Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nephrite posted:

How is tanking in this game? Do you have to spend your entire time fighting for threat against DPS types, or do the "Additional Threat" moves give you enough of a lead that you can just do your regular rotation without worrying that DPS A isn't targeting the same thing as you?

WoW actually dumbed it down too far a few expansions back. It got to the point where I could just make sure whatever AOE threat generator I had running was going and I'd never lose something from a pack.

In fact the preferred method for dealing with 99% of the trash in a dungeon was to pack it into a tight little ball and have the DPS AOE it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
They have since abandoned the threat game so that rather than spending resources on keeping threat, tanks spend resources on healing/shielding themselves and their threat generating attacks are either free or actually generate resources.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I play a tank in WoW and have since way back in Vanilla, so I'm just trying to figure out if Wildstar is more on the "you have to constantly fight for threat aaaa" or "hit one button and everything is attached to you."

It sounds like it's something in the middle, with Warriors having some threat issues that I would guess would be ironed out before the game gets released.

I don't mind if threat isn't something automatic, but at the same time, something like FF14's where you have to mash the "does a lot of threat" button and tab through every mob or it all peels off is really frustrating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Normal Adult Human posted:

Warrior threat generation is seriously problematic because they have no way to just hit something for a large amount of threat without spending a few attacks building up. Even after that competent dps can still pull agro from them if they aren't paying attention (stalker and engineer tanks don't have threat problems) It's kind of like making everyone wait for sunders back when that was a thing.

Warrior feels really rough right now in general. I know people have been saying they're insane at higher levels with gear, but I'm worried we'll hit the whole EQ style classes get buffed and nerfed or lack thereof based on the performance of the top 5%.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Nephrite posted:

I don't mind if threat isn't something automatic, but at the same time, something like FF14's where you have to mash the "does a lot of threat" button and tab through every mob or it all peels off is really frustrating.

That's just what you get for playing a paladin instead of picking the obviosuly superior warrior :smug:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Am I able to download/install this thing now before May 8th so I can beat the rush? I have never used any keys for previous beta weekends although I have received some.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You should be able to, you don't log in until after you finish with the patcher and I've been able to patch up when the servers aren't up.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010
If you never used a key, you'll also still have to get one for the open beta.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Styrka posted:

If you never used a key, you'll also still have to get one for the open beta.

Yeah but that just involves visiting their website if I understand it correctly. That will hopefully be easy enough but I do expect some website down time. Being able to preinstall the game is one less headache.

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

Am I able to download/install this thing now before May 8th so I can beat the rush? I have never used any keys for previous beta weekends although I have received some.
This seems to work for me http://wildstarbeta.patcher.ncsoft.com/Wildstar.exe

On another note: Any decisions on a EU server yet? I assume "Goons are on the Nexus server" is for NA.
I only spend little time with this game, but it seems like cross region/realm/whatever-play is not supported :(

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Nephrite posted:

Yeah, I play a tank in WoW and have since way back in Vanilla, so I'm just trying to figure out if Wildstar is more on the "you have to constantly fight for threat aaaa" or "hit one button and everything is attached to you."

It sounds like it's something in the middle, with Warriors having some threat issues that I would guess would be ironed out before the game gets released.

I'm also a long-time WoW-warrior player and so far they haven't managed to do something to the class to make me stop liking it :v: Like, just the experience of being a warrior and having all charges and the leap is so fun to me that I just always shrug and adjust how tanking is done in the next expansion.

Gnome Warrior with Bulwark of Azintoth and blue cobalt armor, and tauren warrior in full Ymirjar transmog (probably some of the best looking warrior plate on a tauren) :v:

Just...playing a Warrior fills me with such joy and exuberance that it motivates me to do the best I can depending on current meta.

Wildstar Warriors can leap too? Sold.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 6, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So something I'd been wondering: Have they said that housing is no longer a 'kill the monsters to clear the land, start with a tent' thing? Is the way it is now how it's going to be at release?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

dreffen posted:

So something I'd been wondering: Have they said that housing is no longer a 'kill the monsters to clear the land, start with a tent' thing? Is the way it is now how it's going to be at release?

I'm not even sure what you are talking about here. Housing is a plot of land for you and you alone, and everyone gets one, there are no mobs on it, and I don't know if there ever were.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
In the initial trailer for housing it was implied that your plot would have crap on it you had to clear out.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It did at one point of the closed beta back when you had to do a few quests before you got full control of your land, but I believe they changed it so now it's just a "hey here you go" process.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Rhymenoserous posted:

In the initial trailer for housing it was implied that your plot would have crap on it you had to clear out.

Yeah this is what I meant, sorry. Too busy having a stroke and not making sense because I'm drawn to the official forums I guess.

miscellaneous14 posted:

It did at one point of the closed beta back when you had to do a few quests before you got full control of your land, but I believe they changed it so now it's just a "hey here you go" process.

That's unfortunate but not a big deal I suppose!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Yeah this works without problem since the installer doesn't require you to login to either install or patch the client, and the patching process just downloads off a content distribution network that is independent from the game servers themselves. You can even patch in new builds as soon as they deploy them on there, sometimes days before they actually open the servers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You still start with a tent, but the starter houses are either dirt cheap or completely free. I forget which.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

One thing that will likely help everyone with the pug experience: Regardless of circumstance, everything is going to be your fault.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rorus Raz posted:

You still start with a tent, but the starter houses are either dirt cheap or completely free. I forget which.
It's 1 gold. But you can just drop poo poo on the grass if you're not interested in springing for an empty building.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess I actually never did look at the plot, I just placed the house immediately. Whoops.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Has optimization improved since early Winter beta? The game has plenty going for it, but I was pretty appalled to be getting 10-25 FPS on a decent PC several months back.

edit: bad posting - typo

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 7, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This last beta weekend was better, but still not great.also textures are inconsistent as hell. On medium I sometimes get pretty sharp texture but other textures will randomly look like they're on super low.

I'm hoping they have a sizable patch to kick off open beta with, but who knows with only four days between then and the last beta weekend.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Is there/should there be a vote on guild name and faction choice soon since name reservations are apparently real soon?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

It's already chosen in the OP, I believe.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Captain Tolerable posted:

It's already chosen in the OP, I believe.

That's beta info.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
How many people are even interested in a Goon guild? I doubt there's enough to support an active guild on both factions, and from what I've seen, the majority are leaning towards the Exiles.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was getting the opposite impression, actually :shrug:

Would it be too weird of me to roll up both a (human Spellslinger) Exile and a (Chua Engineer) Dominion character? I don't want to limit myself to only experiencing half this game's content, but that would entail being in two guilds at once. This is my first faction-based MMO, so I'm not sure what the done thing is.

Beauaz
Mar 15, 2006

a cat on an apple posted:

How many people are even interested in a Goon guild? I doubt there's enough to support an active guild on both factions, and from what I've seen, the majority are leaning towards the Exiles.

The Exile city looks like its made of/covered in poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beauaz posted:

The Exile city looks like its made of/covered in poo poo.

Well the biggest goon guild in WoW is Horde and their main city Orgimmar looks like a pile of poo poo so it's consistent!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Psykmoe posted:

Wildstar Warriors can leap too? Sold.

You can have the leap act as a CC break too. Also you can have a death grip.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
gently caress the Exiles.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

a cat on an apple posted:

Where the heck are you seeing Exile bias? The biggest beta group has been on Dominion, and if this thread is any indication, Dominion is leaning to be the higher pop group at launch. There may well be an Exile group, but I'm sure as hell staying away from it from what I've seen of the early levels.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Fooma posted:

Where the heck are you seeing Exile bias? The biggest beta group has been on Dominion, and if this thread is any indication, Dominion is leaning to be the higher pop group at launch. There may well be an Exile group, but I'm sure as hell staying away from it from what I've seen of the early levels.

The faction with robots and heavy metal space hamsters as playable races is pretty clearly superior. Bonus: get to kill cat girls!

Solles
Apr 29, 2014
Never played in a goon guild before. Heard they came like an Army. If I'm looking for some progression and to make this my main game should I join the Exile guild or you think it just won't have the numbers to support a hardcore group?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody will take you until you make your introductory post in GBS.

Solles
Apr 29, 2014

comatose posted:

Nobody will take you until you make your introductory post in GBS.

Forgive me for being new and stupid but I just post in the GBS saying hey I'm Solles I like long walks on the beach and reacharounds? I would have done earlier but didn't see it in the forum rules.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
With all this talk about factions, it's probably good to point out now that you can't send mail/share items with the opposing factions, including your alts. There isn't a shared bank.

You also can't chat to the other faction outside of instances, think original Everquest languages (it becomes garbled). Although, I believe that this addon bypasses the filter.

On non-PvP servers, the auction house and commodity exchange are cross-faction.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Solles posted:

Forgive me for being new and stupid but I just post in the GBS saying hey I'm Solles I like long walks on the beach and reacharounds? I would have done earlier but didn't see it in the forum rules.

That's how you get into Goon guilds when you're new. This is basic knowledge, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Solles posted:

It's a fairly well known tradition.

• Locked thread