Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sydin posted:

It pisses me off how melee builds have five dozen armor sets to choose from at any given time, while we have hexer's set and archdrake set for 70% of the game and that's it.

I don't think you understand how this game works. 90% of armors have neither a str or dex requirement, with the max str being 20 and max dex being 14, and you'll have close to that as an int/fth/hex build regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Tallgeese posted:

Katana thrusts are much wider than they look. I've been hit by them while standing almost perpendicular to the other party and a good bit away.

It's quite impressive. Not even Claymore stabs are that bad, and you'd think they would be on such a large sword.

Katanas seem like one of the best PVP weapons because they have a reasonably good reach (excellent in the case of the Washing Pole) and the attacks are so fast, meaning you can attack quickly enough that your hits are counted through the lag, where other slower weapons will miss.

Dodging a greatsword I'll very rarely be hit, whereas katanas always seem to connect.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
God, the NG+ Gargoyles.

Can't even hit them before they finish the "coming alive" animation.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 6, 2014

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Internet Kraken posted:

The moment you equip Avelyn you have officially given up your funhaver card.

The only acceptable use of Avelyn is in conjunction with Greatsword so you can roleplay as Guts.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Greatswords have pretty broken hitboxes too, although differently so. The swings cover a much larger arc than the actual swing and the thrust has the same super-extended hitbox of the katana-thrust.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I don't think you understand how this game works. 90% of armors have neither a str or dex requirement, with the max str being 20 and max dex being 14, and you'll have close to that as an int/fth/hex build regardless.

Yes but the spellcasting sets get bonuses for some reason on top of already being good.

Theres not really a Lion Mage set Equivalent to Melee builds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think people have a tendency to underrate gear that isn't straightforward, posted bonuses. My caster has been kicking rear end all over the blood arena and invasions wearing the Bonelord's set. It doesn't have fancy +int or cast speed bonuses, but it has very good resistances and very low weight. I'm light as a feather off of my base vitality value and have solid across the board defenses. That's worth having slightly lower INT to me.

I also fight using a simple magic shortsword and the basic sorcerer's staff at 1 mil SM and I win at least four fights for every one I lose (I'm a +2 Blood Brother). I poo poo on the meta errday.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Ooooh boy just invaded a person who had a phantom and they were both powerstancing lightning avelyns, this is fun.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Kild posted:

Yes but the spellcasting sets get bonuses for some reason on top of already being good.

Theres not really a Lion Mage set Equivalent to Melee builds.

Pretty sure I saw a video testing the Lion Mage set's casting speed bonus: I believe it was somewhere between completely negligible and zero.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where is a good place to get large titanite shards? Got the archdrake staff upgraded to +5 since its the max I can manage so far

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

verybad posted:

Pretty sure I saw a video testing the Lion Mage set's casting speed bonus: I believe it was somewhere between completely negligible and zero.

Yeah, none of the casting speed items seem to matter if you have any int/faith investment at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

God, the NG+ Gargoyles.

Can't even hit them before they finish the "coming alive" animation.

I think you need to take a break. All you've been doing is complaining how this game isn't good. How long have you been playing it consecutively.

edit: I don't mean stop bitching or anything but you said yourself. You are burning out. Take a break from the game.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 6, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nahrix posted:

Imagine you get the hexer's set right away, and then have 10 more options, all of which are far shittier in terms of stats. Sure I have lots of options for melee theoretically. Practically, however, I've been running in the drangleic set the entire time for my first playthrough. I already get wrecked as is, and I can't afford to play Fashion Souls until NG, which is, in practice, the same situation for casters regardless of where the armor is located.

: Edit for massive run-on sentence.

This isn't actually true at all. The difference between the damage you take wearing Drangleic versus wearing Alva or whatever other melee appropriate set is basically negligible. You've been screwing yourself out of Fashion Souls for no reason :shobon:

And yes the dearth of variety in caster sets is totally stupid right now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, none of the casting speed items seem to matter if you have any int/faith investment at all.

The Clear Bluestone ring(+1) at least seems to be pretty useful, at least if using a slow catalyst like a Staff of Amana. I saw a pretty big difference, and I had 40 int. Can't speak to the Lion Mage set though, I'm not good enough at this game to go without having at least SOME defense.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

verybad posted:

Link to this video? I know casting speed overall is worthless for faith builds, but at least the bluestone ring is definitely significant for casters. (I have been wearing hexer's hood.)

Mzbundifund posted:

The Clear Bluestone ring(+1) at least seems to be pretty useful, at least if using a slow catalyst like a Staff of Amana. I saw a pretty big difference, and I had 40 int. Can't speak to the Lion Mage set though, I'm not good enough at this game to go without having at least SOME defense.

The +2 is stupid easy to get, you should get it!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The thing is that the most of the casting speed bonuses are negligible; 7 for each piece of the lion mage set, 2 for reach piece of the chaos set (or maybe it was just the hood?). Only real noticeable one is the Blue Clearstone ring+2. Really, the biggest difference I've found comes from the casting speed of the catalyst.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Shindragon posted:

I think you need to take a break. All you've been doing is complaining how this game isn't good. How long have you been playing it consecutively.

Not commenting directly on the guyyou quoted, but as a DS newbie who came close to quitting in the first couple hours of this game learning to treat each death as a form of comedy and managing frustration is what brought me back to continue. If I get frustrated I'll take a break and then come back later with the mindset of 'this boss is probably going to kill me hilariously about a dozen times' and then I'll settle in for the long haul.

Big surprise, after adopting that mindset the game became a blast and I also play better.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Okay what's the deal with this bug. When I sunbro or just grind souls via COOP, the sound from what I'm watching on my 2nd monitor goes really quiet, to like 10% of what I have it when playing solo. By this time I've beat the game six times so I don't care about "immersion" I just want to watch dr Phil while playing this game

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried a mundane build? All the wiki guides say to use the Santier spear for some reason. I would think with the way mundane scaling works you could just use whatever weapon has the moves/looks you like. And can you infuse any catalysts as mundane? Otherwise I guess pyromancy would be the backup to melee.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
So does anyone know if using an ascetic on the first bonfire in Grave of Saints resets the boss? Thinking I was such a crafty rat bro I burned two ascetics in the second bonfire which did literally nothing except make things harder on me. :downs:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So does anyone know if using an ascetic on the first bonfire in Grave of Saints resets the boss? Thinking I was such a crafty rat bro I burned two ascetics in the second bonfire which did literally nothing except make things harder on me. :downs:

2nd bonfire does, not the first one. The second bonfire is the one right next to the boss correct?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Zaius posted:

Man I'm getting a little bit tired of being eligible for invasions all the time in this game. I enjoy the PVP as a whole but it's annoying to be trying to warp back to majula just to get "Cannot use bonfire", and then having to wait for the invader to actually show up just so we can fight and I can move on.

Doctor Zaius posted:

Ooooh boy just invaded a person who had a phantom and they were both powerstancing lightning avelyns, this is fun.

Part of the problem, I see.

:stare:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Skilleddk posted:

Okay what's the deal with this bug. When I sunbro or just grind souls via COOP, the sound from what I'm watching on my 2nd monitor goes really quiet, to like 10% of what I have it when playing solo. By this time I've beat the game six times so I don't care about "immersion" I just want to watch dr Phil while playing this game

http://superuser.com/questions/450055/volume-randomly-turning-itself-down-on-windows-7-64-bit

It might be this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I just got an Old Whip, and was all set to go Belmont-Mode, but theres a problem!

Even with the Bracing Knuckle Ring, the thing just shits through durability!! I got maybe 30 hits with it before getting a warning!!

Can a regular whip be made awesome?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Foggy area of shaded woods+seed of a tree of giant+being a sinner in NG+ = lots of fun.
The seed effect seems to remain until you rest at a bonfire or leave it the area. Just keep using those dried fingers.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

I noticed that too, it also seems to lower my transmit volume to twitch.tv when streaming. I've had a couple of viewers who have pointed out that my stream volume drops to nothing when I phantom or summon a phantom then goes back up afterwards. Glad I saw this as now I know what the cause probably is and what to do about it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Annath posted:

So, I just got an Old Whip, and was all set to go Belmont-Mode, but theres a problem!

Even with the Bracing Knuckle Ring, the thing just shits through durability!! I got maybe 30 hits with it before getting a warning!!

Can a regular whip be made awesome?

The regular whip is fine and it's good to supplement it with throwing weapons as well. Granted it's still not as good as just running through and smashing everything into a paste with a mace but I've done quite well with just a regular upgraded whip.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Shindragon posted:

edit: I don't mean stop bitching or anything but you said yourself. You are burning out. Take a break from the game.

Eh, sometimes a guy just wants to vent a bit. That should be understandable.

But you're right, I need a break from this game.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Shindragon posted:

2nd bonfire does, not the first one. The second bonfire is the one right next to the boss correct?

Second bonfire is right next to the fog door, yeah. So if I ascetic the first one I won't have to deal with the Vanguard to get to the King again, right? Because I'm getting really tired of that fight.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Second bonfire is right next to the fog door, yeah. So if I ascetic the first one I won't have to deal with the Vanguard to get to the King again, right? Because I'm getting really tired of that fight.

Nope, first one is fine. In fact

I used the first one to basically farm out Rhoy offline so i can farm for awestones. :v:

edit: Nil, well venting is understandable. It's just I"m kinda similar where I'm like oh man not this poo poo again is a sign of alright time to put the game down for a bit.

ESPECIALLY THE GODDAMN CAPRA DEMON 2.O BULLSHIT.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

BrainMeats posted:

Has anyone tried a mundane build? All the wiki guides say to use the Santier spear for some reason. I would think with the way mundane scaling works you could just use whatever weapon has the moves/looks you like. And can you infuse any catalysts as mundane? Otherwise I guess pyromancy would be the backup to melee.

I believe the mundane damage bonus is flat. Same scaling on any weapon, so quicker hitting weapon scales better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

deimos posted:

Link to this video? I know casting speed overall is worthless for faith builds, but at least the bluestone ring is definitely significant for casters. (I have been wearing hexer's hood.)

The +2 is stupid easy to get, you should get it!

Which bonfire should I ramp up for the ring?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Welp, I finally encountered my first hacker in the Belfry Luna. Infinite health and of course a really bad player. I ended up getting killed after a very long fight.

Very annoying. I can't imagine them trying to PvP properly without using infinite health hacks. Hopefully VAC kicked in.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Which bonfire should I ramp up for the ring?

Undead Lockaway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is now a bad time for being summoned at lost bastille or am I too high at soul memory 375k or so? Its gone from near instant summons to nothing at the bonfire at McDuff

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

BrainMeats posted:

No idea if you can infuse catalysts with mundane but even if you can it doesn't do anything for you as the scaling is purely physical.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Jose posted:

Is now a bad time for being summoned at lost bastille or am I too high at soul memory 375k or so? Its gone from near instant summons to nothing at the bonfire at McDuff

I've been farming summons at Sinner's Rise whenever I need to re-humanise from about 300k SM, and it's still going strong at nearly 500k SM (as in, generally I'm getting summoned in ~2 minutes). I can't imagine Lost Bastille can have a very different summon range with how close together the areas are. Possibly just time of day, or maybe the servers having a bit of a moment.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
What's the best option to imbue my blacksteel katana? It's fire right now, but I'm not sure what effect scales with which stat. I have 0 points invested in faith and int right now.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

verybad posted:

It's pretty negligible but if you're specifically stacking cast speed it's worth it. Between the black hood and lion mage set, my int build's casting speed goes from 233 to 308, which knocks off probably an eighth of a second's time in casting crystal soul spears(and given how laggy the PVP is right now, that's actually a Useful Difference). The biggest price is fashion, I mean, you have to dress like this

instead of something like this

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Thinking of undoing my bleed on my manikin claws, as in all my pvp duels, I've only gotten them to proc once (with help from knives)

Should I change them away from bleed? Mindgames aside, bleed doesn't seem that handy. I'm around 40/40 for str/dex, I can lay in a lot of hits in a short amount of time, should I try poison? Or should I just make it fire for the extra flat damage?

Also, I've heard lances are super overpowered, is that true?