Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Edmund Honda posted:

Well it's not Steam Workshop so it's already worse than most games that support mods on Steam.

Some third party site I've never heard of with a client and 'premium' subscription options?

All premium things are being made baseline with the new version of the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Squad will still run the forums, right? Curse's forum mods are notorious for promoting "modder's rights" in Minecraft.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Away all Goats posted:

There is no worse feeling than separating your science modules from your return pod after forgetting to EVA to collect the science. And your last quicksave was before you even landed on the planet :negative:

I just tired to EVA to collect the science from various modules and it said: "Removing data from this module will render it inoperative." I thought that was how you were supposed to use science equipment multiple times (before the science lab).

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Danny Glands posted:

Squad will still run the forums, right? Curse's forum mods are notorious for promoting "modder's rights" in Minecraft.

Just like with every studio they contact, Curse offers a ton of stuff when working with them. We like our community how it is, so we're only working with them on mod hosting.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Travic posted:

I just tired to EVA to collect the science from various modules and it said: "Removing data from this module will render it inoperative." I thought that was how you were supposed to use science equipment multiple times (before the science lab).

Certain modules (Mystery Goo, and Materials Bay) can only be used to gain science once per part, unless you have the Science Lab to reprocess them. You can reset them as many times as you like, but as soon as you transmit from them, or gather from them, they are used up and need reprocessing.

Other science modules can be used multiple times by default.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Travic posted:

It was, but now that there's a science lab some equipment can only be used once. You can still extract the data and get the science for it, you just can't do a second scan with that instrument during that flight.

(Unless you include, or dock with something that includes, the science lab.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, can't say I'm enthusiastic about the Curse deal after seeing what they've done to the Minecraft world. The problem with all the third party gaming file hosts is that they depend on annoying the users to fund their operation. The formula might be tweaked one way or another but it's always a combination of cramming ads in our faces and restricting access to downloads (speed limits, simultaneous transfer limits, and/or X file per hour limits).

Curse is just this decade's Planet ______/Fileplanet.

There's a reason everyone's always asking for Steam Workshop. It's clean and it works. No annoyances, just find a mod you like and click "Subscribe". When everyone has experienced a better solution it's hard to be happy with something worse.

Glad to see they won't be managing the forums, but I still will be ready with the "told you so" when the mod hosting gets shittier.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 6, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

wolrah posted:

Glad to see they won't be managing the forums, but I still will be ready with the "told you so" when the mod hosting gets shittier.

If Curse gives a worse experience than Spaceport I will stream myself singing a song of your choice.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
There's probably a decent chunk of people who never converted to steam so while steam workshop would be ideal using it as the sole replacement for spaceport would cut those people out completely. I hope you guys do put in workshop support later/when KSP is officially released, it's the most convenient mod platform I've ever used.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The way curse monetizes mods is a perfect enabler for sperg modders to get power-hungry. Curse is almost worse than adfly links.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

If Curse gives a worse experience than Spaceport I will stream myself singing a song of your choice.

Will you wear a costume too? :v:

(I do hope things go well for you as much as I want to see you sing something silly.)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
"Let it go" from the Frozen soundtrack.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SocketSeven posted:

Will you wear a costume too? :v:

(I do hope things go well for you as much as I want to see you sing something silly.)

My only good costume (a replica of the Spiderman suit used in the first Maguire movie, which didn't fit me because I'm two inches taller than him, who knew) was auctioned off years ago, however, I'm sure we can come up with something. I do have the flag 4chan sent me.

Edit: I hope this post ends in Goons.txt

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can't say I'm excited about Curse. In addition to the other things mentioned, don't they have a nasty habit of pressuring indie devs to make their wiks the "official" wiki, which they have a habit of abandoning completely the second the game's popularity (and wiki ad revenue) wanes?

This is only what I've heard, so I dunno. I have basically never heard anything good about them. :shrug:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can't say I'm excited about Curse. In addition to the other things mentioned, don't they have a nasty habit of pressuring indie devs to make their wiks the "official" wiki, which they have a habit of abandoning completely the second the game's popularity (and wiki ad revenue) wanes?

This is only what I've heard, so I dunno. I have basically never heard anything good about them. :shrug:

It's not really pressuring as much as it's an offer. I can't got into detail for obvious reasons but in all cases where there has been drama over passing over sites to them it has been on the indie dev's side. We said thanks but no thanks because we like the community as it is.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Maxmaps posted:

While I'm sure you and your fellows have thought things through, I too have heard only bad things about Curse. On the technical side, I'm sure it'll be better, but on the PR side? Only time will tell. Just to be safe, perhaps you should brush up on your Mandarin. :getin:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

While I'm sure you and your fellows have thought things through, I too have heard only bad things about Curse. On the technical side, I'm sure it'll be better, but on the PR side? Only time will tell. Just to be safe, perhaps you should brush up on your Mandarin. :getin:

Being serious for a moment, was well aware of the bad stuff attached to the Curse name all along and knew this was coming. I am all for weathering this if the end result is a better experience for our users.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Alright let us be positive then. You know how Steam was garbage in its early days? I think Curse will follow the same path and gradually (albeit more slowly) evolve into a spectacular gaming service, and Kerbal Space Program will be the vehicle that drives it.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Malcolm posted:

Alright let us be positive then. You know how Steam was garbage in its early days? I think Curse will follow the same path and gradually (albeit more slowly) evolve into a spectacular gaming service, and Kerbal Space Program will be the vehicle that drives it.

It may sound hyperbolic but they kinda floored me when they showed me their new client. It is dope.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Maxmaps posted:

It may sound hyperbolic but they kinda floored me when they showed me their new client. It is dope.

Why is this better than Steam Workshop, though?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Normally I would be as skeptical of Curse as everybody else, but since Maxmaps has both experience with terrible mod hosting and has to satisfy non-Steam users, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and see how this all plays out.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

shovelbum posted:

Shuts out non-Steam users which are a good chunk of our playerbase unless they're willing to jump through extra hoops for choosing us instead of Valve. It was the fairest way to set it up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

shovelbum posted:

While steam workshop is a good service for getting mods, it's not a very good service for managing mods. It does one thing, which is autodownload the mods you tell it to.

For games which require specific versioning or load orders, it's really not very good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maxmaps posted:

I am usually a reasonable man, so I'll take this bet and make a similar offer. If a year from now KerbalForge or whatever its called still allows one click downloading from the mod's page without a login and without Fileplanet-style "remember what dialup felt like?" limits on download speed (note: not saying unlimited is a requirement, but a few megabits/second is reasonable for free service, sub-1mbit/sec is not) I'll do the same. I'll even do it while wearing as much Curse gear as I can round up, I have plenty of long-time WoW player friends so I'm sure someone has something.

At the moment I see the experience as being pretty much equal to Spaceport **see edit**, so if they don't make anything worse you've got an easy win. I'm just not optimistic about that.

Subra posted:

There's probably a decent chunk of people who never converted to steam so while steam workshop would be ideal using it as the sole replacement for spaceport would cut those people out completely. I hope you guys do put in workshop support later/when KSP is officially released, it's the most convenient mod platform I've ever used.

At least I'm not saying specifically only Steam Workshop, but that if one's going to do something different it should be at least equally good and preferably improve on something. It's sort of like Origin and UPlay vs. Steam, the others only exist because the vendor wants to be their own special snowflake, not because they actually do anything better.

Basically look at what Steam Workshop did right and use that as a baseline for judging other options. If one part is worse, some other part should be better enough to compensate.

***edit*** VVVVVV Whoa, didn't realize the linked site was apparently the one intended for mod devs, the one intended for end users is a lot worse than Spaceport even as it sits.

Good: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/plugins/220198-kerbal-crew-manifest

Bad: http://www.curse.com/plugins/kerbal/220198-kerbal-crew-manifest

The end user version already has "download faster with premium" buttons and stupid interstitials, so if that's what they expect us to be using you might want to start exercising your vocal cords there Max...

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 6, 2014

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!
From the article about the KSP tie-in on their site:

http://www.curse.com/news/kerbal/49516-kerbal-space-program-and-curse-join-forces-on-mods posted:

Starting today, modders will be welcomed to start updating and uploading their KSP game mods to http://kerbal.curseforge.com. The existing website, http://kerbalspaceport.com, will remain open for modders to transfer their mods to the new site but will no longer be accepting new mods. Players will go to Curse.com to find Kerbal Space Program mods.

I wonder if Curse is going to feel a bit swindled here. The link for "Mods" at the top of the KSP forums takes you to this site, which Curse clearly intended for mod creators:

This is what you see if you go to http://www.curse.com/plugins/kerbal

This seems to be the site they would prefer "players" to use, since it's covered in ads, rather than the Curseforge site, which is set up for mod makers. The first page is much better for finding and downloading mods than the second one, which is just garbage.

fauxbama fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 6, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

fauxbama posted:

This seems to be the site they would prefer "players" to use, since it's covered in ads, rather than the Curseforge site, which is set up for mod makers. The first page is much better for finding and downloading mods than the second one, which is just garbage.

Speculating here, but it may be that Squad is paying for Curse to provide an ad-free mod browser specifically for KSP, exactly to avoid KSP players having to go through that junk "main" site.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

looks like a bunch of people on the ksp forums ain't too happy with this either lol

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

For games which require specific versioning or load orders, it's really not very good.
The Skyrim launcher on Steam can do load order, so presumably that's something that could be implemented by the developers.

Without knowing what the Curse-branded launcher does I wouldn't assume it's as good or better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fauxbama posted:

This is what you see if you go to http://www.curse.com/plugins/kerbal

Thanks for that curse, just made me panic the gently caress out and google when the hell mother's day was.

Edmund Honda posted:

The Skyrim launcher on Steam can do load order, so presumably that's something that could be implemented by the developers.

Without knowing what the Curse-branded launcher does I wouldn't assume it's as good or better.

That's built into skyrim, it's a version of bethesda's typical plugin manager.

An ingame KSP mod manager would certainly be nice, but if you're wanting an outside mod management solution, workshop isn't so great for it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

An ingame KSP mod manager would certainly be nice, but if you're wanting an outside mod management solution, workshop isn't so great for it.

An ingame mod manager in KSP would be amazing, only because it could let you have different mod sets for different save files, and not need to have multiple installations or uninstall/reinstall mods constantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nielsm posted:

An ingame mod manager in KSP would be amazing, only because it could let you have different mod sets for different save files, and not need to have multiple installations or uninstall/reinstall mods constantly.

That's a thought, it'd also be nice for managing memory as it could tell you how much is going to be loaded with each mod.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I gotta say that it's quite nice having Max here to give the other side of the story- Whether deserved or not, all the doom and gloom from most of the posters here kinda shuts out the reasons that the devs wanted to switch to Curse in the first place. As long as it's not horrendously lovely, I think it'll be fine in the long run- and if it was horrendously lovely I doubt the team would have chosen Curse anyway. You can always install mods manually.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Luneshot posted:

I gotta say that it's quite nice having Max here to give the other side of the story- Whether deserved or not, all the doom and gloom from most of the posters here kinda shuts out the reasons that the devs wanted to switch to Curse in the first place. As long as it's not horrendously lovely, I think it'll be fine in the long run- and if it was horrendously lovely I doubt the team would have chosen Curse anyway. You can always install mods manually.

SA's also way more reasonable than most of the internet, but hey, it's all part of the job I love.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm pretty dubious, this site looks awful. Was there a reason you couldn't just fix up space port into space port 2 with better tag management? As a one click hosting service it's pretty good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, some of us may be a bit disappointed at the starport replacement, but we still love ya Max. You and rocket you rode in on. :glomp: :jeb:

The_Skeeter
Jan 28, 2007
I put the mayo in Patty Mayonnaise
Just got the game as part of the Midweek special. Do I want to start with sandbox or career mode?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, some of us may be a bit disappointed at the starport replacement, but we still love ya Max. You and rocket you rode in on. :glomp: :jeb:

I'd like to second this, it's nice having a frank explanation as to why the decision was made. And it's not the worst decision either, there's not a huge number of options out there for decent mod hosting, if there were then there'd be no need for spaceport. Much as I'd like everyone to use sourceforge or something it's not really practical.

As suspect as I find the company if it's one click, no account hosting, that's a respectable deal. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

The_Skeeter posted:

Just got the game as part of the Midweek special. Do I want to start with sandbox or career mode?

Career! Sandbox part choices can be kinda overwhelming and make it incredibly easy to just make something that doesn't work at all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sandbox mode will give you everything to play with at once , career mode has only a few things to start and you unlock things as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

The_Skeeter posted:

I would say with how many parts there are now, that career is a much better place to start. It's very good at giving you the parts needed to progress at the right times.

• Locked thread