Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I don't think anyone can fault you for bailing on that one dude. There's neglect, and then there's NEGLECT. That thing was done unless someone with very deep pockets and a lot of time picked it up.

Bullshit. :colbert: Go look at me cleaning up a 1992 Legacy in the Detailing thread :v:.

(I don't blame him for bailing either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I hate that California went from this:

to this

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 6, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

atomicthumbs posted:

to this

Who even needs the URL on the plate?

I'm very happy that Montana did this

quote:

The following standard-issue plates from 1989, 1991, 2000, and 2006 are available as an alternative to the blue 2010 plate. The same standard-issue plate fees, options, and conditions apply to the 1991, 2000, and 2006 plates, but the 1989 design is numbered like a sponsored plate and is not available in military or amateur radio options.

As I am partial to some of the older designs and would have selected one to match my car.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Plates aren't art, they serve to identify your vehicle, show that you paid the correct road tax, etc. Anything beyond that is a waste of taxpayer money.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

EightBit posted:

Plates aren't art, they serve to identify your vehicle, show that you paid the correct road tax, etc. Anything beyond that is a waste of taxpayer money.

Thanks, Ron Paul

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

EightBit posted:

Solution: sell ad-space on license-plates, charge people for the privilege of driving around ads, blowjobs and coke all around!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I actually really like the current issue Texas plates:

(it's actually white)

There's several amusing custom combinations available right now too:

e: oh god

e2: all currently available

e3: :siren: paging CSB!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 6, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

atomicthumbs posted:

to this

<LA Law intro starts>

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

EightBit posted:

Whhhaaaaat? I'm pretty sure they're not operating at a loss, if anything it's a revenue gain.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

atomicthumbs posted:

to this

I am so unhappy that the retro plates will not include the sunrise plate. I'd have signed up a year ago.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

StormDrain posted:

Who even needs the URL on the plate?

I'm very happy that Montana did this

As I am partial to some of the older designs and would have selected one to match my car.

They're all awful.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Might as well get something for the 300 god drat dollars I gave them.

Bad dmv worker attitude alone isn't worth it man.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The new New York plates were specifically issued so the DMV could cancel the old plates, make everyone get new ones and charge for the privilege. That's part of why New Yorkers are pissed at them.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Snowdens Secret posted:

The new New York plates were specifically issued so the DMV could cancel the old plates, make everyone get new ones and charge for the privilege. That's part of why New Yorkers are pissed at them.

quote:

Do I need to get the new Empire Gold plates when I renew my vehicle registration?

No. You can keep your current plates when you renew your registration.

http://dmv.ny.gov/vehicle-registration/information-about-empire-gold-plates

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That must've changed, because they were certainly required when they came out, and it was specifically for revenue generation.

http://jalopnik.com/5402191/new-empire-gold-new-york-license-plates-a-car-owner-shakedown

quote:

"These new plates, in the official colors of the State of New York, will help maintain highway safety, reduce the number of unregistered and uninsured vehicles on our roads, and generate $129 million in General Fund revenue over two years, which will help address the State's financial crisis," said State Commissioner of Motor Vehicles David J. Swarts yesterday.
The plates will begin rolling out in March next year, and will be mandatory with all new vehicle registrations and renewals. The state already raised general license and registration fees 25% in September.

E: yep, a last-minute change made them optional instead of mandatory. Which tosses all the reasons for issuing them.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 6, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Might as well get something for the 300 god drat dollars I gave them.

Goddamn. My yearly registration is about $60.

A custom plate would double that. :sigh:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
$38 here, another $20 for a custom plate. I can't come up with anything good :(

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry for the blurriness, started pulling away as the light changed. Not as terrible as I thought when I snapped it, as I found the IS250 is RWD, so at least the donut is in the not-shittiest part; still, not used to seeing rolling crash survivors in Las Vegas, unlike my time in Miami. :unsmith:
Were they at least headed for some fun at the mini grand prix?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

People were so mad when this came out.

Half the cars on the road eventually had a sticker or something covering the smiley face. Nobody liked it at all. They got rid of it after a few years, and we're still using the replacement 8 years later.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I liked the "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" plates when I was a kid but I looked it up and apparently it has to do with Quakers. :doh:
http://www.15q.net/us4/pa85.jpg

Also agreed on the stupid California plates.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

I liked the "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" plates when I was a kid but I looked it up and apparently it has to do with Quakers. :doh:
http://www.15q.net/us4/pa85.jpg

Also agreed on the stupid California plates.

Why the :doh:?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

JaysonAych posted:

Half the cars on the road eventually had a sticker or something covering the smiley face. Nobody liked it at all. They got rid of it after a few years, and we're still using the replacement 8 years later.

Nah these are awesome. Like "comedy movie alternate reality" awesome. Can you imagine getting cut off by a car with that happy loving rising sun on the back? :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I miss the old 80's Iowa plates. Royal blue, white lettering, simple and good looking.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love Florida, such variety in our plates throughout the years:

35 years of White Plate with the State.

Obligatory internet apocrypha:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
^^ Why is there badging on the lights?? ^^

Hmm, looks not too bad from the front I guess?

Oh. :stare:

Owner of this vehicle backed a trailer into my (was a) project 944 very recently. If I were a lesser man, I would be Tempted to take a sledge to the rear of his poo poo Nissan. Actually, I probably should to prevent this thing from ever seeing the road again.

Falken fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 6, 2014

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You people and your fancy plates.

Now those are some fine plates!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Captain Trips posted:

These were so bad, they only made a million and a half, and the ones that never got used were melted down to make the current plates.

I had one of those. Looked like a menu from a Bob Evans Restaurant.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Fancy tamper-proof font! Which we have ignored, and made this mandatory

Dumb as hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shai-Hulud posted:

Why so needlessly complicated?

:denmark:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 6, 2014

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Why so needlessly complicated?

:denmark:

It's just weird that you guys can choose if you want the EU stripe on your plate or not. Bow to the EU dammit!

The stuff on the German plates makes sense though. The lower symbol between the numbers is the seal of the state where the car is registered and the upper one is color coded to show in what year the car needs to have its next TÜV inspection.
So cops can tell at a glance if the car is actually registered at all and if it's TÜV inspection is up to date. Both are required to drive the car on public roads. German efficiency!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shai-Hulud posted:

It's just weird that you guys can choose if you want the EU stripe on your plate or not. Bow to the EU dammit!

A large segment of our population either actively hates the EU, or is at least extremely sceptical.

I've only ever bought a new vehicle once and that was in 2008, before the EU stripe was added. Honestly, I think I would choose to leave it off if it ever came up, I'm not a huge fan of the EU. But I wouldn't actively get a new set of plates just to get rid of it on a vehicle I bought used.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

JaysonAych posted:

I hated these things, they were so stupid looking on any sort of sporty car (well, anything other than a soccer mom van really).

There is 50 (or near enough) different plates you can get in Kentucky, and they are only like $10 or $20 more per year. I've seen college plates in other states, but not as many as they have here. College plates, Organizations, causes etc. We get a zoo license plate because they give some of the money to the zoo and it looks pretty cool.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Shai-Hulud posted:

The stuff on the German plates makes sense though. The lower symbol between the numbers is the seal of the state where the car is registered and the upper one is color coded to show in what year the car needs to have its next TÜV inspection.
So cops can tell at a glance if the car is actually registered at all and if it's TÜV inspection is up to date. Both are required to drive the car on public roads. German efficiency!

If you don't have the EU identifier on your plate then you have to put those dumb oval stickers on your car saying where it's from. gently caress stickers on paintwork forever (yeah they come off easy but still ugh).

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

That must've changed, because they were certainly required when they came out, and it was specifically for revenue generation.

http://jalopnik.com/5402191/new-empire-gold-new-york-license-plates-a-car-owner-shakedown

E: yep, a last-minute change made them optional instead of mandatory. Which tosses all the reasons for issuing them.

People were *furious* about them. I get that they're a throwback to the 60s (and 70's and 80's) plates but with the modern reflective material, it looked like someone cut up a road sign. I think they were mandatory for like 2 months, then were made optional. I actually went with them when my car was due because I liked the way they looked on my white cr-v, but you really don't see them all that much anymore except on police vehicles.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Mass plates are the best plates.

And the old one is even better, plus you didn't need a front then!

Every time I see the motto, I think of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jabwko6ODaE

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 6, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only problem with Mass plates is you have to live in Massachusetts to have them. :sigh:

Only a matter of time till I get out of here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

If you don't have the EU identifier on your plate then you have to put those dumb oval stickers on your car saying where it's from. gently caress stickers on paintwork forever (yeah they come off easy but still ugh).

Put it on the rear window instead.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I actually really like the current issue Texas plates:

Those look like cheap flat plastic poo poo, which is exactly what they are. Stamped metal plates are the only acceptable plates.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

murphle posted:

Those look like cheap flat plastic poo poo, which is exactly what they are. Stamped metal plates are the only acceptable plates.
They certainly aren't, that's just a lovely picture. They are most definitely stamped metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

N is for Nipples posted:

They certainly aren't, that's just a lovely picture. They are most definitely stamped metal.

Whoops. Then whatever the black-on-white Texas plates are that don't have raised letters. Those look like flat plastic poo poo. Even if they are metal.