Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Mariposa posted:

Look out, it's Spiderman!

I can't find the Undead Purgatory; I just realized that I haven't done it, and I thought it was in the cave across the bridge on the way from the third bonfire in Huntsman's Copse to the boss, but no dice. I've cleared out the whole area between the 2nd and 3rd bonfires, unless I missed something. Where is it?

Realizing that it's completely optional you'll want to leave the second bonfire, go over the first bridge, and keep turning right until you're looking across a long wood/rope bridge that's in shambles.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

Turn right after the first bridge from the bridge lookout bonfire and cross that bridge then follow the path around and across the wooden bridge.

Thanks; I just edited my post, because I saw that bridge. Somehow I've mentally blocked that bridge the dozen times I've been through here.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The face compilation is great, I'm wondering how he got some of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah, the moment you power stance Avelyns you give up your funhaver card. Just one is reasonable.

Dual Avelyns do an unholy shitload of damage but they cost an insane amount of stamina to fire powerstanced and the shooter can't cancel out of the reload animation. They're pretty easy to deal with the same way you'd deal with any spellcaster throwing high damage spells at you, which is roll towards them and stab them in the face.

Having both used them and fought against them a bajillion times I don't find them particularly more obnoxious or overpowered versus any given magic user spell spamming. Unless they're being used out of chameleon, that is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there anything that drops soul greatsword? Sticking it in a metal chest was just mean.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

These are not the eyes of a sane person.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm still looking for a good melee-caster build. Is the MLGS still awesome post-nerf? I was reccomended an awesome build for hex's, but is there a good way to get sorcery doing 500+ damage while still having the option of melee? Are there any awesome casting robes or should I just go with what's weight-efficient?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A lot of those faces seem to have a case of lazy eye.

Foxhound posted:

We've been ringing these bells forever we have! :shepface:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mariposa posted:

Thanks; I just edited my post, because I saw that bridge. Somehow I've mentally blocked that bridge the dozen times I've been through here.

Once you've done the two things in that area Killing the boss and grabbing the bone dust infront of the boss ascetic the bonfire you find and do it again. You'll be nicely rewarded.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Atoramos posted:

I'm still looking for a good melee-caster build. Is the MLGS still awesome post-nerf? I was reccomended an awesome build for hex's, but is there a good way to get sorcery doing 500+ damage while still having the option of melee? Are there any awesome casting robes or should I just go with what's weight-efficient?

It's still rather strong. It's not hideously amazing, but it's still good.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Bat staff.
Poison them.
Then switch to melee and harry the poo poo out of them---if they run away, chase them and murder them when they try to heal. If they stand and fight, do fast attacks and scrap until they die because poison damage means you win at attrition.

I do the dual cestus because by spamming the double attack I can keep them in place for a really long time--heavier weapons would do more damage, but while they're dying of poison you want attacks that take a long time for you to run out of stamina instead.

Then you can slap whatever hexes/sorceries/miracles you want on top of that build for added utility. Chameleon is fun!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's still rather strong. It's not hideously amazing, but it's still good.

Are there better options (Blue Flame?), and what armor makes for good castin?

It seemed like pulling teeth to find an upgrade to Club or Drangleic sword, but Claymore, Sun Sword, and apparently Mastadon Greatsword were all way better weapons. I just don't want to make the same mistakes on my caster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where are all the king's doors again? One's in the forest of fallen giants, I've been through the one in the shaded forest, where are the others? I want to try to fight Vendrick before I beat the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Foxhound posted:

They're not the eyes of a person at all. The Bellkeepers are basically hosed up living dolls.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Where are all the king's doors again? One's in the forest of fallen giants, I've been through the one in the shaded forest, where are the others? I want to try to fight Vendrick before I beat the game.

The third and final one is in the castle's basement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mystic Mongol posted:

The third and final one is in the castle's basement.

Thanks! Kept thinking there was a fourth.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Atoramos posted:

Are there better options (Blue Flame?), and what armor makes for good castin?

It seemed like pulling teeth to find an upgrade to Club or Drangleic sword, but Claymore, Sun Sword, and apparently Mastadon Greatsword were all way better weapons. I just don't want to make the same mistakes on my caster.

Blue Flame is mostly best for a silly gimmick where you cast Crystal Magic Weapon on your +5 Magic Blue Flame and suddenly have the best sorcery catalyst in the game.

For cool points, cast Soul Greatsword through it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Genocyber posted:

They never said it was for the controls, the most they said was make a better port, which they did.

I don't know, not bothering to make it play well with the standard control scheme for the platform doesn't sound like a great port.

Let's say the game was ported from PC to PS3 and it played better with KB+M. There'd be a shitstorm.

There's no reason for the KB+M controls to be as bad as they are, other than FROM being bad at doing them.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Fashion Souls time?

I'm using the Dragonrider set with the Dragonrider Twinblade and the Dragonrider Halberd as my melee weapons and the Dragonrider Bow for ranged combat. Character name is "Dragonrider".

CURRENTLY UNDEFEATED IN PVP against like, 3 or 4 people on the iron bridge. I hated using the twinblade at first but have come around on it over the run, and if I spiced down CMW I could see this build being arena-worthy considering how decent the innate magic damage of the Dragonrider weapons are.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Blue Flame is mostly best for a silly gimmick where you cast Crystal Magic Weapon on your +5 Magic Blue Flame and suddenly have the best sorcery catalyst in the game.

For cool points, cast Soul Greatsword through it.

Looks like one good option would be:
20 Str 12 Dex 40 Int/Faith, bunch of VIT to carry a sword with my staff
Carrying the Defender Greatsword+10 infused with Lightning
Carrying the Staff of Wisdom+10 for sorceries or the Dark Sunset Staff+10 if I'm hexing
Hexxers armor?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

11M SM BoB Duel report:

9/10 fights are against havels
7/10 fights are against dudes using nothing but thrusting attacks (since latency balloons their hitbox for some reason :FROM:)
6/10 fights are against dudes with dark resonant weapons
2/10 fights are against dudes just spamming WoG and GRS all day

Silentplanet
Oct 14, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

I don't know, not bothering to make it play well with the standard control scheme for the platform doesn't sound like a great port.

Let's say the game was ported from PC to PS3 and it played better with KB+M. There'd be a shitstorm.

There's no reason for the KB+M controls to be as bad as they are, other than FROM being bad at doing them.

I don't think that entitlement is going to get you very far though. There's no reason why they have to make the game work at all without a controller either.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Silentplanet posted:

I don't think that entitlement is going to get you very far though. There's no reason why they have to make the game work at all without a controller either.

I'm not saying there is. I'm saying that expecting a PC game to work well with the standard PC control scheme is not something that warrants ridicule.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Dezztroy posted:

I'm not saying there is. I'm saying that expecting a PC game to work well with the standard PC control scheme is not something that warrants ridicule.

It's also not something that warrants outrage, such as "From are a bunch of incompetent apes." Words actually posted by a human being!

Basically so long as you're not a huge shitlord you're pretty fine to make as many complaints as you'd like, go for it. The PC controls are bad and that sucks and it doesn't natively support every arbitrary resolution which could be better. Oh well!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's also not something that warrants outrage, such as "From are a bunch of incompetent apes." Words actually posted by a human being!

They did screw up the PC controls in both this and the first Dark Souls game, though. I mean, DS1 was barely playable without community fixes.

When you make a game for PC, you should at least make sure it actually works.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

DS1 was perfectly playable without community fixes it just didn't look quite as good

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Atoramos posted:

Looks like one good option would be:
20 Str 12 Dex 40 Int/Faith, bunch of VIT to carry a sword with my staff
Carrying the Defender Greatsword+10 infused with Lightning
Carrying the Staff of Wisdom+10 for sorceries or the Dark Sunset Staff+10 if I'm hexing
Hexxers armor?

Caitha's Chime or Black Witch's Staff for hexes, most of the main staff hexes are utility, so it depends on whether you want slightly more damage with GRS and Darkstorm or the ability to bust out dark fog without switching weapons.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
That's basically where the disconnect happens when "this game isn't completely optimized for my machine what a load of horseshit" comes in. "Make sure the game actually works" is such a gross overstatement it's ridiculous. Dark Souls 1 on PC was not a well-optimized game and didn't look very good without community mods. It would still run reasonably well, since if your complaints are about the visuals then your computer could probably run the game fine in the first place, and the game itself is still good. Its keyboard and mouse controls were terrible, it's true, but that's easy to work around and you're encouraged to do so.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, my experimentations with Bonfire Ascetics at the first ones for Forest of Fallen Giants and Lost Bastille paid off.

I've got the chest and arm pieces of the Heide Knight set now. I'm halfway to looking like an edgier version of Solaire. :black101:

Vanderdeath posted:

Some news on the lore front: EpicNameBro asked FROM about The Emerald Herald's name being listed twice in the credits and it turns out that the fourth firekeeper in the opening is an older Shanalotte.

I wonder if that means that the DaS 1 narrator was her as well. That'd be kinda neat.

See, something's weird.

The art book that came with the collector's edition has concept art of the Emerald Herald as a child.

But if what you say is correct, I guess we got her as a granny instead! Well, I suppose that's better than some kid delivering the opening monologue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have fifteen effigies having blown another fifteen when I didn't feel like being a shade. Should I beat the game then do the dark covenant before moving on or just do it now? Running out of effigies for it sounds lame.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I have fifteen effigies having blown another fifteen when I didn't feel like being a shade. Should I beat the game then do the dark covenant before moving on or just do it now? Running out of effigies for it sounds lame.

Get a ring of life protection and quit wasting effigies. Also there's a late game area that drops them constantly.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Dezztroy posted:

Flying games and some mech ones benefit from joysticks. Racing games benefit from racing wheels and pedals. Dark Souls 2 benefits from using a gamepad. Just the analogue movement alone makes the gamepad > any configuration of M&KB. PC can handle a bunch of different accessories to make games play better, that's why it's awesome. M&KB isn't the optimal option for every single game, especially for precision platformers.

In the same way I wouldn't play an RTS with a controller, I wouldn't play Dark Soul 2 with M&KB (until we have one with full analog movement at a schweet price). I wouldn't go back to a two-button mouse either. Extra buttons are great.
--
So close to Soul Geyser. I can't wait to cast it and watch myself be killed.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You can just help someone through a boss fight, and you're human again. It's better than using an effigy, and it nets you some souls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Doesn't even need to be a boss fight, a small summon sign can do it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Caitha's Chime or Black Witch's Staff for hexes, most of the main staff hexes are utility, so it depends on whether you want slightly more damage with GRS and Darkstorm or the ability to bust out dark fog without switching weapons.

If I go Black Witch's Staff+10 will it really benefit me to use any other staff, since it lets me cast both Hex and Sorceries? Should I infuse it? I saw that Great Resonant Soul can be made to do massive amounts of damage, but it would be cool having a sorcery or miracle that did similar.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mariposa posted:

You can just help someone through a boss fight, and you're human again. It's better than using an effigy, and it nets you some souls.

Or throw down the small white stone sign and help them for like 5 minutes if even that long depending on the area. Then bam back to human, spells recharged, and durability replenished.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mariposa posted:

Oh I know I just got lazy about it during a couple sections and some PvP. I just didn't care about that covenant until now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 6, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Or throw down the small white stone sign and help them for like 5 minutes if even that long depending on the area. Then bam back to human, spells recharged, and durability replenished.

Doing this in the Dragon Shrine is the weirdest thing. You're barely able to take out the two first enemies before you're sent back. Is it based on souls earned by the host?

Good place to farm for Smooth and Silky Stones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh I know I just got lazy about it during a couple sections and some PvP. I just didn't care about that covenant until now.

If you haven't yet, go chat with the stat allocation lady in Things Betwixt for some free Effigies. I think you get a second batch if you have King's Ring.

Once you don't need their services you can also murder them all, I think Milibeth drops some at least. That'll net you some sin obviously.