Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Atoramos posted:

If I go Black Witch's Staff+10 will it really benefit me to use any other staff, since it lets me cast both Hex and Sorceries? Should I infuse it? I saw that Great Resonant Soul can be made to do massive amounts of damage, but it would be cool having a sorcery or miracle that did similar.

Well, Magic Staff of Wisdom is probably better than Magic Black Witch's Staff, but I don't have one to compare yet. Dark Black Witch Staff and Dark Caitha's Chime have near identical scaling other than the chime having 24 more base damage. Dark Sunset Staff is a bit better if you're planning on using dark orb, dark hail, and affinity a lot, but dark orb is kinda weak (you're usually better off using lightning spears for PVE), dark hail requires you to get right up in their face, and affinity requires some ridiculous int investment to get the most out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Respecced into hexing just for Resonant weapon, won all 6 fights since.

e: I in all honesty can't tell if it's the katanas that are OP with their combination of decent speed and reach or the insane damage from Resonant Weapon

e2: Did some fights without Resonant Weapon, and it's a mix of both. The two downsides katanas have, lowish damage and lovely durability, are completely negated by Resonant weapon or completely irrelevant to PvP to begin with.

e3: lost my first fight since the respec to a havel with resonant washing pole

Domattee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 6, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably just the insane power of resonant weapon. Anything with decent dark damage before you cast that has ridiculous dark damage after.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

15 fights since the respec. Lost one to the resonant havel, one to a hacker, one to a resonant santiers. Almost lost two, one to a resonant dual caestus (:psyduck:), and one to a magic santiers. Clutch Avelyn (which I no longer have the stats to wield effectively) saved me both times. The other 10 were hilariously one sided.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Good god does miracle casting completely trivialize some of these boss fights.

Knocking out Veldstat shouldn't take 4 sunlight and a smattering of lightning spears with about 2 dodge rolls required. Probably going melee sword and board or two hander for next character.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

:allears:

http://99hunters.tumblr.com/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanfy posted:

If you haven't yet, go chat with the stat allocation lady in Things Betwixt for some free Effigies. I think you get a second batch if you have King's Ring.

Once you don't need their services you can also murder them all, I think Milibeth drops some at least. That'll net you some sin obviously.

Cool, I'll go back and grab them. I'm sure 15 or so is fine anyway, but I'll do it after I beat the final boss to make sure I don't screw myself. Then I have to decide if I want to do NG+, or another new game. Either way I'm going to go melee.

quote:

e: I in all honesty can't tell if it's the katanas that are OP with their combination of decent speed and reach or the insane damage from Resonant Weapon

Katanas, the grand lance, and the washing pole are most of what kills me, along with a twinblade here and there and sometimes a giant fuckoff mace. If there's one thing wrong with the game, it's how absurd the hitboxes are this time. A lot of the bosses like the Pursuer have the same problem.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Great Shield question: How screwed am I when I one-hand the shield for blocking while not having the required strength?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Randler posted:

Great Shield question: How screwed am I when I one-hand the shield for blocking while not having the required strength?

Your guard will break right away and you will be boned if I'm remembering right.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I haven't played this yet, but I loved and beat DS1 multiple times. Are miracles and stuff more powerful now? They seemed pretty gimmicky in the first other than that lovely aoe stun everyone spammed in PVP.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I haven't played this yet, but I loved and beat DS1 multiple times. Are miracles and stuff more powerful now? They seemed pretty gimmicky in the first other than that lovely aoe stun everyone spammed in PVP.

Wrath of God is still as bad as ever, it's just stupidly hard to get now :downs:

All magics got a bit of an overhaul and are more useful now, you won't be sniping people with lightning spears (well you can actually) but you can throw them like no tomorrow.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are red spirit invasions more rare in Dark Souls 2? I've been playing for a while now (doing earthen peak and shaded woods) and haven't had a single invasion as of yet.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The thing that makes katanas really good in PvP is their huge counter damage. For example, both Uchigatana and Chaos Blade have 150% counter damage, which means you'll be dealing 1.5x more damage whenever your enemy is attacking. Trading attacks is a huge part of PvP. And as soon as you win one trade and you have a HP lead, you can use that HP lead to stay aggressive and force your opponent to either trade more attacks or waste stamina into rolls and stuff. Also, the counter damage bonus also works on the bonus damage given by weapon buffs, so it's doubly good.

Here's some math

+10 Lightning Chaos Blade is 190 physical and 190 lightning damage.

Add some scaling you'll get with 25 dex and 42 faith and it's more like 210/220 damage. (just a random estimation)

Now add the buff and you'll have 210/351.

Now multiply that with the counter bonus and you'll have 315/567 damage.

If you've ever been 2-shot with a buffed katana in PvP, that's the reason.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Katanas, the grand lance, and the washing pole are most of what kills me, along with a twinblade here and there and sometimes a giant fuckoff mace. If there's one thing wrong with the game, it's how absurd the hitboxes are this time. A lot of the bosses like the Pursuer have the same problem.

Welcome to the paintrain :cool:
Grand Lance owns because very few people use it and the forward roll+R1 has insane reach.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Are red spirit invasions more rare in Dark Souls 2? I've been playing for a while now (doing earthen peak and shaded woods) and haven't had a single invasion as of yet.

Soul Memory kind of made random invasions less common place in DS2, most PvP is done now in either the arenas or the few PvP related areas.

From what I've read this will change once you reach NG+, I've played the game for about 100+ hours now and I have only gotten invaded by a red phantom twice.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm currently progressing through NG+ on a character and I expect and get at least one invasion per area. My friend who is a sinner gets back-to-back bluebro invaded in NG+ if he keeps using dried fingers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Foxhound posted:

Grand Lance owns because very few people use it and the forward roll+R1 has insane reach.

I... wouldn't say very few people use that. At least not past 2m and upwards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Foxhound posted:

I want to get off but I guess it's what I deserve for one-shotting people with great resonant soul at the looking glass knight. It's all over the place at around 2 mil soul memory though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how terrible are powerstanced giant clubs?

EDIT: Everytime I think a weapon might be fun to use I find out it has terrible durability :(

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So how terrible are powerstanced giant clubs?

EDIT: Everytime I think a weapon might be fun to use I find out it has terrible durability :(

Being able to actually dual wield giant clubs is the real achievement.

A guy in the console thread that they're not great but will one shot kill anyone dumb enough to actually walk into them, which to be fair is a lot of players :v:

I wanna find out if dual wielding Pikes is fun, all that reach.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 6, 2014

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
So, I think I completely hosed myself.

After beating the Royal Rat Vanguard (jesus..) i joined the Ratbros and instead of exploring past the Rat King I wanted to kill some invaders.

Wanting to be an rear end in a top hat I thought "hey, let's burn a Bonfire Ascetic so they have to fight NG+ rats!" :v:

Well, after burning it I remembered that I will now have to kill the Royal Rat Vanguard on NG+! :downs:

Please tell me that past the Rat King isn't the Gutter

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I... wouldn't say very few people use that. At least not past 2m and upwards.

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to get off but I guess it's what I deserve for one-shotting people with great resonant soul at the looking glass knight. It's all over the place at around 2 mil soul memory though.

Oh, well I didn't start PvPing "for real" until I was at about 3.5 mil so maybe that's why. I probably fought about 60 players altogether yesterday and didn't see anyone else using one so I figured it wasn't in style or whatever.
It's especially fun to dive out of chameleon and into a stab two player lenghts ahead.
Speaking of chameleon, had some guy try to manually aim throwing daggers at my fake cow head for like a solid minute.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

Some news on the lore front: EpicNameBro asked FROM about The Emerald Herald's name being listed twice in the credits and it turns out that the fourth firekeeper in the opening is an older Shanalotte.

I wonder if that means that the DaS 1 narrator was her as well. That'd be kinda neat.

Uh, link? Because the actress under Shanalotte (child) doesn't do her normal voice (that'd be Ruth Negga) and the Narrator voice is listed separately in the credits.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Just had a guy make a run for the boss, I stunlock him in front of the gate and he turned and started fighting me, when "The Host has challenged the area boss" and I got returned to my world while the host was wailing on me

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ronnz posted:

:unsmigghh:

Don't worry though you won't have NG+ the next area, also just keeping running back and forth between the two ends of the room killing a single rat each time until the Vanguard himself drops down, it makes the fight piss easy.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Ronnz posted:

After beating the Royal Rat Vanguard (jesus..) i joined the Ratbros and instead of exploring past the Rat King I wanted to kill some invaders.

Wanting to be an rear end in a top hat I thought "hey, let's burn a Bonfire Ascetic so they have to fight NG+ rats!" :v:

Well, after burning it I remembered that I will now have to kill the Royal Rat Vanguard on NG+! :downs:

beyond the Royal Rat Vanguard lies NOTHING. just that rat, that's all. He is a completely optional boss. So don't sweat trying to get past him again, there's no route to take there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ronnz posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an entrance to the gutter from the Majula well.

Also, the Vanguard fight isn't really that bad at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are a bunch of weapons I'd like to use but basically all of them are acquired in or close to the endgame :negative:

From would never add it, but I'd love it if there was a market where you could trade with other players for gear.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ronnz posted:

The entire area is 100% optional. You can just drop a little further down the well to get to The Gutter, as long as you have the ring or something else that reduces fall damage.

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
Alright, thanks guys! :D

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Randler posted:

Put it on and look at your equipment window, it'll show minuses all over the drat place and such. While probably being slower to raise as well.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
The monastery scimitar. In pvp.

That is some serious poo poo. Very few people seem to know what it does and it's just absolutely nuts!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ronnz posted:

You can get to the gutter through the well in Majula. Vanguard isn't that bad, either. You'll have much better options in NG+. If you want the real trick to make the fight more manageable, turn the music off and it won't seem so hectic. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got a Black Knight Greatsword after getting through Belfry Sol. This time, it's actually a greatsword, rather than an ultra! :v:

... why the HELL does it scale only C on strength? Ditto the Zweihander. This game is weird.

I think I still want to use the BKGS, though, assuming I can infuse and enchant it.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Got a Black Knight Greatsword after getting through Belfry Sol. This time, it's actually a greatsword, rather than an ultra! :v:

... why the HELL does it scale only C on strength? Ditto the Zweihander. This game is weird.

I think I still want to use the BKGS, though, assuming I can infuse and enchant it.

The BKGS from Dark Souls 1 is in as well, except this time it's also more accurately called the Black Knight Ultragreatsword.

The BKGS in this game is a very good weapon despite the scaling.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Mazed posted:

Yep.

Something to bear in mind: many bellbros aren't too pro at PvP (including yours truly :haw:) and you as the host have one advantage -- healing. It's going to be 2v1 most of the time regardless, and even if your opponents aren't technically skilled they may have lots of ways to dick you over, which is often the point. But, you can win. Patience will seriously pay off.

The other things to note are this: Both Belfries are completely optional. Sol far more so than Luna, as Luna at least has some stuff that's useful for the rest of the dungeon plus its very own boss fight. If you die to an invader, you do get a slight 'grace period' the same as if you'd died to a black phantom. For Luna purposes, it's more than enough time to blow past the little guys, ring the bell, pass through the fog, and party down with the gargoyles.

What I was doing was going into the belfry, killing my invaders then dropping a summon sign so that I could be summoned by dudes in there to have 2v2 scraps with the bellbros. Was very fun!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SurrealityCheck posted:

What I was doing was going into the belfry, killing my invaders then dropping a summon sign so that I could be summoned by dudes in there to have 2v2 scraps with the bellbros. Was very fun!

The noblest thing you can do in this game, even more than assisting people as a Blue Sentinel, is putting your summon sign in a Belfry tower.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

The noblest thing you can do in this game, even more than assisting people as a Blue Sentinel, is putting your summon sign in a Belfry tower.

Then after slapping the bros we could fight the silly gargoyles! Hurrah.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

So after many tries, I finally beat The Pursuer in iron fortress, only to have it kill me right before my spell killed it. So I got 0 souls and the ring it drops was lost too. That's actually the first time I got mad at this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Good lord, the Belfry is insane. It's been just two hours since I joined up and I've already got almost 50 chucks.:stare:
I feel a little bad those poor guys who were just trying to get to the boss, but you know... there are chucks to be had.

Also: In the Ruin Sentinels boss arena there's one hidden door that has just an empty little alcove. Am I missing something, or is there really just nothing there?