Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amergin posted:

Yes, by sending them to work in Bangladeshi factories.

Is this a joke or serious, your median post quality is so low it's hard to make assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

As SedanChair, a guy who actually does this kind of thing for a living, pointed out, the way to stop kids from being homeless is to give their parents houses.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it were cheaper to prevent homelessness rather than deal with results (use of law enforcement and emergency medical resources to deal with exposures, assaults, drug use on the street, etc.) would you change your mind?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cabbit posted:

If 80% of the top 10% hosed off with all their money, I wonder how much we'd have to tax the people who stuck around to break even.

I love this kind of "thinking" from libertarians, because it's as if our Randian masters can just climb up their own assholes into Galt's Gulch and leave all the parasites and moochers behind. If zillionaires were as hyper-sensitive to tax rates as their toadies insisted, they'd already all be citizens of Grand Cayman.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

Yes, I think the government should prevent children from being homeless. I do not, however, think the government should prevent adults from being homeless.

OK. Since homeless kids tend to have homeless parents, the most effective and efficient way to cut youth homelessness is to provide their parents with housing. Now, people like you can't abide that, so what we have is a patchwork of shelters, some that take women with families, some that take only kids, and very few that take adult men over 24. Long-term housing programs are similarly sparse and chaotic. This is the definition of an inefficient system, and it's not inefficient because of the size of government, it's inefficient because politicians and nonprofits have to pander to ignorant swine like yourself.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Amergin posted:

...ultra-liberal browbeating...

Not really. There's nothing about being right wing that obligates you to have crappy positions, and they're piling on you because you've got crappy positions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

Yes, I think the government should prevent children from being homeless. I do not, however, think the government should prevent adults from being homeless.

I legit don't understand how a person can have this view. So ok, what about poor adults with children, do the kids get government housing on the condition they leave their parents to freeze on the street?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I legit don't understand how a person can have this view. So ok, what about poor adults with children, do the kids get government housing on the condition they leave their parents to freeze on the street?

If you pretend you are a cold and heartless person, and also that you're a huge loving idiot, then it makes sense. This can be difficult to accomplish if you have any human empathy, however.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

CheesyDog posted:

If it were cheaper to prevent homelessness rather than deal with results (use of law enforcement and emergency medical resources to deal with exposures, assaults, drug use on the street, etc.) would you change your mind?

Certainly, and if you were able to get good evidence to support this then I'd be all for it.

However again, I'd want evidence. I don't, from my perspective and experience, expect law enforcement costs to be that high and I don't expect the medical expenses to reduce that much just because you have a roof over your head. There are also other things I'd consider - you give the homeless housing, great, but what prevents that housing area from becoming a low-income ghetto with a hard-to-break cycle of poverty, crime/gang activity, etc.

I don't say "don't provide free housing to the homeless" because I look down on the homeless, I do it because I don't think it's solving the issue of what causes homelessness, it's spending money on a bandaid that can then lead to other issues. But if you were to tell me the cost of a possible-ghetto is cheaper than having homeless people then sure.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One hour until we find out whether John Boehner suffers from electile dysfunction and if the Speaker of the NC House will have to go into a runoff with a man who thinks the UN's Agenda 21 is going to take away your God given right to own a nuclear weapon :toot:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SedanChair posted:

OK. Since homeless kids tend to have homeless parents, the most effective and efficient way to cut youth homelessness is to provide their parents with housing. Now, people like you can't abide that, so what we have is a patchwork of shelters, some that take women with families, some that take only kids, and very few that take adult men over 24. Long-term housing programs are similarly sparse and chaotic. This is the definition of an inefficient system, and it's not inefficient because of the size of government, it's inefficient because politicians and nonprofits have to pander to ignorant swine like yourself.

It should be noted that people in Utah crunched the numbers and discovered that the cheapest method of solving homelessness, that is literally the method that ends the problem while costing the least amount possible, is to just buy the homeless people an apartment with a social worker to help them (And they keep the apartment no matter what).

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Not really. There's nothing about being right wing that obligates you to have crappy positions, and they're piling on you because you've got crappy positions.

I'm pretty sure this entire thread defines conservative positions as "crappy".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

I don't say "don't provide free housing to the homeless" because I look down on the homeless, I do it because I don't think it's solving the issue of what causes homelessness, it's spending money on a bandaid that can then lead to other issues. But if you were to tell me the cost of a possible-ghetto is cheaper than having homeless people then sure.

God this is such a smug, condescending, stance to take. Do you know what the lowest rungs of society want? A place to sleep where they won't get their poo poo stolen or set on fire by sociopath yuppie kids, and some food that maybe came from a store with a brand name. No one thinks government aid will abolish poverty, we think it will make poverty not a loving living hell.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

Certainly, and if you were able to get good evidence to support this then I'd be all for it.

However again, I'd want evidence. I don't, from my perspective and experience, expect law enforcement costs to be that high and I don't expect the medical expenses to reduce that much just because you have a roof over your head. There are also other things I'd consider - you give the homeless housing, great, but what prevents that housing area from becoming a low-income ghetto with a hard-to-break cycle of poverty, crime/gang activity, etc.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/03/24/3418140/charlotte-homeless-study/

quote:

It is cheaper to give homeless people a home than it is to leave them on the streets.
That’s not just the opinion of advocates working to end homelessness, nor is it the opinion of homeless people themselves. It is a fact that has been borne out by studies across the country, from Florida to Colorado and beyond.
The latest analysis to back up this fact comes out of Charlotte, where researchers from the University of North Carolina Charlotte examined a recently constructed apartment complex that was oriented towards homeless people.
Moore Place opened in 2012 with 85 units. Each resident is required to contribute 30 percent of his or her income, which includes any benefits like disability, veterans, or Social Security, toward rent. The rest of the housing costs, which total approximately $14,000 per person annually, are covered by a mix of local and federal government grants, as well as private donors.
In the first year alone, researchers found that Moore Place saved taxpayers $1.8 million. These savings comes from improvements in two primary areas: health care and incarceration.
Residents of Moore Place collectively visited the emergency room, an expensive but not uncommon way homeless people access health care, 447 fewer times in the year after getting housing, the study discovered. Similarly, they spent far less time running afoul of the law, with the number of arrests dropping 78 percent.

Though opponents worried that homeless people would cause problems in the subsidized apartments, only 15 tenants have gotten in trouble and been asked to leave Moore Place.
Due in large part to the complex’s success, the Charlotte City Council unanimously approved appropriating $1 million to Moore Place in order to expand to 120 units.

you moron

e: it's that you go on about "oh, well hrmmery the evidence doesn't show" when it's right there with a loving cursory google search

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/03/24/3418140/charlotte-homeless-study/

you moron

e: it's that you go on about "oh, well hrmmery the evidence doesn't show" when it's right there with a loving cursory google search

"Moore Place opened in 2012 with 85 units. Each resident is required to contribute 30 percent of his or her income, which includes any benefits like disability, veterans, or Social Security, toward rent. The rest of the housing costs, which total approximately $14,000 per person annually, are covered by a mix of local and federal government grants, as well as private donors."

So we'll get homeless people across the nation to pay 30% of their income for rent and we'll also get private donors to help cover the difference?

And if the homeless can't pay, then...?

Also, I'm the one with a condescending smug tone but I'm also being called a moron by the entire thread. I'm missing something here.

EDIT: I mistyped, thanks kurona_bright.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 6, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Amergin posted:

Are you for real? Of course having even a basic area to sleep in, and leave your belongings, and wash and toilet regularly, would be a massive improvement in personal health! Leaving aside any parameters like stress reduction, my God, they could crash out without being rained on or kicked loose - even if you literally provided absolutely no climate control, at least they'd be out of the wind and the rain!

The rest of what you say seems to imply that you'd rather have dead homeless people than the risk of creating a possible-ghetto, and I think that's monstrous.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Amergin posted:

"Moore Place opened in 2012 with 85 units. Each resident is required to contribute 30 percent of his or her income, which includes any benefits like disability, veterans, or Social Security, toward rent. The rest of the housing costs, which total approximately $14,000 per person annually, are covered by a mix of local and federal government grants, as well as private donors."

So we'll get homeless people across the nation to pay 30% of their rent and we'll also get private donors to help cover the difference?

I think you need to read the article again.

EDIT: And of course you don't even admit you read the article wrong.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 6, 2014

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Nessus posted:

The rest of what you say seems to imply that you'd rather have dead homeless people than the risk of creating a possible-ghetto, and I think that's monstrous.

No, I'd rather local governments work with local businesses and shelters/social workers to figure out what training could be provided to the homeless, what skills they currently have, and what roles they could fill in finding jobs to find an apartment themselves.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

So we'll get homeless people across the nation to pay 30% of their rent and we'll also get private donors to help cover the difference?

Also, I'm the one with a condescending smug tone but I'm also being called a moron by the entire thread. I'm missing something here.

The guy above addressed your lack of reading comprehension, but I'll give you a crash course in basic human interaction: being a smug dick will in fact make people hate you more, so the fact that people are calling you a moron because they hate you when you are using a condescending smug tone should not be surprising.

Edit:

Amergin posted:

No, I'd rather local governments work with local businesses and shelters/social workers to figure out what training could be provided to the homeless, what skills they currently have, and what roles they could fill in finding jobs to find an apartment themselves.

You realize getting a job is a lot easier if you already have a house, right? If you go into an interview, they have a field on the form asking for an address, and you write in "I am homeless" do you think your chances are "good" or "bad" of getting that job?

Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 6, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jackson Taus posted:

I realize you're trying to distinguish between actual veterans of war and violence and "Rear Echelon Mother Fuckers", but you're doing a really lovely job of it. Plenty of soldiers come home with psychological, not physical, wounds and are really hosed up when they get back, and they need care just as much as the guys who lost a leg if they're going to function in society and lead a normal-ish life after the service. On the flip side, some of the more crucial jobs don't involve shooting people (medic for starters). And the reality of today's counter-insurgency warfare means that many "non-combat" roles are still fairly dangerous - the enemy (much less an IED) doesn't care if you're officially designated as a truck driver or as a combat trooper, he's still gonna go at you for wearing the flag.

Also, offering what amounts to a bounty to our troops for killing foreigners seems like a terrible idea incentive-wise. US Foreign Policy goals (and hence US Military goals) are almost never measured in body counts.

lol that post was a super-joke. I think you're ridiculous for thinking I'd actually advocate for what, as you point out, amounts to turning our troops into bounty hunters. That's freep insane, man.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Lemming posted:

The guy above addressed your lack of reading comprehension, but I'll give you a crash course in basic human interaction: being a smug dick will in fact make people hate you more, so the fact that people are calling you a moron because they hate you when you are using a condescending smug tone should not be surprising.

"You're so dumb compared to me on social welfare knowledge :smug:"

Seriously, if I'm coming off as smug it's unintentional, but whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Amergin posted:

1. What becomes of them in the interim
2. What becomes of them while they receive their trip through the Sorting Hat
3. What jobs?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Btw it's totally reasonable to say "I think people should be punished for what I see as poor life choices," and then argue from there, and we can skip all the numbers and stuff if you don't want to be repeatedly proven wrong on your assumptions.

No sarcasm, dude, that's what tons of people actually think, but if you want to argue just go ahead and come out with that, because the facts are going to be against you.

For instance, if people opposed to gay marriage could bring themselves to say "seeing two dudes kiss totally jams my boner," there would be a conversation, but since places like Michigan want to go with "facts and experts" to try and ban it, they get laughed out of court.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

Ok let me walk you through this because you obviously have never interacted with things like this.

These places, if someone has literally nothing, tend to help those people get on whatever government services they qualify for (you're not opposed to those are you?), or, and brace yourself for this poo poo, they try to get them work as well! It's usually not great work, I mean we're talking grunt work and sign spinning and poo poo, but it's pay and they get to come back to a place where they can be taken care of thanks to government aid and such. In this case the tradeoff for a place to stay and support and help with all that crap is whatever money they get they give 30% to the house for upkeep/utilities/supplies.

This is not 'paying 30% of their rent', I don't know how you got that.

edit: These places also help because as said if they give you a form and your address is "THE CORNER OF SEVENTH AND PINE, MAN, JUST POKE ME WITH A STICK IF YOU NEED ME" you're probably not getting that job, but if it's The Moore Place then you clearly have a stable place you live, and hey you may get that job.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

I understand I mistyped.

Nobody has responded to my comment on the private donors.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Amergin posted:

Businesses want there to a large segment of society impoverished and desperate so they can keep them paid as little as possible.

Anyway you were just given a link proving that it would save the government money to simply give housing to the homeless instead of keeping them on the streets, which is why I used quotations around the word efficiency in my last post, you don't actually want it and in fact support government waste as long as it keeps the homeless just that.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Businesses want there to a large segment of society impoverished and desperate so they can keep them paid as little as possible.

Anyway you were just given a link proving that it would save the government money to simply give housing to the homeless instead of keeping them on the streets, which is why I used quotations around the word efficiency in my last post, you don't actually want it and in fact support government waste as long as it keeps the homeless just that.

AGAIN, I am perfectly fine if, without private donations, this system works and is cheaper.

HOWEVER, the link you gave me included a NC example with private donations included.

EDIT: Reading the Colorado linked story, however, that is a great idea on using available resources to house the homeless.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 6, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Amergin posted:

I understand I mistyped.

If you think private charity would magically fill in the gaps and provide equal or greater levels of service, I think you have a high bar to prove. Now you may well prefer private charity for other reasons, although I think preferring the moral virtue of private charity to "the actual relief of the needy" tends to go against most theories of morality. And there is certainly a role for private charity in these operations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

Absolutely. 1.0s probably won't be detected, 2.5-3 you generally can if you're pretty close to the epicenter, and 3s, while mild and not really causing any damage, can be strong enough to be felt normally or even to wake you if you're sleeping. I've had 3.2s and 3.3s wake me up before.

Depth matters too. Water injection for geothermal projects in northern CA causes magnitude ~2-3 events that can be a serious nuisance (like knocking stuff off of shelves) because they happen at very shallow depths directly beneath where people live. The companies that do that track that stuff pretty closely for liability purposes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

I understand I mistyped.

Why should people's lives rely on private whims when the government is much more stable? If the government has a contract that says they will always give you x amount, why would a life where you have to hope private whims hold out be better?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Amergin posted:

what prevents that housing area from becoming a low-income ghetto with a hard-to-break cycle of poverty, crime/gang activity, etc.

That's really easy: you don't put it all in one place - spread it out across the whole metro area or whatever. This is not rocket surgery.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Nessus posted:

If you think private charity would magically fill in the gaps and provide equal or greater levels of service, I think you have a high bar to prove. Now you may well prefer private charity for other reasons, although I think preferring the moral virtue of private charity to "the actual relief of the needy" tends to go against most theories of morality. And there is certainly a role for private charity in these operations.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Why should people's lives rely on private whims when the government is much more stable? If the government has a contract that says they will always give you x amount, why would a life where you have to hope private whims hold out be better?

You're both misreading.

I was told that, from a government expenditure standpoint, it is cheaper to provide the homeless with housing than it is to leave them on the streets.

Great. However, private donations helped cover some of the cost in that article. I don't think it's wise to make a statement "It is cheaper" based off an example where private donations helped cushion some of the cost as that is assuming that private donation cushion will be there across the country, which obviously isn't true.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yogurt is now the official state snack of New York by a vote of 52-8. Andy Kaczynski has been live tweeting the debate tonight, in which questions were raised about whether raisins, potatoes, pretzels, and kale chips had been adequately considered. Also, "snack" was defined as not breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Amergin posted:

You're both misreading.

I was told that, from a government expenditure standpoint, it is cheaper to provide the homeless with housing than it is to leave them on the streets.

Great. However, private donations helped cover some of the cost in that article. I don't think it's wise to make a statement "It is cheaper" based off an example where private donations helped cushion some of the cost as that is assuming that private donation cushion will be there across the country, which obviously isn't true.

Maybe, just maybe, because of attitudes like yours, the government had to seek additional help in funding this test case.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

You're both misreading.

Even if it was all government odds are good it'll be an improvement if the cost is ~14k per person and it saved nearly 2 million.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

It doesn't matter whether it's cheaper or not because we have more than enough money to house everyone (not just the homeless) in the United States ten times over without even impacting the federal budget in a meaningful way.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

EDIT: Reading the Colorado linked story, however, that is a great idea on using available resources to house the homeless.

Holy poo poo you're right! I better copy down that URL! It's like it's a treasure trove of facts and information! Who knows when I might run across something like this again!?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Kinda surprised we haven't seen "service guarantees citizenship" as some kind of a right wing response to immigration reform. Maybe if Sky Marshall Bachmann had won the primary...

Biden also said a thing about stopping deportations recently, I guess time will tell if that was Biden foreshadowing or just him getting a heckler to quiet down.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Yogurt is now the official state snack of New York by a vote of 52-8. Andy Kaczynski has been live tweeting the debate tonight, in which questions were raised about whether raisins, potatoes, pretzels, and kale chips had been adequately considered. Also, "snack" was defined as not breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
I think they maybe had a point about the pretzels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

I think they maybe had a point about the pretzels.

Pretzels are the true snack, this yogurt bullshit is more east cost ivory tower trash.

• Locked thread