Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

My parents have invested in a friend's pottery business in the Caribbean. Their loans have been returning 18% per year, and the friend wants to expand by converting a building to a second facility, but there's also some issue with a loan shark who charges 20% per month. The whole thing is time sensitive because of the loan shark. So they made me a proposal:

If my wife and I lend 5k for five years, my parents guarantee the loan and we receive 18% annually, then the principal in 2019. It's like a bond. My parents will also be given a small plot of land in-country in return. This makes sense for the Caribbean friend because he'll be spending so much less on interest.

I know my parents can repay the loan if it doesn't work out because they have quite a bit of property but can't easily lend the money themselves because they're cash poor. The 5k is a lot of money for us (about 80% of net monthly income), but not money that we were going to spend, just put toward our portfolio anyway. I kind of see it as an 18% guaranteed return instead of the volatility of the market. I don't really see much risk to the principal because I know my parents are good for it.

The added bonus is use of this property for vacations. I'm sure that would be available anyway, but now we feel like we're helping out.

Of course, nothing strictly legal will be drawn up and there's no insurance or any security beyond the word of my parents. I trust them completely.

Is my risk assessment at all accurate here? The cost is a smaller portfolio and tax return this year, with the remote possibility that we never see the money again.

On top of what the above poster has said, how are you planning on reporting this income to the CRA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ $900 a year? I guess I hope I don't get audited!

a worthy uhh posted:

Making your 'cash poor' parents repay you $5k on a dodgy 'investment' they're trying to cajole you into.

If we don't lend, they'll just get the money as a cash advance on some credit line anyway so it's all the same to them. This way the interest just goes to us instead of a bank.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

EugeneJ posted:

I'll post my budget later - I actually live quite modestly and in an area with low cost-of-living.

Had beaters before, never want to go through the "Yeah, you need $2000 worth of work to pass inspection" talk again with a mechanic. Seemed like I was doing that every year at one point.

I'm at the moment trying to figure out just how much climate should be factored into our car purchasing decisions and the best way to handle it.

For example, I live in Halifax. Our winter climate is very bipolar. This absolutely destroys our roads and our vehicles due to the need for salting the roads and constant freezing/thawing. In the middle of winter we can have a week of -15C weather followed by a day of 10C.

I know that living here rust and potholes will kill my car far sooner than if I lived in a more consistent, drier climate. Where do you live? Is that what was happening to your older cars?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm at the moment trying to figure out just how much climate should be factored into our car purchasing decisions and the best way to handle it.

For example, I live in Halifax. Our winter climate is very bipolar. This absolutely destroys our roads and our vehicles due to the need for salting the roads and constant freezing/thawing. In the middle of winter we can have a week of -15C weather followed by a day of 10C.

I know that living here rust and potholes will kill my car far sooner than if I lived in a more consistent, drier climate. Where do you live? Is that what was happening to your older cars?

People say Alberta is better for cars, but it's so not true. Halifax kills the outside, Edmonton kills the inside. Like, batteries, belts, tubes and poo poo all break up here. Not to mention the power bill from plugging your car in for four months at a time so your oil doesn't literally freeze solid.

I budget for it by looking at per kilometre cost and history and saving that much. Works well so far.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yes, I live in Western New York and corrosion is a major problem here. Rock salt is the devil.

It's amazing travelling to California and seeing people driving cars from the 1970s that don't look like they've aged a single day.

As promised, my monthly expenses:

Rent: 425
Student loans: 240
Car lease: 195
Car insurance: 87
Hospital bill from when I was uninsured: 80
Gas: 60
Utilities: 50
Food: 40
Credit card: 25

Total: 1202/month
Income: 1666/month (after taxes and health insurance deductions)
Net Gain: 464/month

Now here's where things get fun. The balance on my one Perkins loan is down to around $1500 and I'm going to pay that in full soon, reducing my student loan payment by $40. I'm going to qualify for full IBR this year and my Stafford loan payment will be $0, so that reduces my student loan payment by another $50. The hospital bill has 0% interest and will be paid off in a year, or whenever I decide to pay off the balance (it's at like $1200 now). The credit card I opened specifically for an emergency auto repair and has 0% interest for 18 months - I'll pay the minimum payments for a while and then pay off the full amount around Month 17.

So in about a year my monthly expenses will look more like:

Rent: 425
Student loans: 150
Car lease: 195
Car insurance: 87
Hospital bill from when I was uninsured: 0
Gas: 60
Utilities: 50
Food: 40
Credit card: 0

Total: 1007/month
Income: 1666/month (after taxes and health insurance deductions)
Net Gain: 659/month

If I could work it out so that my Net Gain is close to $1000/month, that would be phenomenal. If I bought a beater and insured it at the bare minimums, I would be close to that.

Asking for a raise soon, so that would help too :)

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
You spend $40 bucks a month on food?

What?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Those dumpsters ain't gonna dive themselves.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What?
All I can think is he's covered by the meal plan.

edit: oh wait, not in college?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What?

I'm thrifty.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm trying to figure out what thrifty means in this instance. Bums food off parents or friends? Extensive garden? Goes to soup kitchens? Extreme couponer? Lives off of top ramen?

No but seriously, that's pretty impressive.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

I'm trying to figure out what thrifty means in this instance. Bums food off parents or friends? Extensive garden? Goes to soup kitchens? Extreme couponer? Lives off of top ramen?

No but seriously, that's pretty impressive.

I only buy a few days worth of food ahead of time. Being a former fatty, I know the danger in having a stocked pantry.

It breaks down something like:

$10/month - generic boxes of Pop Tarts (work food)
$10/month - cheap cookies/crackers to have around the house
$20/month - pasta, rice, whatever sounds good for lunches/dinners

I only drink water and don't drink alcohol.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
gently caress yeah I finally was able to sign up for my company's 401k plan :woop: :woop:

EugeneJ posted:

I only buy a few days worth of food ahead of time. Being a former fatty, I know the danger in having a stocked pantry.

That's a pretty dangerous diet plan you got going there especially considering how much you've prioritized your car over your own general health.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 6, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Dude. You're going to die of scurvy or lupus or something by the time you're thirty-five. Even on literally rice, frozen vegetables, and beans I was hitting $90/month (probably increased because I had to eat like 3k calories/day on that poo poo because I'm active). But that was at least a sustainable and healthy diet.

Just buy a bag of frozen vegetables and eat it. Some fruit wouldn't hurt either. This is pretty much the definition of "penny wise, pound foolish". Sacrificing health is not worth $1200-2000 per year saved.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tuyop posted:

/\/\ $900 a year? I guess I hope I don't get audited!

Reported! : http://www.taxsqueal.com/

Anyway, I just bought a ton of delicious King Oscar sardines. I'm so happy.

EugeneJ posted:

Put some sardines on top of those crackers. You can get decent sardines from $1.00-$1.50 a can to $2.00-$2.50 a can.

I bought a $3.00 can today just because I want to try different brands.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 6, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That diet would make me want to kill my self...

I am going to with the find a better job and be able to eat like a human.

Folly
May 26, 2010
You're paying $200 a month for a car you drive so little that you only spend $60 in gas each month? That must mean your daily commute is < 12 miles round trip? Sounds like you could use a bike.

Also, my bullshit alarm is going off on that food budget. I don't think you're lying. I just think you're underestimating. Sorta like people tend to underestimate how many calories they eat when they're not tracking it.

Are these numbers your estimate? or is this the report of a multi-month tracking average?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
He could go with 30 cans of cheap sardines and a really big box of crackers. I would up the budget a bit though so you can get some more expensive sardines.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Folly posted:

You're paying $200 a month for a car you drive so little that you only spend $60 in gas each month? That must mean your daily commute is < 12 miles round trip? Sounds like you could use a bike.

Weather around here is only good 3 months out of the year and my commute runs through the hood, so a bike wouldn't work. If our transit system wasn't horribly inefficient I'd take public transportation.

I do go to other people's places for dinner a few times a month, guys. Don't worry about my diet.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Just got my electric bill for the month. $26.16.

The electric company here allows you to search an address and it will tell you the average electric bill for that address over the last twelve months, as well as the highest and lowest bill. I like looking at the info for the other people in my building and comparing it to mine. There's a lady in my building who has an apartment that is one of the smaller floor plans (I have the largest floor plan) and her average bill is almost $100 a month more than mine. I don't get how that's possible.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

EugeneJ posted:

I do go to other people's places for dinner a few times a month, guys. Don't worry about my diet.

Yeah that doesn't make it okay :stare: Seriously, add like 70 dollars to your food budget. You need to be eating some veggies and preferably some meat every day. God drat son.

The only water part is fine, hell it's great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Just got my electric bill for the month. $26.16.

The electric company here allows you to search an address and it will tell you the average electric bill for that address over the last twelve months, as well as the highest and lowest bill. I like looking at the info for the other people in my building and comparing it to mine. There's a lady in my building who has an apartment that is one of the smaller floor plans (I have the largest floor plan) and her average bill is almost $100 a month more than mine. I don't get how that's possible.

Basil.

GUYS, NOTE THAT THAT IS NOT BOLDED AND CAPITALIZED.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Speaking of basil I should show you where mine is at. My work herb box is going strong. Though I had to go in after hours and spray pesticides cause of the dirt i used being littered with bugs.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Veskit posted:

Speaking of basil I should show you where mine is at. My work herb box is going strong. Though I had to go in after hours and spray pesticides cause of the dirt i used being littered with bugs.

I believe you're referring to BASIL

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Basil.

GUYS, NOTE THAT THAT IS NOT BOLDED AND CAPITALIZED.

So... Pot?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I was going to suggest that perhaps grandma is mining bitcoin but I think that would cost her more than $100 bucks.

Anyway April kinda sucked because my wife and I ate out a lot due to being forced to carpool everyday, having to meet at lunch to do stuff for the new home and neither of us wanting to eat at each-others desk during lunch.

I brought sardines today (and mouthwash) and all the cars are fixed now so hopefully things will go much better.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 6, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
dbl post.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Old people like heat, if your building isn't new it costs a bunch of money to keep an apartment at seventy five degrees 24/7/365.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

I believe you're referring to BASIL

I thought it was basil when it's basil and BASIL when it's pot. :confused:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just tightened up my monthly fun budget a little bit to free up $50 that's going to increase my 401k by a percentage point, and put the contribution increase into the 401k site. This morning I made myself over 2k post-tax post-inflation income a year in retirement :getin:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Wife and I are both on business trips the next 2 days. Which means 2 days cost free.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Veskit posted:

I mean, that's the great mystery of Tuyop's thread. I believe that he was never referring to pot, so when he says BASIL he means the spice, and when he says basil, he means pot, but you can certainly find people who will argue the other point of view.

I think he's on the record agreeing with me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

:colbert:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Oh no. Now I'm really confused.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's both basil and pot until you smoke it and find out. It's Schrodinger's Herb.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Always use potters mix. You can prevent this next time by sterilizing your soil in the oven, though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Tuyop's in Canada, so Uncle Sam can't touch him.

I just listened to that This American Life story. Even the owner of the website wouldn't use it, why did he expect it to become a thriving business venture?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

Always use potters mix. You can prevent this next time by sterilizing your soil in the oven, though.

Thats a pro tip on the oven part. Also I did use potters mix, but I leave the bag outside and yeah the bugs got in. I got an organic pesticide though and after 2 treatments everything should be dead enough to where it's not an issue.

Only concern I have is my Cayenne in the box I may have to add a couple more seeds for that one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just heard an ad on Pandora for "organic checking". :barf:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Tuyop's in Canada, so Uncle Sam can't touch him.

I just listened to that This American Life story. Even the owner of the website wouldn't use it, why did he expect it to become a thriving business venture?

Oh he said that? I had to go into a store so I didn't get to finish it. Was the reason he wouldn't use it just because he prefers to go through the IRS himself or did he have better reasons?

Anyway I emailed that site to a few friends, one is always complaining about his boss and mentioning ways he's cheating on his taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Just heard an ad on Pandora for "organic checking". :barf:

What is that? Google makes it sound like a no fee chequing account.