Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How do status infusions (bleed, poison) work, anyway? I've been using that poison-infused broadsword for a while in PVE and for all I can tell it hasn't even triggered once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

A tip on avoiding getting the hosts who never burnt the windmill: Put your soapstone sign in the pisswater basin at the foot of the stairs to the boss. People who haven't burnt their windmill will not see your sign with the pisswater over it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Also, I've heard lances are super overpowered, is that true?

They're not overpowered, people just have difficulty fighting against them. They're really fun, though, and very solid.

And by "they" I mean the Grand Lance, which is the only good Lance.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

How do status infusions (bleed, poison) work, anyway? I've been using that poison-infused broadsword for a while in PVE and for all I can tell it hasn't even triggered once.

A fair chunk of enemies are immune to various sorts of status build ups, they're more for players. Otherwise they work the exact same way they work on you. Every hit builds up the enemy's bar by X amount, as shown on the weapon, and when you've filled up their bar they get hit with the status effect.

edit: With poison, you'll know if it's gone off if you start seeing the damage number above the enemy's head tick up without you doing anything. Bleed used to have a blood explosion effect and noise when it went off, but I don't know if it still has it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 6, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardiovorax posted:

It works exactly as it does on you, but you cant' see their bars.

Maybe you've been killing things before you fill up their poison, or you're not hitting fast enough so the bar is draining.

But if you notice enemies losing health at all when you aren't hitting them, then they're poisoned.

Its very easy to poison most of the enemies in Earthen Peak and kill them without even having to engage in combat by just shooting arrows at poison pots nearby

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Poison arrows solve A LOT of problems. Always buy as many as you can from Gavlan.

Also buy poison moss, because even if you can't heal yourself in pvp you can use moss.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm not sure where to go now. I killed the Throne bosses, reached the top of the Dragon Shrine, completed the three memories in the Forest of Fallen Giants, and (eventually) defeated King Vendrick. What's next?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

TGLT posted:

A fair chunk of enemies are immune to various sorts of status build ups, they're more for players. Otherwise they work the exact same way they work on you. Every hit builds up the enemy's bar by X amount, as shown on the weapon, and when you've filled up their bar they get hit with the status effect.

So my manikin claws are 55 + something bleed damage, then I'm wearing the blood ring. Are the guys I'm attacking just having a huge bleed resist or something?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

RBA Starblade posted:

Which bonfire should I ramp up for the ring?

Like Alabaster White said, Undead Lockaway.

Skeleton Lords are super duper easy to solo.

1. Buy 20 or so Holy Water Urns from Targray (bluebro)
2. Attune Yearn
3. Go in
4. Burn 1st Lord with urns (2 or 3)
5. Cast Yearn
6. Burn 2nd Lord with urns
7. Cast Yearn
8. Burn 3rd Lord with urns
9. Cast Yearn

All the skeletons will be conveniently in the same spot, so now you have 2 options:
If you're not a Faith user:
- Burn the motherfuckers with urns
If you're a Faith user:
- Burn the motherfuckers with Soul Appease (and then urns)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Soul Appease doesn't seem to work on the Skeleton Lords adds. At least not the ones after using an ascetic.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm a terrible scrub that can't seem to pull the shield bash & jump attack reliably enough, it's way too finicky. :(

Is there any secret to it?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Soul Appease doesn't seem to work on the Skeleton Lords adds. At least not the ones after using an ascetic.

:shrug: I used urns for that entire fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

So my manikin claws are 55 + something bleed damage, then I'm wearing the blood ring. Are the guys I'm attacking just having a huge bleed resist or something?

Bleed just does extra damage, so you're probably triggering it occasionally and not noticing?

But yeah lots of enemies are resistant so you can't cheese them that way.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Drakes posted:

I believe the mundane damage bonus is flat. Same scaling on any weapon, so quicker hitting weapon scales better.

This is the case. You have to go really deep into mundane-specialization to get useful bonuses out of it (like, minimum stat 20 deep), and even then only a handful of weapons will benefit from mundane. The Sainter's Spear is heralded as the king of mundane weapons, but I actually don't like it very much. It can do a lot of damage, but I can do an equal amount of damage per stamina with a Black Knight's Greatsword but--and that leaves me more room to specialize. The Sainter's Spear moveset is also kinda garbage in PVP unless you manage to poiselock someone. The one-hand and two-hand running attacks can surprise people, but they won't win fights.

I'm at minimum stat 22 now (there's a point of diminishing returns at minimum 20--the mundane bonus goes from +6/min stat to +3/min stat) and a mundane dagger is actually pretty gnarly, and of course mundane Avelyn will wreck faces. But move up to anything with a higher base damage or better scaling and suddenly mundane hurts more than it helps.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm a terrible scrub that can't seem to pull the shield bash & jump attack reliably enough, it's way too finicky. :(

I think they're just finicky in general but I've had the best success by pressing up slightly before pressing attack.

Edit: True fashion souls is wearing a shield you never use just because it's perfect for your outfit

Orgone Accumulator fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 6, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm genuinely surprised there's no item/infusion/enchantment to boost equipment durability at a fee in DS2.

I chipped my drat dragon tooth on spiders :( :( :(

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Has anyone ripped apart the Dark Souls 2 data files yet and mined useful information like "which of the three different relevant pieces of headgear gives the biggest bonus to itemfind"?

Because this is important.

I've been hanging out in the Ditch shading while farming blue flames & souls with the prisoner's headwrap, rags, silver/gold rings, and jester gloves but I'd like to know if there's an appreciable difference between jester/traveler/prisoner.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So while invading my game got stuck on a loading screen. Had to force the game to close, when I reloaded it now trying to load that save causes the game to crash to loving desktop.

It was my first and only character at SL180. Now I started a new char. That save is hosed because the game crashed. loving amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

So while invading my game got stuck on a loading screen. Had to force the game to close, when I reloaded it now trying to load that save causes the game to crash to loving desktop.

It was my first and only character at SL180. Now I started a new char. That save is hosed because the game crashed. loving amazing.

Try killing the game and reopening it, I had that happen once and it fixed itself.

Also try going into the savegame folder and the game should keep a backup .zip of the saves, try moving the save folder somewhere else and unzip the .zip file, should be an old backup.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Any useful info on how much the Stone Ring affects poise damage?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oh man, bellbroing as a hexer is great. Dark fog to get them to close the distance and when they think you're just trying to poison them, pop them with dark hail up close.

Isko
May 20, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've been using this program to automatically make back-ups when I run it just in case something like this happens or if a hacker manages to find a way to screw up my game. It won't fix the problem but it will help prevent it in the future.

Isko fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 6, 2014

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

VisAbsoluta posted:

I have a mouse that you can assign macros to buttons. I can do either of those moves in a single click, and you can achieve the same with autohotkey probably.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

EightBit posted:

Any useful info on how much the Stone Ring affects poise damage?

Flat +10 iirc.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I invaded someone in the bell tower, and another phantom was there invading too. I waded in and guard broke the guy, but before I could smash him to pieces the other phantom shot like 10 fuckin' souls spears at him and killed him. :stare: What spell was that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NeurosisHead posted:

I invaded someone in the bell tower, and another phantom was there invading too. I waded in and guard broke the guy, but before I could smash him to pieces the other phantom shot like 10 fuckin' souls spears at him and killed him. :stare: What spell was that?

Soul Shower or Soul Spear Barrage no doubt.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Soul Shower or Soul Spear Barrage no doubt.

Neither of those fire actual soul spears though. I'd assume Soul Geyser.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I'm not sure where to go now. I killed the Throne bosses, reached the top of the Dragon Shrine, completed the three memories in the Forest of Fallen Giants, and (eventually) defeated King Vendrick. What's next?

Go back to where you fought the Throne bosses, the final boss will appear next.

It won't appear if you haven't defeated the Giant Lord in one of the memories yet

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
So mundane infusion adds scaling based on your lowest attribute according to the wiki? I don't pay much attention to scaling other than Str should be close to A as possible, why would mundane be useful?

AXSON JACKSON
Feb 13, 2011
Good to see alot of variations on play styles. I feel so boring with my +5 broadsword and board combo but it works for me. Any idea on how to open illusion walls that have messages too close to them?

I know a good bit are just tricks but legitimate ones seem to not respond if a soapstone message is right on it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Genocyber posted:

Neither of those fire actual soul spears though. I'd assume Soul Geyser.

I looked it up, it was definitely Soul Geyser. poo poo that looks cool like that makes want to be a sorcerer, except I usually don't have much trouble with them when I fight them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AXSON JACKSON posted:

Good to see alot of variations on play styles. I feel so boring with my +5 broadsword and board combo but it works for me. Any idea on how to open illusion walls that have messages too close to them?

I know a good bit are just tricks but legitimate ones seem to not respond if a soapstone message is right on it.

If there is an actual illusory wall then it takes priority over reading messages.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Go back to where you fought the throne bosses.

Fashion souls, finally achieved.

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Took a while but I got my Hidden Weapon spell from the bellboys. It really sucks that everyone seems to want to go to Luna when Sol is so much better. There's large gaps between summons in Sol but Luna is almost back to back and it is baffling. Maybe it's just that people have to go there for the gargoyle boss fight while Sol just has some items to pick up?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

I suppose it means my early warning detection system is gone, because when I'm watching videos on screen 2 I no longer have them get near muted about five seconds before a phantom invades.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man the shrine of Amana was piss easy the second I bought a few hundred lightning arrows from the chancellor and just sniped everyone with the dragonrider bow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So which Bonfire do I ascetic in order to beat up Executioner's Chariot again? I'd assume Purgatory itself.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If you've got 40/40 str/dex and are using a weapon with A scaling, is there any point to infusing it?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

If there is an actual illusory wall then it takes priority over reading messages.

Someone needs to put this poo poo at the top of the OP, I think this question gets asked every page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So, is there any trick to dodging the (late-game optional boss) Ancient Dragon's massive AOE attack? Even running directly away just seems to get me killed half the time. On the plus side, the run there is pretty easy (since I've genocided everything between the boss door and the bonfire.)