Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You needn't launch a mission on every downed UFO - ignoring them carries no negative consequences. But yeah, Long War definitely crashes quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

amanasleep posted:

the "Steadfast" perk, which flat out prevents panic from viewing allies getting wounded or killed.

Note that it doesn't prevent a soldier panicking from another soldier panicking :haw: Happened to Beaglerush in one of his (non-Long War) streams, after he gave one of his troops the medal that does the same thing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Download the hotfix from the Nexus to fix the crashes on UFO missions.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Samopsa posted:

Download the hotfix from the Nexus to fix the crashes on UFO missions.

I don't think I will. I kind of view the game crashing as a way of balancing long war's increased game length. It's a challenge. When I think about taking a mission I have to consider if it's possible that the alien ship is equipped with bits capable of ending the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'll give the hotfix a go, cheers.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

You needn't launch a mission on every downed UFO - ignoring them carries no negative consequences. But yeah, Long War definitely crashes quite a lot.

It's understandable that there'd be crashes and hitches as they're adding new features at a ridiculous rate. Once the mod stabilizes and they can focus exclusively on clubbing bugs (and they've even cured a few from the vanilla game) and tuning balance, things should be good.

And yeah, landed UFOs are usually way above your level in the early game. It plays nicely into the story that the aliens are waaaaaay more powerful than you and deliberately testing you for potential ascension rights, and that Meld is them throwing you a bone in the form of some unprogrammed, ready-to-use nanotech.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 6, 2014

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Jesus *poo poo* LW is a completely new game. I reached the point where I went entire campaigns in vanilla EW without buying new soldiers or losing any of the originals, but now I'm spending every funbuck I can beg, borrow and steal on more meat for the grinder. Lost three recruits to clear out a downed UFO with an intact power supply and was pleased with myself for it - in vanilla I'd be kicking myself if I lost a single man for any reason! In the past two weeks in-game I've juiced up exhausted veterans to prop up newb squads at the expense of them spending a week in the hospital after coming down from the :catdrugs:, had the aforementioned UFO that was assaulted by six recruits and a medic that had previously gone on a single mission, had nine new recruits come in at once only for them to all be dead, in hospital or exhausted within two days, and gotten into the habit of sprinting recruits at meld canisters despite the dangers because the contents are worth more than they are. And I'm not even two months in. It really feels like I'm barely holding on by my fingernails, and I love it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tehan posted:

gotten into the habit of sprinting recruits at meld canisters despite the dangers because the contents are worth more than they are.

This is how you know that Long War has 'clicked' for you. It really makes you think about the big picture, and just how expendable those little redshirts are. It makes XCom's leap into genetic modification and cyborgization all the more logical, too.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dominic White posted:

This is how you know that Long War has 'clicked' for you. It really makes you think about the big picture, and just how expendable those little redshirts are. It makes XCom's leap into genetic modification and cyborgization all the more logical, too.

Now if only the way they actually did those things made any sense at all :D

I wish they'd fix the organs, and make the mimetic effect a phantom-armor or ghost grenade-only thing. And make legs less of a one-sided choice.

I don't know if they could swing it, but if there was a brain-mod that gave squad-sight to all the guys with the same mod, and then another brain mod that bestowed a psy rating, and made the psy-chamber just something a soldier went into in order to raise their rating, it'd solve more weird mechanical problems and preserve some of the interesting aspects of LW into the late game, where it starts to get old, just like the base game.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
After not 'getting' long war a few betas ago, I'm giving it another shot and I gotta say I'm enjoying it a lot. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the sectoids abusing psychic attacks right in the first mission due to some unfortunate panic chains they caused, but it's still pretty fun.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Enemy Within, but it IS a totally different game and I would have gladly paid the price of an expansion pack over this. It's really, really well made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My main complaint is that it is a little tedious.

It takes a very long time to get things done because enemies like to spam attacks that stalemate the game, as well as the damage reduction making cover shooting very drawn out.

I spend a lot of time plinking at sectoids while they miss my soldiers or panic them to minimal effect. There's little in the way of truly decisive weaponry unless you out-tech your opponent. I can clear missions with no losses but it takes forever.

Also the huge numbers of enemies and drastically increased mission counts mean a lot of grinding, also the increased roster requirements mean you spend a lot more time using crappy soldiers and makes people very interchangeable. It lacks a lot of the personality of vanilla.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Hopeford posted:

After not 'getting' long war a few betas ago, I'm giving it another shot and I gotta say I'm enjoying it a lot. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the sectoids abusing psychic attacks right in the first mission due to some unfortunate panic chains they caused, but it's still pretty fun.
Sectoids being psychic-happy is a bug in the latest beta. They should still use them, but right now they're basically prioritizing them over everything, including killing one of your guys from a flank shot.

OwlFancier posted:

My main complaint is that it is a little tedious.

It takes a very long time to get things done because enemies like to spam attacks that stalemate the game, as well as the damage reduction making cover shooting very drawn out.

I spend a lot of time plinking at sectoids while they miss my soldiers or panic them to minimal effect. There's little in the way of truly decisive weaponry unless you out-tech your opponent. I can clear missions with no losses but it takes forever.
What difficulty are you playing on? This isn't as much of a problem on the harder difficulties because you simply can't afford to get into prolonged shootouts with aliens because you'll lose almost every time. Even vanilla XCom is much shootier on Easy/Normal than Classic/Impossible. And for what it's worth, they realize that not everyone is going to enjoy the super long campaign or mission spam, which is what the 'Not so Long War' second wave option is supposed to help with. It's not particularly well balanced right now since they're still adding dozens of new features every patch while trying to fix another three dozen bugs that pop up, but hopefully that will be a decent option some day.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did Long War rebalance the Progeny and Triad DLC campaigns, or should I just disable those to save myself some bother?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I think I may have a bit of a bizarre glitch - I keep getting the same map over and over again. Going to reinstall the mod and see if that clears anything out.

VDay posted:

Sectoids being psychic-happy is a bug in the latest beta. They should still use them, but right now they're basically prioritizing them over everything, including killing one of your guys from a flank shot.

Glad to know it's a bug, not a feature. That just makes me like the whole thing a lot more.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You probably need to clear the game's cache of 'maps played' so that the new maps introduced by the mod don't get unduly prioritized. I forget the key press, but it's in the LW readme.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Ah, thanks! Read the file but I totally missed that. It seems to be ALT+f10, for reference.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah that got me too; that's another thing that should go in any potential FAQ.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm ultra busy the next 24 hours, but I'm gonna try to get the FAQ up Wednesday night.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Did Long War rebalance the Progeny and Triad DLC campaigns, or should I just disable those to save myself some bother?

Rebalanced yes, made easier no. Did the first mission of Triad and as well as raining thin men there was also a zerg rush of them charging towards the starting area, about three groups of three. Total of eighteen aliens, if memory serves. Glad my A-team weren't out of rotation at the time :stare:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

poptart_fairy posted:

They've had increased enemy counts, and Beta 7 made the pre-spawned enemies actually patrol now, which makes things a bit more challenging.

Interesting...feature? I just had a terror mission pop up using the Newfoundland mission map.

"Something about that shark..."

:stare:

Cryssalid popped out of the shark. Spent the rest of the mission terrified to go near the whaling ship.

(it did not start vomiting monsters, thankfully)

Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 7, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Deuce posted:

They've had increased enemy counts, and Beta 7 made the pre-spawned enemies actually patrol now, which makes things a bit more challenging.

Interesting...feature? I just had a terror mission pop up using the Newfoundland mission map.

"Something about that shark..."

:stare:

Cryssalid popped out of the shark. Spent the rest of the mission terrified to go near the whaling ship.

(it did not start vomiting monsters, thankfully)

Hooooooooooly poo poo. I'd just say gently caress it for that mission. It's a long war, so choose your battles wisely. :v:

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

John Dough posted:

Note that it doesn't prevent a soldier panicking from another soldier panicking :haw: Happened to Beaglerush in one of his (non-Long War) streams, after he gave one of his troops the medal that does the same thing.

They've changed Steadfast to stop that actually, so Alien Trophy will be a good way to stop the early panic chains. Which is good, because it's not very useful at the moment.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Zore posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why 'gently caress Rocketeers' is such a thing.

I think I'll skip this iteration then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VDay posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? This isn't as much of a problem on the harder difficulties because you simply can't afford to get into prolonged shootouts with aliens because you'll lose almost every time. Even vanilla XCom is much shootier on Easy/Normal than Classic/Impossible. And for what it's worth, they realize that not everyone is going to enjoy the super long campaign or mission spam, which is what the 'Not so Long War' second wave option is supposed to help with. It's not particularly well balanced right now since they're still adding dozens of new features every patch while trying to fix another three dozen bugs that pop up, but hopefully that will be a decent option some day.

I've tried it on normal and classic. It's not that I really want to get shooty, because it's tedious as I said, and it's not really optimal. But with the changes to enemy accuracy and cover, and especially the sheer numbers of enemies, it's really not practical to do much else I'm finding.

I can't flank people because flanking just uncovers more aliens, I am regularly encountering a literal wall of aliens stretching from one side of the map to the other with no room to flank. So I just have to bunker into hard cover and try to pick them off with my machinegunners and snipers, those being the only people who can really do much at the start.

Being shooty is a viable strategy, I'm finding, or it's certainly more viable than trying to do anything against a horde of aliens who don't give you any space to get interesting, it's just also very tedious

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Air war status:

Still fuckin stupid. Medium UFO at the start of may swings by, all six interceptors go up and can't bring it down. Few days later another medium UFO comes by to pop the satellite over North America, home continent. Can't oppose it because the entire fleet is down for repairs.

I'm out. I liked it better when the air war was a non-factor rather than something that is basically a "roll dice to see if you get hosed" factor.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 7, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deuce posted:

Air war status:

Still fuckin stupid. Medium UFO at the start of may swings by, all six interceptors go up and can't bring it down. Few days later another medium UFO comes by to pop the satellite over North America, home continent. :roll:

I'm out. I liked it better when the air war was a non-factor rather than something that is basically a "roll dice to see if you get hosed" factor.

That's sort of another problem, the game will occasionally just do something like that, which is... not very helpful I find? I literally don't have any control over the air war. I can try engaging things or not engaging them, but any engagement puts fighters out of action, meaning if something does come up that's serious I can't counter it. So I either shoot nothing down which annoys the council, or I try shooting things down and risk getting hosed.

It doesn't seem a very engaging choice to me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

OwlFancier posted:

I can't flank people because flanking just uncovers more aliens, I am regularly encountering a literal wall of aliens stretching from one side of the map to the other with no room to flank. So I just have to bunker into hard cover and try to pick them off with my machinegunners and snipers, those being the only people who can really do much at the start.
Try using more engineers and infantry, specifically to blow up cover and then shoot the hell out of the aliens behind said cover. I agree that snipers are great since you can always plant them in the back of the map, but engineers, infantry, and scouts (especially with the updates in this latest beta) are the guys that consistently win missions for me.

Deuce posted:

Air war status:

Still fuckin stupid. Medium UFO at the start of may swings by, all six interceptors go up and can't bring it down. Few days later another medium UFO comes by to pop the satellite over North America, home continent. Can't oppose it because the entire fleet is down for repairs. :roll:

I mean, you could have not sent 6 (presumably) unupgraded fighters to fight a medium UFO two months into the game. Not being able to take down every UFO or complete every mission (like when a transport with 30+ aliens lands three weeks into the game) is a fairly big part of the mod, as is being able to recover from things like losing a satellite or a country.

If you look over the last few pages you'll see that I too think the air game needs balancing (in particular I still think a slight nerf to Scout UFOs so that you can actually reasonably engage them would do wonders), but getting mad because you couldn't shoot down the thing you're not meant to shoot down seems kind of silly.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The general idea seems to be that your starting fighters are about on par with a small scout, which is flavorful in theory but in practice means you either worship at the foul altar of the dread god Save Scum or you just loving lose your satellites because you fail to shoot something down and then your satellite gets hunted down while all your planes are out of commission.

Maybe the intended effect is for the player to mostly stay out of the air war until phoenix cannons and modules?

VDay posted:

I mean, you could have not sent 6 (presumably) unupgraded fighters to fight a medium UFO two months into the game.wonders), but getting mad because you couldn't shoot down the thing you're not meant to shoot down seems kind of silly.

Sometimes the aliens send a medium UFO to eat your satellite :negative:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VDay posted:

I mean, you could have not sent 6 (presumably) unupgraded fighters to fight a medium UFO two months into the game. Not being able to take down every UFO or complete every mission (like when a transport with 30+ aliens lands three weeks into the game) is a fairly big part of the mod, as is being able to recover from things like losing a satellite or a country.

Expecting players to let their satellites get shot down is a tad counter intuitive. The air war is loving dumb and i'm sitting out of every beta until it gets fixed.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

VDay posted:

Try using more engineers and infantry, specifically to blow up cover and then shoot the hell out of the aliens behind said cover. I agree that snipers are great since you can always plant them in the back of the map, but engineers, infantry, and scouts (especially with the updates in this latest beta) are the guys that consistently win missions for me.

If you look over the last few pages you'll see that I too think the air game needs balancing (in particular I still think a slight nerf to Scout UFOs so that you can actually reasonably engage them would do wonders), but getting mad because you couldn't shoot down the thing you're not meant to shoot down seems kind of silly.

Which means there was absolutely nothing I could do to protect the only satellite over North America. Because the satellite hunter was the same class. Further UFOs then go unopposed because I can't detect them and the enemy advances in tech faster because of something I had zero control over.

Taking a setback is far more acceptable if the player has at least some kind of agency over the situation. But this was literally "RNG says you lose a satellite today. Suck it."

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tehan posted:

The general idea seems to be that your starting fighters are about on par with a small scout, which is flavorful in theory but in practice means you either worship at the foul altar of the dread god Save Scum or you just loving lose your satellites because you fail to shoot something down and then your satellite gets hunted down while all your planes are out of commission.

Maybe the intended effect is for the player to mostly stay out of the air war until phoenix cannons and modules?
You pretty much can't engage anything larger than a scout before you get some upgrades. I think the main problem with the air game right now is that even a lovely little Scout can shoot down all of your poo poo from Day 1. That makes it a huge RNG roll every time they come up because you're always going to try and engage it. Making the scouts just a little bit easier to take down would (theoretically) let you at least train up your pilots, so that when you get just a few upgrades you'll have pilots that are good enough to actually hit/dodge stuff. As it is now though, there's always a decent chance that your fighter will miss his 3-4 shots at the scout, get hit once or twice, and be out for like two weeks.

quote:

Yeah and that's pretty lovely, but like I said LW seems way more focused on having you claw your way out of an initial hole, and they give you some extra tools designed for that. You can't just treat it like vanilla EW where you could go through a whole campaign without losing a guy, shooting everything down, and being a mile ahead of the aliens by the second month.

Deuce posted:

Which means there was absolutely nothing I could do to protect the only satellite over North America. Because the satellite hunter was the same class. Further UFOs then go unopposed because I can't detect them and the enemy advances in tech faster because of something I had zero control over.
You can detect UFOs over countries without satellites.

VDay fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 7, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VDay posted:

I do try to use explosive equipped soldiers but frankly, I have trouble carrying enough grenades for an entire map full of enemies. Also I have trouble getting close enough to use them efficiently.

Infantry are quite good I'm finding because of their ability to shoot twice, but this highlights the other issue, even one month in, I don't have enough useful specialist rank soldiers to send them on all missions, and I'm specifically trying to train up as many as possible. You get maybe one or two infantry, one or two grenadiers, and one or two snipers. I need at least one of each on any mission to do it quickly, I can do it functionally with all rookies, but to do it without resorting to a shooting war, I don't have the stuff I need.

I would understand not having the equipment to succeed (though I would question the ability to make that work without soldier inventories, you can't shoot a few aliens and take their stuff and abort the mission) but the game seems more like a quandary between success in an enjoyable amount of time, and success in an unbearably slow and agonising amount of time.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Tehan posted:

In Beta 6 anyway, I didn't even find the phoenix cannons to be all that helpful. Their short range combined with the short engagement timer meant that they seemed to be inferior to avalanche against scouts and stingrays against fighters, and they still lacked the firepower to take down anything large. So they'd be useful for the medium UFOs but the closing time meant they'd pretty much always take serious damage and be down for weeks.

The focus of my game is supposed to be squad tactical combat. I want to win or lose by my actions on that platform, not watching the RNG be depicted by two-dimensional flying saucers. I just don't think it's possible for a mod to actually make the air war a real addition to the game, the underlying problem is the entire mechanics of the air war involve little player input.

I dunno, maybe make some interceptor consumables available from day one. Then at least I have an option of influencing the air war before doing two months of research, and have the choice to allocate resources to something that affects things.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2014

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

VDay posted:

You can detect UFOs over countries without satellites.

When the RNG feels like it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also a sat is pretty cheap. Having a spare on hand in case you lose one is always a good idea.

Deuce posted:

In Beta 6 anyway, I didn't even find the phoenix cannons to be all that helpful. Their short range combined with the short engagement timer meant that they seemed to be inferior to avalanche against scouts and stingrays against fighters, and they still lacked the firepower to take down anything large. So they'd be useful for the medium UFOs but the closing time meant they'd pretty much always take serious damage and be down for weeks.
They're perfect when paired with tracking modules for bringing down medium UFOs when you really need to kill a medium UFO (like a Hunter-Killer, say). Yeah, they'll take damage, but they'll almost always kill it. They're not bad for wiping out scouts in a pinch too, but they're pretty module-dependent. I agree that having both of the mid-tier weapon techs be close-range is a little bizarre and really just extends the time until you can start turning the tables until plasma weapons.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Tehan posted:

Rebalanced yes, made easier no. Did the first mission of Triad and as well as raining thin men there was also a zerg rush of them charging towards the starting area, about three groups of three. Total of eighteen aliens, if memory serves. Glad my A-team weren't out of rotation at the time :stare:

I just tried this mission and about 2 rounds after the shooting started the VIP was dead, sniped by a thin man while hunkered down behind my line. I had a nice rage quit then, although I was still frustrated from the previous mission when it took me about 20 minutes to kill a single outsider because he kept regenerating all of his health when I'd gotten him down to 2 or 3 and my guys could not loving finish him off with 80-90% chance to hit.

I really want to love this mod but it seems anti-fun at times.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I hope they at least upped the bonuses you get from doing the DLC missions, from what I recall of B6 it wasn't really worth it to pursue Zhang. Now it seems like they're actively warning you against it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I hope they at least upped the bonuses you get from doing the DLC missions, from what I recall of B6 it wasn't really worth it to pursue Zhang. Now it seems like they're actively warning you against it.
The alloys and computers you get were utter godsends for me in B6. Completely worth the TSGT I lost on Confounding Light and the three TSGTs wounded for a month on the final.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bees everywhere posted:

I just tried this mission and about 2 rounds after the shooting started the VIP was dead, sniped by a thin man while hunkered down behind my line. I had a nice rage quit then, although I was still frustrated from the previous mission when it took me about 20 minutes to kill a single outsider because he kept regenerating all of his health when I'd gotten him down to 2 or 3 and my guys could not loving finish him off with 80-90% chance to hit.

I really want to love this mod but it seems anti-fun at times.

Well having a thin man pull some ridiculous poo poo has always been A Thing, and the full health regen is yet another bug in this newest beta. They added a whole lot of fairly big changes in beta 7 that unfortunately seemed to break a bunch of stuff, so I expect there will either be a couple of hotfixes or they'll release beta 8 early. At least, I sure hope so because the health bug in particular is brutal when combined with the new boss aliens.

e: The beta 8 change log mentions that they've already fixed the health thing, so now I really hope they don't sit on it too long and release it before the end of the week. Would love to give beta 7 a proper run this weekend.

VDay fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, outsiders regenerating all their health isn't intended? I thought that was the point.

It would be nice to not have to pile everyone onto them at once.

• Locked thread