Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Do you want the lab I built for ICM231, it is basically auto lab for view. I never made a post about it or anything because I am unsure how many people actually would be interested in poo poo like this.
I'd love to see what you've come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd love to see what you've come up with.

Gotta upload the vAPP, mind if I send it to you tomorrow? I'll just make it a general post for anyone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Gotta upload the vAPP, mind if I send it to you tomorrow? I'll just make it a general post for anyone.

Awesome. Do it whenever works best for you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Okay, I think I'm at the final steps of my virtual desktop project.

I'm trying to set up a thin client and I'm running into difficulty.

I somehow got a thin client to boot to the part where it asks for a login but now I'm not getting anywhere.

I'm trying to use a thin station live CD I found but now it boots into a boot menu and I have a big vmlinuz thing where I can change boot options.

Anyways, when I boot it loads vmlinuz and then initrd and then sticks on a black screen. It looks like this kind of thing sometimes happens with grub (?)
I'm a bit lost.

Anyone have a better strategy for getting this running?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Out of curiosity is this for fun or a real production environment?

Never heard of that software you are using. What's the hardware behind it? Why not just a linux distribution of choice that is locked down?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Part proof of concept/demo, part to learn how to do it.

I want to be able to log into my view server using a computer that has no hard drive, the idea is that if I can demonstrate that, it proves that this could be a viable way to keep valuable information safe from some risks.

Edit: the environment is a pretty beefy PC that literally fell off a truck. It'd be totally unacceptable for us to give this to an employee as their desk computer so it's now a lab.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
It might be a graphics card incompatibility. I ran into this when installing CentOS on some older hardware recently. A regular install failed with a black screen after installing, rebooting, and getting past grub. Selecting "Install system with basic video driver" when I installed worked a treat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to try to get it working with a VM first. I'm just ticked off cause it's the end of my shift and I thought today was the day I'd get it working.

I found a thing on the VMware forums called tinycore that might work better. I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Edit: work is good when you're getting mad that it's time to go home.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 2, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyways, when I boot it loads vmlinuz and then initrd and then sticks on a black screen. It looks like this kind of thing sometimes happens with grub (?)
I'm a bit lost.
Edit the kernel line and add verbose and nomodeset remove rhgb and splash if present.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evol262 posted:

Edit the kernel line and add verbose and nomodeset remove rhgb and splash if present.

Any good reference on what all the kernel parameters mean? I was able to find a table for vga=xxx, but I looked all over for the other stuff without much luck.

I'm gonna feel stupid if it's in my RHCSA study guide :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
Is this a good place to ask about Citrix VM-related stuff, namely NetScaler 10.1 and XenDesktop 5.6?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Any good reference on what all the kernel parameters mean? I was able to find a table for vga=xxx, but I looked all over for the other stuff without much luck.

The kernel docs themselves are pretty comprehensive. https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Although there is some stuff like rhgb that is a vender specific parameter and isn't covered.

edit: now that I look that one doesn't actually describe "nomodeset" or "verbose" either.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 2, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It really depends on your distro, since some of the arguments (many of them these days) are handled by dracut or whatever is running init. Any "rd." or "RD_" arguments, for example, are doing to dracut, not the kernel. What distro is it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm on my second Linux based view client getting comparable problems and I think it's a hardware problem. I can get VMs to work fine.

I think it has to do with the way it connects to the CD.

I'm trying to get tinycore to work but it spits me into tc@box:~$

This should load into memory with no problem, no need for an HD, right?

Do you think I'd have more luck with USB or PXE? I've never done PXE.

For the thinstation the kernel stanza is
code:

vmlinuz initrd=initrd load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_blocksize=4096 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=524288 console=ttyS3 splash=silent vga=791

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
what vendor are you using for that image?

Sorry my google drive only does 15G uploads gotta find a new way to upload the vapp.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm on my second Linux based view client getting comparable problems and I think it's a hardware problem. I can get VMs to work fine.

I think it has to do with the way it connects to the CD.

I'm trying to get tinycore to work but it spits me into tc@box:~$

This should load into memory with no problem, no need for an HD, right?

Do you think I'd have more luck with USB or PXE? I've never done PXE.

For the thinstation the kernel stanza is
code:

vmlinuz initrd=initrd load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_blocksize=4096 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=524288 console=ttyS3 splash=silent vga=791

I mean, pxe for vdi makes more sense.

But dump why tiny core? And you realize you're dumping boot messages to the 4th serial port?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evol262 posted:

I mean, pxe for vdi makes more sense.

But dump why tiny core? And you realize you're dumping boot messages to the 4th serial port?

I actually have no idea what I'm doing. I've never done pxe so I was hoping to do something kind of like knoppix.

I found a thing on the VMware forums that would automatically build a TinyCore View iso with preset parameters. It works great as a VM but fails on my test computer. I went with it because it looked easy.

If PXE is the smart thing to do then I guess I should learn how to do it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I actually have no idea what I'm doing. I've never done pxe so I was hoping to do something kind of like knoppix.

I found a thing on the VMware forums that would automatically build a TinyCore View iso with preset parameters. It works great as a VM but fails on my test computer. I went with it because it looked easy.

If I'm guessing, I'd say that it's dropping you to busybox or similar because it's bombing somewhere in the init process.

PXE is the "smart" thing (especially ipxe) because you can rely on this process being complete.

Dilbert: how big is your vApp? I can host this...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Okay I've done enough teamster sessions tonight to tell it out.

Look team viewer/join.me before 7pm EST and I'll go over whatever the gently caress you want for your view environment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evol262 posted:

If I'm guessing, I'd say that it's dropping you to busybox or similar because it's bombing somewhere in the init process.

PXE is the "smart" thing (especially ipxe) because you can rely on this process being complete.

I think it's something to do with mounting the CD as a drive, but I'm not sure. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned because it's a great opportunity to learn more about a subject I'm very weak at.

As for PXE, I guess I'm going to have to learn a marketable job skill, ugh, twist my arm.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Project update:
Using PXE I can successfully get a computer to load up tinycore and then crash to tc@box:~$

I'm gonna figure this Linux thing out eventually.

I'm using an iso made by tinycore builder.
I was able to make a PXE menu that has an option that runs:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
append initrd=/boot/core.gz tftplist=/cde/onboot.lst

It does a bunch of cool loading stuff and then fails.

I actually kind of understand what this is all doing, I just don't know why it doesn't work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know if there's a VIB that will enable ESXi health monitors on different whitebox motherboards?

Finally built my AMD lab box around an ASRock 970 Extreme3 MOBO. Not expecting this to be something that is possible, but hey -- maybe I'm wrong.

edit: Oh yeah okay, this is an SMBus vs IPMI thing. Not gonna happen :v:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 4, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry for doublepost.

Can someone help me reconcile these two sets of numbers:

and

I suspect that "resource allocation" doesn't mean what I think it means. My machine actually has 16 and change gigs to dedicate to VMs, right?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't really understand that number either, but I think part of it is allocated to the system host. In the Configuration tab, System Resource Allocation. That + resource allocation almost = physical memory.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Makes sense. I'm not terribly worried, but I couldn't really wrap my mind around the ~4GB difference between those two numbers. The system reservation is only 2GB so there's still a gig and chance that's unaccounted for, but I'm throwing that on the backburner for now becaaaaause:

New question:

I created two vSwitches. By default ESXi installed with my crappy on-board realtek as vSwitch0. This wouldn't be a problem, however whenever I try to switch the MTU to 9000 it gives me an error. I presume this is because the realtek drivers might not support Jumbo frames. No problem.

I have a PCI Gig intel nic which ESXi 5.5 supports out of the box. I added it to my vSwitch0, then removed the realtek. Everything's working great. Assigned vSwitch0 MTU 9000. I created vSwitch1 for my VM network and since my VMs don't need Jumbo frames I assigned my lovely onboard realtek to do the deed.

I deleted the VM portgroup off my vSwitch since my intention is not to have any VMs running off that NIC/vSwitch.

So as it stands, I have:

- vSwitch0: MGMT, NO VM networks
- vSwitch1: VM network

I just tried to deploy VCSA, however when it got to the network part of the initial config it errored out saying that I didn't have permissions to the network or something to that end. This was confusing since I am logged in as root. I verified that there weren't any weirdo permissions I had to set on the only VM network on my box (vSwitch1 VM Network) and tried again. Same error.

I then added a temp VM network onto vSwitch0 and tried the deploy again. This time the network portion of the inital setup presented my temp vSwitch0 VM Network in the network selector dropdown during deployment.

I deployed the OVF and went to edit settings and changed it manually to my vSwitch1 VM network and everything is working fine.

I have no problem creating VMs from scratch and telling them to use the vSwitch1 VM network, so is it safe to assume that this is some kind of OVF deployment bug? I don't really deploy that many OVFs so creating a temp network on vSwitch0 isn't a huge problem and I'm probably going to delete it for now. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any weird permission settings I needed to change for OVF deployment after all.

Sorry for the :words:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Martytoof posted:

Sorry for the :words:

I wouldn't worry about it, it'll give the thread a break from me trying to figure out VDI.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Do you guys enable hot-add cpu / memory on your VMs by default? Only on a subset of machines by default?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

TeMpLaR posted:

Do you guys enable hot-add cpu / memory on your VMs by default? Only on a subset of machines by default?

We enable memory and CPU hot-add on all VMs by default. Only situation I can think of where issues could arise if you hot-add a CPU to a FT-enabled VM (Is this even possible?). Also older operating systems like Server 2003 have HAL limitations which can cause issues when attempting to add more CPUs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ugh, this serial-to-IP device is killing me.

I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-NETR...rtech+serial+ip

I have a Windows 98 machine on an ESXi host that has a proprietary MSDOS program that connects to a COM port. I figured I would add a virtual COM port using the network address of the Serial-to-IP device, but I can't for the life of me get it to work. There's a "driver" from StarTech that adds a COM port to the machine connected to that network address, but it won't run on Windows 98.

Any ideas?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Ugh, this serial-to-IP device is killing me.

I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-NETR...rtech+serial+ip

I have a Windows 98 machine on an ESXi host that has a proprietary MSDOS program that connects to a COM port. I figured I would add a virtual COM port using the network address of the Serial-to-IP device, but I can't for the life of me get it to work. There's a "driver" from StarTech that adds a COM port to the machine connected to that network address, but it won't run on Windows 98.

Any ideas?

Return the device you've got and order one that actually has confirmed support for Windows 98. Without working drivers the device you have will not work, regardless of whether your server is physical or virtual.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your other option is to run a Windows 7 VM and then Windows 98 inside that and pass what the Windows 7 computer sees as a hardware serial port through to the VM running Windows 98. But that's a very inception way of doing things.

Edit: It's on-topic to the thread title though!

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Caged posted:

Your other option is to run a Windows 7 VM and then Windows 98 inside that and pass what the Windows 7 computer sees as a hardware serial port through to the VM running Windows 98. But that's a very inception way of doing things.

Edit: It's on-topic to the thread title though!

I kind of hope that that sort of thing doesn't catch on or it'll be the kind of thing that lovely vendors depend on, similar to being stuck on old Java versions or specific versions of Internet Explorer.

"Oh, our software only works on VMWare Workstation 3.7 rev 2 that's running a vm that has Citrix inside of it that's running DosBox."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm surprised there aren't network serial servers that talk directly to VMware and show up as a hardware port to be used in a VM. Maybe there are?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What should I be reading so that I understand storage design for VSAN?

I'm buying 4 DL360 G8s and throwing 900GB SAS drives in all the bays, but I need a flash storage tier, and I'm not really sure how many flash disks and of what size I want to be purchasing here, and I dread getting this wrong and buying $50,000 worth of cached writes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would probably start here

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VSAN_Design_and_Sizing_Guide.pdf

and

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2014/05/vmware-virtual-san-hardware-design-guide.html

and

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware-TMD-Virtual-SAN-Hardware-Guidance.pdf

then go from there.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Design and sizing guide, perfect! I knew there had to be something better than the hardware design guide which was released yesterday (saw that one on feedly). That'll be perfect. Thank you. :)

And of course, any real world experience and "wish I had known"s that anyone could share would be appreciated. I went from "I have an idea" on Monday morning to "we'll buy it if you have me the quote by COB on Wednesday", and of course, not like I don't have a million other things to do, but like I said, I'd like to do this right.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

cheese-cube posted:

We enable memory and CPU hot-add on all VMs by default. Only situation I can think of where issues could arise if you hot-add a CPU to a FT-enabled VM (Is this even possible?). Also older operating systems like Server 2003 have HAL limitations which can cause issues when attempting to add more CPUs.

There is a large amount of memory overhead doing this, that is the main reason I had. I think I am going to do this for cpu but not memory, and then all new VMs start with 1cpu... CPU ready %s are fine during the day but too high during backups. I want to start to think longer term about stopping that.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

TeMpLaR posted:

There is a large amount of memory overhead doing this, that is the main reason I had.

How large is large? We also enable hotplug by default and this is the first time I've heard this.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Has anyone upgraded the openvswitch part of XenServer 6.2 before? The ancient crusty one XenServer comes with isn't coping with the traffic we're throwing at :(

Tempted to switch back to a simple Linux Bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've worked out all of the math on my VSAN project and determined the appropriate size of SSD, verified the exact model of HD on VMware's HCL, everything's in place there. However, I have a very simple question, and I think I know the answer, but it's one of those, if I get this wrong I am going to kick myself questions. Can someone verify for me that, if I use VSAN, I do not need to be concerned about disk count on a particular host for RAID considerations? I understand, or at least I believe that I am simply placing all disks into a cluster and that VSAN will mirror my data itself.

I ask because maybe on a typical DL360 I'd do say 8 drives, I can RAID 10 that. But I'm looking to do 7 drives plus a smaller SSD, and suddenly it's like, okay I can't RAID 10 this... that's fine right?

I'm sure I'm just too close to the problem - I pulled a full work day and then came home to read practically everything ever written about VSAN, but I think it's one of those where the answer is so obvious that no one has bothered to say it, which is why I want to make absolutely sure.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 7, 2014