Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
is there a way to unfuck my iron man save that randomly decided to hand me a game over screen or should I just chalk it up to a Paradox Learning Experience (TM) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
In my game it's about 950. I'm the Duke of Salerno and have conquered most of the independent parts of southern Italy (Capua, Napoli, etc) but Sicily and a good chunk the heel is locked down by Byzantium, the rest (everything north of Rome, and Apulia and Bari) are under the Kingdom of Italy. It's been this way for 2-3 generations now and I'm getting bored watching two very large kingdoms that I can't do anything about just sit there and not do anything. Whats the move here? Swear fealty to one and try to break it apart from the inside? I've marred pretty well into the kingdom of Italy and have claims on the title myself, but I'd get crushed trying to press them.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

davecrazy posted:

In my game it's about 950. I'm the Duke of Salerno and have conquered most of the independent parts of southern Italy (Capua, Napoli, etc) but Sicily and a good chunk the heel is locked down by Byzantium, the rest (everything north of Rome, and Apulia and Bari) are under the Kingdom of Italy. It's been this way for 2-3 generations now and I'm getting bored watching two very large kingdoms that I can't do anything about just sit there and not do anything. Whats the move here? Swear fealty to one and try to break it apart from the inside? I've marred pretty well into the kingdom of Italy and have claims on the title myself, but I'd get crushed trying to press them.

Join the Byzantines, then help them form the Roman Empire and then kill loads of people and become the emperor.

How large are the average mongol stacks?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is there any reason why I, a Hindu empire, can't subjugate my neighbouring Jain kingdoms? I can use the cb on Sri Lanka no problem, but not on the more nearby kingdoms.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

marktheando posted:

Is there any reason why I, a Hindu empire, can't subjugate my neighbouring Jain kingdoms? I can use the cb on Sri Lanka no problem, but not on the more nearby kingdoms.

Indian Subjugation only works on the same culture group. There are two culture groups in India: Indo-Aryan and Dravidian.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Indian Subjugation only works on the same culture group. There are two culture groups in India: Indo-Aryan and Dravidian.

Ah right so that's why I can't subjugate the bastards. Luckily I have my daughter matrilinearly married to one of their princes, hopefully she will overcome her lesbianism and produce a child whose claim I can press.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

marktheando posted:

Ah right so that's why I can't subjugate the bastards. Luckily I have my daughter matrilinearly married to one of their princes, hopefully she will overcome her lesbianism and produce a child whose claim I can press.

Yeah, you'll either need to luck out with inheritance/claims or probably need to have a Dravidian educate an heir and switch to their culture group for a few generations so you can subjugate southern India.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Love this game. I erected a runestone dedicated to my mother. It mentioned that she died peacefully in bed and that I, King Haraldr had nothing to do with it.

I blotted her.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I seem to have a strange bug where since restoring the Persian Empire, people in the empire can no longer get married. Anyone know what might be causing that?

EDIT: Ha, turns out inheriting the Immortals title had turned my realm into a state where marriage is forbidden.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 5, 2014

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Reveilled posted:

I seem to have a strange bug where since restoring the Persian Empire, people in the empire can no longer get married. Anyone know what might be causing that?

EDIT: Ha, turns out inheriting the Immortals title had turned my realm into a state where marriage is forbidden.

Haha, that's pretty brilliant. :) Didn't know that was possible.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dutchfool posted:

Haha, that's pretty brilliant. :) Didn't know that was possible.

I gave the grandmaster the duchy of Tabriz and he made that his primary title, then died, and because he had the immortal title (and marriage was therefore forbidden), but was a feudal ruler by primary title, I inherited all his titles as his liege.

It's a shame it does that, because I had a ten thousand man holy order that cost literally no piety to hire, and literally no money in upkeep. It does strike me that it'd probably be a good timebomb title, give it to a problem dynasty and watch as their family gets destroyed by its no-marriage mechanics, like the curse of the monkey's paw.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Reveilled posted:

That's a new one in one of the recent patches. You used to be able to hold those titles no problem. I'm guessing it's a bug because it wasn't documented.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Reveilled posted:

I gave the grandmaster the duchy of Tabriz and he made that his primary title, then died, and because he had the immortal title (and marriage was therefore forbidden), but was a feudal ruler by primary title, I inherited all his titles as his liege.

It's a shame it does that, because I had a ten thousand man holy order that cost literally no piety to hire, and literally no money in upkeep. It does strike me that it'd probably be a good timebomb title, give it to a problem dynasty and watch as their family gets destroyed by its no-marriage mechanics, like the curse of the monkey's paw.

Sweet, indeed. Use it as a trojan horse into the Karling kingdom(s). :D Would be a hilarious way to gain power in Europe.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

MrBling posted:

is there a way to unfuck my iron man save that randomly decided to hand me a game over screen or should I just chalk it up to a Paradox Learning Experience (TM) ?

If I'm honest the save is probably a lost cause however just for future reference if it happens again don't exit to main menu, ctrl+alt+del and kill ckII from the programs list. It'll prevent ironman from auto-saving so it should give you an in game month to figure out what has given you the game over and correct it.

I've had random game overs a couple of times and by doing that the game over didn't trigger a second time so I managed to prevent my game coming to an end prematurely.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What exactly is the penalty for having a holding of the wrong type? I'm sitting on a city until I can grab the other county in its duchy and use that to create a vassal republic. I'm seeing various warnings about this but I don't see any indication of what the problem actually is. My vassals don't seem worried about it, as far as I can tell I'm still getting tax revenue, I don't see any heightened revolt risk, etc.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

What exactly is the penalty for having a holding of the wrong type? I'm sitting on a city until I can grab the other county in its duchy and use that to create a vassal republic. I'm seeing various warnings about this but I don't see any indication of what the problem actually is. My vassals don't seem worried about it, as far as I can tell I'm still getting tax revenue, I don't see any heightened revolt risk, etc.

You lose 75% tax revenue from having a wrong holding type. I think that's the only downside.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You get 75% less income from wrong holding types.

E:^:argh:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

MrBling posted:

At least you didn't have a marvellous empire, then accidentally make yourself the Pope.

You used to be able to alter save games with a text editor, but they've moved to a binary format now, and I couldn't find an editor, or an explanation of the format to write my own.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Edison was a dick posted:

At least you didn't have a marvellous empire, then accidentally make yourself the Pope.

You used to be able to alter save games with a text editor, but they've moved to a binary format now, and I couldn't find an editor, or an explanation of the format to write my own.

I don't play Ironman so maybe this is disabled, but there's an option to prevent compression of autosaves in the options menu, and when you save the game manually there's a checkbox on the right of the field you type the save's name into which will save the game in the old format.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Reveilled posted:

I don't play Ironman so maybe this is disabled, but there's an option to prevent compression of autosaves in the options menu, and when you save the game manually there's a checkbox on the right of the field you type the save's name into which will save the game in the old format.

Compressed savegames are a zip file of a metadata file and a game data file. I had assumed that turning off compression would change how it's zipped, rather than the game data blob's format, but I'll give it a look, thanks for the tip.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

You lose 75% tax revenue from having a wrong holding type. I think that's the only downside.

So, depending on how much you tax your burgher vassals, it might not be a penalty at all?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

So, depending on how much you tax your burgher vassals, it might not be a penalty at all?

Theoretically, but remember that the money mayors aren't giving to you doesn't just disappear into thin air - they're using it to upgrade the town (most of the time, anyway). So it's more efficient to tax them and let them invest in improving the town, then you benefit from the increased levy size as well as increased tax income without having to have spent any of your own money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, that question again, I cant get the tooltips over maps to stick to my mouse! They always appear way over in the bottom right corner of the screen. How do I fix this?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Thrasophius posted:

If I'm honest the save is probably a lost cause however just for future reference if it happens again don't exit to main menu, ctrl+alt+del and kill ckII from the programs list. It'll prevent ironman from auto-saving so it should give you an in game month to figure out what has given you the game over and correct it.

I've had random game overs a couple of times and by doing that the game over didn't trigger a second time so I managed to prevent my game coming to an end prematurely.

I know what happened. I joined a revolt in Italy as a patrician (not doge at the time) in Amalfi. That kicked me out of the republic and when the revolt finished I got a game over screen telling me I had become a merchant republic, which is true but I had been that the entire time. Just a quirk of the new revolt system I guess.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dutchfool posted:

Currently, when you know about a plot to kill close family to you, you will only get an imprison reason. But wouldn't the plotter(s) in real life have been imprisoned, only to be tortured and killed later? That as far as I know happened pretty often in early medieval times. Of course the family of the tortured/killed person will hate you, but the kings had a "valid" reason to do so and the vassals accepted it. The game doesn't reflect this.

Can't think of any specific cases off the top of my head, but didn't nobles who killed the wrong people usually ~mysteriously~ die in prison, rather than being openly convicted and executed? Assassinating people in prison is easy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MrBling posted:

I know what happened. I joined a revolt in Italy as a patrician (not doge at the time) in Amalfi. That kicked me out of the republic and when the revolt finished I got a game over screen telling me I had become a merchant republic, which is true but I had been that the entire time. Just a quirk of the new revolt system I guess.

Probably from your capital not being a coastal county.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

SeaTard posted:

Probably from your capital not being a coastal county.

My capital was Salerno, but I'm assuming the game over was because I was count level (two counties, couldn't hold a duchy since Amalfi isn't a king tier republic) and the game apparently couldn't put me back in Amalfi.
Presumbly if I held the duchy of Salerno I would have spawned my own republic?

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, count level republics are not playable.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well here's something interesting

The dark blue & light green in the middle east/north africa are yazidi and shia islam respectively. Sunni has been pushed out to Spain. Best I can tell is that the Byzantines won enough holy wars to tank their MA. I've never seen Islam fracture so badly before.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm trying to usurp the Kingdom of Scotland with Ivar the Boneless, but the game tells me that I cannot because it's the primary title and the current owner has land in the Kingdom.

What happens when King (or Duke, I guess) loses his last holding? Does he lose the higher title as well? Or does he take one from his vassals?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

paranoid randroid posted:

I've never seen Islam fracture so badly before.

I had a pre-RoI ironman Scotland save where the Muslim AI had nearly completely eliminated Sunni Islam in favor of Shi'a. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm trying to usurp the Kingdom of Scotland with Ivar the Boneless, but the game tells me that I cannot because it's the primary title and the current owner has land in the Kingdom.

What happens when King (or Duke, I guess) loses his last holding? Does he lose the higher title as well? Or does he take one from his vassals?

He takes it from his vassals. They changed the usurp rules in the last patch or two, so you can no longer usurp someone's primary title if they are of another religion and hold any land within that de jure kingdom, so just keep... chipping away at it, I guess.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Allyn posted:

He takes it from his vassals. They changed the usurp rules in the last patch or two, so you can no longer usurp someone's primary title if they are of another religion and hold any land within that de jure kingdom, so just keep... chipping away at it, I guess.

Crap. I better bumrush Ireland and get myself a King title before gavelkind does a number on my inheritance.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Luckily Scotland only takes 2 wars usually. Though Ireland is good if you're a different religion since you can just DOW each count after each war right away. I did that in my current Cathar game and felt a little bit bad but they started the first war so it's ok.

That said, it is a bit unfair how much of an advantage knowing that you can hire mercs gives you.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

MrBling posted:

My capital was Salerno, but I'm assuming the game over was because I was count level (two counties, couldn't hold a duchy since Amalfi isn't a king tier republic) and the game apparently couldn't put me back in Amalfi.
Presumbly if I held the duchy of Salerno I would have spawned my own republic?

I'm pretty sure one of two things happened there:

1. Joining the revolt made you the revolt equivalent of a count (due to how ranks are given out when a revolt starts) then once the revolt ended the game reverted you to a merchant republic which results in game over, similar to becoming pope giving game over.

2. As you mentioned you became an independent merchant of count level which (as far as I know) is just a glorified mayor resulting in game over.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Allyn posted:

As a king, you cannot swear fealty to an Emperor who is not your de jure liege. That's why he can't see the option.

That is kind of lame, really. If an Empire is rolling through lands outside their historical area, I for one would much rather swear fealty and pay my taxes to them than have them chip away at my kingdom. Get some Realpolitik up in here. We're mongols now, hooray!

Pellisworth posted:

I usually hand out a duchy or two to dynasty members, I generally don't care too much about the "unlanded son" penalty because Prestige is easy to get, but if I'm expanding and have extra sons I'll give them a single county in a newly conquered duchy or something.

I like to marry extra sons to some countess or duchess far away, especially if I can find one that doesn't require a matrilineal union. Too far away and not powerful enough to be a threat to the main line. The son is happy because he is landed now, at no cost to me. Mostly these distant lines just die out, but occasionally generations later you find some kinsman has become a king.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
How often does the AI use merc companies? If they have the cash they absolutely should do, every time imo. I'm finding it too easy to use mercs to win the opening battles, disband them and then siege the provinces down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Edison was a dick posted:

Have you tried not using Windows 8?

I'm currently using a machine less powerful to play CK2 with RoI, but I'm doing so on Ubuntu Linux.
If you've got spare space on your hard-drive, you can shrink a partition and install along-side, but if you regularly run out of disk space, I'd recommend buying a new drive.

Before Windows 8 I was using XP, which was fine but wouldn't run X-Com so I got 8 during that window when it was super cheap. Naturally some of my old equipment never got drivers for 8, so I had to install drivers for 7 instead, and frankly it is amazing the whole creaking mess hasn't blown up in my face. I did add a 1TB drive a couple years ago, so I thought about keeping an XP partition when I added windows 8, but ultimately :effort: won and I'm just going to muddle along until I can afford a new system.

As it is I can play everything up to and including Sons of Abraham, so I'm not missing much. The worst part is not being able to search the character finder by traits, but that's not a deal breaker.

I appreciate the interest though, thanks. :)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bitter Mushroom posted:

How often does the AI use merc companies? If they have the cash they absolutely should do, every time imo. I'm finding it too easy to use mercs to win the opening battles, disband them and then siege the provinces down.

Mercs cost money. A lot of money, at that.

On that topic, what are good ways to make money? In both my Zoroastrian game and my Ireland one, I never really felt rich. Former I was eventually getting 25 gold a month, plus money from constantly warring and besieging enemy holdings, and I probably would have felt a it richer if I hadn't been constantly upgrading my capital holdings, creating/usurping titles, and otherwise using my liquid assets, but it still felt like not so much. Also, what are good monthly incomes for various sized duchies/kingdoms/empires? I'm not sure if I was actually ahead or doing really poorly in that respect.

Related, what are good ways to spend one's money? I had heard that upgrading your capital so that you eventually start getting more money and other things from it is good, and obviously you always need some around in case of war or other event, but I'd like to know what else I should do with it. I almost never hold on to large amounts of it, unless I'm doing something like saving to construct a new holding, but if there are better ways of doing things I'm open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Need money? Create a merchant republic.

• Locked thread