. Rest is a-OK though. Please continue to think of electrons as probability clouds instead of particles flying around. It makes me happy. :unsmith:

Any deeper explanation than that and we're well on our way to quantum town. Population: who knows!

One of the first things we learned in (regular, non-AP) highschool chemistry was that electrons are vaguely-defined clouds due to uncertainty and they have weird loving shapes due to the energy levels and the exclusion principle. Granted everyone probably forgot it within a month but me and the other turbonerds but at least it was taught, and in highschool no less :unsmith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Was also likely involved in the largest extintinction event known, the perm-triassic extinction. I really hope nothing like it happens anytime soon.

Imagine that, H2S-producing bacteria receiving the right environmental conditions to go hogwild going and mass-suffocating life on earth.

Sort of like when O2-producing bacteria received the right environmental conditions to go hogwild and mass-suffocating life on earth.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

When my institution does the thermite demo they use glycerin and potassium permagnate (iirc) as the initiator for the thermite. No fiddling with blowtorches and magnesium strips. Just two tiny dropper bottles of individually inert liquids.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phanatic posted:

Thermite gets way hotter than 1000C. 2500C is more like it.

I used to be a PennDOT inspector and got to inspect a crew doing thermite welding once. It's impressive as hell. The stuff just comes premixed in set volumes, you tear open a bag, dump it into a crucible set over the weld zone (which you've preheated with big propane torches), and ignite it with a fuse that's literally a short, thick 4th of July sparkler. The reaction runs to completion in, oh, under 30 seconds, they pull the plug out of the bottom of the crucible, and white-hot molten iron pours into the weld mold. It's too bright to look at, you can feel the radiant heat coming off it from dozens of yards away.

Kid's chemistry sets today are neutered. But the materials to make thermite are cheap as hell and easy to get anyway: ordinary red rust and aluminum.

Yep. I've made and lit somewhere around 40lbs of thermite at goonmeets over the last few years. Melting holes in old engine blocks is fun.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Road flares (the red ones) or marine signaling flares are better. Way better. You can also use magnalium (basically thermite mixed with magnesium powder to make it easier to light, then it lights the regular thermite) but that means buying things you can't get at Autozone.

Perestroika posted:

I'd bet on copper thermite, as Kozmonaut noted. It produces a larger volume of liquid metal per volume of thermite ignited, so it has a higher propensity for spattering badly than regular thermite. However, you do NOT want to put your face over a container of regular thermite that's been ignited, in my experience, the shower of sparks and smoke (to say nothing of the intense wave of heat) goes 5-8 feet in the air if you're lighting a pound or two off.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

A blowtorch with a striker and a propane cylinder costs like 15 bucks at Home Depot. I can't even remember how many I own at this point because I tend to lose them and buy another because I need to fix something NOW, then find the drat thing the second I finish fixing whatever I was working on.

ATP_Power posted:

When my institution does the thermite demo they use glycerin and potassium permagnate (iirc) as the initiator for the thermite. No fiddling with blowtorches and magnesium strips. Just two tiny dropper bottles of individually inert liquids.

That's probably the neatest thing I learned today. Thanks.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Few pages back but:

Code Jockey posted:

Haha I heard about this on NPR this morning.

I live about ten blocks away from there. I drive by that house regularly.

:stare:

I wonder what toxins I've been breathing in.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Putting aluminum foil in a blender will do the trick though, we used to make thermite to set poo poo on fire with a few years back, friend I did that with is now making ridiculous jet engines, His current project is a valveless pulsejet wich puts out something like 500-600 pounds of thrust.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kastein posted:

A blowtorch with a striker and a propane cylinder costs like 15 bucks at Home Depot. I can't even remember how many I own at this point because I tend to lose them and buy another because I need to fix something NOW, then find the drat thing the second I finish fixing whatever I was working on.

Yeah those things own. Use them for lighting bbqs, fire pits, thermite fuses, other fires. Everyone go buy one or like 10.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Few pages back but:

I live about ten blocks away from there. I drive by that house regularly.

:stare:

I wonder what toxins I've been breathing in.

Nothing too bad. Everything was generally sealed. I'd be more worried if you lived along Lake Washington. More sewage leaks than I can keep track of.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Phanatic posted:

Sort of like when O2-producing bacteria received the right environmental conditions to go hogwild and mass-suffocating life on earth.

Bacteria and funig can do some wild things under the right conditions. I read the notes of a Soviet article in which it was proposed to produce vitamin B by starving Pichia spp of iron.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Boiled Water posted:

Bacteria and funig can do some wild things under the right conditions. I read the notes of a Soviet article in which it was proposed to produce vitamin B by starving Pichia spp of iron.

That may seem strange but almost all B12 is produced by bacterial fermentation. Commercial sources of B12 process the product of bacterial fermentation with potassium cyanide and sodium nitrate and heat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bhodi posted:

That superatom thing is cool, and you might know it better as the Bose–Einstein condensate. Basically, you know how the uncertainty principle, position times momentum equals half the planck constant, defines where electrons can be in an atom? Well, heat is momentum, so you make the atom really, really cold, momentum becomes really really small, and so the entire electron shell expands far, FAR beyond what's normal in compensation. Do that to a cluster of, say, a few thousand rubidium atoms and all the orbits overlap and suddenly you have one giant glob of atom that behaves just like it's a single atom. Except it's not.

I think the coolest bit is that tungsten carbide superatoms weigh 195.851 g/mol, and act virtually identical to platinum (195.084 g/mol). It's so close to being a perfect replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmium Tetroxide
Jan 28, 2009
My username