Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There is a chicken hatching in my house RIGHT NOW and I'm a terrible person because I don't have a webcam :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
trying to get some crisp and clear images of my turkey poults for you. My camera phone seems to suck what sorta cameras do you use?

Information about me: Working on making a hobby farm, last year it was veggies this year it is veggies and Turkeys. Minimum order was 20 from the hatchery so I ordered 10 Narragansett and 10 Bourbon Red
19/20 were alive on arrival (1 Nar down)
1 (another Nar)is having some issues so I made a homemade incubator so he wouldn't get crushed by his friends. Situation stabilized but I've been by his side all day tossing him a drip of water and a piece of feed every little while

They have a 30% survival rate after being hatched I am trying to beat those odds and have more survive.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Minclark posted:

trying to get some crisp and clear images of my turkey poults for you. My camera phone seems to suck what sorta cameras do you use?

Information about me: Working on making a hobby farm, last year it was veggies this year it is veggies and Turkeys. Minimum order was 20 from the hatchery so I ordered 10 Narragansett and 10 Bourbon Red
19/20 were alive on arrival (1 Nar down)
1 (another Nar)is having some issues so I made a homemade incubator so he wouldn't get crushed by his friends. Situation stabilized but I've been by his side all day tossing him a drip of water and a piece of feed every little while

They have a 30% survival rate after being hatched I am trying to beat those odds and have more survive.

30%?! What the heck?

When we raised turkeys, we always stuck some marbles in the feeder & waterer--they'd peck at the shiny marbles, accidentally get a bite of food or a drink, and catch on to the location of food/water. Or place a chick or two in with them to teach them. The marbles in the waterer also helped avoid any accidental drownings.

Giving shipped poults or chicks electrolyte solution to drink the first few days in place of water can also give them a boost and help them overcome the stress of shipping. Also great for sick/injured birds of any age.

Here is a recipe for an electrolyte solution you can make at home, equivalent to Pedialyte. Be SURE to keep it refrigerated and to make a fresh batch every 12 hours.

Mix together until all dry ingredients are dissolved:

1/2 Qt. Water
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

Offer the electrolyte solution free choice in place of the bird’s regular drinking water, handfeeding via an eyedropper at first if necessary. I've seen this stuff work miracles and be the difference between live and dead birds.

I use a Canon EOS Rebel XTi digital 35mm camera. Had it for a few years and it's great for what I use it for.

EDIT: Nettles, how many chicks did you end up with? PICTURES!

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

30%?! What the heck?

When we raised turkeys, we always stuck some marbles in the feeder & waterer--they'd peck at the shiny marbles, accidentally get a bite of food or a drink, and catch on to the location of food/water. Or place a chick or two in with them to teach them. The marbles in the waterer also helped avoid any accidental drownings.

Giving shipped poults or chicks electrolyte solution to drink the first few days in place of water can also give them a boost and help them overcome the stress of shipping. Also great for sick/injured birds of any age.

Here is a recipe for an electrolyte solution you can make at home, equivalent to Pedialyte. Be SURE to keep it refrigerated and to make a fresh batch every 12 hours.

Mix together until all dry ingredients are dissolved:

1/2 Qt. Water
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

Offer the electrolyte solution free choice in place of the bird’s regular drinking water, handfeeding via an eyedropper at first if necessary. I've seen this stuff work miracles and be the difference between live and dead birds.

I use a Canon EOS Rebel XTi digital 35mm camera. Had it for a few years and it's great for what I use it for.

EDIT: Nettles, how many chicks did you end up with? PICTURES!

I think the 30% number was somewhere in Storey's Guide to Raising Turkeys.

Initially I tried to get them to eat by dipping their heads in the food, this worked for the water but not the food. I stopped at Lowes and got some large nuts (which I washed when I got home) and put in their feed. I think this scared the birds when they got close so i switched to some vase rocks which came in a valentines day gift for my girlfriend 2 years ago. Shiny but not reflective seemed to be the key. Everyone scrables for some food and water and does a few laps around the brooder (minus scrappy hes barley able to move)

I have a pack of this I am using in their water.
Vital Pack Plus

I am going to use your homemade remedy on the sickling maybe I over vita-mined him on arrival.

Thanks for the advice time to go play mother hen again.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Yes! The electrolyte solution saves me when I'm sick, and just saved one of my young pullets who was having trouble with her first egg. She rent from nearly dead to a proper laying member of my flock overnight thanks to that recipe!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Okay, so before I go angling for permission to get a couple of chickens one concern is that they might stink up the place -- we've had to pass by a Tyson plant on trips to relatives and holy god does that entire area smell terrible on a warm night. Is that likely to be an issue? I'm thinking two to four birds max, probably starting with two.

And what all is needed for the little buggers? Like how much feed and such?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Smell is a nonissue unless you're keeping them in a really enclosed area. 6 chickens produce less fecal matter in a day than an average dog. As far as feed goes, I have 11 full grown chickens and go through a 50lb bag every 2-3 months or so.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I got... A lot of chicks. :v: I'll take pictures later when I've nursed a camera into life. And Vivian. :( Giving her that stuff up there through a tiny syringe (1.0ml total)

It's been like this since about day 1 and since before I gave her any water, but she makes a popping noise when she breathes. I'd think it was her lungs if she didn't SHOUT SO MUCH...

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Here are some pictures of Alecto, Tisiphone, and Megaera.

Tisiphone (left) and Megaera (right) prepare to set off on adventures.

Or Tisiphone heads off on adventures while Megaera engages in her favourite game, Climbing On Things.

Here is Tisiphone eating some tasty grass.

Megaera doesn't have the few white patches that Tisiphone does on her chest, head, etc. She is a lighter brown.

Tisiphone also looks a little angrier, though she was incredibly friendly.

This is the current favourite spot for having dust baths. Alecto is fluffing up somewhat here but she is a bit bigger and fluffier to start with. (left to right: Megaera, Tisiphone, Alecto)

KABOOM

Alecto wanders off to get a drink. (You can see Tisiphone's white patch on the back of her head easily.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 2, 2014

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Anyone have a guesstimate of how long before i should start introducing things like a handful of lawnmower clippings or some dandelions? I'm concerned my poults are bored... or is this just me being too involved?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Minclark posted:

Anyone have a guesstimate of how long before i should start introducing things like a handful of lawnmower clippings or some dandelions? I'm concerned my poults are bored... or is this just me being too involved?

I give my chicks goodies the first week. Just make sure that it is something they can easily eat (nothing like grown-up bird food) and if you give out grass clipings, make sure they are short and not too much at once--you don't want a crop blockage. My chicks love a grassy dirt clod to play on and scratch in, I just trim the grass off short and plop the whole thing in. Raw corn on the cob is also good, as are thing like apple chunks (no seeds), cabbage, squash, diced grapes, tomato, melon, etc. Anything that takes time to eat is great entertainment for birds.

If they don't pay attention to it at first don't worry--they will. :)

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
The emulsified apple i delivered this morning was a hit got to watch them all run around and pile ontop of eachother to get some. Going to try some cabbage in a day or two once this apple is sure to have passed through their systems.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Hell in a bucket.

This beak was made for bawking.

Him sso shiny :3:

That eye is full of derp.

Chido fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 4, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Hell in a bucket.

This beak was made for bawking.

Did you get a new camera, Chido? Love the photos, especially the first two! Please post more chicken pics! :D

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I took them with my phone camera. I was ssurprised at how nice they came out :D.

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

I'm trying to figure out what kind of bushes I can plant in my chicken run to give the birds some extra shade/places to hide during the day. I've got some dwarf evergreens I'm going to transplant in, and I've got a ton of rhododendron in the yard (the previous homeowner loved them I guess; I'm not really a fan). Initial research tells me rhododendron is one of many plants and shrubs that are poisonous to chickens. But then, so are avocados, and I remember someone here has a big avocado tree that her chickens like to roost in at bedtime for the fun of frustrating her. Is rhododendron safe to plant where the chickens have constant access to it? Are they smart enough to sit under it without trying to eat it, or are they going to nibble at it and make themselves sick?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

2 weeks old, Jesus is getting some feathering coming through.

Current suspects for the mother are a RIR, a gold-laced Wyandotte, a cuckoo Maran, an Easter Egger and a Welsummer. Anyone have a guess?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So one of my year old Marans has decided the weather is right to go broody. The noises she makes are hysterical.

http://youtu.be/pH5dLxVHhGU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^^ Love the 'Bu-COW!' sound. :keke: I have 9 broodies of varying degrees at the moment. The d'Uccle banty girls come out and angrily peck your foot, like 'Look at me, I'm broody! Are you watching? Watch meeee, watch meeee....'

snakecharmer posted:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of bushes I can plant in my chicken run to give the birds some extra shade/places to hide during the day. I've got some dwarf evergreens I'm going to transplant in, and I've got a ton of rhododendron in the yard (the previous homeowner loved them I guess; I'm not really a fan). Initial research tells me rhododendron is one of many plants and shrubs that are poisonous to chickens. But then, so are avocados, and I remember someone here has a big avocado tree that her chickens like to roost in at bedtime for the fun of frustrating her. Is rhododendron safe to plant where the chickens have constant access to it? Are they smart enough to sit under it without trying to eat it, or are they going to nibble at it and make themselves sick?

I wouldn't take the chance. I used to have a bay plant that grew quickly and made a nice shrub for my birds to sit under. I'm planning on planting some gray dogwood and train it as a shrub, and some hawthorne and arrowwood viburnum for my chickens. I've also had roses-the floribundas grow quickly into large, bushy shrubs, the 'Iceberg' variety is great. My chickens loved to eat the rose petals and didn't kill the plants. The thorns were never an issue. :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
We have some weird poplar looking trees around our coop. They grew 9 feet in one year. It was stupid.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So one of my year old Marans has decided the weather is right to go broody. The noises she makes are hysterical.

http://youtu.be/pH5dLxVHhGU

Thank you for sharing that video! Sooo very funny. It looks like she didn't take part of your arm off! Your other video in slo-mo, the hen with the floppy comb was FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The A/U/G thread had a post about chickens! Have some lovely chickens with their awkward human friends:

1 2 3 4 5 6

I want #6's jumper :henget:

Here are the rest of the pictures.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Fun pictures! Although a lot of those people look like they had no idea their pictures were being taken, it's odd. Smile, people!

That said, I WANT this gray Cochin (holy crap it's only 6 months old!)
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3mEukr1-RCs/Enthusiasts+Participate+National+Poultry+Show/DYmZwD1NQEH

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

This chicken doesn't even look real.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

None of the chickens in those photos were named. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
WHY is it the same breed of chicken in the US is so different from the UK? Have the Americans diluted or in-bred the bloodlines too much? Gorgeous, 6 months old! WOW I can't imagine holding that HUGE ball o'feathers!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3mEukr1-RCs/Enthusiasts+Participate+National+Poultry+Show/_sjr3z9DjD7

This kid's not real. Nobody can rock a pompadour like that at a chicken show, it simply defies the rules of reality.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3mEukr1-RCs/Enthusiasts+Participate+National+Poultry+Show/_sjr3z9DjD7

This kid's not real. Nobody can rock a pompadour like that at a chicken show, it simply defies the rules of reality.

This is England we are talking about. Reality is different there.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is England we are talking about. Reality is different there.

Brit here, can confirm reality is very much different here.

Going to see my Fianceé's dad again in a few weeks. Since we last saw him he has gained 21 hens. Poor guy got hit hard with Moorehens it seems.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Have some chicks. :v:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ljbq2f2ulhxrhm/Dzzk0da-YT

Dunno why one of them is bald, I think he's the chick that had the shell stuck to him in the incubator, he seems healthy enough.

You'll notice no Vivian. :(

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 5, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nettle Soup posted:

You'll notice no Vivian. :(
Sorry to hear that. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
When do I get someone to name a rooster chick the Gin Monk?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I WANT IRONFEATHER. Such a proper little fatball. :neckbeard:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Nambroth on deviantART made an art celebrating 10 years with her husband. I suggest you use it for all future anniversaries with your loved ones.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Here's my current flock. I have a set of polish, olive-eggers, and silkies in a brooder right now to add 3 more chickens for a total of 9 once they're grown.

From left to right: Foghorn Leghorn, Tilapia, Kevin, Dagda, Waffles, and just out of frame is a black silkie named Fluffybutt.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
An extract from my late grandfather's memoirs:

quote:

My mother was Hilda Gadsden and my father Edward James Smith. He was a soldier, having enlisted in 1918 as a Boy Trumpeter in the Royal Artillery and was a Sergeant by the time I was born on the ninth of June 1924. The first memory that I seem to have is one of myself dressed in a toddler's frock, standing in Grandpa's chickenrun at Chalk with a pullet clasped in my arms - I think I must have been about four years old. At least, I believe I remember this, because to this day I can recall the smell of the bird.

Grandpa had a smallholding at Chalk where he grew crops which he sent to market in Covent Garden and also kept a large number of hens and marketed their eggs, and a cherry orchard, in which, for the payment of a halfpenny I was employed to walk about rattling some stones in a tin to scare off the birds when the fruit was ripe. He also bred rabbits for sale and had a patient elderly horse called Colonel. Grandpa was well-known in the poultry world, and was frequently in demand as a judge at poultry shows. In earlier years when he was employed on an estate in Kent he developed the Buff Orpington breed of chicken, which was a very popular egg-producer at that time.

So when I moved out of town and acquired the space to keep chickens, picking the breed was a simple choice.

I found a local breeder with Buff Orpingtons and a few Lavender Orpingtons. They seem to be settling in well, although I'm kinda nervous about leaving them alone tonight.

One horribly nooby question, however. I picked up one of these waterers. How on earth do I fill the jar without dumping water all over the place when I flip it over?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

saint gerald posted:

An extract from my late grandfather's memoirs:

So when I moved out of town and acquired the space to keep chickens, picking the breed was a simple choice.

I found a local breeder with Buff Orpingtons and a few Lavender Orpingtons. They seem to be settling in well, although I'm kinda nervous about leaving them alone tonight.

One horribly nooby question, however. I picked up one of these waterers. How on earth do I fill the jar without dumping water all over the place when I flip it over?

That's a feeder, for food.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's a feeder, for food.

Yep, for water you want this one http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/harris-farms-screw-on-fount-base-1-qt?cm_vc=-10005

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I said it was horribly nooby. No wonder.

Any suggestions for a water source I can jury-rig to get me through the next day or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

saint gerald posted:

I said it was horribly nooby. No wonder.

Any suggestions for a water source I can jury-rig to get me through the next day or so?

Get a small dish, fill it with marbles/rocks whatever and fill it with water.

Make sure they can't drown in not.