Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

astr0man posted:

Canon is dumb anyways. In my book Revan is actually female and the Exile Jedi Jesus is male :colbert:

I think what ended up being done with those characters in later games, books, guides and comics is, if not an argument against continuity, at least an argument that most Star Wars authors have no concept of subtlety, ambiguity, or leaving well enough alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

I think what ended up being done with those characters in later games, books, guides and comics is, if not an argument against continuity, at least an argument that most Star Wars authors have no concept of subtlety, ambiguity, or leaving well enough alone.

NJO/DN/LotF was out well before then and made the case even more eloquently.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Srice posted:

Much like superhero comics, it's not like the EU was ever going to give permanent closure on the main cast anyways.
As consistancy was more or less maintained it would have been easier to write some closure in, that is if Denning hasn't hosed it up. I wouldn't exactly look to superhero comics as a good example of telling an overarching story.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

For my money, the early canon-less Star Trek novels were the way to go. Pocket Books put out Star Trek books that, if they had continuity at all, were only back to TOS (occasionally to TAS, but very rarely) or to other books written by that author. So Diane Duane's Vulcan/Romulan novels were over here, John Ford's Klingon books were over there, and Peter David's "take an obscure plot point and careen madly down the road with it" books are way the gently caress past the horizon. Nothing affected anything else. And as such, each could be enjoyed on their own terms. You figured out which authors were good and read their books and ignored the rest. You never had to read a book by a lovely author because it was "important to the plot."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

Some very interesting information is coming out of the Star Wars: Dinner with the Stars event at Star Wars Fan Fun Day in Burnley, Lancashire. Movie Circket, who sponsored the dinner, spoke with John Morton, the actor who played Dak in The Empire Strikes Back. Morton let it slip that he had some inside knowledge about the connections between Episode VII and the animated series Star Wars Rebels. According to Morton,
Characters from Rebels will appear in Episode VII
Rebels will "set up and point the direction for ‘Episode VII’"
Billy Dee Williams will be voicing Lando Calrissean on Rebels
As for how Rebels will connect and set up Episode VII, Morton said,

"Rebels is the key. Rebels will provide the link to bring in the continuity from Clone Wars, the Original Trilogy and the Prequels to enable Lucasfilm and Disney to tee-up ‘Episode VII’. If you want my informed opinion, it will enable ‘Episode VII’ to leapfrog over the whole trilogy."

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/05/rumor-major-connections-between-rebels.html

So Lando might be in Rebels...kind of odd, since he was a scoundrel at that point in time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

alg posted:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/05/rumor-major-connections-between-rebels.html

So Lando might be in Rebels...kind of odd, since he was a scoundrel at that point in time.

"The must have heard about that little maneuver I pulled at the Battle of Tanaab." Since the EU explanation for that is likely out the window, there's no reason they can't have Lando getting involved with the Rebels early then skating off when the heat gets too much for him or something.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
You know, I was thinking about this whole canon/non-canon debate and how JJ Abrams likes to gently caress with expectations. Wouldn't it be awesome if we went to Episode VII and it turned out Max Von Sydow was voicing Thrawn??

(Seriously, the guy insisted for months that the villain of Into Darkness wasn't going to be Khan, nope, no way, no how. Movie comes out, and it's loving Khan.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You know, I was thinking about this whole canon/non-canon debate and how JJ Abrams likes to gently caress with expectations. Wouldn't it be awesome if we went to Episode VII and it turned out Max Von Sydow was voicing Thrawn??

(Seriously, the guy insisted for months that the villain of Into Darkness wasn't going to be Khan, nope, no way, no how. Movie comes out, and it's loving Khan.)

I could see that. Dude loves his Mystery Boxes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jng2058 posted:

For my money, the early canon-less Star Trek novels were the way to go. Pocket Books put out Star Trek books that, if they had continuity at all, were only back to TOS (occasionally to TAS, but very rarely) or to other books written by that author. So Diane Duane's Vulcan/Romulan novels were over here, John Ford's Klingon books were over there, and Peter David's "take an obscure plot point and careen madly down the road with it" books are way the gently caress past the horizon. Nothing affected anything else. And as such, each could be enjoyed on their own terms. You figured out which authors were good and read their books and ignored the rest. You never had to read a book by a lovely author because it was "important to the plot."

drat it, you're making me want to go re-read Dreadnought! and Battlestations! again.

And to prove your point, they're still awesome stories even though practically everything in them eventually got contradicted by canon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jng2058 posted:

At what point did the Trek novels start trying to follow a cohesive canon? I remember Peter David's New Frontiers series drew from a number of other books, but on second thought I feel like it was mainly his own works.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

At what point did the Trek novels start trying to follow a cohesive canon? I remember Peter David's New Frontiers series drew from a number of other books, but on second thought I feel like it was mainly his own works.

I want to say it really took off with the whole DS9 Season 8 stuff. So 2000 or so? A lot of the other named series, like Titan, Vanguard, Corps of Engineers tended to bleed over as well. New Frontiers and IKS Gorkon tended to be set in remote enough areas that nothing tended to crossover one way or the other, but oddly enough certain concepts and characters from The Lost Era did re-appear.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Incidentally, ironically, and unfortunately, Thrawn was the character Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
What I'm saying is, cast Cumberbatch as Thrawn and Freeman as Pellaeon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So the latest Episode 7 rumor is that the title is "The Ancient Fear", and that the villain the title refers to isn't the Sith.

So...cross your fingers for the Killiks!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Chairman Capone posted:

So the latest Episode 7 rumor is that the title is "The Ancient Fear", and that the villain the title refers to isn't the Sith.

So...cross your fingers for the Killiks!

Star Wars Episode VII is rated NC-17 for it's graphic depiction of bug orgies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

api call girl posted:

What I'm saying is, cast Cumberbatch as Thrawn and Freeman as Pellaeon.

Cumberbatch is a little young but he could probably pull it off. gently caress, Khan in the most recent movie was pretty close to Thrawn, just a little more megalomaniacal.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
With Andy Serkis as Rukh, Von Sydow as C'baoth, Cumberbatch as Thrawn.

Now that is how you cast a loving Star Wars movie.

Edit: Christopher Plummer as Pellaeon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I kind of see Karrde as Gary Oldman.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Colm Meaney would make a good Corran Horn, if the CCG pictures are anything to go by. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Stop making me excited for things that may never happen guys :smith:.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Colm Meaney would make a good Corran Horn, if the CCG pictures are anything to go by. :v:

Every movie will need to have at least one "Corran must suffer" moment.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Yup, Meaney would make a great Stackpole

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I'm seeing John de Lancie there???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Working my way through The Clone Wars, which, again, I love, and I came to a story arc in season 3 that I don't love, or at least don't really understand. I'll spoil it in case anyone else is going to watch it but it's the Mortis Arc where Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka go to some weird Force planet...thing, and meet 3 living Avatars of the Force, one light, one dark, and their father, who I think represents balance of the two. Obi-Wan and Anakin both meet the ghost of Qui-Gon (maybe for real? who knows, it was actually Liam Neeson, which was cool) and Anakin gets a vision of what will come. His betrayal of the Jedi, fighting with Obi-Wan, even the Death Star destroying Alderaan and the Vader mask.

Then the father makes him forget it, so whatever I guess. In the end, the light side and dark side representations are dead, and the father says Anakin has done as prophesied and brought balance to the Force...on this planet at least. And they leave, and find out they had only actually been missing for a moment.

What the hell was that? Did any of it happen? Do Obi-Wan and Ahsoka remember it, or was it all in Anakin's head? Was it just some convoluted way of them getting Liam Neeson in, and showing the Vader mask, so it was never really supposed to make sense? Did Lucas suddenly try his hand at an episode arc himself?

Basically, any background info on that arc that would be interesting to know, or is it just some weird episodes in an otherwise amazing season?

parara
Apr 9, 2010
I basically blocked out any memory of that arc and went on my way through the rest of the show, because it was that loving bad. I still have no idea why they felt those episodes were a good addition to the show.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

thrawn527 posted:

Did Lucas suddenly try his hand at an episode arc himself?

From what I read, that's pretty much what happened. They have been curiously quiet about the Mortis arc in publicity material, refusing to elaborate much. I seem to recall there were plans to revisit the themes had the show continued, but so far, that's all we get. The story seems to have been very dear to Lucas' heart, but as to why, and why it's being told in such an obfuscated way on the one hand (many questions left open) and so obvious and clichéd on the other hand (father/daughter/son, was it all a dream etc.) we don't know.

Of course then the EU got hold of it, and things got muddled a lot further. Take a look at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_wielder and go from there, if you like.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

From what I read, that's pretty much what happened. They have been curiously quiet about the Mortis arc in publicity material, refusing to elaborate much. I seem to recall there were plans to revisit the themes had the show continued, but so far, that's all we get. The story seems to have been very dear to Lucas' heart, but as to why, and why it's being told in such an obfuscated way on the one hand (many questions left open) and so obvious and clichéd on the other hand (father/daughter/son, was it all a dream etc.) we don't know.

Of course then the EU got hold of it, and things got muddled a lot further. Take a look at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_wielder and go from there, if you like.
Abeloth might be part of the new canon :shepface:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Abeloth could be the ancient enemy from the new trilogy :v:

edit: oh god what if the real reason for wiping out the post-ROTJ EU was just so they can skip right to Legacy of the Force :ohdear:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 8, 2014

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
Calling Waru from 'The Crystal Star' as the enemy for the new trilogy. He's ancient and i'd certainly be in fear.

Col.Schultz fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 8, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mortis apparently was indeed the brain child of Lucas (usually he kept to JarJar and the droids in the series IIRC), so the whole thing is pretty much what he always imagined for the Force. I don't like the Mortis stuff at all, as it is very confused and ultimately doesn't have any payoff except some fanservice, but some people seem to like it. I don't think anyone involved remembers it, it would have had led to very different decisions for RotS after all if Obi-Wan remembered.

And man, rewatching the first arc of season six is such a downer. Great story, but some of the darkest material in the whole Star Wars universe (including the former EU).

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 8, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Decius posted:

Mortis apparently was indeed the brain child of Lucas (usually he kept to JarJar and the droids in the series IIRC), so the whole thing is pretty much what Lucas claims he always imagined for the Force.

It's important to remember that when Lucas says that he planned Star Wars out from the beginning, he's lying. All the credible evidence (laid out in Michael Kaminsky's The Secret History of Star Wars) points to Lucas making up the Star Wars saga as he went along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's important to remember that when Lucas says that he planned Star Wars out from the beginning, he's lying. All the credible evidence (laid out in Michael Kaminsky's The Secret History of Star Wars) points to Lucas making up the Star Wars saga as he went along.

It isn't even a case of needing evidence. George Lucas literally sent a letter to the guys who made Lost where he flat-out said he made it up as he went along. He doesn't even try to claim otherwise now.

George Lucas posted:

Congratulations on pulling off an amazing show. Don’t tell anyone … but when ‘Star Wars’ first came out, I didn’t know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you’ve planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories — let’s call them homages — and you’ve got a series.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Pththya-lyi posted:

Even "The Making of Star Wars" by J.W. Rinzler doesn't claim he had it laid out from the beginning. I'm halfway through Rinzler's "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" and for a book that is (I guess) authorized by Lucasfilm, it seems astoundingly honest and doesn't shy away from talking about problems during the productions of the movies.

In fact, can anyone point me to an interview where Lucas says he planned everything from the beginning? I've only heard people state that Lucas said it, but I don't think I ever heard Lucas himself make the claim.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I vaguely recall interviews where he stated something along the lines of "I wrote the script and it ended up being way too long. So I took the first part and left the other two on the shelf and hoped I'd get the chance to revisit them someday" those other two being ESB and ROTJ.

Maybe it was a Leonard Maltin interview.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah in one of the OT DVD/bluray special features documentaries Lucas says he originally wrote out the full OT but just made the first third because the script was too long.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thwomp posted:

I vaguely recall interviews where he stated something along the lines of "I wrote the script and it ended up being way too long. So I took the first part and left the other two on the shelf and hoped I'd get the chance to revisit them someday" those other two being ESB and ROTJ.

Maybe it was a Leonard Maltin interview.

There are several old versions of the scripts. Dark Horse made a comic book series out of the first one of ANH, the one where the Darth Vader character was split in two different people, with Starkiller, Annikin Skywalker, alien Han Solo and so on, which is basically a incredible convoluted and longwinded version of the Hidden Fortress.
Another of RotJ features a bodily resurrected Obi-Wan protecting Luke against the Emperor's lighting during the showdown in the lava cave throne room. Or a subplot with an bureaucrat trying to discredit Vader in the eyes of the Emperor and lots of other stuff. Quite interesting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I strongly remember that the collector's edition of the Rinzler Making of Star Wars has an extra section that is explicitly stated as being from 1977 where Lucas talks about midichlorians, and Rinzler later made a blog post saying that Lucas actually wrote it specifically for the book but dated it from 1977 because it "reflected the concepts he always had in mind" or something like that.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

a story arc in season 3 that I don't love, or at least don't really understand. . . .the Mortis Arc where Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka go to some weird Force planet...thing

I read the discussion of this arc last night and thought to myself, "it's things like this that make me glad they're voiding the EU." Then I remembered that they've made it one of the "immovable objects of Star Wars history, characters and events to which all other tales must align."

:(

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Megachile posted:

I read the discussion of this arc last night and thought to myself, "it's things like this that make me glad they're voiding the EU." Then I remembered that they've made it one of the "immovable objects of Star Wars history, characters and events to which all other tales must align."

:(

Eh, I might not be a fan of the Mortis stuff, but at least it isn't some world building breaking poo poo like Flow Walking or the Sun Crusher. Clone Wars does a good job of fleshing out the world between AotC and RotS without going overboard (mostly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hell, why not just get the man himself?